EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Video cards recomondations
Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 06-05-2004 10:32:22 AM
after haveign the alst two games ive tried not workign becasue it didnt suport pixel shader 1.1, can anyone sugest a good video card taht does, AND suports multi moniters, and isnt too expensive

a link would be nice if you know were to get it for cheep, but if you dont have one ill just check ebay

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-05-2004 01:40:34 PM
budget?

I would personally recommend something like the Radeon 9600XT. But, if you must go cheaper then say something...

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 06-05-2004 at 01:42 PM.

Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 06-05-2004 07:56:55 PM
someone i know in real life offered me a ti 4200 for 60 bucks, someone from the bored (who shall remain nameless) offered me a Geforce FX 5600 for 90 bucks, i tried researching these myself but im not hardware savy enough to know waht any of the stuff in their sepcs mean

so anyways, are either of these good for my needs? (multi moniter suport+pixel shadeing 1.1)

also, are either of them could enough for doom 3/halflife 2 (doesnt haev to haev everythign at max, but jsut to play it decently

and all of the above apply to the card keg posted

and as for price range, was hoping for under 100 but might go a little higher if need be

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-05-2004 09:19:28 PM
The FX 5600 should play HL2 and Doom 3 comfortably (at least, much better than the Ti4200. I own a 4200 for my secondary sytem and it's not a great card). I'm pretty sure who offered you the FX 5600 but that doesn't really matter.

Both should offer multi-monitor support. So does the one I posted. The one I posted is at least noticeably faster than the two you mentioned, but as you saw it's at a higher cost. All of them meet your requirements (though I personally wouldn't trust a GF4 with HL2 or Doom 3).

Ultimately it comes down to how much you want to spend. For a bit over $200 you can get a Radeon 9800 Pro, which still own by today's standards. I didn't think you'd want to spend that much, so I recommended the 9600XT instead.

Also, what's your current CPU/RAM? You couldn't squeeze full performance out of a 9600XT or above if you have less than a 2Ghz system with probably 384 mb of RAM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: