EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Gains!
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 05-23-2004 07:32:13 PM
In terms of Gnostic Christianity, if Aeris can be described as a "Christ figure", what is the symbolic meaning of her being run through by Sephiroth?

(I just read Phil Dick's "VALIS", which led me to thinking...)

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 05-23-2004 07:35:34 PM
quote:
So quoth Gunslinger Moogle:
In terms of Gnostic Christianity, if Aeris can be described as a "Christ figure", what is the symbolic meaning of her being run through by Sephiroth?

It would relate to Longinus most likely.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 05-23-2004 07:37:18 PM
quote:
Gunslinger Moogle's account was hax0red to write:

Aerith is a Christ-like figure? Whoah, kick-ass.

Personally, I didn't see any biblical symbolism in Aerith's death and I really don't think there was much, if any. I mean, aren't most people in Japan either Shinto or like, not Christian?

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 05-23-2004 07:43:36 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Mr. Gainsborough said:
Aerith is a Christ-like figure? Whoah, kick-ass.

Personally, I didn't see any biblical symbolism in Aerith's death and I really don't think there was much, if any. I mean, aren't most people in Japan either Shinto or like, not Christian?

The operative phrase was "if", though - like, if you look at Aerith as a Christ figure, what would the symbolism be like? You're probably right...however, Sephiroth is named after the "Tree of Life" - and I remember there was a giant essay somewhere on the intarweb explaining all the little and big ways FF7 relates to Gnostic Christianity. But I don't think it explained what symbolism could be found in Sephiroth impaling Aerith, and I figured you'd be the expertupo.

That said, if you don't feel up to it I imagine Deth could field it. Somehow. And tie it into Marvel comics.

but Sakkra's probably right though, although I was hoping a more complex and revelatory (?) answer could be found.

As for non-Christianity - you're probably right, but then again we've got Xenogears (quite Christian) and FFT (very, very loosely Catholic) from Square alone.

Gunslinger Moogle fucked around with this message on 05-23-2004 at 07:45 PM.

"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 05-23-2004 07:45:44 PM
Besides, it was Jenova that killed Aeris, not Sephiroth. Sephi was kinda encased in the Lifestream IIRC.
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 05-23-2004 07:47:53 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Sakkra:
Besides, it was Jenova that killed Aeris, not Sephiroth. Sephi was kinda encased in the Lifestream IIRC.

All I remember is, it was Sephiroth's body in the FMV.

Also note the similarity of the names Jehovah and Jenova.

So that said, Sephiroth possessed by Jenova killed Aerith. Gnostic? yaes? noe?

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 05-23-2004 07:49:41 PM
quote:
Verily, Gunslinger Moogle doth proclaim:
All I remember is, it was Sephiroth's body in the FMV.

Also note the similarity of the names Jehovah and Jenova.

So that said, Sephiroth possessed by Jenova killed Aerith. Gnostic? yaes? noe?

Jenova can take other forms

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 05-23-2004 08:27:10 PM
It was Sephiroth. He did the Lifestream equivalent of astral projection while he was trapped in the North Crater, and somehow discovered away to make the projection tangible. This is how he was able to do things like fly, walk through walls, and appear out of nowhere.

Unfortunately I don't know what gnostic Christianity is, so I can't contribute to the meaningful part of the discussion yet

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 05-23-2004 09:34:46 PM
quote:
Gunslinger Moogle had this to say about (_|_):
Aerith

Are you mocking me?

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 05-23-2004 10:37:36 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Are you mocking me?

Yeth.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 05-24-2004 10:22:40 AM
If you want Gnostic, ask Lyinar. Gnosticism is, surprisingly, one of the few things I have absolutely no idea about.

I do, however, believe that there are a number of parallels between Sephiroth and the Antichrist. I can get into the comparisons in detail if you want.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 05-24-2004 01:10:33 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Cuba:
If you want Gnostic, ask Lyinar. Gnosticism is, surprisingly, one of the few things I have absolutely no idea about.

I do, however, believe that there are a number of parallels between Sephiroth and the Antichrist. I can get into the comparisons in detail if you want.

Ah-ha! You have revealed your weakness! Now in any political thread, we can just say but what would the gnostics think!?

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 05-24-2004 01:49:08 PM
quote:
Gunslinger Moogle spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Ah-ha! You have revealed your weakness! Now in any political thread, we can just say but what would the gnostics think!?

ONO! MY KRYPTONITE!

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Jania Arindelil
Is really cute and cuddly... just needs a hug
posted 05-24-2004 03:30:57 PM
I haven't ever studied up on Gnostic Christianity, but I do know a fair amount about just normal Gnosticism.

Jania Arindelil
Dragon Guardian, Grandmaster Archer
Very Cranky Person
"I'll torture you so slowly, you'll think it's a career." - Darwin Mayflower
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 05-24-2004 03:49:35 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Jania Arindelil was all like:
I haven't ever studied up on Gnostic Christianity, but I do know a fair amount about just normal Gnosticism.

Well I guess that'll have to do-po.

Vecchio Hickory
Pancake
posted 05-24-2004 04:28:36 PM
Gnostic Christianity 101: The Basics

1. Gnostic Christianity believes that there is a true God that is ascended from the affairs of Man.

2. This God gave birth to lesser godlike creatures. Sophia being among them.

3. Sophia in turn gave birth to a defective lesser godlike being. That being is called the Demiurge.

4. The Demiurge is the God of the Old testament. The demiurge is viewed as basically evil, jealous, petty, and prone to genocide. Also is arrogant and believes it is the surpreme diety.

5. The Demiurge is viewed as the creator of the world and lifeforms, so the world itself is imperfect and evil. They didn't believe in original sin or fallen nature; because the world was evil from the beginning.

6. They were dualists. The spiritual was good, the material evil. Anything to do with the flesh or material world is evil. Everything to do with the spirit were good.

7. Man has the seeds of the divine in their spiritual nature from Wisdom (Sophia, mother of the demiurge). He could gain secret knowledge of the spiritual realm. Knowledge of the spirit was key to salvation.

8. Jesus as messiah was viewed as a liberator, instead of a saviour/judge. He brought ways of understanding the secret knowledge of the True God and spiritual realm. Knowledge that would free man from the influence of the demiurge. ( this really brought them into conflict with mainline christianity. Jesus was viewed both as God and Man..Spirit and Flesh. The Gnostics viewed the flesh as evil. This would imply part of the savior, God incarnate, was evil. Some Gnostics held the view Jesus was pure spirit, his body was only an illusion.)

9. The knowledge would free you upon death. When you died you would ascend and join with the all encompassing True God.

10. Their view of human salvation worked something like this: Some were so in tune with their spirits they would ascend. Some were so lost to the flesh and amterialism they were lost. Most were in a state of in between and by following a Gnostic path could ascend.

Vecchio Hickory fucked around with this message on 05-24-2004 at 04:31 PM.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 05-24-2004 10:02:53 PM
A few points. The god higher than the Aeon Sophia and the Demiurge was known as the Greater God. Gnosis is realizing the existence of the Greater God, seeing through the illusion that the Demiurge (Ialdaboth was his name, IIRC) puts upon us, that is, of his being the one True God, and eventually joining with the Geater God. It's a lot like Hinduism in that regard.

Sophia also created the Demiurge without the knowledge or permission of her male counterpart. Every Aeon had a male and female counterpart. She is often cast into the role of the serpent in the Garden of Eden, as she was trying to pass knowledge of the Greater God and the Aeons on to Adam and Eve there, knowledge the Demiurge didn't want them to have.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: