EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Too much?
Ares
posted 03-04-2004 10:54:22 PM
My boyfriend wants me to go meet his friends and family in NYC in the spring. However, his mom (who I have yet to meet)doesn't want me staying at her apartment until she meets my parents which is fine. Instead she said that she'd pay for a hotel room for me...(I'm sure you all can guess how much $ that would be in NYC)..

I really want to go, but I don't want to put out his mom. I'd feel so badly about it... I mean, that's a lot of money to be paying out. I don't know why she offered this considering she doesn't have the money, nor has ever met/talked to me. I'm one of those people who doesn't want to feel as though they are taking advantage of someone else's generosity (especially someone who I want to make a good impression with).

I really want to go, but I don't want to have his mom paying for my trip... I'd pay for my own hotel, but I don't have the money at the moment..

Suggestions/idead/thoughts on this?

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 03-04-2004 11:07:10 PM
Don't let her pay for ANYTHING, she'll just lord it over you as long as you're with her little boy.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
*Tal*
Pancake
posted 03-05-2004 01:56:35 AM
Let her pay for it. It will give her a sense that you trust her, and are accepting of her hospitality. If you refuse, she will assume you are an independant little bitch.

If offered, accept.

They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
Jet
Pancake
posted 03-05-2004 02:01:28 AM
quote:
Ares was listening to Cher while typing:
[QB]
I really want to go, but I don't want to put out his mom. I'd feel so badly about it... I mean, that's a lot of money to be paying out. I don't know why she offered this considering she doesn't have the money, nor has ever met/talked to me. I'm one of those people who doesn't want to feel as though they are taking advantage of someone else's generosity (especially someone who I want to make a good impression with).

I really want to go, but I don't want to have his mom paying for my trip... I'd pay for my own hotel, but I don't have the money at the moment..

QB]

Tell her this... see what she says

Maradon!
posted 03-05-2004 02:03:04 AM
The irony is that both JooJoo and Tal could possibly right, it just depends on what kind of person we're dealing with.

I'd say find out more about her if possible, but if not, decline. It's better to be seen as independent than to be seen as a mooch under any circumstances.

*Tal*
Pancake
posted 03-05-2004 02:25:42 AM
Actually..

Tal is right. For he knows the ways of people, mothers, and hotels. And if she is offering to pay for a hotel stay, in NYC, its a genuine gesture of friendliness. You dont offer to foot that kind of bill for somebody, just to have something to hold over them later.

And as one who has offended MANY sets of parents over the years, I am experienced in the ways.

Hell, I had one girlfriends parents ban me from thier home over a BAG OF HAZELNUTS! That takes skill.

They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 03-05-2004 02:28:23 AM
Hazelnuts?

This needs more explanation.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 03-05-2004 02:33:16 AM
The bag of hazelnuts said "DEEZ NUTS" on it and they got offended.

*Tal*
Pancake
posted 03-05-2004 03:14:35 AM
actually, the whole scene involved repainting a wall later, and changing out the water in the swimming pool, and hot tub.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 03-05-2004 03:19:35 AM
Well, now you have to tell us.

Cmon now ya tallywag.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
*Tal*
Pancake
posted 03-05-2004 03:54:28 AM
the hazelnuts started it
Abbikat
Tastes best with pudding
posted 03-05-2004 04:01:54 AM
quote:
*Tal* had this to say about Tron:
actually, the whole scene involved repainting a wall later, and changing out the water in the swimming pool, and hot tub.

is this going to in someway involve some kind of bodily excretion (other than spooge)?

Were-Tigress Disciple of Lycanthropy
Perma-lowbie, addicted to MMORPGs
My LiveJournal

*Tal*
Pancake
posted 03-05-2004 04:14:57 AM
quote:
Abbikat had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
is this going to in someway involve some kind of bodily excretion (other than spooge)?

no

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-05-2004 08:42:35 AM
I concur with Jet's comment.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

can you please fix my title
posted 03-05-2004 09:06:30 AM
well you can start saving now and hope for the best, or let them know youd love to go but you cant aford it. It depends on the person but I personly wouldnt accept the hospitality of a person I hadnt met yet. Now if he wsa your intended that would be different. BUt as a bf/gf id be uncomfortable.

could always suggest they come vist you instead.

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Talonus
Loner
posted 03-05-2004 09:39:04 AM
I have to agree with Tal, it'd be rude not to take up the offer.

Don't worry too much about the cost either. Unless she's putting you up in one of the more expensive hotels it won't be too bad. There's just a huge range of possible hotel costs in NYC.

Marflord
Pancake
posted 03-05-2004 11:48:01 AM
Tal is right. I hear an echo somewhere. But be sure to VERY thankfull, even send her a thank you note, its little things like that that will disolve all (if any existed) thoughts in the mothers head that you might be an ungrateful mooch. Notes go a long way.

[ 03-05-2004: Message edited by: Marflord ]

~Smashing Pumpkins~

"Life is not like the songs sweetling, you may learn that one day to your sorrow." Petyr Baelish to Sansa Stark ~ From "A Song of Ice and Fire

Maradon!
posted 03-05-2004 11:59:37 AM
One way out that you don't seem to have contemplated yet is arranging a meeting of your parents so you can stay in their apartment

That way you get to shag the whole time, too!

Vecchio Hickory
Pancake
posted 03-05-2004 12:13:41 PM
That is one of the oddest reasons I've heard. Because she hasn't met your parents? I could understand her wanting to meet you before letting you stay in the apartment.
Talonus
Loner
posted 03-05-2004 01:43:31 PM
quote:
Vecchio Hickory stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
That is one of the oddest reasons I've heard. Because she hasn't met your parents? I could understand her wanting to meet you before letting you stay in the apartment.

She may not fully trust Ares as of yet. Typically, one's parents have a huge effect on how their child will act. If Ares' parents seem trustworthy, then there is a good chance she'll be trustworthy.

Ares
posted 03-05-2004 01:47:21 PM
quote:
Vecchio Hickory had this to say about Matthew Broderick:

She's apparently old fashioned. She's a lot older than most mother's with a son my BF's age. She's 60. He was an... "oops". I'm kindof scared of meeting her, cause apparently she's made every GF her sons have brought home to her cry. Mind you, that's only one side of the story. When I do meet her, I'm planning on buying a nice bouquet of flowers as a thank you and just a nice gesture.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and ideas. I guess I'll save up and see what happens. Even paying for half would be better.

Maradon!
posted 03-05-2004 01:47:29 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Talonus who doth quote:
She may not fully trust Ares as of yet. Typically, one's parents have a huge effect on how their child will act. If Ares' parents seem trustworthy, then there is a good chance she'll be trustworthy.

It's actually a completely false and potentially harmful conclusion to arrive at. Kids with fine, upstanding, strict parents can be a horrible influence. Kids with trailer trash parents can have hearts of gold.

I'd say such a mindset brings the wisdom of this guy's mom into serious question.

Maradon!
posted 03-05-2004 01:49:19 PM
quote:
x--AresO-('-'Q) :
She's apparently old fashioned. She's a lot older than most mother's with a son my BF's age. She's 60. He was an... "oops". I'm kindof scared of meeting her, cause apparently she's made every GF her sons have brought home to her cry. Mind you, that's only one side of the story. When I do meet her, I'm planning on buying a nice bouquet of flowers as a thank you and just a nice gesture.

I'd say ditch the guy.

She sounds like a twisted old bitch, and this guy sounds like a complete pussy for tolerating her.

posted 03-05-2004 02:07:48 PM
I say ask her to come vist you prior to your trip then you wont be a stranger and then she wont have the excuse.

also puts the ball in her court and gets you off the hook.

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Vecchio Hickory
Pancake
posted 03-05-2004 02:10:48 PM
I was going to recommend that, Ares. Paying for half or offering to pay for half might be a good gesture.
Ares
posted 03-05-2004 02:14:44 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
I'd say ditch the guy.

She sounds like a twisted old bitch, and this guy sounds like a complete pussy for tolerating her.

Um.. He moved from NYC to Western NY to get away from her.

Vecchio Hickory
Pancake
posted 03-05-2004 02:27:59 PM
More I think about it, the more I think his mother is rude. Old fashioned or not. You are an invited guest of her son, if she wants to meet you then by extension you are her guest. Putting you in a hotel is just rude and shows no courtesy.

I might feel different if he was staying with you, in a different room of course.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 03-05-2004 02:34:36 PM
quote:
Vecchio Hickory had this to say about John Romero:
More I think about it, the more I think his mother is rude. Old fashioned or not. You are an invited guest of her son, if she wants to meet you then by extension you are her guest. Putting you in a hotel is just rude and shows no courtesy.

I might feel different if he was staying with you, in a different room of course.

I was dating a guy and my father refused to allow him to stay at their house when we went to visit, because he felt that our "shacking up" was a bad influence on my younger siblings that lived at home. Even though the guy could have had his own room at my parent's house. We weren't even living together, he just didn't want to start a precedent.

So we stayed in a hotel. Together.

Vecchio Hickory
Pancake
posted 03-05-2004 02:38:59 PM
quote:
So quoth Nae:
I was dating a guy and my father refused to allow him to stay at their house when we went to visit, because he felt that our "shacking up" was a bad influence on my younger siblings that lived at home. Even though the guy could have had his own room at my parent's house. We weren't even living together, he just didn't want to start a precedent.

So we stayed in a hotel. Together.

That is what I mean Nae. It seems rude that she would put Ares in a hotel, yet her son with her. I meant seperate rooms in the hotel, because Mom might not take it to well them staying in the same room. As Ares is just meeting her and trying to make a good impression.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 03-05-2004 02:46:38 PM
quote:
Vecchio Hickory said this about your mom:
That is what I mean Nae. It seems rude that she would put Ares in a hotel, yet her son with her. I meant seperate rooms in the hotel, because Mom might not take it to well them staying in the same room. As Ares is just meeting her and trying to make a good impression.

Well at least she is offering to pay for it, my father didn't.

I am not saying what she is doing is wrong or right, because it's her own moral thing, and I am not going to judge that. She doesn't think it's proper fo a young lady to visit her without meeting the folks first.. so have her meet the folks first, as was suggested. Or, have the boyfriend stay in a hotel with you. Seems like he should have suggested it anyway, but that's my POV.

Ares
posted 03-05-2004 03:02:51 PM
Well, she can't visit here cause her mother is very ill. And my parents can't go there cause well, we're too poor. With the exchange and stuff. She wishes to talk to my parents on the phone when/if I visit.

I'm glad my rents are pretty cool. They let my BF sleep in our basement when he visits and I sleep upstairs.

posted 03-05-2004 06:41:26 PM
mmm how about sending her a copy of netmeeting?

ares is jsut too cool to not want to meet hope it all works out for you. too many other things in life to stress over meeting your SO's partents shouldnt be one of them.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: