EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Is there anyone who actually like the first two movies?
bob12121212
Pancake
posted 05-31-2004 01:37:59 PM
I seem to be amoung the few people who actually liked episode I and II, and can't wait for episode III. Is there anyone else out there who agrees with me?
Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 05-31-2004 01:41:12 PM
I can't wait to see it, if only to see if/how badly they messed it up.
Lee Taxx0r
Pancake
posted 05-31-2004 01:46:51 PM
I liked ep2, not ep1.
bob12121212
Pancake
posted 05-31-2004 01:50:21 PM
Yeah, episode II was alot better then episode I. I think Lucas will put alot of effort into this "last" star wars movie.
Sean
posted 05-31-2004 01:55:02 PM
quote:
Mavos stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Yeah, episode II was alot better then episode I. I think Lucas will put alot of effort into this "last" star wars movie.

I hope his 'effort' is spent hiring Irvin Kershner to direct it after handing over a script.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Grendel
Pancake
posted 05-31-2004 01:55:24 PM
They both had their good and bad points. Ep. 1 I mostly disliked and Ep. 2 was a vast improvment, if they keep and this pattern Ep. 3 maybe all right.
Jania Arindelil
Is really cute and cuddly... just needs a hug
posted 05-31-2004 01:58:55 PM
Loved II, hated I.

Jania Arindelil
Dragon Guardian, Grandmaster Archer
Very Cranky Person
"I'll torture you so slowly, you'll think it's a career." - Darwin Mayflower
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 05-31-2004 02:04:05 PM
I like both.

Of course they're not as good as the first trilogy, but they offer nice eye-candy.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 05-31-2004 02:06:21 PM
The Yoda fight was the only redeeming quality of the two movies.
Pair and Rena
Pancake
posted 05-31-2004 02:07:38 PM
ok, I'm old fan of the OLD RPG table top Starwars, this sayed...

I like Bout everything in the Original but Luke and Yoda.

I anjoyed Episode1 and 2 ... not for the story, but for the world and everything suronding them.

Episode 2 made me like Yoda and Stormtroopers (OMG They know how to SHOOT!!!!)

Anyhow, I am curius to see how it's gona turn out, see if Lucas follow on his original Storys and Idea that he putted in the RPG game.

I think they whent bit to far with the 3D , but then again, it given us a good chance to see MORE that hand made would of let him.

My only othere coment is that the ships are to rond and shinny

But We expected so much more, THe original where made to follow on Space Cowboy stuff Lucas loved. Now, it's a othere angle.

anyhow, my 5 cents

Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 05-31-2004 02:08:23 PM
Hated both. Some bits were ok but overall they were terrible.

Fighting was decent I guess.

bob12121212
Pancake
posted 05-31-2004 02:10:56 PM
If you want to know the facts about what episode III will contain, go here:
http://www.theforce.net/episode3/jtf/
KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 05-31-2004 02:34:35 PM
I liked em.
Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-31-2004 02:37:55 PM
I liked them.

Even though the acting was absolute crap. The bit-part actors were better than the main role actors in some scenes.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-31-2004 02:42:10 PM
quote:
KaLourin wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
I liked em.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-31-2004 03:02:50 PM
The best part of the movie was when Natalie Portman's shirt got ripped off.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-31-2004 03:14:35 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Mavos wrote:
I seem to be amoung the few people who actually liked episode I and II, and can't wait for episode III. Is there anyone else out there who agrees with me?

I'm with ya there.

Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 05-31-2004 03:21:49 PM
i dug the second, hated the first

plot woes aside, first could have been made decent jsut by removing chibi anakin and jar jar...and pod racers

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 05-31-2004 03:36:31 PM
quote:
Mortious got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
I liked them.

Even though the acting was absolute crap. The bit-part actors were better than the main role actors in some scenes.

I tend to feel the same way. The story and special effects were decent in many places, but the HORRIBLE acting detracted from the movie in so many places, it started to get a bit pathetic.

Sometimes the bad acting got to a point though that made it ripe for doing a mocking (ala MST3K) instead of just watching (especially Anakin's "spoiled brat" type acting during Episode II), which helped the ejoyability too.

*Tal*
Pancake
posted 05-31-2004 08:08:57 PM
When I went to see these movies, I went to see "A star wars movie" and guess what..

I saw a star wars movie.

I liked them both.

They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 05-31-2004 09:02:28 PM
They were both ok. But being forced to be compared to the original trilogy makes them suffer in comparison that much more, than if they had been made first.
Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 06-01-2004 01:33:19 AM
quote:
*Tal* thought about the meaning of life:
When I went to see these movies, I went to see "A star wars movie" and guess what..

I saw a star wars movie.

I liked them both.

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-01-2004 01:37:05 AM
quote:
Mog had this to say about Cuba:
i dug the second, hated the first

plot woes aside, first could have been made decent jsut by removing chibi anakin and jar jar...and pod racers

Chibi Anakin fit perfectly. Jar Jar sucks. The Pod Race was a bit extraneous, but I liked it.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 06-01-2004 01:37:47 AM
quote:
*Tal* rode by in a mouse drawn chariot while shouting:

I saw a star wars movie.

I liked them both.

I agree, but I just want to see JarJar's head removed with a light saber sometime during movie III. I don't care who does it, just so long as they do it.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 06-01-2004 02:02:50 AM
I liked the first two for the fighting and action scenes. Jedi's were shown with their super speed, their jumping abilities, and *Gasp* a unique kind of lightsaber!! The plots were horriblle compared to the first two, but in all the better-quality action scenes made up for it.

Oh, a question for all the hardcore Star Wars fans: Is there some reason why lightsabers are mostly the same? Couldn't they be a little more imaginitive than just a dual-one? Jedi can make things float with the force, can have insane (Laser reflecting) reaction times, and can focus on many things at once. Why can't a jedi have like 4 light-daggers floating around them or something? They don't use their hands at all, just force-move them to fight.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-01-2004 02:34:25 AM
quote:
Rodent King probably says this to all the girls:
I liked the first two for the fighting and action scenes. Jedi's were shown with their super speed, their jumping abilities, and *Gasp* a unique kind of lightsaber!! The plots were horriblle compared to the first two, but in all the better-quality action scenes made up for it.

Oh, a question for all the hardcore Star Wars fans: Is there some reason why lightsabers are mostly the same? Couldn't they be a little more imaginitive than just a dual-one? Jedi can make things float with the force, can have insane (Laser reflecting) reaction times, and can focus on many things at once. Why can't a jedi have like 4 light-daggers floating around them or something? They don't use their hands at all, just force-move them to fight.

I think that kind of ruins the elegance of light saber fighting. Or something.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 06-01-2004 03:12:23 AM
Lightsabers, like fighters and spacecraft, eventually lost the "artistic" elements you find in previous generations. That's the storyline reason. If you accept the "Tales of the Jedi" era as being a part of things, there was an age where everyone's lightsaber looked different and was personalized (it's also where the first double-bladed lightsaber showed up, in the hands of the fallen Jedi turned Sith Lord Exar Kun).

The biggest problem the prequel stories have had isn't the movies themselves, but what the movies chose to focus on. When Episode 1 came out, I was frustrated more by the wasted build up with the podracing than with Jar Jar. Don't get me wrong, I (perhaps paradoxically) enjoyed the podracing, but I didn't feel it needed to eat up as much time in the movie as it did. (I understand Lucas uses the movies to showcase the special effects he can pull of through ILM, but a little less showboating and a little more substance would have been nice.) I was more interested in back story, and Episode 1 didn't have enough of that.

The result was that while Episode 2 was by far more satisfactory, it was forced to cram quite a lot of material in to make up for Episode 1. Jango Fett, Boba Fett, clones, droid army, Anakin slipping, the Padme/Anakin marriage, Yoda being a badass, Count Dooku's introduction, first inklings that the Jedi were decreased in number and Force-using capacity.

When the original trilogy came out, the stories were written to be a coherent storyline, with some time between each movie, but not enough to make the characters wildly different from movie to movie. Any "filling in the blanks" was left to the authors of novels who came later. The two prequels thus far have been so worried about being compatible with the media blitz (fifty million video games, novels, comics, and cartoons, which are all pretty cool, but sometimes confusing with their implications) that they aren't entirely compatible with the story Lucas talked about at the time of the original Trilogy, and slip-slide with content in and of themselves.

And for all the nay-sayers who say it's Lucas' story and he can do whatever he likes, you're exactly right. However, it's not for Lucas to judge whether his work is of the same quality. It's for critics, professional and amateur, to critique his work. And to be perfectly blunt, he traded quality for trendiness.

I mean really...Midichlorians?

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 06-01-2004 03:17:25 AM
Oh and for the record, contemplate this fact about Lightsabers: The reason they're so tricky to use is because the blade has no mass, yet touching it is likely to cause massive, traumatic damage, so precise, perfectly timed movements are necessary.

Jedi don't move with superhuman reflexes, either. Their power comes from precognition; they think the battle largely in advance by a few seconds and choreograph their movements to do what they want.

So to, as you put it, telekinetically wield a bunch of lightsabers, they would essentially have to be thinking their way through a fight from four different perspectives, while at the same time, purely with their mind, be precisely moving and controlling four different lightsabers.

While it's probably doable by extremely talented Jedi Masters, it's probably more showy than effective, and Jedi, like followers of the Samurai Bushido code, don't seem to believe in the idea of needless showing off.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 06-01-2004 04:50:26 AM
quote:
How.... Naimah.... uughhhhhh:
The Yoda fight was the only redeeming quality of the two movies.

That part made me laugh. A lot.

I just picture them tossing muppets across the sound stage at each other.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 06-01-2004 08:22:01 AM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about John Romero:
I mean really...Midichlorians?

I was waiting for Carl Anderson and Ted Neeley to show up and break into song.

Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ,
Who are you? What have you sacrificed?
Jesus Christ superstar,
Do you think you are what they say you are?

Snoota fucked around with this message on 06-01-2004 at 08:24 AM.

Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 06-01-2004 10:14:11 AM
I would have liked Episode II but Hayden Christansen (or however it's spelled) was in it and he was the worst actor I have ever seen. Even worse than the kid who played Anakin in the first one. Even worse than Keanu Reeves.
Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 06-01-2004 11:15:54 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Gydyon!
I would have liked Episode II but Hayden Christansen (or however it's spelled) was in it and he was the worst actor I have ever seen. Even worse than the kid who played Anakin in the first one. Even worse than Keanu Reeves.

Yeah he whined a lot. Paul Walker (Timeline, Fast and the Furious, Fast and the Furious 2) would have been a better choice if they wanted a youngish heart-throb sort. At least Walker can carry intensity better. Hayden Christiansen (or however it's spelled) came off like a petulant child more often than not. Anakin from the "Clone Wars" cartoon was more what I expected than Hayden.

Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 06-01-2004 11:16:05 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Trent was all like:
That part made me laugh. A lot.

I just picture them tossing muppets across the sound stage at each other.

Have you seen the 'making of' for Episode II? They represented Yoda in that fight with a yoda doll that had fangs attached.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 06-01-2004 11:20:24 AM
quote:
Tegadil's account was hax0red to write:
Have you seen the 'making of' for Episode II? They represented Yoda in that fight with a yoda doll that had fangs attached.

Yeah I thought that was hilarious. The "Making Of" stuff in Ep 1 and 2 was great.

Ewan MacGregor and Ray Park were going at it with the metal rod lightsabers during filming and Ewan got so into it he like bent the metal rod "blade". They were all laughing their ass off at it and at one point you can hear what sounds like Ewan saying something like "I'm the only Jedi who ever bent their blade" in this real deadpan voice.

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 06-01-2004 11:52:13 AM
I still stand by my thinking that Obi-Wan's casting was the most perfect, dead on casting in history. Ewan rules.
..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
bob12121212
Pancake
posted 06-01-2004 01:20:32 PM
I can't wait to hear James Earl Jones (The voice of Darth Vader) in episode III.
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 06-01-2004 01:26:52 PM
II would have been alright if they hadn't picked hayden christanson to play Anakin. I've never seen a crappier actor. He actually made natalie portman look emotionally animated during their entirely too somber relational dialogs.

If you just ignore the craptastic actors, it's a good movie. No where near as good as Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford, but good.

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 06-01-2004 01:47:37 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael was all like:
Oh and for the record, contemplate this fact about Lightsabers: The reason they're so tricky to use is because the blade has no mass, yet touching it is likely to cause massive, traumatic damage, so precise, perfectly timed movements are necessary.

Jedi don't move with superhuman reflexes, either. Their power comes from precognition; they think the battle largely in advance by a few seconds and choreograph their movements to do what they want.

So to, as you put it, telekinetically wield a bunch of lightsabers, they would essentially have to be thinking their way through a fight from four different perspectives, while at the same time, purely with their mind, be precisely moving and controlling four different lightsabers.

While it's probably doable by extremely talented Jedi Masters, it's probably more showy than effective, and Jedi, like followers of the Samurai Bushido code, don't seem to believe in the idea of needless showing off.

That's pretty much how I explain the difference in fighting styles of the original trilogy and the new one (Well, continuity-wise. I know in the new one it was to be more entertaining, though personally I liked the old style). In the original ones, Obi-wan and Vader were jedi masters. They didn't need to be flashy, they'd grown past that.

Look at Phantom Menace with the Darth Maul fight. How many times did he manage to land a kick? Each of those times, he could've used a slash, and won. But instead, he wanted to show off, humiliate the jedi, blah blah blah, and that's what got him killed.

Yoda needed to do all the flips and spins and whatnot, as he was too small to really use the kendo-style fighting of the OT, despite being a jedi master. I don't remember the fights with Mace, but didn't he eschew the flashy spins and whatnot?

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: