EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Poll: Lyinar...
Author
Topic: Lyinar...
Drysart
Pancake
posted 03-30-2003 02:04:11 AM
arf arf
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 03-30-2003 02:08:03 AM
once again, I want to choose two of them..
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 03-30-2003 02:09:12 AM
OH NOSE.

WHO'S NEXT?

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 03-30-2003 02:10:32 AM
I requested it BM.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 03-30-2003 02:12:19 AM
I wanted an option somewhere between 2 and 3.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 03-30-2003 02:16:58 AM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Tron:
I requested it BM.
That's no fun.

Matilda Jane
ph33r my MIRVs
posted 03-30-2003 02:20:15 AM
I chose 3 but that's probably because negative things tend to stick out in my mind.

I would have liked a decent gal option.

There was a signature here... it's gone now.
Drysart
Pancake
posted 03-30-2003 02:23:03 AM
beh.. that's a good idea. Give me a minute to change the poll and clear the votes.
Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 03-30-2003 02:24:03 AM
Ooh, ooh, I'm insecure, can I have one?

""...destructive analysis of the familiar is the only method of approach to an understanding of fundamentally different modes of expression." -Edward Sapir, Language
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 03-30-2003 02:24:39 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Bloodcookie wrote:
Ooh, ooh, I'm insecure, can I have one?

You arn't important enough.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 03-30-2003 02:26:37 AM
quote:
Drysart had this to say about dark elf butts:
beh.. that's a good idea. Give me a minute to change the poll and clear the votes.
"I'm indifferent on the matter" != "She's a decent gal."

Teagan
Patron Deity of Ramen
posted 03-30-2003 02:26:55 AM
Japalo backs into the room, dragging behind him a small catapult with various items stored on the base. Once it's in the center of the room, he stops and turns to address the crowd.

"Meow. Mow rrow meow-oww.", he says, in what may be a large cat's version of a serious voice.

Carefully, he pulls a lifesized cardboard cutout of Luna (with a pine tree around her neck) and stands it against the wall.

"Rrow mow. Meow meow, meow."

Next, he pulls a plush prairie dog toy out, and drops it gently onto the floor. It lands with a liquid *splat*, and a label from a jar of strawberry jam can be seen sticking to its ass.

"Meow-rrow. Maow."

With a quick scoop of the paw, Japolo picks the toy up, and deposits it within the basket of the small catapult. He licks his paw for a moment, removing small amounts of strawberry jam that have seeped out of the toy. He then walks over to the rope that holds the tension on the catapult arm.

"Mow, me-ow!"

With a quick swipe of his paw, Japolo uses his claws to cut the rope. The toy prairie dog is launched through the air to unerringly strike the cardboard cutout. With a disturbing *splat*, it is reduced to a large strawberry stain in the shape of a heart, and random bits of synthetic fluff.

"Meow meow. Mow meowmeow, meow meow." *purr*

Japolo stretches out in a feline bow to the crowd, and then exits the room.

"Hey guy, need a light?"
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 03-30-2003 02:27:14 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Black Mage:
"I'm indifferent on the matter" != "She's a decent gal."

Close enough.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 03-30-2003 02:27:58 AM
quote:
How.... Black Mage.... uughhhhhh:
[QUOTE]Drysart had this to say about dark elf butts:
[qb]beh.. that's a good idea. Give me a minute to change the poll and clear the votes.

"I'm indifferent on the matter" != "She's a decent gal."[/QB][/QUOTE]

For the purposes of this poll, those are equal.

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 03-30-2003 02:29:38 AM
quote:
Drysart had this to say about Robocop:
For the purposes of this poll, those are equal.
Suppose so.

I'll forgive you. This time.

Nina
posted 03-30-2003 02:32:56 AM
Popularity contests wheee! Can I have mine too? ^.^
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 03-30-2003 02:34:13 AM
quote:
Tier probably says this to all the girls:
Only if there's an option for me to request your banning, along with everyone else who seems to like the idea!

Drysart
Pancake
posted 03-30-2003 02:34:26 AM
quote:
Tier had this to say about Knight Rider:

Tier...

1: ... who?
2: ...
3: ...should be banned.

Nina
posted 03-30-2003 02:35:04 AM
I vote 2!

[ 03-30-2003: Message edited by: Tier ]

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 03-30-2003 02:41:32 AM
omgs /bandwagon!

;P

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 03-30-2003 02:42:52 AM
You forgot the potato option on Tier's.
Nina
posted 03-30-2003 02:47:05 AM
Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 03-30-2003 03:08:53 AM
I see no "Waffles!" option.

Yet another defective poll.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 03-30-2003 03:20:03 AM
Okay...here's the deal why I always side with Lyinar on things. It's not because she can cut me off from sex (we don't live in the same area code at the moment...not like we're having sex anyway), it's not because I can't formulate my own opinions (if Deth Essays should drill nothing else home in your heads, it should prove that I am capable of formulating long lists of well-elaborated points all by myself), it's not because I love her dearly (we HAVE broken up in the past, after all)...

...It's because I generally think Lyinar is right about stuff. Whenever you have an environment like EC, especially one moderated by fellows (even if they have rules to follow), it's like a swimming pool with lots of people in it. There's going to be some rough-housing, there's going to be the casual swimmers who lurk in the kiddy area. There's going to be people who do cannonballs, and people who'll shoot down the water slide, not looking who they crush at the bottom. And EVEN IF you have lifeguards (the moderators), nothing beats some common sense and people regulating themselves.

Unfortunately, people are very bad at regulating themselves. They tend to give in to the cheap laugh. They tend to value a fast, stinging zing rather than an intelligent laugh. And it is appealing, I won't deny it. I've fired off my share of one-liners in the past. I've stung my share of people, if not here then in IRC. But I'd like to think that there's some regulation in regards to that; I'd like to think that I keep MYSELF regulated.

Unfortunately, around here people don't tend to regulate themselves. And sometimes people can get off on some pretty tasteless tirades about other people. They can get petty and abusive and mean-spirited, but they don't TECHNICALLY violate the rules, and once they blow their proverbial load, so long as they don't keep after the person that same day, no one much cares. Then the person or persons do the same thing day in and day out and the mean level, the average ground state of nastiness, skyrockets.

I don't know about you guys but around here lately it seems some folks had gotten plenty mean. Call it war anxiety. Call it rampaging ids. I've caught myself doing it (Alek Saege has borne the brunt of most of my repeat nasties, but I also got snappish with Azizza and Arttemis over the issue of firearms). So if *I* can do that, all of the rest of the board can do it too. None of us are above it. Doesn't matter if you do it to boost your ego, doesn't matter if you do it because you think it's cool or think there's some awe-inspiring issue that you're defending. Flames get high, and that may be normal and people may never get along completely, but it should burn clean, and then it should stop.

People seem to think I don't fight with Lyinar. Not so. Anyone who's been in #Talera on Sorc.net long enough knows that Lyinar and I can get pretty loud and nasty towards one another when we get irritated. We've had spats over things that looking back are pretty silly (the meaning of the name of the novel/movie "The Two Towers" being one of them). We never really hate each other, but mutual frustration builds up and we vent. We vent white hot at each other, burn it completely down, and then we make up afterwards.

THAT sort of flaming is healthy. The sort you get around here, where people take petty, snide, hurtful comments, use unsubstantiated innuendo about people, etc, hurts. It sews bad feelings. And since it's sometimes funny, the moderators never seem to catch it completely. Note: I'm not saying I disagree with any acts of moderation, nor am I saying that moderators don't work. I was a moderator for a while there and it ain't easy, especially if you want to try and change things to make a difference.

But if my time as a moderator made nothing else clear, it's that someone with the power to blacklist folks and lock threads can't fix everything. Sometimes there has to be someone in the crowd who says "Hey this sucks, change it!"

And I think Lyinar means to be that person. Her opinion isn't always popular, but I'd like to think that deep down most folks can say "Hey, I get what she's trying to say" even if it comes with the tagline, "I don't like how she says it."

Lyinar is, and always has been very forward. She'll call a spade a spade. She'll be stubborn and kick down the door of sweet sweet etiquette and come through cursing up a storm. She might piss you off. She might irritate the hell out of you. But I hope that no one discounts the fact that while she's doing that she also has a point. Nice guys who speak politely around here don't get anywhere. For most of the time I've been at EC, there was no function to alert a moderator to an offensive or hurtful post. It's no fault of Drysart (dude's got a busy life), but the situation breeds a sort of independent justice-keeping.

So that's the upside to Lyinar. She's trying to help. Her methods might not agree with everyone. Might not stroke your egos. You may catch more bees with honey than with vinegar, but you don't have to be saccharine all the time either.

Downside to Lyinar is that she is human. She means well, but sometimes she pushes too hard. Or she might push too far. Or, since the rift between the two IRC's came up, she might not be in the right channel to catch all the minor nuances of someone's personal life, and thus she might hit a sore nerve.

She's VERY protective of her friends. I can think of three friends in particular right now who she's very defensive of, to the point of alienating them or their significant others. That might be a flaw. I think it's just part of who she is. She protects her own. And if you're going to protect someone, then there has to be someone you're protecting them from. So some of you might be the protected, and some of you might be neutral, and some of you might be the people she's trying to protect folks from.

I'm going to try not to brag about Lyinar's record any...but...when Drysart hangs out with the board, and you see him post funny little things in threads, that's cool, right? I remember a time when Drys didn't talk to us so much. That kinda sucked. Lyinar got on him about that. Whether or not she was the cause, she was right. Parcelan went through an extended nasty phase, and Lyinar was nasty about that...and look now. Whether it was her actions or not, more people did catch on...and when people started making a point of it, Parcelan's looking to try and reform his image (which, although I didn't say anything in his thread, I think is a good thing for everyone...can't imagine he was having much fun carrying that much bad mojo around). Lyinar does reach out to the new people, she does encourage the shy underdogs.

She's not, in other words, the source of all that's evil. She doesn't spit fire and brimstone. She doesn't start threads with the sole purpose of attacking others. And in her own way, Lyinar's been trying to reform her own image. She doesn't post as much, and when she does post she tries to be helpful rather than nasty. Sometimes she's still cutting with her comments. It happens. Sometimes when she's hurt by something someone said or did, she reacts in a way most folks would consider poorly. But I think she's still on the firm side of "Benefit" to the boards rather than the "Hindrance" side, or even straddling the line.

Anyway...that's my two cents. That's my big philosophical spiel on the Universal Theory of Lyinar. I think she's great. I think she doesn't do things as long-windedly or as politely as I might, but I also think that she gets better results than I do. Long-ass essays don't seem to change anyone's mind. But I can't remember the last time Lyinar getting nasty about some bad element she perceived didn't set off something that changed the boards for the better, even if for a brief period of time.

In other words...if Evercrest is the pool, we have the pool owner, we've got his lifeguards, but nothing beats having someone who uses the pool keeping people from horsing around dangerously.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 03-30-2003 03:23:33 AM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael was listening to Cher while typing:
She doesn't spit fire and brimstone.
Waitwaitwaitwait-backup

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-30-2003 03:24:44 AM
quote:
From the book of Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael, chapter 3, verse 16:
She doesn't spit fire and brimstone.

Lyinar the burninator?

nem-x
posted 03-30-2003 03:25:07 AM
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 03-30-2003 03:26:21 AM
Well, if Lyinar was ever up for the death penalty that would be quite the closing argument.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 03-30-2003 03:34:02 AM
I don't usually speak in defense of Lyinar herself. Usually I support her stance on things.

Here's the short version for folks too lazy to read:

Lyinar is mortal. Lyinar may offend you. However, I doubt any of you like being harassed because of your legitimate points of view (I ain't talking about some of the wackjobs who brag about warez or whatever), like having your reputation ruined for things that never happened, etc. Lyinar tends to get nasty in regards to those sorts of things, because she doesn't like them either. If you happen to be on the opposite side of an argument with someone, feel free to flame, but burn clean. Don't walk around for months afterward taking little veiled shots at people. If nothing else, that's probably the core of Lyinar's opinion on things.

Lyinar = Goooooood

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 03-30-2003 03:38:21 AM
Lyinar's a pretty good person, but much like me, self-control would be a desirable trait.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 03-30-2003 03:40:27 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Tier said this:

Do you honestly think I would be the subject of any popularity contest around here?

Since it was my comments that sparked Parcelan's poll, I figured it was only fair people had their chance to get their payback on me, too.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

TaLourin
Pancake
posted 03-30-2003 04:22:07 AM
Ok.. I went with Indifferent for a couple reasons.

On the boards, and in IRC, Lyinar and I have had a few... clashes.. For the most part, in those circumstances, refer to her as "That vile, life-sucking, jabbering bitch"

However, at other times in IRC, and in EQ, we get along just fine.

As I havent started anything with her in a long while, I have gotten accustomed to behaving a certain way around her, and have not had a flare up. I haven't called her any of my favorite combinations of words and phrases in a couple months at least..

That would be a good thing.

Moo.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 03-30-2003 04:33:01 AM
I've been Lyinar's friend for pretty much the entire duration of my time on these boards and I hope that we can stay friends in the years to come.

The long and short of Deth's posts pretty much sum up my opinion of her, but I feel I should add my own flavor.

In my time here, I've often gone to Lyinar for advice because she always seemed open and ready to listen to what you had to say, if you took the time to sit down and actually talk it out with her. I won't lie by saying I've believed and followed to heart everything she's said to me because I most certainly haven't. Hell, I've been apathetic and often aggitated by the advice she gave. It was never sugar-coated and often times the exact opposite of what I wanted to hear. That's just how Lyinar is though, 100% honest in how she feels on a subject.

In the end, after much reflection, I've realized that much of the advice she's given, while harsh and often more painful than I would have liked to hear, wasn't given with the intention of wanting to belittle me or anything. It was given because she was trying to look out for me. Why? Because she looks out for the people she considers friends, just like any other person would.

We've most certainly had a rocky friendship at times (especially when our own stubbornesses about certain things collide), marred with mean words and hurt feelings. But whenever we have one of our fights, once our tempers were cooled, we talked things over instead of putting another notch in our personal vendettas against each other. Even if we still disagreed, at least we agreed on that.

I guess whatI'm trying to say ammit all my rambling up there is that while she can seem fierce and abbrasive in her approaches, she still isn't some ogre that will devour your soul if you try to reason with her rationally.

Eh. That's my cents.

I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Hireko
Kill a fish before breakfast each day
posted 03-30-2003 04:36:17 AM
I like Lyinar. I liked her when she first started posting, and RPed with her a bunch in IRC. Then Deth appeared and she had to tell him not to kill me. =)

However, I voted indifferent, because there's a world of difference between liking someone and thinking they're right. I have no idea whether she's right most of the time - I see her get into long arguments with people who don't seem worth the trouble to argue with mostly, and don't really bother to decide whose "right".

I like Lyinar, and I don't feel qualified to make a determination on whether the majority of her interaction is "correct". That seems presumptuous as hell to me.

Those who dance are thought insane by those who can't hear the music.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-30-2003 04:50:59 AM
I like Lyinar too. I voted number 2

I find Lyinar to be a great person, who is always there for her friends, sticks up for them no matter the problem, and treats people with respect, always, unless given a damn good reason not to.

She doesn't sugarcoat advice when you ask for it she tells it like it is, which some people seem to not like...but its better than a friend paying lip service and saying everything is fine and dandy.

She also doesnt lie. Ever. Thats one thing I ask from people. Not to lie. And I always offer the same in return.

She is a great person, who occasionally may go a bit too far. But, we all go a bit too far occasionally.

I need more friends like her

[ 03-30-2003: Message edited by: Falaanla Marr ]

ArchAngel
Not a girl, never will be, no matter how much you may hear differently
posted 03-30-2003 07:35:23 AM
Lyinar knows how I feel about her...

Steals Lyinar's cane and runs off with it

Can't hit me with it if you don't have it!

"What power would hell have if those imprisoned there could not dream of heaven?" -Dream, Sandman
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights, and lock the universe behind me as I leave." -Death, Sandman
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Dream, Sandman
Full sigpic image
Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 03-30-2003 07:44:01 AM
quote:
Hireko FishSlayer had this to say about pies:
However, I voted indifferent, because there's a world of difference between liking someone and thinking they're right. I have no idea whether she's right most of the time - I see her get into long arguments with people who don't seem worth the trouble to argue with mostly, and don't really bother to decide whose "right".

I like Lyinar, and I don't feel qualified to make a determination on whether the majority of her interaction is "correct". That seems presumptuous as hell to me.

Werd

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-30-2003 08:14:15 AM
Damn. . .remind me to be inconspicuous for a while.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Burger
BANNED!
posted 03-30-2003 08:46:41 AM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael wrote, obviously thinking too hard:

People seem to think I don't fight with Lyinar. Not so. Anyone who's been in #Talera on Sorc.net long enough knows that Lyinar and I can get pretty loud and nasty towards one another when we get irritated. We've had spats over things that looking back are pretty silly (the meaning of the name of the novel/movie "The Two Towers" being one of them). We never really hate each other, but mutual frustration builds up and we vent. We vent white hot at each other, burn it completely down, and then we make up afterwards.

Am I the only one that is saddened by deth's inability to have great make-up sex? That good angry kind where you've still got all the aggression towards each other, but you know eachother?

It must really suck, that after a spat between you two that instead of retiring to the boudoir, you join #hawtcybar instead...

(For comic purposes only, I do NOT want to hear about your personal life...)

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Suddar
posted 03-30-2003 10:16:54 AM
quote:
T. E. Bloodsage had this to say about Captain Planet:
Damn. . .remind me to be inconspicuous for a while.

Everybody loves you, though.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: