EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Devil May Cry 3
Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-06-2005 03:53:18 AM
Verdict: Pretty good. Not as good as DMC1, much better than DMC2.

Graphics: A little dark, but still good. It has a whole "twisted angel" feel from DMC1. Pretty cool. Overall: A.

Gameplay: Very similar to DMC1. I can't really tell if it's better or worse, but it's still got some fun shit to do (read: jumping on fallen enemies and surfing them across the floor). Includes a whole new three-headed flail weapon that's just awesome.

Story: Everything you've come to expect from a DMC game.

Music: Fairly cool. The punk-techno feel of DMC1 with a few new metal lyrics. Not bad, not bad.

Dialogue: AUGH! HORRIBLE! EEUGH! NO! SHIT! UGH! WHAT! NO! UGH! FUCK! SHIT! NO! NO! NO! AUGH! EUGH! MUUGUGUGUGUGHSJHAAJAKAKAKAKAKAAAAAGGGGHGGGGHHHFFF...

Summarization: Think of the cheesey dialogue of DMC1 (Flock off, featherface!) without the "so corny it's cool" feel and replaced with a "is that a Devil Hunter or a drunken frat boy?"

Summarization 2: Within the first ten minutes, you'll hear "THIS PARTY'S GETTING CUH-RAZY!" "THIS PARTY'S ABOUT TO GET HOT!" Several other references to parties and a whole lot of going "WOOOOOO! WOOOO! WOOOHOOO! WOOOO! WOOOOOO! WOOOO! WOOOHOOHOOO HOOOOO! WOOOOO! WOOOOOO! WOOOO! WOOOO! FUCK YEAH, WOOOO! WOOOHOOOO!"

Overall: If you bought DMC2, you should buy DMC3. If you can ignore the strangely ugly character design (the floppy "just out of the shower hair" Dante of DMC1 is much better than the "I haven't washed my hair in days and I seem to have a permanent scowl and buck teeth WOOOOOO!" Dante of DMC3), the bizarre Matrix-esque sequences, and Dante surfing on a rocket while screaming "WOOOO! WOOOOOO! WOOOHOOOO! WOOOOO! WOOOOOHOOOHOOO! WOOOO! WOOOO! WOAH WOOOO! WOOOO WOAH WOOOOOAH! WOOOOOO!" you'll find a solid game.

Worth buying? If you're a DMC fan, sure. If you like action games, sure. It's not bad, and I exaggerate the WOOOing but not the dialogue...it really is that weird.

THIS PARTY'S GETTIN' HOT!

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 03-06-2005 04:53:39 AM
WOOOOO!!!
Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-06-2005 04:55:32 AM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 03-06-2005 04:57:51 AM
On another note, fuck the two scimitar weilding bosses.

They best give me their weapons when I kill them.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-06-2005 05:09:33 AM
quote:
Sakkra had this to say about Robocop:
On another note, fuck the two scimitar weilding bosses.

They best give me their weapons when I kill them.

I'm only at the worm boss right now, which is kind of easy, but is one of those bosses that's "Oh, so that's how you kill him, too bad I'm at 1/8th health now."

None of these come anywhere close to Phantom, though. That guy was fuck-all hellacious to kill.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 03-06-2005 05:54:48 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan wrote this stupid crap:
I'm only at the worm boss right now, which is kind of easy, but is one of those bosses that's "Oh, so that's how you kill him, too bad I'm at 1/8th health now."

None of these come anywhere close to Phantom, though. That guy was fuck-all hellacious to kill.

I had a tougher time with Nightmare, especially on Dante Must Die mode in DMC1.

Kael
Whistlepig
posted 03-06-2005 06:06:45 AM
Phantom is the only thing I remember from DMC1. Damn bitchass lava spider >:(

Kael fucked around with this message on 03-06-2005 at 06:07 AM.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-06-2005 11:23:38 AM
That spider alone made me hate DMC1.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 03-06-2005 11:29:45 AM
I hated Phantom the first 20 times I fought him.

After that, I started being more aggressive, dodging more, learned when to anticipate his attacks, and now... he seems really easy

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 03-06-2005 11:33:48 AM
quote:
Khyron enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
I hated Phantom the first 20 times I fought him.

After that, I started being more aggressive, dodging more, learned when to anticipate his attacks, and now... he seems really easy

I think by the 20th time I finally figured out you could fling his fireballs back at him instead of dodging them all the time, I just about threw the controller in anger because it took me so long to figure it out... hate lava spiders oh so much.

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 03-06-2005 01:54:29 PM
Phantom was really easy if you just jumped on his back and DTd.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 03-06-2005 03:06:38 PM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about Knight Rider:
Phantom was really easy if you just jumped on his back and DTd.

I used DT and Air Raid to lighning him to death.

Hell, in hard mode you're able to fight Phantom as a regular enemy in the courtyard with the fountain. Grenade launcher roll trick + DT for the win. And there was much red orb farming.

Sakkra fucked around with this message on 03-06-2005 at 03:06 PM.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 03-06-2005 05:27:27 PM
Okay, so if you liked DMC2 you should get this. I liked DMC1, but found DMC2 somewhat aggravating. Should I give DMC3 a try?
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 03-06-2005 06:25:55 PM
quote:
How.... Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael.... uughhhhhh:
Okay, so if you liked DMC2 you should get this. I liked DMC1, but found DMC2 somewhat aggravating. Should I give DMC3 a try?

Yes. I loathed DMC2, but am thoroughly enjoying this. Though be warned, as the game can be frustrating. It's not so much that's it's hard, but it has an extremely steep learning curve, similar to Ninja Gaiden.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 03-06-2005 09:39:50 PM
Having played this and beaten, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm going to be playing it for a long time.

This game is infinitely better than DMC 2, and it is nearly as good as DMC 1. About the only thing that I don't like about it is that they kept DMC 2's style of scoring and comboing.

I haven't had a game this challenging and this fun in a long time. The fact that the American normal mode is the Japanese hard mode just made it all that much more fun.

Sakkra is right, the learning curve is very steep, but once you get over the top, it's incredibly fun.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 03-06-2005 09:41:03 PM
I saw the commercial. It said "Dope!" on the screen when you hit things.

THAT SHIT'S DOPE BRAH DEMONS AN SHIT

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 03-06-2005 09:43:38 PM
quote:
Liam stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
I saw the commercial. It said "Dope!" on the screen when you hit things.

THAT SHIT'S DOPE BRAH DEMONS AN SHIT

If you're so unskilled that you're getting dope combos, you're doing something wrong. Dope does not exist. I refuse to acknowledge it.

Doing generally any attacks with any skill nets you at least a C class combo, whatever it's called.

Mooj fucked around with this message on 03-06-2005 at 09:44 PM.

Mr. Duck
Likes to ____!
posted 03-06-2005 09:47:36 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Mooj said this:
If you're so unskilled that you're getting dope combos, you're doing something wrong. Dope does not exist. I refuse to acknowledge it.

Doing generally any attacks with any skill nets you at least a C class combo, whatever it's called.

Crazy

Doing Dance Macabre then Crazy Dance is almost always a guaranteed SSStylish combo.

Grunt
Pancake
posted 03-06-2005 09:47:57 PM
quote:
Mooj Model 2000 was programmed to say:

CRAZY!

Dope is occasionally unavoidable. You can't get more than a D on the enemies that occur one or two at a time and take about one combo to kill.

But yeah, if you hated DMC2, you'll like DMC3.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 03-06-2005 11:31:57 PM
That's a relief. DMC2 made me felt seriously let down. Especially given that I rented DMC then two weeks later when DMC2 came out I rented that. DMC was still fresh in my mind.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 03-06-2005 11:41:50 PM
They brought back most of the combat mechanics from DMC 1 here, leaving only the good parts from DMC 2 in. They've even upgraded some of the more useless techniques from DMC 2 to actually have some use here.

The technique Rainstorm is a good example of this. It no longer automatically fires when you're shooting at the apex of a jump. It also no longer fires straight down beneath you, it has a bit of an arc to it now to enable it to hit other enemies too.

The wall run no longer triggers whenever you're near a wall either. It's actually a decent escape move now, useable in the Trickster style.

There is almost nothing bad about the combat system. My only complaint is that getting hit knocks you out of your combos completely, rather than giving you any chance at all to recover from them. I can probably do an in depth review of the game if anyone's interested.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: