EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Poll: What should Mighty-Yawn do?
Author
Topic: Thinking about EQ2....
Mightion Defensor
posted 01-04-2005 03:21:52 PM
Opinions? Please choose appropriately!
Mightion Defensor
posted 01-04-2005 04:32:32 PM
Forty eight plus views and only eight votes?
Gadani
U
posted 01-04-2005 04:43:51 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor had this to say about Cuba:
Forty eight plus views and only eight votes?

I clicked on the thread, but the poll turned out not to be relevant to me.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-04-2005 05:04:52 PM
quote:
Gadani had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
I clicked on the thread, but the poll turned out not to be relevant to me.

Vote 5

Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 01-04-2005 05:06:47 PM
I'd say come play with us on Antonia Bayle... but I never see anyone there anymore!
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 01-04-2005 05:11:58 PM
Just get your ass over to Najena already

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 01-04-2005 05:28:03 PM
Come to Naj, rebel scum.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Mightion Defensor
posted 01-04-2005 05:43:36 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Just get your ass over to Najena already

Heh. I won't actually be getting the game until Sunday.. Stupid work gave me off on Thursday, when I don't actually get paid until Friday, and I work Friday and Saturday.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-04-2005 05:45:19 PM
That bites. But we'll still be there either way. A lot of the Talerites are playing on Najena now, so you should have company even when Deth and I are at work/school.

Maradon!
posted 01-04-2005 06:15:58 PM
Well, you like SWG, and SWG is boring as piss. I can only assume EQ2 would be right up your alley.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-04-2005 06:21:29 PM
EQ2 isn't a bad game. On the contrary, it's a good game. Just not as solo-friendly as WoW is.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-04-2005 06:25:38 PM
I solo just fine in EQ2

Mightion Defensor
posted 01-04-2005 06:29:00 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr's fortune cookie read:
EQ2 isn't a bad game. On the contrary, it's a good game. Just not as solo-friendly as WoW is.

I wish I had the time and money to play both. At least with EQ2 I wouldn't be giving money to four different companies, just three.

I really wish SOE would come out with a version of the all-access pass that includes SWG, even if it costs more than the regular pass.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-04-2005 06:34:29 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
I solo just fine in EQ2

Not saying you can't solo in EQ2. Depending on your class, you can solo at an acceptable level.

So me saying it isn't as solo-friendly doesn't mean you can't solo at all.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 01-04-2005 06:45:00 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Maradon! was all like:
Well, you like SWG, and SWG is boring as piss. I can only assume EQ2 would be right up your alley.

<Marabill> WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH! SONY TOOK MY GAMING VIRGINITY AND LEFT ME WITH A ROLL OF QUARTERS! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Mightion Defensor
posted 01-04-2005 07:53:48 PM
Why so much h8 wanting me to play WoW instead?
Noxhil
Pancake
posted 01-04-2005 07:59:27 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Mightion Defensor was all like:

As much as I wanted EQ2 to be a great game, I think that WoW, despite its many flaws, has EQ2 considerably beat. It seems many agree.

p.s. Waiting for Vanguard

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-04-2005 08:05:01 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Falaanla Marr wrote:
Not saying you can't solo in EQ2. Depending on your class, you can solo at an acceptable level.

So me saying it isn't as solo-friendly doesn't mean you can't solo at all.

Sorry I'll amend it.

I can solo reasonably well but I can't solo so much I get to 38 in like two weeks

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-04-2005 08:06:42 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor had this to say about the Spice Girls:

You obviously haven't read the rest of the EQII threads where the WoW fanbois come in and tout how much greater it is and how everyone should be playing it and how EQII sucks so much.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-04-2005 08:08:11 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Sorry I'll amend it.

I can solo reasonably well but I can't solo so much I get to 38 in like two weeks

1) It's taken a little over 4 weeks.

2) People in EQ2 that knew what they were doing from the start pulled off similar feats.

You seem to get so upset when people bash EQ2, Lyinar, but it seems to be ok for you to attack WoW, when someone who you've called a friend in the past wasn't even bashing it...you decide to attack the game that they play because it isn't YOUR game of choice.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 01-04-2005 at 08:09 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-04-2005 08:08:29 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Cuba:
You obviously haven't read the rest of the EQII threads where the WoW fanbois come in and tout how much greater it is and how everyone should be playing it and how EQII sucks so much.

I played EQ2 for several weeks and despised them (the fanboys). However, as it turned out, EQ2 was no fun for me. So, I quit. Now I play WoW and am no longer a fan of EQ2. At least I actually gave it a chance, though. /shrug

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 01-04-2005 at 08:10 PM.

Talonus
Loner
posted 01-04-2005 09:05:20 PM
Some people like EQ2. Some people like WoW. Simple as that. Why fight over it?

Besides, who needs to troll threads to get people to convert to WoW? They'll eventually convert when they realize its an endless levelling treadmill that again caters to powergamers in huge guilds in the end-game, even moreso than EQ.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-04-2005 09:32:30 PM
Wow. "who needs to troll" followed by trolling comments. Good game!

edit: and no, I won't convert unless some serious changes are made to the basic decisions that they made going into EQ2's production

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 01-04-2005 at 09:34 PM.

Mightion Defensor
posted 01-04-2005 09:38:38 PM
Don't make me push the button. This wasn't meant for a EQ2 vs WoW war.
Talonus
Loner
posted 01-04-2005 09:44:39 PM
quote:
This one time, at Kegwen camp:
Wow. "who needs to troll" followed by trolling comments. Good game!

edit: and no, I won't convert unless some serious changes are made to the basic decisions that they made going into EQ2's production

I was joking. And trolling!

Ok, being serious here. Mightion, its a question of time. EQ2 will turn out to be very group/time heavy in the long run. Yes, you can survive on your own in the lower levels. Eventually, that will change though and you'll need to adapt or cancel.

If you don't have the time to put into it, I wouldn't recommend it. The game isn't bad, actually its quite good as far as MMOGs go, but it does require a heavier investment than most other MMOGs. Probably only FFXI has a heavier commitment in the long run.

Talonus fucked around with this message on 01-04-2005 at 09:48 PM.

Mightion Defensor
posted 01-04-2005 09:51:38 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Talonus:
I was joking. And trolling!

Ok, being serious here. Mightion, its a question of time. EQ2 will turn out to be very group/time heavy in the long run. Yes, you can survive on your own in the lower levels. Eventually, that will change though and you'll need to adapt or cancel.

If you don't have the time to put into it, I wouldn't recommend it. The game isn't bad, actually its quite good as far as MMOGs go, but it does require a heavier investment than most other MMOGs. Probably only FFXI has a heavier commitment in the long run.

"A heavier investment"? Go log on to SWG and work your way up to Master Droid Engineer all by yer lonesome and tell me what you'd consider a heavier investment.

I don't plan to solo exclusively (Who do you think I am, Delphi? ). I like to group too... part of my noble purpose making this poll/thread was to find which server to join so I'd have people to play with.

Talonus
Loner
posted 01-04-2005 09:56:22 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor Model 2000 was programmed to say:
"A heavier investment"? Go log on to SWG and work your way up to Master Droid Engineer all by yer lonesome and tell me what you'd consider a heavier investment.

I don't plan to solo exclusively (Who do you think I am, Delphi? ). I like to group too... part of my noble purpose making this poll/thread was to find which server to join so I'd have people to play with.

Trust me, nothing touches FFXI in terms of time investment. I have heard that its greater than SWG though, depending on how you look at it. Just saying that it does require a lot of time in the long run. Your call on whether or not you want to try it out though.

And hey, you did include WoW/SWG options.

Talonus fucked around with this message on 01-04-2005 at 09:56 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-04-2005 10:30:44 PM
Sorry Mightion.

The other major complaint I had about EQ2 was the fact that the cities are so HUGE that even on crowded servers you never see anyone in them. Tradeskill areas are instanced, so that element is taken out. I had a hard time finding groups in primetime (wtf) and soloing was difficult as a predator (to be expected, though). Plus, for whatever reason, it just didn't appeal to me in several in a few inexplicable ways. Not meant as a flame against the game, really. I had high expectations for it, and it unfortunately let me down. It's a good, solid game, but it's not for me.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-04-2005 11:28:20 PM
quote:
Verily, Falaanla Marr doth proclaim:

You seem to get so upset when people bash EQ2, Lyinar, but it seems to be ok for you to attack WoW, when someone who you've called a friend in the past wasn't even bashing it...you decide to attack the game that they play because it isn't YOUR game of choice.

Despite it being an option, you're the first person who came in touting about how great WoW is, when it's obvious from what he's said that he's getting EQII and he wants to know where to go when he gets it.

I'm happy to enjoy the game so much. That's great. I've seen you enjoy other games just as much that now mean nothing to you, so forgive my cynicism if I believe you'll get bored when you're 60 in six weeks of playing and there's nowhere else to go.

I'm just getting tired of this sort of stuff. People came into my thread for EQII players about their impressions of EQII, likes and dislikes, going on about WoW and how great it was. I don't give a good god damn when I make a thread about EVERQUEST II, how great WoW is.

And Talonus, you're wrong about the higher levels of the game. EQII is designed with a more casual player in mind. Raids are limited to 24 people. That doesn't encourage large guilds in the slightest. There are very few actual "raid" encounters and many more two group or group encounters, not to mention all the solo stuff floating around out there. By it's very design, it is very uberguild unfriendly.

Not to mention that by zooming through levels, those powergamers are going to miss out. There are certain quests you can only get drops for before something becomes trivial to you. There are certain things you have to do by a certain level or you cannot do them, such as certain instanced zones. Someone who zooms through EQII and gets to do the top will find not very much there, because the content is spread throughout the game, and not meant to be chewed through in a month. Those people that are 40 now, or possibly higher, haven't even scratched the surface of all that can be accomplished and they'll suffer for it.

Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 01-04-2005 11:32:10 PM
The "Big Update" is apparently adding a bunch of new solo content. I personally don't care so much about solo content even though I can solo rather well. ( I'm a Predator BTW )

EQ2 has some shortcomings, but overall it is a solid game that appeals to what I want out of a MMOG.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-04-2005 11:34:24 PM
I saw that listed that they are putting in quite a few new quests aimed at soloers.

I have a bard, enchanter, summoner, sorcerer, and a druid and they can take on even orange mobs flagged as solo with ease. Mastering HOs is important, but that's not hard, and casters require tactics, but the game has made it possible.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-04-2005 11:38:04 PM
Lyinar: If he didn't want WoW brought in this thread, it shouldn't have been listed as a poll option. As per forum rules, we wouldn't have been allowed to mention it at all in the thread. And thanks, but I was DEFENDING EQ2 in the initial post -- Maradon was attacking it and I was replying to him on that. I was pointing out that EQ2 was a good game. JUST saying that it wasn't as solo friendly as my current game. Why do you automatically assume that means I am bashing the game? You're the one that started the whole discussion on the topic by mentioning you could solo just fine (when I never said you couldn't.)

As for why I stopped with other games? I got behind a group I was playing with an couldn't catch up each time. Happened in FFXI, in CoH, and in EQ2. In WoW, I'm actually able to stay caught up and play fine. Had I had a group I was having fun with in EQ2, I would have stayed there.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 01-04-2005 at 11:41 PM.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 01-04-2005 11:38:26 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
someone who you've called a friend in the past

What are you? Twelve? Let's review...

You got out of EQ2, as I recall, or at least bitched about and claimed you got out of EQ2, because people who you started out with didn't hold their characters back to stay within your level when you weren't able to play for a few days. We invited you do come hang with us, and you made some snot ass, bitchy-whiny remark about how we cost you money because you came over to our server in EQ1 OF YOUR OWN CHOICE (no one put a gun to your head) and didn't immediately get everything your heart desired. That pissed me off back then, but let's clear the air now.

YOU MADE THE CHOICE! No one put a gun to your head and FORCED you to come over. And frankly, it's not Lyinar's job, not my job, nor the job of ANY OF YOUR OTHER FRIENDS IN ANY GAME to entertain you, hold back their characters, or anything of the sort because you aren't feeling the gaming bug. Densetsu was the reason we built the vast majority of our characters on Najena in EQ2. Do we actually hang with him in game? No. I've seen him once. If he's in and we're in, I do make a point to talk to him. But I certainly don't expect him to hold his characters back so we can play with him. It wouldn't be fair to him. Friends would wait? Friends wouldn't expect other friends to pay to NOT play a game waiting for YOU to catch up. Friends wouldn't expect other friends to pay to entertain YOU. It's not our job. You have to be a self starter.

Now why do I bring this up here? Why don't I stick to WoW vs EQ2? Because YOU invoked the "person you once called friend" bullshit. I consider Parcelan a friend, he plays WoW. I don't give him shit. He doesn't give me shit about EQ2. If shit happens and we're on opposite sides of an argument, Parce and I manage to stay buddy buddy in other threads. Neither of us is a mamby pamby wuss who invokes the "friend" crap. That's like saying that if Lyinar was your friend, she'd not say anything bad about WoW. Fuck off. It doesn't work that way. We LIKE EQ2; if someone comes into a thread saying stuff that plain isn't true, we're going to defend it.

Besides, bragging that you're 40something a month into a game is just plain stupid. What are you proving? That you're a loser with too much time? Shit I have too much time on break from college but I don't spend it all playing EQ2. Are you proving you're hardcore? Great. Congratulations. At the rate you're going, a month and a half in you'll have maxed out your level. Now you get to wait 4.5-6 months (on average) before any new content comes out. Whoop de doo. It was stupid in CoH, it's stupid in EQ2 that we have people racing to the 50's, and it stupid in WoW. Brag all you like. I'll enjoy the content on the way up rather than race like a special olympiad to the top.

You enjoy WoW? Fine. As far as I'm concerned, no one in EQ2 OR WoW needs to say any more than that. Arguing points of game mechanics is just plain lame. I got into this with Modrakien last night in IRC. All the WoW players who said there'd never be a hack issue in WoW? Speedhacks, boys and girls. Bunch of people got banned. Hacks happen in EVERY GAME. But three months ago when we brought up that fact, that any other game that got hacked or cheated, INCLUDING EQ1 AS WELL AS BLIZZARD GAMES, we got our asses reamed about it. I'm laughing my ass off at the evil petty glee that I was right. But you know what? it's stupid. It's one largely pointless point of contention, like most of the shit that comes up in these threads.

But you, Fal, you had to go and push the "waaaaah you were my friend and now you dis me!" button. Get a grip. Even Maradon's knee-jerk anti-Sony stabs don't piss me off as something as lame as that.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-04-2005 11:50:08 PM
Deth, dude, no damn reason to snap at me over a comment that was meant to be taken a far different way than it was taken.

As for the comment about server switching? That was meant as a complete and total joke. I KNOW I chose to spend the money. I really enjoyed the time I did play with you all, too. It wasn't meant to be an assholish comment. That was why i tossed multiple smilies in there, to prove that point.

Calm down a bit, man. Read the PM I sent.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 01-04-2005 at 11:55 PM.

V
Pancake
posted 01-05-2005 12:01:20 AM
Woah, Quiet time.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: