EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Women told she cannot name her baby Superman
Kiranê
Total Crap
posted 09-30-2004 11:21:36 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3701802.stm

quote:
Swedish MPs in Superman name row

Sara Leisten and her own little superhero
Swedish MPs are calling for legislation on babies' names to be changed after a Gothenburg woman was refused permission to call her son Staalman (or Superman).

The parents wanted their son to be named after the cartoon superhero, because he was born with one arm pointing upwards - as Superman flies.

Local tax authorities refused the request, saying the name could lead to the boy being ridiculed in later life.

But MPs say the law is inconsistent as the names Tarzan or Batman are allowed.

Inconsistent legislation

The chairman of the Swedish parliament's legal affairs committee, Inger Rene, and five other MPs are to table a motion calling for the legislation to be changed, the Stockholm tabloid Expressen says.

The motion describes the current legislation as "inconsistent" and "difficult to understand".

It points out that parents had been allowed to call a child Bebben, the nickname of a footballer, but not Bajen, the popular name of Stockholm football club Hammarby.

It also points out that the Swedish patent and registration office permits the use of Batman, but not Asterix or Superman.

The move was welcomed by Sara Leisten, Staalman's mother.

A Swedish court had earlier ruled that the name Staalman was "like a surname".

The parents were also refused permission to call their son a similar name, Staalis, but say they may now try again with Staalmannen which means The Superman.

Personally if he was born with one arm up, I would name him Adolf.

Maradon!
posted 10-01-2004 12:29:58 AM
I said it last time this was posted and I'll say it again - why's it up to government to make these sorts of decisions for people?
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-01-2004 12:32:20 AM
quote:
Aw, geez, I have Maradon! all over myself!
I said it last time this was posted and I'll say it again - why's it up to government to make these sorts of decisions for people?

Didn't you get the memo? We're all fucking morons, and they know better. Duh.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 10-01-2004 12:33:24 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Maradon! was all like:

Because you have people naming their children NASCAR.

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Maradon!
posted 10-01-2004 12:34:53 AM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Lechium booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Because you have people naming their children NASCAR.

I see no reason why that sort of thing warrants any kind of intervention by any government agency.

At least, not in a free country.

Mod
Pancake
posted 10-01-2004 01:02:28 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about the Spice Girls:
I see no reason why that sort of thing warrants any kind of intervention by any government agency.

Because the right of the child to not suffer the inconvenience of a retarded name and the hassle of a name change when they are 18 is more important than the parent's right to call their kid Dickless McFatty?

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-01-2004 01:05:42 AM
quote:
Mod thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Because the right of the child to not suffer the inconvenience of a retarded name and the hassle of a name change when they are 18 is more important than the parent's right to call their kid Dickless McFatty?

That's Dickless McFatty the Third, thank you.

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 10-01-2004 01:08:18 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Maradon! wrote:

I just remembered the names from Conan. When he was telling the childs name was NASCAR, and his two other brothers are White and Trash.

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 10-01-2004 01:21:57 AM
Woman.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 10-01-2004 01:28:43 AM
I agree with Mara 150%, it's not the government's place to step in and tell us what we can and can't name our children.
..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Maradon!
posted 10-01-2004 01:32:40 AM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Mod booooze lime pole over bench lick:

And it's the place of government to dicate what is and is not an acceptable name? Right on. Let's use legislation to force people to be socially acceptable.

I feel that the name Richard should be illegal since "Dick" could cause undue ridicule. WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!

There's no such thing as a "right to not be laughed at" and trying to get government to use legislation to enforce arbitrary standards of acceptability is an open-ended and dangerous infringement on individual rights. It is not the place of government to make sure kids aren't laughed at.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-01-2004 01:51:04 AM
Kids should be laughed at. It's a part of growing up....right?
Tyewa Dawnsister
In Poverty
posted 10-01-2004 01:57:12 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Maradon! said:
There's no such thing as a "right to not be laughed at" and trying to get government to use legislation to enforce arbitrary standards of acceptability is an open-ended and dangerous infringement on individual rights. It is not the place of government to make sure kids aren't laughed at.

You would agree that a governement should take it upon itself to prevent parents from exploiting or harming their childern? Even at the expense of the rights of a parent?

"And God said: 'Let there be Satan, so people don't blame everything on me. And let there be lawyers, so people don't blame everything on Satan." - George Burns
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 10-01-2004 02:01:28 AM
You know, its not like if a kid has a regular name the other jackasses wont make up a dozen cruel nicknames anyway.

And he could go by his middlename, or a made up name too.

Jebus Chris :-/

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Sarudani Miolnir
Old-school poster
posted 10-01-2004 05:48:47 AM
She could always name him Tony.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 10-01-2004 05:54:22 AM
One of the guys who worked on Superman for decades named his son Kal-El.

I wish I could remember who it was. Deth probably knows.

Darius!
Pancake
posted 10-01-2004 07:58:40 AM
quote:
Mod had this to say about pies:

Fatass McBlobbicus.

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 10-01-2004 09:55:31 AM
The gov't has no place telling parents what they can/cant name their kids.

That doesn't mean that parents who give their kids retard names shouldn't be smacked around a little with the 2x4 of common sense though

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Maradon!
posted 10-01-2004 10:14:23 AM
quote:
x--Tyewa DawnsisterO-('-'Q) :
You would agree that a governement should take it upon itself to prevent parents from exploiting or harming their childern? Even at the expense of the rights of a parent?

That depends entirely on how you define exploitation, but the matter of a parent doing physical harm to a child is a fairly clean cut issue. Assault is obviously illegal, directed toward your children or not.

Maradon!
posted 10-01-2004 10:17:46 AM
quote:
x--ReynarO-('-'Q) :
That doesn't mean that parents who give their kids retard names shouldn't be smacked around a little with the 2x4 of common sense though

I agree with this, too. Nothing says we can't have private organizations dedicated to keeping parents from giving their kids stupid names.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 10-01-2004 10:20:31 AM
Over here in the states, we have women naming their kids after rock stars, movie stars, candy bars, models, sports stars, and there was even a kid named something 2.0 - and that even made the news as "ha ha isn't that cute."

Swedes r dum lol.

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 10-01-2004 10:52:57 AM
Why the hell would a kid named Superman get ridiculed? He would be like a little god in elementary school if he played his cards right.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: