EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Stamps for e-mail
Vecchio Hickory
Pancake
posted 03-05-2004 12:46:23 PM
Aaron (the good one)
posted 03-05-2004 12:50:20 PM
How to get E-Commerice to come to a grinding halt! Great idea Bill!
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 03-05-2004 01:10:34 PM
I dunno, I'm perfectly willing to pay for something I've always gotten for free before for absolutly no reason other than to allow some people to make some money.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 03-05-2004 01:23:02 PM
Well, there could be a .0000000000001% chance of stopping internet spam with that....

*is tomatoed to death by the mobs*

Maradon!
posted 03-05-2004 01:32:50 PM
quote:
x--JooJooFlopO-('-'Q) :
I dunno, I'm perfectly willing to pay for something I've always gotten for free before for absolutly no reason other than to allow some people to make some money.

Actually, I'm 100% totally and completely in support of this idea.

E-Mail as it exists now is essentially useless. If you use an email regularly, after a couple months a good 80% of your incoming mail will be spam. Spam blockers only work by eliminating large IP blocks, and even then miss a good amount of spam. Filters are practically useless, nearly every spammer knows how to work around common filters. (\/iagra anyone?) There's the common "block everyone except x" solution, but then you miss potentially important emails from people you weren't expecting.

The reason why spam is such a problem is the same reason AOL prints so many goddamn CD's: It's cost effective. You can send out a billion emails basically for free. Add to that the fact that you have no real way to discern between legitimate and illegitimate email and you have a serious problem with email as an official means of communication.

However, I don't think all email should require a stamp. Free email services could easily coexist. Think of it this way; if you have something important, put a stamp on it. That stamp can be an assurance of accurate transmission and reciept, just like real mail. The email gets a postmark and becomes a legal document, just like real mail. Viewing by anyone other than the addresee becomes a federal offense, just like real mail.

On the recieving end, you can set your mail server to ONLY recieve stamped mail if you so choose, thus utterly eliminating spam and elevating your email to an official, reliable channel of communication.

Espio Idsavant
You have gotten better at Being a Lush! (200)
posted 03-05-2004 01:34:25 PM
How would you stop spammers from making fake postage headers?
And you can still be free, If time will set you free
And going higher than the mountain tops
And go high like the wind don't stop...

[ My gooberish Live Journal thingy ]

Maradon!
posted 03-05-2004 01:36:58 PM
quote:
x--Espio IdsavantO-('-'Q) :
How would you stop spammers from making fake postage headers?

I'm pretty sure they aren't suggesting something as simple as adding a few extra characters to the subject line.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-05-2004 01:40:59 PM
My hotmail address that I registered in october has still not received one spam email yet.

Wanna know why? I dont give out the address on the net. I will not put it into AIM. I only give it to someone in person, and only a ferw people have it. I don't put it on a mailing list of any kind.

So, don't post your address all over and it WONT get spammed.

Maradon!
posted 03-05-2004 01:42:05 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marring:

Now there's an effective solution: don't use it and it won't break

can you please fix my title
posted 03-05-2004 01:42:25 PM
im against it simply becuse once you let them tax it/ charge for it they will only increase it.

dont open the door/box

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Maradon!
posted 03-05-2004 01:43:22 PM
quote:
x--SomthorO-('-'Q) :
im against it simply becuse once you let them tax it/ charge for it they will only increase it.

dont open the door/box

There's no precedent for that. Snail mail has been stable forever now, save for the occasional hike to keep up with inflation

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-05-2004 02:12:25 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Now there's an effective solution: don't use it and it won't break

Funny, I don't recall saying I don't use it. I just don't post it on the net.

I give it to friends only. I don't want people I just met mailing me, I don't give it to them. I don't post it on forums, why should I? There are other methods of contact through forums.

IF I njeed to put an address in a web form, I have other addresses I use for that. Guess what, they get a ton of spam.

If you give your real life address out to alot of people, give it out on contest forms in stores and such, people will send you more real life spam mail. If you givey our phone number out to anyone and everyone, you'll get more calls from tele marketers.

[ 03-05-2004: Message edited by: Falaanla Marr ]

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-05-2004 02:13:43 PM
hay self?

yeah?

read the whole post before you reply next time.

k

[ 03-05-2004: Message edited by: Kegwen ]

posted 03-05-2004 02:16:20 PM
quote:
Maradon! was listening to Cher while typing:
There's no precedent for that. Snail mail has been stable forever now, save for the occasional hike to keep up with inflation

realy? mmmm how about income tax? state income tax? sales tax? they all start out low and contiune to rise.

when I got to FL in the 70"s it was 5% sales tax now its 7% or higher

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 03-05-2004 02:44:01 PM
Bill Gates suggested a different type of postage.

Imagine if in order to send e-mail though the internet a computer had to decode a response handshake message from the smtp server receiving the message that would require a few megaflops worth of math to do.

Big deal- even on a p2, it might take .8 seconds to process and respond. sending an e-mail to 20 people might require 10 seconds, ect.

But imagine the HAVOC that would cause to spammers trying to send out millions of messages an hour...

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Suddar
posted 03-05-2004 02:49:43 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr said this about your mom:
My hotmail address that I registered in october has still not received one spam email yet.

Wanna know why? I dont give out the address on the net. I will not put it into AIM. I only give it to someone in person, and only a ferw people have it. I don't put it on a mailing list of any kind.

I'd like to know your real secret, because I started getting spam in my hotmail account the moment I signed up for it. Literally.

It hit 450 in the 30 days and then I just let it die.

Synjari
Warrior Princess
Cookie Seraphim!
posted 03-05-2004 03:14:34 PM
Ive yet to get spam either.. yet KaL got it pretty fast when he did his signup..
"Villiany wears many masks, none of which are more dangerous than virtue." - "Sleepy Hollow"
Suddar
posted 03-05-2004 03:41:19 PM
Maybe it's random. ;P

I just know mine got spammed to high heaven, and I never once even used it.

Talonus
Loner
posted 03-05-2004 03:42:08 PM
I don't know if I'm lucky or what, but I've never recieved anything more than minimal amounts of spam (1-2 emails a week). This is with my old comcast address, my new one, my school address, hotmail address, etc. No filters, I use web forms, etc. *shrugs* I'm a freak I guess.
Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 03-05-2004 03:45:20 PM
quote:
Talonus had this to say about pies:
I don't know if I'm lucky or what, but I've never recieved anything more than minimal amounts of spam (1-2 emails a week). This is with my old comcast address, my new one, my school address, hotmail address, etc. No filters, I use web forms, etc. *shrugs* I'm a freak I guess.

Well, with my yahoo one I get 17 in my bulk mail a day but that I can just get rid of with one click..

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 03-05-2004 03:49:40 PM
quote:
From the book of Blindy, chapter 3, verse 16:

Imagine if in order to send e-mail though the internet a computer had to decode a response handshake message from the smtp server receiving the message that would require a few megaflops worth of math to do.

Big deal- even on a p2, it might take .8 seconds to process and respond. sending an e-mail to 20 people might require 10 seconds, ect.

But imagine the HAVOC that would cause to spammers trying to send out millions of messages an hour...

I don't know. They could just get some sort of bot that would send it to, say, 20 people at a time and do that 10^13 times over like 10^12 seconds, then just leave the computer on for a while.

I don't know much computer science though, so there may be something completely wrong with that.

And Talonus: you don't get any spam because after your little incident with the pencil sharpener, penis enlargement became a lost cause for you.

[ 03-05-2004: Message edited by: Gunslinger Moogle ]

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 03-05-2004 04:23:29 PM
quote:
Blindy thought about the meaning of life:

Now THAT sounds like a good idea.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 03-05-2004 04:27:33 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Robocop:
Actually, I'm 100% totally and completely in support of this idea.

E-Mail as it exists now is essentially useless. If you use an email regularly, after a couple months a good 80% of your incoming mail will be spam. Spam blockers only work by eliminating large IP blocks, and even then miss a good amount of spam. Filters are practically useless, nearly every spammer knows how to work around common filters. (\/iagra anyone?) There's the common "block everyone except x" solution, but then you miss potentially important emails from people you weren't expecting.

The reason why spam is such a problem is the same reason AOL prints so many goddamn CD's: It's cost effective. You can send out a billion emails basically for free. Add to that the fact that you have no real way to discern between legitimate and illegitimate email and you have a serious problem with email as an official means of communication.

However, I don't think all email should require a stamp. Free email services could easily coexist. Think of it this way; if you have something important, put a stamp on it. That stamp can be an assurance of accurate transmission and reciept, just like real mail. The email gets a postmark and becomes a legal document, just like real mail. Viewing by anyone other than the addresee becomes a federal offense, just like real mail.

On the recieving end, you can set your mail server to ONLY recieve stamped mail if you so choose, thus utterly eliminating spam and elevating your email to an official, reliable channel of communication.

Well, I've kept an e-mail address and distributed it for at least a full year and received no spam emails with no filters in place. Not sure what your problem is.

As blindy pointed out, I think you all need to actually click the fucking link before you talk about the article. If you had, you wouldn't have seen anything about money -- just time. Somthor, they're not going to put a tax on zero dollars, dipshit.

[ 03-05-2004: Message edited by: Kalculus Kid or Mathinator or Waisz ]

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Mod
Pancake
posted 03-05-2004 04:31:00 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Tron:
Funny, I don't recall saying I don't use it. I just don't post it on the net.

I give it to friends only. I don't want people I just met mailing me, I don't give it to them. I don't post it on forums, why should I? There are other methods of contact through forums.

IF I njeed to put an address in a web form, I have other addresses I use for that. Guess what, they get a ton of spam.

If you give your real life address out to alot of people, give it out on contest forms in stores and such, people will send you more real life spam mail. If you givey our phone number out to anyone and everyone, you'll get more calls from tele marketers.

It's a great thing to follow for personal use, if you are running a company or website and need your E-Mail to be public so people can contact you this will not work however.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 03-05-2004 04:35:01 PM
quote:
Somthor enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:

dont open the door/box

How dare they charge 37 cents to send a letter ACROSS THE FRIGGIN' WORLD.

Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 03-05-2004 05:56:55 PM
I didnt read th earticle eyt, but i knwo a few months ago on tech tv theyw here talking hwo gates ahd mentieoned a paln to cut spam by charigna penhny an email, and prettymcuh everyone hated the idea, the handshake thign makes sense, bu t tis nto tliek they didnt orgianly try toe xtort anythign from it

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 03-05-2004 06:26:51 PM
I concur about the prespam.

I opened a hotmail account and it had 5 new messages first opening.

An hour later I had 10.

I didnt go back to that.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)

posted 03-05-2004 06:38:47 PM
quote:
Kalculus Kid or Mathinator or Waisz said this about your mom:
Well, I've kept an e-mail address and distributed it for at least a full year and received no spam emails with no filters in place. Not sure what your problem is.

As blindy pointed out, I think you all need to actually click the fucking link before you talk about the article. If you had, you wouldn't have seen anything about money -- just time. Somthor, they're not going to put a tax on zero dollars, dipshit.

you take thinks too literly and dont think out of the box. how about a tax per 10 sent or 100 sent? doesnt matter what the cost is once there is a COST it will only increase.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 03-05-2004 06:40:19 PM
My Yahoo account gets spam, like, a couple times a month. Maybe.
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Steven Steve
posted 03-05-2004 07:00:53 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr's fortune cookie read:

Same

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 03-05-2004 08:35:11 PM
I received two e-mail addresses when I arrived at CSU. One for being a student, and another for being a Comp Sci major.

The CS one had 40 pieces of spam in it BEFORE I EVEN KNEW IT EXISTED, and easily gets 20 more pieces a day. I've never once even used the thing. Something's fucked. ;p

Strip Club - Online Comic Reader and Archiver for Linux and Windows (and maybe OSX)
Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 03-05-2004 10:08:22 PM
quote:
Somthor obviously shouldn't have said:
you take thinks too literly and dont think out of the box. how about a tax per 10 sent or 100 sent? doesnt matter what the cost is once there is a COST it will only increase.

But if it doesn't cost money then there's no venue to take money out of.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 03-05-2004 10:10:32 PM
Slippery Slope is such a logical argument! yay for slippery slopes!
Drysart
Pancake
posted 03-05-2004 10:19:55 PM
quote:
Blindy tried to impress everyone with:

Considering they've got thousands of zombie machines around the world from trojans, I don't think it'd even put so much as a speed bump in the path of spammers, much less cause HAVOC.

Then there's the problem that if the computation is sufficiently complex, it makes running a legit mailing list untenable, it makes sending mail from slower machines very time-intensive, and the solution doesn't age well thanks to Moore's Law.

This scheme is not Microsoft's invention. The idea of "hash cash" for email has been around for a while and hasn't picked up steam thanks to the previously listed fundamental problems with it. More recently proposed schemes like SPF and Domain Keys offer a much better solution, and also are enjoying widening adoption.

[ 03-05-2004: Message edited by: Drysart ]

Sarudani Miolnir
Old-school poster
posted 03-06-2004 12:28:32 AM
I wouldn't support it. If anything spammers will simply get a bulk rate like they currently do with the post office. Once they're paying for the privilege their stuff would be concidered legitimate unsolicited mail and your ISP will be legally prevented from blocking it.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: