EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Trying to remember the title of a sci fi trilogy
Vecchio Hickory
Pancake
posted 04-26-2004 12:50:41 PM
It was written back in the 70's. I can't remember the the title or the author. It was an excellent trilogy and they re-released them in one edition back in 2000.

The story runs something like this. Earth and some species have been at war. The species being fought uses another alien race as mercenaries. They are like some kind of bedouin martial artists. Strict code of honor and skills. The humans have pretty much wiped them out in the war, only a handful still exist.

The war is pretty much over and a human gets caught by this race. He ends up pretty much joining them and learning their ways. Earth has won the war, and working out peace with the other species. There is a huge mystery as to where the merc race came from. They have lost nearly all knowledge of their origins. They have myths and some sacred object. The sacred object turns out to be some navigational map that leads back ot their homeworld. They and the human follow it to get them back where they came from...as they are thinking they are the only handful left of their species.

For some reason the race they worked for is trying to hunt them down and kill them off. Something to do with what they know and if humamnity finds out before the final peace is negotiated.

Does this series ring a bell with anyone?

Vecchio Hickory fucked around with this message on 04-26-2004 at 12:54 PM.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-26-2004 12:57:09 PM
You talking bout the Faded Sun trilogy by C.J. Cherryh?

Never read it, but read blurbs about it. A desert dwelling mercenary race(Mri) who have been whittled down to a hundred by the unending numbers of the humans who don't fight by the same rules that the honor-bound Mri (or something) fight by.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Vecchio Hickory
Pancake
posted 04-26-2004 12:58:48 PM
That would be the one. Thanks kat!
Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 04-26-2004 12:59:04 PM
edit: Ah alright, might have to try that.

Niklas fucked around with this message on 04-26-2004 at 01:01 PM.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-26-2004 01:06:41 PM
I've wanted to read if for a while now just cause the guys on the front cover of the omnibus remind me so much of my favorite assassin-anti-hero, Achmed the Snake from the Rhapsody series.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Vecchio Hickory
Pancake
posted 04-26-2004 01:16:14 PM
I read them years ago. I bought the omnibus back in 2000. Never got around to re-reading the story. Now I can't find the book. Gonna have to go and pick up a new copy.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: