EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Why Do You Ignore People?
Kait
has made another completely pointless and off-topic post that nobody cares about
posted 06-27-2005 09:54:27 PM
Whatever, I'll just put the options here:

Actually, first I should state this is not in any way, shape or form a flame thread. I know people have me on ignore. For a while, my own ignore list contained a few names. I'm not beat up over it, I just accept it as a part of internet immersion and move on. I am just curious as to the psychology behind the ignore list, and what it means to various people. Especially on EC

So, do you ignore people to:

1-make a statement, essentially, "I think you are an idiotic troll and not worth the time it takes me to read your post!"

2-just avoid the irregular logic of the person, since if you can't understand it, you should ignore it

3-cut out the chaff/people who never really add or contribute to the matters at hand, leaving only the people who really seem to know their stuff and have valid opinions on the things you care about

Or 4-you name it?

Kait fucked around with this message on 06-27-2005 at 10:03 PM.

"A black cat dropped soundlessly from a high wall, like a spoonful of dark treacle and melted under the gate."
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Sean
posted 06-27-2005 10:00:05 PM
quote:
Why Do You Ignore People?

So this thread won't show up on the front page.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Kait
has made another completely pointless and off-topic post that nobody cares about
posted 06-27-2005 10:04:33 PM
quote:
Sean got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
So this thread won't show up on the front page.

Well, that plan seems to have failed ^-^;
I apologize for my fuck-up in not knowing how to properly make a poll.

Edit: It picked a totally misguiding line to use for the preview. How annoying.

Kait fucked around with this message on 06-27-2005 at 10:09 PM.

"A black cat dropped soundlessly from a high wall, like a spoonful of dark treacle and melted under the gate."
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-27-2005 10:12:27 PM
I ignore people the good ol' fashioned way: With the awesome powers of my mind...
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Kait
posted 06-27-2005 10:17:56 PM
quote:
JooJooFlop stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
I ignore people the good ol' fashioned way: With the awesome powers of my mind...

Haha, yeah, that's what I do. I don't think most people really ignore the people they have on their list, anyway. They use the red dot to make a statement, then they read the post anyway, 'cause curiosity killed the cat and all that jazz ^-^ Don't be afraid! I won't judge you! Freedom of the press! Er, wait, what?

-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Malbi
posted 06-27-2005 11:04:23 PM
Only had one person on ignore ever and it was for 1, 2, and 3
I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 06-27-2005 11:04:35 PM
I ignore people who piss me off enough to push the button.
Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 06-27-2005 11:15:04 PM
Only had one person on ignore ever and that was a forced ignore. I prefer to laugh at people.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-27-2005 11:28:16 PM
I don't ignore people, because I prefer to call people out and expose idiocy as such.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Tier
posted 06-28-2005 12:42:14 AM
Sometimes I get irritated and ignore someone... Then I feel bad, and I take them off. It's against my nature =/
Gork
Pancake
posted 06-28-2005 01:00:53 AM
You have the gall to post options 1 and 2... and say this is in no way a flame thread?

quote:
We were all impressed when Kait wrote:
Is that for real?
'Cuz if so, $50 says the owner is an illegal immigrant, and that's why she's so hesitant to, you know, get help.

People may however have you on ignore specifically because you say things like the above biased, and hardly supported line of 'irregular logic that I can't understand.'
Heres my regular logic: 1)Her SUV has California Plates(They are in LA), 2)she is dressed like an idiot middle-class person, 3)The dog has a licence on its collar.

I don't have anyone on ignore, because it would impair my ability to accurately respond to a thread in kind.

Another Unsolved Mystery is goin' down in history.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-28-2005 01:07:59 AM
I only ignore Kennatsu.

Why? So I don't have to see his threads or posts. So I guess 1, 2, and 3 apply.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 06-28-2005 at 01:08 AM.

Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
I've had a few beers but I'm cool to drive
posted 06-28-2005 01:11:06 AM
quote:
Gork Model 2000 was programmed to say:
You have the gall to post options 1 and 2... and say this is in no way a flame thread?

People may however have you on ignore specifically because you say things like the above biased, and hardly supported line of 'irregular logic that I can't understand.'
Heres my regular logic: 1)Her SUV has California Plates(They are in LA), 2)she is dressed like an idiot middle-class person, 3)The dog has a licence on its collar.

I don't have anyone on ignore, because it would impair my ability to accurately respond to a thread in kind.

You completely lost me...

edit: oh and I haven't ignored anybody

Caid '5 Fists' Berrit fucked around with this message on 06-28-2005 at 01:13 AM.

'But if I had a shotgun you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heavan on down for you'

Bradley Nowell
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 06-28-2005 02:01:37 AM
I only ignored Waisz for a few months. At this time his bragging/showing off/fishing for compliments was unbearable. For me at least.

I think he's doing better now.

Edit: And that was the only time I was on someone's ignore list too. Guess it was some kind of "You are ignoring me?!? ME? No, I'm ignoring YOU! Haha, fuck you!" type of reaction.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 06-28-2005 at 02:04 AM.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Demos
Pancake
posted 06-28-2005 02:37:22 AM
The only person I have on ignore right now is because they kept making stupid political comments in completely unrelated threads.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Ares
posted 06-28-2005 06:12:08 AM
Blackened
posted 06-28-2005 06:12:46 AM
quote:
Ares.
I don't have anyone on ignore.
That's it you're going on ignore

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Ares
posted 06-28-2005 06:28:53 AM
quote:
Blackened said this about your mom:
That's it you're going on ignore

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 06-28-2005 07:36:09 AM
I put somebody on ignore once because their posts made my eyes cross. The person was since banned. It was probably Somthor, but my memory is kinda flaky at times. In most cases, I tend not to ignore people, because the people I'd ignore are the ones who act as a disruptive influence (intentional thread derailing, unprovoked insults, etc), and ignoring them doesn't do any good unless it actually gets them to shut up, which it doesn't.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-28-2005 09:35:28 AM
quote:
Kegwen said:
I only ignore Kennatsu.

Why? So I don't have to see his threads or posts. So I guess 1, 2, and 3 apply.

Kenn's not too bad, and he's actually a really nice guy.

I've never seen someone put so much into the community, or go out of their way to help someone so much, as Kenn does in SWG.

Mod
Pancake
posted 06-28-2005 11:15:40 AM
I think I've only ever had two people on ignore. A bunch of people still ignore me because they hate my stance on appropriate ways to enforce traffic laws.

Mod fucked around with this message on 06-28-2005 at 11:17 AM.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 06-28-2005 11:16:49 AM
I ignore people who contribute nothing at all to the boards. Think there's only one or two on there right now.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 06-28-2005 11:30:08 AM
I'm only ignoring parce, and I'm on Sean's ignore list... but I think it's easier for me not to fight with him this way.
Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
NullDevice
Internet Tough Guy
posted 06-28-2005 12:23:04 PM
I don't use the boards ignore functions.

I have an internal ignore function that has a few people on it's list. However in a couple of their cases they seem to not understand that they are being ignored and attempt to 'communicate' anyway.

Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 06-28-2005 01:23:38 PM
i only ignore one or two people (can't remember who right off the top of my head) But only because at some point they bugged me. I'm being ignored by like four for various reasons. *shrug*
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-28-2005 02:09:49 PM
quote:
So quoth Mortious:
Kenn's not too bad, and he's actually a really nice guy.

I've never seen someone put so much into the community, or go out of their way to help someone so much, as Kenn does in SWG.

While I've heard he's a great guy in SWG and generally a good guy to talk to, not once has he posted anything I've wanted to read on these forums.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 06-28-2005 at 02:10 PM.

Kait
posted 06-28-2005 03:13:39 PM
quote:
Ares had this to say about Optimus Prime:
I don't have anyone on ignore.

It's all communal love

-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 06-28-2005 03:17:03 PM
I had Parcelan on ignore for a while, but I realized it was stupid and petty and took him off.

Other than that, I haven't ignored anyone. I just don't read people's posts, generally.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 06-28-2005 06:02:30 PM
I like to go through big threads that the majority of the active members have posted in, the MP3 thread for example, and ignore random people.

It's fun and you inevitably get twenty PMs of, "wtf why are you ignoring me!!!!!!!!"

Ares
posted 06-28-2005 06:13:49 PM
Mod has me on ignore, which made me go "WTF, I've never talked to him.".
Snoota
posted 06-28-2005 06:14:16 PM
It's official. Everybody hates Ares.
Ares
posted 06-28-2005 06:15:27 PM
quote:
Snoota was listening to Cher while typing:
It's official. Everybody hates Ares.

Snoota
posted 06-28-2005 06:16:06 PM
ares
Mod
Pancake
posted 06-28-2005 06:19:05 PM
quote:
Ares had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Mod has me on ignore, which made me go "WTF, I've never talked to him.".

I shouldn't have you on ignore any more, I think I put you there for a while because you made some horribly racist comment about turks in all seriousness.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Ares
posted 06-28-2005 06:23:20 PM
quote:
Mod was listening to Cher while typing:
I shouldn't have you on ignore any more, I think I put you there for a while because you made some horribly racist comment about turks in all seriousness.

Actually, no I didn't. I don't have any problem with Turks. What I *said* was that there was a group of men (probably all related or friends) from Turkey that have joined a fantasy art community that I'm a part of just to try to get girls to cyber with them (including girls who are underage and have told them no multiple times). That's not what the community is for. It's supposed to be a place to have people come and share their work and prose, not cyber. And yet, girls, including myself get anywhere from 1-9 messages a day from these men who all happen to be from Turkey, which is why I believe they are either all friends, or just a few guys with multiple accounts.

Mod
Pancake
posted 06-28-2005 06:27:27 PM
quote:
Ares Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Actually, no I didn't. I don't have any problem with Turks. What I *said* was that there was a group of men (probably all related or friends) from Turkey that have joined a fantasy art community that I'm a part of just to try to get girls to cyber with them (including girls who are underage and have told them no multiple times). That's not what the community is for. It's supposed to be a place to have people come and share their work and prose, not cyber. And yet, girls, including myself get anywhere from 1-9 messages a day from these men who all happen to be from Turkey, which is why I believe they are either all friends, or just a few guys with multiple accounts.

quote:
Turkish stalker from one of my communities. We're trying to get all Turkish men banned cause all they do is stalk and harrass everyone to cyber.. It's sad really.

It was a misunderstanding I guess, but I hope you can see how it came about.

Sean
posted 06-28-2005 06:28:33 PM
You ignored her because of.. that?

Wow.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 06-28-2005 06:29:48 PM
Gork destroyed this thread by being the first to bring up an example.

Not like it didn't suck anyway. Maybe people ignore you because they just don't like you.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Mod
Pancake
posted 06-28-2005 06:30:02 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Sean wrote:
You ignored her because of.. that?

Wow.

As written it was honestly the most offensive thing not said obviously in jest I had read on EC up to that point.

Ares
posted 06-28-2005 06:31:40 PM
quote:
Mod obviously shouldn't have said:
It was a misunderstanding I guess, but I hope you can see how it came about.

Definately. I didn't mean it like that at all. I have no problems with any race. Just men who try to get little girls to cyber with them. Being a monitor on this community, I have to go through and try to help stop this. (Though the slutty 12 year olds with suggestive pictures of themselves up in their profiles don't help)

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: