EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Star Trek Geeks this time
Peter
Pancake
posted 05-19-2004 09:32:17 PM
THis may sound like a reall silly question, but the TOS enterprise was white, not gray right? lost my destructions to my polar lights kist, box pics show it in gray, i thought it was white thoughe, now I am confused
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 05-19-2004 09:43:29 PM
Was white when it left stardock, came back dingy after use.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Kael
Whistlepig
posted 05-19-2004 09:49:39 PM
White in TOS. Greyish/blueish in TMP era.
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 05-20-2004 04:57:35 AM
There's no way the saucer seperation could have been possible. The phsyics that would be required would be impossible, even ignoring the fact that Star Trek isn't real.
Mod
Pancake
posted 05-20-2004 07:35:33 AM
quote:
Snoota had this to say about Knight Rider:
There's no way the saucer seperation could have been possible. The phsyics that would be required would be impossible, even ignoring the fact that Star Trek isn't real.

The TOS Enterprise didn't have saucer seperation.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Snoota
posted 05-20-2004 07:55:23 AM
quote:
Mod Model 2000 was programmed to say:

How the fuck should I know? I've seen like two episodes of Star Trek total, and I've no idea what TOS stands for.

I was just making fun of the Star Wars geeks who were arguing in the Star Wars thread this thread was named after.

Peter
Pancake
posted 05-20-2004 08:11:18 AM
quote:
Mod's account was hax0red to write:

...Actully, sad that I know this, but TOS Enterprise was supposed to have that ability too, just the technology at the time didn't allow them to film it, or at least it wouldn't look good. I imagine it would be a bit hard, TOS Enterprise was like an 18' model iffin I rember right.

How ever, please let this not degenrate into and aruge ment on the Science of Star Trek, I just wanted to know the color of the Enterprise.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 05-20-2004 09:14:01 AM
TOS.. THE ORIGINAL SERIES.

Most people just call it NCC-1701-A, though.

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Peter
Pancake
posted 05-20-2004 09:49:41 AM
quote:
Blindy thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
TOS.. THE ORIGINAL SERIES.

Most people just call it NCC-1701-A, though.

The Motion Picture Enterprise looks very diffrent, hence prefaceing the question with TOS. From what I have seen with the model nameing, the The A usally is used on the TMP version.

Peter fucked around with this message on 05-20-2004 at 10:04 AM.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 05-20-2004 11:27:07 AM
1. TOS was NCC-1701
2. Movie Enterprise (refit with new nacelles and technology) was NCC 1701-A
3. Enterprise 1701 B showed up in Generations (the Excelsior class ship that didn't have all it's shit installed)
4. Enterprise C showed up in a Next Generation episode; it's fall to the Romulans while defending a Klingon ship in distress was vital to bringing the Klingons and Federation to a peaceful accord.
5. Enterprise D was the Galaxy Class cruiser from the show
6. Enterprise E is the current one.

The original (1701 and 1701-A), as well as the Excelsior-class Enterprise all had the ability to separate the saucer section. This was a one time deal however, with explosive bolts firing to split off the engine/warp drive section in the case of catastrophic damage. The nacelles could also be jettisoned if necessary. The Saucer and drive section could NOT be reconnected. The Galaxy class cruiser (Enterprise-D) was the first to incorporate the ability to separate and reconnect (and prior to the Farpoint encounter, that hadn't even been tested in the field). The reason was that the Galaxy cruisers were designed to carry massive numbers of civilians, who would be herded into the saucer section to escape while the drive section (packing most of the weaponry) would stay behind and fight.

Roddenberry was desperate to get the saucer separation in the series. It, like the engine room, was NOT in the original pilot episode, but Roddenberry knew studio execs, and if he didn't push it from the start, they'd hold out on doing it later.

I have a bunch of Star Trek technical manuals for the old series (Mr Scott's Guide to the Enterprise, the TNG Technical Manual, etc). I'm a recovering Star Trek geek.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Noxhil
Pancake
posted 05-20-2004 12:03:27 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
4. Enterprise C showed up in a Next Generation episode; it's fall to the Romulans while defending a Klingon ship in distress was vital to bringing the Klingons and Federation to a peaceful accord.

4) I believe it was a Klingon outpost, not a ship.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-20-2004 12:03:48 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael's said:
2. Movie Enterprise (refit with new nacelles and technology) was NCC 1701-A

Wrong.

The A was the rebuilt one after the refitted original was destroyed in The Search For Spock.

Noxhil
Pancake
posted 05-20-2004 12:12:58 PM
Edit: Nm

Noxhil fucked around with this message on 05-20-2004 at 12:15 PM.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 05-20-2004 01:30:04 PM
quote:
Mortious wrote this stupid crap:
Wrong.

The A was the rebuilt one after the refitted original was destroyed in The Search For Spock.

According to the "Mr Scott's Guide to the Enterprise" the "refit just before the V'Ger incident" (Motion Picture, PRIOR to the Khan/Spock story) resulted in the A. The A was the first Enterprise-class cruiser (the original 1701 from the series was a Constitution-class cruiser)

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-20-2004 01:41:05 PM
That's odd..

The rebuilt version was the first to have the 'A' stamped on the hull, unless I'm mistaken.

Vecchio Hickory
Pancake
posted 05-20-2004 01:54:38 PM
Mort is right. The Enterprise A was a refitted Constitution class that was introduced at the end of Star Trek 4.

Think of the choronological order.

The current Enterprise is NX and pre-federation. Doesn't count in sequence

TOS & Movies 1-3 Enterprise (Enterprise was going to be decomissioned , and was destroyed in 3)

Enterprise A was another Constitution Class refitted and renamed Enterprise and given to Kirk after his demotion back to captain in 4.

Enterprise was B was the Excelsior class.

Enterprise C was the Ambassador class in the TNG Episode.

Enterprise D was the TNG ship.

Enterprise E was the TNG movies after D was destroyed.

Enterprise J - A ship shown to Archer in a future battle with the "sphere builders" who are manipulating the Xindi into destroying Earth. Xindi are supposedly supposed to join the federation.

Vecchio Hickory fucked around with this message on 05-20-2004 at 01:58 PM.

Blindy
posted 05-20-2004 02:14:19 PM
You watched star trek: enterprise?

And you call yourself a geek.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-20-2004 02:42:32 PM
quote:
And now, we sprinkle Blindy liberally with Old Spice!
You watched star trek: enterprise?

And you call yourself a geek.

Most Trek geeks refuse to watch Enterprise or even consider it canon because it takes a big, steamy dump on the other series' continuity. I mean, worse than the Star Wars prequels did.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Blindy
posted 05-20-2004 02:55:44 PM
quote:
If only Karnaj hadn't said this:
Most Trek geeks refuse to watch Enterprise or even consider it canon because it takes a big, steamy dump on the other series' continuity. I mean, worse than the Star Wars prequels did.

It's an excuse to show a hot ass vulcan's hard nips in every show.

Not that anyone complains about that part.

Snoota
posted 05-20-2004 03:11:04 PM
I have succeeded in my quest.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-20-2004 03:12:44 PM
quote:
Karnaj spewed forth this undeniable truth:

It's getting better. I'm enjoying the whole 'the expanse' series that's on British TV right now, and I loved the Borg episode that linked to the second TNG movie.

Dave
)_(
posted 05-20-2004 03:14:19 PM
I always liked the future Enterprise shown during the tng 2-part episode where Picard was jumping through 3 different times. Anyone have any info on that ship?
Blindy
posted 05-20-2004 03:40:27 PM
that was just the enterprise d after heavy refiting. Google search for "All Good Things" + "Enterprise" and you'll find plenty of pictures and info.

Blindy fucked around with this message on 05-20-2004 at 03:46 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-20-2004 04:52:35 PM
quote:
This one time, at Blindy camp:
that was just the enterprise d after heavy refiting. Google search for "All Good Things" + "Enterprise" and you'll find plenty of pictures and info.

Yeah, but that was only one possible timeline. Picard broke that timeline when he "patched the hole" by making inverse warp bubbles from all three Enterprise D's.

Now it's gone off on another timeline, with the Enterprise E. Fun stuff!

Drysart
Pancake
posted 05-20-2004 06:05:31 PM
Hey now, ST:E has been damn good the past four episodes or so. It's as if all the suck was siphoned out of the writers' typewriters. Don't forget the even TNG took a couple seasons before it hit its groove and started getting really good.
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 05-20-2004 06:12:15 PM
quote:
Drysart had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Hey now, ST:E has been damn good the past four episodes or so. It's as if all the suck was siphoned out of the writers' typewriters. Don't forget the even TNG took a couple seasons before it hit its groove and started getting really good.

Hmm. So it's not crappy anymore? Not doing stuff like "hay look it's the Old West, in space" or crap like that anymoreupo?

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: