EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: PS3 price cut ~$100
Maradon!
posted 09-22-2006 12:23:26 PM
Link to an online source

I heard this on the news and they had an interview with a sony rep saying the price was to be cut by about $100 for both the core and premium systems.

What's interesting is that I so called this.

Sean
posted 09-22-2006 12:26:25 PM
In Japan.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Maradon!
posted 09-22-2006 12:27:09 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Sean who doth quote:
In Japan.

And here.

Sean
posted 09-22-2006 12:30:40 PM
grandma can you not read

quote:
In a post-keynote question and answer session, Kutaragi made some more surprising announcements. After asking the audience if it wished the lower-end 20GB PS3 model would include HDMI, Kutaragi revealed that it in fact will. In Japan, the 20GB model will be getting a price drop from its original 59,800 yen ($509.72) price; the system will now be priced for an unspecified amount under 50,000 yen ($426.15). Sony did not announce any such change for other territories.

Willias
Pancake
posted 09-22-2006 12:30:45 PM
edit: sean got it

Willias fucked around with this message on 09-22-2006 at 12:31 PM.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 09-22-2006 02:17:29 PM
Sean beat me to it.

The PS3 will only see a price drop in North America following release, where the entirity of the continent does not collective cream itself and try to kill people at midnight launches to get one.

EDIT: And furthermore, where do you see it saying that the price drop is applying to the Premium system as well? I'm genuine curious rather than derisive, about that point anyway. All the news I saw said that the core system got the drop, and the premium system's pricing was actually being left to the discretion retailers.

Mooj fucked around with this message on 09-22-2006 at 02:19 PM.

Talonus
Loner
posted 09-22-2006 05:52:58 PM
quote:
There are no plans to lower prices in the U.S. or other markets, Sony
spokeswoman Nanako Kato said. In Japan, the game will hit stores on Nov. 11.
In the U.S., it will go on sale Nov. 17 at $499 for a 20 gigabyte hard drive version and at $599 for the 60 gigabyte version.

In other words, Japanese gamers bitched and Sony lowered the price. US gamers are not getting that same price drop, as the system will sell out here regardless of the price.

So yeah, after their horrible conference yesterday with absolutely no useful information things sound great about the PS3. White Knight Story looks incredible though.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 09-22-2006 07:55:08 PM
quote:
Talonus had this to say about Tron:

In other words, Japanese gamers bitched and Sony lowered the price. US gamers are not getting that same price drop, as the system will sell out here regardless of the price.

So yeah, after their horrible conference yesterday with absolutely no useful information things sound great about the PS3. White Knight Story looks incredible though.

Except that that makes no sense, as Japan has a comparitively stronger interest in the system when compared to the US, and they're getting only 100,000 systems at launch. Japan is assured to sell out, and would be even if they had the 400,000 systems that the US has alloted.

I do agree that Sony knows that the PS3 will sell out in both regions, so why the price difference? It's not hard to sell out when you cut your supply by 75% with no SIGNIFICANT reduction in demand.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 09-22-2006 07:57:39 PM
What I don't get is just how Sony can be making so many of these textbook mistakes in PR.

Kuturagi's keynote was an absolute joke, a "what the hell were you thinking?!" from an industry standpoint. I cannot believe that there are people at Sony who think that these kinds of statements are a good idea.

Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 09-22-2006 09:42:25 PM
quote:
Talonus painfully thought these words up:
White Knight Story looks incredible though.

Me and my sigpic agree.

Generally, there was a pretty good showing actually on the show floor. But the Sony keynote was just agonizing pain made into words.

The unfortunate part is that, aside from Lair and White Knight (developed by Factor 5 and Level-5, odd), most of the solid titles shown for the PS3 thus far are vastly-progressed sequels: Devil May Cry 4, Gran Tourismo 5betakinda, Final Fantasy XIII, Virtua Fighter 5.

Oh yeah and Resistance:FoM. Damn, that one screws up my conspiracy theory.

Generally I was pretty impressed by how things in motion looked though. Less than two months before launch, things are finally starting to shape up a little bit. Doesn't mean I'll get one at launch though.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-22-2006 09:58:19 PM
I can't read that site!

I've been wondering the PS3's library, recently. I figured that it would be vastly underdeveloped in comparison to the PS2...so, summarize White Knight Story for me

Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 09-22-2006 10:02:05 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan was listening to Cher while typing:
I can't read that site!

I've been wondering the PS3's library, recently. I figured that it would be vastly underdeveloped in comparison to the PS2...so, summarize White Knight Story for me

Press the left button with orange text. Brings up the HD trailer that's everything we know about the game so far.

Maradon!
posted 09-22-2006 11:10:01 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Sean who doth quote:
grandma can you not read

I didn't need to read it because this article is not my source, I only linked it because you turds can't be bothered to watch the morning news.

Headline on WPXI Pittsburgh this morning was that Sony's playstation 3 would see a $100 drop before release.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 09-23-2006 12:39:49 AM
Except that those articles seem to be ignoring the fact that it's been emphasized that the price drop is for Japan only. The industry has been reacting and responding to that fact that for the last 24 hours. I trust the gaming media over the morning news with regards to video games.
Sean
posted 09-23-2006 04:11:39 AM
I trust Kutaragi's (lying bastard he is) word, or lack of word, over morning news as well.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-23-2006 05:39:40 AM
White Knight is the first console game that I have seen that looks truely next gen. Quite impressive.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-23-2006 06:38:55 AM
Fuck. White Knight looks incredible; a whole new cooperative team combat system AND fucking transformers?

It more than makes up for the fact that Lenard runs like the Chairman of the Department of Faggotry.

nem-x
posted 09-23-2006 07:10:53 AM
Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-23-2006 07:15:50 AM
he runs like hes full of superbowl
Talonus
Loner
posted 09-23-2006 08:28:00 AM
quote:
Mooj had this to say about pies:
Except that that makes no sense, as Japan has a comparitively stronger interest in the system when compared to the US, and they're getting only 100,000 systems at launch. Japan is assured to sell out, and would be even if they had the 400,000 systems that the US has alloted.

Sony hates damn gaijins. They're already losing a bunch on each system sold. While they could afford to drop the price for good PR in Japan, where they're only putting out 100k units and they're not actually guaranteed to sell 100k units according to analysts, they couldn't afford to do so in America too. If the situation was reversed, I'd say we'd probably see the price drop here.

Oh, and;

quote:
We started by calculating the price for the US and European territories by looking at what consumers considered the 'magic price points'. In these territories, the prices we announced were very well accepted. We then converted that price to yen without giving consideration to 'magic price points.' The feedback was not supportive, so we lowered the price.

quote:
Maradon! was naked while typing this:
I didn't need to read it because this article is not my source, I only linked it because you turds can't be bothered to watch the morning news.

Headline on WPXI Pittsburgh this morning was that Sony's playstation 3 would see a $100 drop before release.

I quoted and linked the Detroit Free Press, a major newspaper. I think I'd trust a newspaper with a quote from a Sony spokeswoman, or any of the gaming websites that had people at the show, more than the morning news.

quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Mr. Parcelan said:
Fuck. White Knight looks incredible; a whole new cooperative team combat system AND fucking transformers?

And it's only 10% complete. This is both good and bad.

Oh, and Sony really wants to win hearts. They're considering charging $1 for demos. That's a winning idea.

Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 09-23-2006 12:52:14 PM
Apparently Kaz Harai was present at an english press event dealy in the Sony Japan offices and mentioned that there's going to be an event in the US closer to launch (sometime near the end of October) that will reveal all the remaining unknowns that were totally left out of the press conference at TGS. Such as what exactly the online service will entail.

Phil Harrison did show off a photo viewing program and the PS3's web browser that blow the Wii's versions out of the water, so who knows what else they'll show off.

(Sources on both of those are videos from Gamespot... look em up.)

And... yaay microtransactions? No. No yay.

Cobalt Katze fucked around with this message on 09-23-2006 at 12:52 PM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-23-2006 01:32:46 PM
Microtransactions are a good thing. You just have to not be stupid enough to spend your money where you don't think it's worth it. If it's necessary to play a game, then don't buy that game if you don't want the extra cost.

Microtransactions--namely the iTunes model--are a great thing for consumers. They'll probably bankrupt the stupid fanbois who can't live without [insert every tie-in to a product here], but that seems just to me. Consumers simply have to show the companies what will and won't work in terms of microtransactions.

In short, whatever happens isn't the fault of evil companies but stupid consumers.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Anakha
my standards skyrocket when im on my keyboard heh
posted 09-23-2006 02:11:45 PM
quote:
So quoth Cobalt Katze:
PS3's web browser that blow the Wii's versions out of the water

Because im totally gonna use my Wii to browse the web, considering i have my PC.

"Buzz Beer, the beer of attainable women!"
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
"The only problem i have is too much aggro."
Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 09-23-2006 03:00:18 PM
I think what many people forget in their indignation at microtransactions is that the companies have the makes money somehow, or you simply won't have any games to play. With the skyrocketing cost of developing games (plus, from what I hear, the huge increase of licensing fees as well) you are either going to pay 80-100 dollars a game, or you can pay 60 and have the CHOICE to buy gimmicky extras for $1 a pop.
Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 09-23-2006 03:03:11 PM
The PS3 was made by Turks. Don't buy it.
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 09-23-2006 03:07:15 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Noxhil2 wrote:
I think what many people forget in their indignation at microtransactions is that the companies have the makes money somehow, or you simply won't have any games to play. With the skyrocketing cost of developing games (plus, from what I hear, the huge increase of licensing fees as well) you are either going to pay 80-100 dollars a game, or you can pay 60 and have the CHOICE to buy gimmicky extras for $1 a pop.

And what about when those "Gimmicky extras" are the entirety of the game in the first place? Gran Turismo, I'm looking at you.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-23-2006 03:11:42 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Mooj squealed:
And what about when those "Gimmicky extras" are the entirety of the game in the first place? Gran Turismo, I'm looking at you.

Then vote with your wallet and teach them that consumers won't go for that kind of thing. Do like I hope you do with every other purchase: don't buy it if you don't think it's worth the money.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 09-23-2006 03:36:05 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Bloodsage wrote:
Then vote with your wallet and teach them that consumers won't go for that kind of thing. Do like I hope you do with every other purchase: don't buy it if you don't think it's worth the money.

Oh, I was absolutely intending not to. As a matter of fact, there has yet to be any game out there that I've bought "Extras" for after I bought the initial game. My point is, there is a very distinct line where Microtransactions go from a good thing to absolutely asinine.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-23-2006 03:40:35 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Mooj squealed:
Oh, I was absolutely intending not to. As a matter of fact, there has yet to be any game out there that I've bought "Extras" for after I bought the initial game. My point is, there is a very distinct line where Microtransactions go from a good thing to absolutely asinine.

It's only asinine if it's unprofitable.

Right now, companies are searching for a business model that will work. If people accept buying games and then paying extra for the characters or cars or weapons necessary to play those games, then it isn't asinine but good business. It's up to customers to decide what they'll accept and what they won't; it's a mistake to think companies can force things like this on consumers.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 09-23-2006 03:47:13 PM
PS3 is losing some of it's exclusive games. It'll have launch exclusivity, but an article I read a while back in GameInformer said that it looked like PS2 will NOT have exclusivity on a lot of the games it thought it was.

I'm not saying that the PS3 isn't worth the money...PS systems have inordinately long lifespans, and at the end of their production cycle, game creators are wringing mojo out of them that is still pretty impressive. But come on...a system that's almost double the cost of it's competitors? Give me a break. It's a bad idea.

As for Microtransactions...I'd be happier if I knew they could be stored safely. I know it rather defeats the purpose if I could stick it on my computer and just dupe it, but still...if I want to play with my save games and unlocked content at a friend's house NOW I just take the memory card with me. Somehow I doubt bonus content will save to a memory card.

HOWEVER...I don't have a beef with Microtransactions so long as it isn't following the MMO model of "upgrade game or be a loser because you have NO PHAT LEWTZ!". Seems fair enough. A buck or two for something genuinely cool doesn't bother me. Just wish I could get third party (IE consumer made) stuff. But then, if I want that, I'll just play it on the PC.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 09-26-2006 10:57:52 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Ozimander wrote:
The PS3 was made by Turks. Don't buy it.

So, it's Reno and Rude's latest attempt at defeating Cloud and the gang?

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Steven Steve
posted 09-26-2006 11:41:38 AM
I'm not sure I understand White Knight Story. How is it different than any other typical JRPG other than the fact that it has responsive AI a la Half-Life 2?
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 09-26-2006 12:48:59 PM
quote:
Did someone say Stalwart Steve:
I'm not sure I understand White Knight Story. How is it different than any other typical JRPG other than the fact that it has responsive AI a la Half-Life 2?

It has a responsive AI? that looked scripted to me.

Steven Steve
posted 09-26-2006 02:00:06 PM
I had a feeling.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Anakha
my standards skyrocket when im on my keyboard heh
posted 09-26-2006 02:53:12 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Knight Rider:
PS systems have inordinately long lifespans

What PS are you talking about? Because it sure isn't the PS2, with the highest amount of defects in a console, ever. I've never replaced any of my consoles because they have broken. Everybody i know who had a PS2 pretty much HAD to replace it when the slim came out, because their PS2s were going out, and not runn ing anything anymore.

"Buzz Beer, the beer of attainable women!"
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
"The only problem i have is too much aggro."
Willias
Pancake
posted 09-26-2006 03:29:16 PM
quote:
Anakha had this to say about Robocop:
What PS are you talking about? Because it sure isn't the PS2, with the highest amount of defects in a console, ever. I've never replaced any of my consoles because they have broken. Everybody i know who had a PS2 pretty much HAD to replace it when the slim came out, because their PS2s were going out, and not runn ing anything anymore.

Gotta point there.

My first PS2 finally started dying right around the slim one came out. Stopped reading half the games I played, and those it could play I had to put the disk in 3 or more times before it would read.

Willias fucked around with this message on 09-26-2006 at 03:30 PM.

Sean
posted 09-26-2006 03:36:56 PM
PS2 problems were also notoriously easy to fix. Provided you weren't a complete dumbass and could handle a screwdriver.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 09-26-2006 03:42:08 PM
quote:
Sean stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
PS2 problems were also notoriously easy to fix. Provided you weren't a complete dumbass and could handle a screwdriver.

And were using it in a well ventilated spot without it standing up.

No idea how many returns/exchanges I handled on PS2's where the customer was using it in it's standing position. :/

Sean
posted 09-26-2006 03:45:51 PM
I've used my PS2s in a standing position since launch.

Plural because one did break. When my dog pulled it off my nightstand. I opened it up and found the memory card fucked up a bunch of wiring when it punched through the shell.

tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 09-27-2006 07:20:33 PM
My PS2 was bought a few months after launch, and has sat on a carpeted floor in a basement for all of it's life. It still works perfectly.

My roommate keeps his vertical on a bookshelf, a few inches off the floor, and his also works perfectly.

In fact, the only person I know of to have any trouble with theirs knows the cause: some spray he uses that's supposed to remove cigar smoke to cover the weed smell from his parents got inside his system tray, all over his copy of Tekken 5, and all over a DVD and tore each apart.

There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: