EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Dragon Quest VIII
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 09-27-2005 01:12:05 AM
I got the Demo Disc from EB just because I brought up me wanting it to the guy at the counter. (random babbling)

I played it. It was like an hour, hour and a half. One full quest arc thing.

Oh man..oh man...why aren't more RPGs all Cell-shady like this? It's sooo clean and awesome. And it's not stupidly easy like most recent RPGs I've played. Great accents were given to the characters in the dub. Not too shabby, really. I like combat from what I got to play of it. It plays really like a classic RPG only a lot prettier.

I want this game a whole whole lot. It needs to be out now.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-27-2005 01:18:36 AM
A difficult, good looking RPG due out soon? Sign me up!

KH2 I still love you, baby, I just needed some release while you were away. Dragon Quest VIII, make me feel young again. No, seriously, I don't remember playing a challenging RPG at any point in my teens, and I turn 20 in a month.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 09-27-2005 01:20:42 AM
Just remember, I very well may be slightly retarded on one side and it could just be average difficulty for some of you veteran RPGers.

But, I did see it as definitely harder than recent FFs, and a couple GBA games (Riviera and KH:Chain of Memories being the first two that come to mind).

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 09-27-2005 01:23:15 AM
Cel shading is for communists, child molesters, and Eugene Levy.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 09-27-2005 01:23:16 AM
As long as the difficulty is on par with DW7 (Not as easy as any of the Final Fantasy games, yet not hair-ripping-outingly difficult either), I'll be pleased.

However, I have a question. DUBS? Did they finally give characters VOICES?

Any news on the job system? Will it be as mind-numbing as DW7's?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-27-2005 01:24:22 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Mr. Gainsborough:
Just remember, I very well may be slightly retarded on one side and it could just be average difficulty for some of you veteran RPGers.

But, I did see it as definitely harder than recent FFs, and a couple GBA games (Riviera and KH:Chain of Memories being the first two that come to mind).

I'm not much of a veteran RPGer. I didn't even finish FF6 (OMG 3 NOOB HURRR). Really, the only RPGs that I've actually completed we're produced by Squaresoft/Square Enix. I didn't like Enix's games beforehand. I didn't finish FF8 or FF9. Fuck, the only console RPGs I've completed are FFVII, FFX, Chrono Trigger, and Kingdom Hearts. Oh but I love them so..

I need to actually play FFTactics and Disgaea, though. I keep putting them off.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 09-27-2005 01:24:56 AM
I've been drooling over this one for months. The demo tour came here to Indy, but it was the same day as my company's picnic at the zoo so I missed it

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 09-27-2005 01:26:54 AM
quote:
Khyron's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
As long as the difficulty is on par with DW7 (Not as easy as any of the Final Fantasy games, yet not hair-ripping-outingly difficult either), I'll be pleased.

Prepare for pleasure

However, I have a question. DUBS? Did they finally give characters VOICES?

I did mention the dub in the original post. It seems fairly good. Lots of vivid voices.

Any news on the job system? Will it be as mind-numbing as DW7's?

No clue. I don't read previews of games normally.

Skaw
posted 09-27-2005 01:31:17 AM
As long as the story isn't as retarded as DW7, I'll be happy.
Khyron
posted 09-27-2005 01:32:31 AM
quote:
How.... Mr. Gainsborough.... uughhhhhh:
Whatever

Well, the job system can't be as bad as DW7's. Which wasn't a bad system really, it was just unimaginably tedious and boring as hell trying to work up to the elite jobs.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 09-27-2005 01:33:51 AM
quote:
Skaw had this to say about Cuba:

Man, I really wanted to play DW7 after seeing stuff about DW8 a while back just because I haven't got to play many DW games. But everything I hear about it is negative. Explain bad things about it and what DW games I should point myself to in order to gain happiness. I beat the everloving hell out of DW3 for GBC and I think I'm in the middle of the 1&2 collection for GB.

I also have the first one for NES. Arggggh commands to go up stairs.

Skaw
posted 09-27-2005 01:36:39 AM
Really, the only thing bad about it is the story(Atleast, the begining half,) and peicing together the "maps."

Everything else was pretty good, except for the class system.

Play all of them if you'd like.

Khyron
posted 09-27-2005 01:37:46 AM
quote:
Skaw thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

What was so bad about 7's story?

God and Satan get into a fight over the earth. They sort of stalemate, so Satan sends his devils out to cover the lands in darkness. Each land is sealed into eternal darkness, save one.

The story follows how you (The hero) rescuing each land from eternal darkness by travelling back to the time at which they were sealed away, and preventing them from being sealed by defeating the devils, etc etc etc.

Khyron
posted 09-27-2005 01:41:53 AM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough attempted to be funny by writing:
Man, I really wanted to play DW7 after seeing stuff about DW8 a while back just because I haven't got to play many DW games. But everything I hear about it is negative. Explain bad things about it and what DW games I should point myself to in order to gain happiness. I beat the everloving hell out of DW3 for GBC and I think I'm in the middle of the 1&2 collection for GB.

I also have the first one for NES. Arggggh commands to go up stairs.

7 had a decent story. Nothing groundbreaking or spectacular, but nowhere near as retarded as, say, FF8's story. (Seriously, Time compression? WTF.)

The class system was annoying, but only because I'd always obsessively force myself to level up the classes until I became the elite tier 3 classes, which took ages to do.

The only other annoying bit that stands out in my mind is that it takes a while before you get to any combat situations. You've got to go through quite a bit of exploration, as well as one puzzle-only dungeon before you can start fighting, but it's worth it once you get there. But if you know where to go (IE : Gamefaqs) then the first bit can pass by fairly quickly.

Hireko
Kill a fish before breakfast each day
posted 09-27-2005 01:54:20 AM
I'm playing through DW7 currently, and love it. While some of the locked land's stories are a bit corny, many of them are great. The class system is fine as long as you don't obsess over getting the best abilities in the game. I haven't been, and the game hasn't gotten insanely difficult. I love how old school the game is. My only complaint is the music is very repetitive for such an incredibly long game.

I am sad to hear that DW8 is dubbed. Dubbed games usually have subtitles, but they're never done as well as undubbed games. PS1 games are more friendly to the hearing impaired.

Those who dance are thought insane by those who can't hear the music.
Father McKenzie
Pancake
posted 09-27-2005 02:41:42 AM
See, I like this sort of Cel Shading.

For some reason, game makers seemd to start thinking that being cel shaded meant you could draw them like crap and completely ruin any sense of proportion or natural movement.

El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 09-27-2005 02:42:49 AM
quote:
Sakkra wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Cel shading is for communists, child molesters, and Eugene Levy.

Maybe I'm reaching here, but does anybody else spot the irony?

Strip Club - Online Comic Reader and Archiver for Linux and Windows (and maybe OSX)
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 09-27-2005 02:46:18 AM
quote:
El Cuchillo had this to say about Tron:
Maybe I'm reaching here, but does anybody else spot the irony?

It was intentional. Kudos for catching it.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 09-27-2005 09:19:38 AM
quote:
Father McKenzie had this to say about (_|_):
See, I like this sort of Cel Shading.

For some reason, game makers seemd to start thinking that being cel shaded meant you could draw them like crap and completely ruin any sense of proportion or natural movement.

It's Goku with a sword!

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 09-27-2005 09:21:03 AM
quote:
Verily, Dr. Gee doth proclaim:
It's Goku with a sword!

Or Chrono with black hair. Don't blame Toriyama for sticking to his style of character design.

Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 09-27-2005 10:45:29 AM
Visually, looks amazing. I can't get over the PSX-gen midi synths and NES-style bleeps when anything happens though... If graphics can come such a long ways away from the pixels on a screen, why can't the music and audio as well?
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 09-27-2005 10:48:07 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Cobalt Katze:
Visually, looks amazing. I can't get over the PSX-gen midi synths and NES-style bleeps when anything happens though... If graphics can come such a long ways away from the pixels on a screen, why can't the music and audio as well?

I think it's meant to be that way because so many people adore retro stuff lately. Myself included.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 09-27-2005 12:36:37 PM
FREE STUFF ALERT

Square Enix has a promo thing goin' on. Get the demo mailed to you if ya fill out this form. If you put in a friend's e-mail address you get a Slime keychain.

Khyron
posted 09-27-2005 12:51:39 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough painfully thought these words up:
FREE STUFF ALERT

Square Enix has a promo thing goin' on. Get the demo mailed to you if ya fill out this form. If you put in a friend's e-mail address you get a Slime keychain.

Kickass!

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: