EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Possible 6 month delay for Half-life 2
Holden
French Cocksucker
posted 09-24-2004 11:43:11 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/20/news_6107712.html

And

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/24/news_6108100.html

Seems a new lawsuit has came up that possibly will delay Half-Life again.

"America is dumb, it's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you..."
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-25-2004 12:03:04 AM
If they sit on it just to piss Valve off, they're assfucks.

Yes.

Assfucks.

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 09-25-2004 12:11:35 AM
If VU decides to hold this out as long as possible, they are going to have alot of angry fan boys.
"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Noxhil
Pancake
posted 09-25-2004 12:11:56 AM
VUG is going to be defunct if they keep trying to screw over their developers...
Skaw
posted 09-25-2004 12:38:40 AM
Just think, VU owns Blizzard. They could fuck up WoW, much like SOE fucked up EQ.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 09-25-2004 at 12:39 AM.

Lashanna
noob
posted 09-25-2004 12:39:25 AM
There is no Half-Life 2. Vaporware.

Actually, Vivendi had some really nice stock last Spring-going into Summer.

Lashanna fucked around with this message on 09-25-2004 at 12:42 AM.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Darius!
Pancake
posted 09-25-2004 01:12:54 AM
I had to google "Vivendi".
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 09-25-2004 01:18:38 AM
This is retarded.
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
diadem
eet bugz
posted 09-25-2004 06:45:10 AM
you know, with this much press, it doesn't matter how good or bad the game is, it'll still sell like mad
play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Talonus
Loner
posted 09-25-2004 07:47:53 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Noxhil wrote:
VUG is going to be defunct if they keep trying to screw over their developers...

The whole point is that Vivendi is trying to not become defunct. The whole debate is related to Steam. Vivendi doesn't want Valve to release HL2 over Steam because they see none of the profits from Steam sales. While this obviously isn't new, HL2 is going to be the most well known game release in this manner.

If the Steam release actually works well, which it may since HL2 has already been mostly preloaded, then it could set a precedent. More developers could follow suit and Vivendi and other publishers could lose more money. While its impossible that they'd become fully defunct, since most publishers fund the developers in some way or another, it could hit them pretty hard. So Vivendi is going to fight this to the end I bet, or maybe get a pretty large settlement from Valve.

Dymus Arindelil
I betcha its pink. Jania seems like the type to wear pink undies.
posted 09-25-2004 12:28:38 PM
You'll see it backlash across the board. Publishers and Developers at the moment have a symbiotic relationship. Developers make the game, Publishers act as the intermediary with the public, handling publication and so forth. Assuming the game doesn't suck and the marketing is good, they both make money.

What it looks like here is that what Valve should be doing is break away from Vivendi. Finish out their contract dues and go solo if they think they can handle it. As it stands (and it could be just me), it looks like Vivendi pissed off Valve by distributing Half-Life 1 to cybercafes where massive amounts of people play it and Valve didn't get a cut from those proceeds. Valve is countering by essentially trying to cut Vivendi out of the big profits from Half-Life 2, which is a completely separate matter.

And I'd be completely behind Valve in it's attempts to deal with Vivendi and the unfair practices if it wasn't for the fact that, as has been pointed out, a lot of money in development costs gets covered by the publisher. Like it or not, Valve IS attached to Vivendi financially. No one could cut losses and evac out of this even if they wanted to.

I know what color underwear Jania wears. So there

Run through the cold of the night, as passion burns in your heart.
Ready to fight, a knife held close by your side
Like a proud wolf alone in the dark with eyes that watch the world

-"Small Two of Pieces"
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 09-25-2004 02:07:01 PM
I suppose the idea of steam preloads is cool.

Id still rather have my game on a CD that I could take with me to different computers though.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 09-25-2004 02:47:08 PM
Developers are rapidly becoming unnecessary, with services like Steam.

Vivendi is just fighting a losing battle to stay afloat.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: