EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Choosing a new political party.
Vecchio Hickory
Pancake
posted 04-26-2004 05:21:16 PM
I'm finally disgusted with the Republican Party. In my opinion the current administration is failing on the economy, the war, and civil liberties. The traditionalists have hijacked the party and subverted it to useless religious debates that have no place in the national debate.

I've got my registration card in front of me now. I'm debating on which party to join or if I'll just go independent.

I'm a conservative of the fiscal and individualist colors; so the Libertarians are looking attractive. I can support their platform and the majority of their views, just seems like I'd be wasting my votes though.

I'm Pragmatic. I'm taking a hard look at the Democrats. I've been a social moderate...I can support them in opposing things the Bush Admin has done and in civil liberties. I can also support them to a point on the economy and labor. Taxes, affirmitive action, and welfare we part sharply. Though there has been a conservative side to the Dems; something to consider.

I'd really like to just go Independent. Vote as I see fit for whatever party. Which is actually what I do. If I'm going to belong to a party; I want it to stand for something. I'd like to be able to get behind it and show support with conviction. I also work for the Federal Government. You almost need an affiliation with one of the major parties to advance jobwise.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-26-2004 05:26:10 PM
Here come the flames!
Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-26-2004 05:26:25 PM
Well, hey, at the very least now you're trendy and hip!
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-26-2004 05:27:49 PM
Join the communist party. Not because you ascribe to communism or anything, but because it'd be cool to be a card-carrying communist.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-26-2004 05:28:38 PM
quote:
Karnaj attempted to be funny by writing:
Join the communist party. Not because you ascribe to communism or anything, but because it'd be cool to be a card-carrying communist.

I've got an AARP card.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 04-26-2004 05:36:09 PM
Have fun throwing your vote away.
No third party is going to come close to being viable in the near or far future. Your best bet is to stay with whichever of the two parties most closely matches your Views and then try to change it from the inside.

The Libertarians will never get anyone in a major office. Well I take that back. They may get one or two if they pull some major tricks out of their ass. However they will never have a significant impact on the overall state of things.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-26-2004 05:40:04 PM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
No third party is going to come close to being viable in the near or far future. Your best bet is to stay with whichever of the two parties most closely matches your Views and then try to change it from the inside.

The Libertarians will never get anyone in a major office. Well I take that back. They may get one or two if they pull some major tricks out of their ass. However they will never have a significant impact on the overall state of things.

And why should someone who doesn't agree with either side just say "screw it" because some third side "won't ever have a chance"? They may be "throwing their vote away" according to you, but what if I disagree with your vote? You, in my mind, would be throwing your vote away. That is the beauty of this country's political system. We vote what we believe in, not what someone tells us to vote in.

can you please fix my title
posted 04-26-2004 05:41:01 PM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about Optimus Prime:

independants have won here and there nothign major but the fact they have won means you cant really discard them Nader got 8% of the vote? thats not bad.

mr ventura won the govenership I honestly think perot had it in the bag if he hadnt gone mental and droped out and then rejoined ....

Ill agree i dont see any major canidates for the independants other than nader at the moment that have the popularity to win. and even Nadar as it stnads isnt going to win.

but you know if you get enough votes then the taxpayers pay for your campain.

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Zair
The Imp
posted 04-26-2004 05:41:03 PM
Be an independant then.

But vote for Kerry. He can't be any worse than Bush.
Also, acording to his recently released military records, he has killed over twenty men. If Vietcong infiltrate the White House, wouldn't you rather have John Kerry as president?

can you please fix my title
posted 04-26-2004 05:41:37 PM
quote:
Zair painfully thought these words up:
Be an independant then.

But vote for Kerry. He can't be any worse than Bush.
Also, acording to his recently released military records, he has killed over twenty men. If Vietcong infiltrate the White House, wouldn't you rather have John Kerry as president?

no id rather have john rambo

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-26-2004 05:42:44 PM
It comes down to what you believe, and a similar analogy might be FFXI.

You want to play a Monk/Redmage. It sounds cool and such. But it doesn't make any sense and you won't get anything done, but it's what you believe.

And so it comes down to standing up for what you believe in or getting things done.

Vecchio Hickory
Pancake
posted 04-26-2004 05:46:12 PM
Somthor, when I say independent, I mean not affiliated with any party, not the movement that came out of Perot in 92.
Zair
The Imp
posted 04-26-2004 05:47:14 PM
Azizza has a point, somewhat. You are never going to agree with every issue of either the Democrats or the Republicans. It is best that you find which one fits you closest, especially since joinging one will be beneficial for your profession.

He is wrong about third parties having little impact, however. What happens is that third parties come along that address issues that the major parties aren't addressing. Then, when those issues become popular, one of the major parties takes up that platform, but that pretty much kills the third party.

So, really, third parties are helpful in reforming and keeping the two major parties honest.

Zair fucked around with this message on 04-26-2004 at 05:49 PM.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 04-26-2004 05:52:19 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Zair wrote:

So, really, third parties are helpful in reforming and keeping the two major parties honest.

Good point there. You are correct. I mean more that they don't have an impact on the direct government. You are not going to see a Libertarian or Green party controlled congress.

Vecchio Hickory
Pancake
posted 04-26-2004 05:56:06 PM
I'm sure Azizza is a life long Republican, just as I am. I'm not leaving the party lightly. I've been a Republican since I was old enough to vote. I'm 31 now.

I'm sure Azizza will also admit the Republican banner is between the individualist and traditionalist conservatives. The traditionalists have pretty much locked up the party. They betray the individualist platforms of the party. Quite a few libertarians are former individualist conservative republicans.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 04-26-2004 06:00:56 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Vecchio Hickory:
I'm sure Azizza is a life long Republican, just as I am. I'm not leaving the party lightly. I've been a Republican since I was old enough to vote. I'm 31 now.

I'm sure Azizza will also admit the Republican banner is between the individualist and traditionalist conservatives. The traditionalists have pretty much locked up the party. They betray the individualist platforms of the party. Quite a few libertarians are former individualist conservative republicans.

Actually I used to be a very staunch Democrat till I was about 20.
The Traditional conservative element is pretty strong. However they are also composed mostly of the Older Republicans. (50 and up) The Younger generation is very different. And they are the ones who will control the party in another 10 years.

Zair
The Imp
posted 04-26-2004 06:20:22 PM
Interesting article from Fortune magazine on why we would be better off with a Democrat president, written by a fiscal conservative no less.

He basically argues that the best way we can stop the rampant spending is to split the congress and presidency between the two parties. Since congressional control is unlikely to change, he opts for electing Kerry.

Just another reason why, even if you can't bring yourself to switch parties, you should consider at least voting Democrat.

Zair fucked around with this message on 04-26-2004 at 06:21 PM.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 04-26-2004 06:26:28 PM
Has there ever been a time where the feeling of "Anyone is better than that idiot in office" has been more strong?
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 04-26-2004 07:03:05 PM
You know what to do.

-------------------------------------------------\/

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 04-26-2004 07:11:36 PM
I'll agree with what's been said about never agreeing entirly with the platform your party takes.

For instance, I think Democratic gun policy is flat-out retarded but, I'm still a democrat because over the whole spectrum of issues I lean more towards that side.

Really though, if you're a moderate who's not interested in a political career, party choice mostly affects who you can vote for in primary elections.

Dr. Gee fucked around with this message on 04-26-2004 at 07:11 PM.

Darius!
Pancake
posted 04-26-2004 09:06:33 PM
Terrorists. All of you.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 04-26-2004 09:10:19 PM
Vote Neowhig in '04!
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 04-26-2004 09:23:22 PM
Go Independent and vote for Jesse Ventura when he runs in 2008.
Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 04-26-2004 09:36:46 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about dark elf butts:
It comes down to what you believe, and a similar analogy might be FFXI.

You want to play a Monk/Redmage. It sounds cool and such. But it doesn't make any sense and you won't get anything done, but it's what you believe.

And so it comes down to standing up for what you believe in or getting things done.

Wait, so what you're saying is I should have taken the RM/Monk?! awww damnit!

"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 04-27-2004 11:11:11 AM
quote:
Azizza got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Actually I used to be a very staunch Democrat till I was about 20.
The Traditional conservative element is pretty strong. However they are also composed mostly of the Older Republicans. (50 and up) The Younger generation is very different. And they are the ones who will control the party in another 10 years.

In that time there will have been at least two presidential elections, and numerous cases of local and state elections, and more. So. What you're saying is that someone should stay the course for a decade (and that's assuming you don't have Jesse Helms and Strom Thurmond types roaming around as the old dogs of the party...it's not like they're all going to die. The 40somethings now will be the old dogs then) on the off chance that the party will at some point in the next decade become something you feel comfortable voting for.

Yeah. No thanks.

All being independent (not Independant Party, not Libertarian, etc) means is that you don't get to vote in primaries, which are in turn only important if you want to change the function of the party (Republicans can't vote in Democratic primaries and vice versa). You still get to vote on all the major elections. You still get to make your opinion known.

It's not, despite what the two parties' propaganda machines like to say, the same thing (effectively or otherwise) as throwing away your vote, not voting, etc. That sort of logic defeats the purpose of having a choice; if you only have column A or column B to choose from, then there's very little chance for a truly middle path. You're either for, or against, with or without, swinging between one absolute or another.

I personally like the individualist notions of the Republican Party. I do not, however, like the traditionalist, paranoid stance they've taken about a lot of things lately. I also like a lot about the Democratic Party. I strongly support their belief in personal freedoms (privacy, abortion, scientific research), but at the same time I've seen the flaws in financial aid of various sorts if you don't rein it in. That's why I shifted to being registered as an independent voter when I moved up here to Indiana.

If Hick has decided he wants to do the same, it does NOT mean he's throwing away his vote. It means that no matter his basic conservative or liberal bent, he's taken issue with how the parties are run. He probably cares more about and is less likely to compromise on the ideals he feels aren't jiving with the parties' lines than people who are willing to say "okay I'll give up my stance on Abortion in favor of X". Does that make him a better citizen? Or a super-citizen? Not at all. It just means he's opting, as everyone has the chance to do, to take a more hands-on approach to things.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 04-27-2004 11:34:41 AM
Vote Green, it's like voting Republican but not.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 04-27-2004 11:36:10 AM
Vote for Duke!
Vote for Duke!
Vote for Duke!
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 04-27-2004 12:12:52 PM
quote:
Verily, Sakkra doth proclaim:
Vote for Duke!
Vote for Duke!
Vote for Duke!

[fark] Duke sucks [/fark]

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: