EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: My thoughts on the game Black & White
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 11-11-2001 08:43:00 PM
Hmm...I bought Black and White and NHL 2002 (and a tech deck Snowboard! w00t) and I have to say, NHL 2002 has taken up the last 5 days of my time, good lord I LOVE it!!

Buuut, Black & White. This is a GREAT concept, but, it is a sucky game IMO.

1) The control is funky and difficult
2) It takes FOREVER for your creature to learn
3) (and the biggest one) There doesn't seem to be anything to do! I just sit around, watching stuff. There's nothing to do! IT'S BORING!

All in All = Great concept, sucky game
It gets a 3 on the OP scale o' games!

NHL 2002 All in All = GREAT GAME! GREAT CONCEPT! GREAT EVERYTHING!
It gets a 10 on the OP scale o' games!

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-11-2001 09:35:00 PM
Wow, glad we see eye to eye on the B&W thing Otaku. I had a HARD time getting into that game.

Its a WONDERFUL idea, but it just doesnt fit well in a computer game.

Murdoc Halfshadow
Was once named Bob
posted 11-11-2001 09:44:00 PM
I've had B&W sitting on my shelves since June. Haven't even installed it yet. I figured it would take a lot of time to play, and I thought that time would be available. But sadly, it wasn't, and my interest waned.

People who enjoy sports games tend not to like the kind of long-term commitment involved in some role-playing games. They like their fun in short bursts, with fast action, and a sense of winning or losing. Black and White is focused in the exact opposite direction. Accomplishments are hard to discern, but when they happen, it's a reward you treasure. It has a degree of realism which a lot of people don't expect, and some don't want, from their video games.

It's amazing what a person can learn by listening, isn't it?

RP CHARACTER
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-11-2001 09:57:00 PM
i like action games, and love RPGs too. *shrug*

To me, though, it gets boring to just sit there and watch something for hours with no visible progress being made.

*shrug*

And it might just be the game, too. Im sure if I gave it the time I would have fun. But when I only have a few hours to play a game, id like to get somethin out of it before I quit, or be able to make visible progress. not just see a creature that might have gotten better at somethin, or whatnot.

Fal

Murdoc Halfshadow
Was once named Bob
posted 11-11-2001 10:15:00 PM
I'm more of a strategy person myself. My reflexes are far too slow for first-person shooters, and the last sports game I liked was NBA Jam. I played Starcraft long after a lot of people forgot about it, took the time for Final Fantasy 7, and when playing Baldur's Gate 2 (which I finally got less than a month ago, played for a week, then set aside because I was spending too much time glued to the computer) I abandoned a full day's work to backtrack so I could do it better. Twice. And I'm only up to chapter 5. If I had time to play Black & White, I would probably enjoy it.
RP CHARACTER
MechaCrash
Pancake
posted 11-11-2001 10:50:00 PM
Black & White is an excellent toy. Unfortunately, it's a rather poor game.

It's lots of fun to depopulate an entire village with fireball and lightning bolts, though. And I also managed to bust up some buildings with giant rocks.

Needless to say, my citadel is blood red and covered with giant spikes...

pLaY 2 kRuSh!
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-11-2001 10:57:00 PM
quote:
Ford Prefect had this to say about Optimus Prime:
I'm more of a strategy person myself. My reflexes are far too slow for first-person shooters, and the last sports game I liked was NBA Jam. I played Starcraft long after a lot of people forgot about it, took the time for Final Fantasy 7, and when playing Baldur's Gate 2 (which I finally got less than a month ago, played for a week, then set aside because I was spending too much time glued to the computer) I abandoned a full day's work to backtrack so I could do it better. Twice. And I'm only up to chapter 5. If I had time to play Black & White, I would probably enjoy it.

Ive beaten BG1 twice, BG2 4 times, and the XPack twice.

They are fun games.

Im not the best at first person shooters, but that isnt all that is "action"

RPGs are more my type of game, though. Mecha said it best: B&W is a excellent toy.
Its like one of those Tamagotchi things I think it would make an EXCELLENT game for a laptop when you are takin a long trip. Just not somethin I wanna sit in my room and do for 8 hours...

though...i did sit on my ass for 25 hours to get jboots in eq, heh

Troodon
Technology Luddite
posted 11-11-2001 11:20:00 PM
Haven't played it, but the description on the box makes this sound much more like a simulation game than a role-playing game. Sure, you're playing the role of a deity, but in Sim City, you play the role of the city's mayor, and nobody would ever call that an RPG. Depends on how loose a definition you use, I guess. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the impression I got from the game is you act as the deity, and try to encourage or discourage your subjects from being more or less productive, reward and punish certain behaviors, etc. Basically it makes your subjects act as a machine, and you pull levers to make the machine do different things. By most people's definition, this would make Black and White a simulation, not an RPG.

Keep in mind I'm not expressing an opinion about the game itself, since I haven't played it, just my opinion of what type of game it seems to be. Sims require even more patience than RPGs in some cases. I'm a fan of Sim games myself, especially the ones Maxis put out, like SimCity, SimEarth, and SomTower. Takes a lot of work to balance out the factors to cause the result you want. If B&W is that type of game, I might get it to try it out.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-12-2001 01:55:00 AM
i didnt see any mention of B&W bein an RPG

*shrug* its not a BAD game. just too damn long to get any bit of a result.

Fal

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 11-12-2001 03:07:00 AM
Damn you all. You made me install it and play it.

I'll say this much about it.

Yes, the game is long. It requires patience, which I have little of. =/

But the game is fun. The creatures are a BLAST. I was very proud of my creature as he caught on to how I was training him very quickly, becoming very good in a short amount of time. They do require quite a bit of attention, I had to smack the shit out of him a couple times for eating a villager. But I'm happy with him thus far, and I haven't left the first island yet.

The villages themselves are nice, I just wish the villagers weren't always so demanding. "WE NEED OFFSPRING! We need food! We need more wood!" Fine, get it yourself, lazy bastards!

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Khyron ]

Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 11-12-2001 05:54:00 AM
quote:
Ford Prefect had this to say about Robocop:
the last sports game I liked was NBA Jam.

I aggree with you their, that game was fun, one of the only 4 sports games I like, nba jam, Mutant legue hocky Megaman Soccer and (forgot name) dodge ball (its realy cool, you play dodge ball and the contestants range from gundamns, to evas, to Ultraman, to giant alains, I had the rom a while back

And I loved black and white, you just need to balance boring with fun, such as throwing rocks at the three sailors, or beating to death builders as they ogf to work on scofolding, just repeatly pick up and drop said scafolding

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Star Collective
Pancake
posted 11-12-2001 07:52:00 AM
Black & White was a reeaaally long game, I only made it to the third island, I just couldn't stand the game after that. I mean sure, my creature had learned all the good miracles(greater healing, food, wood) and he turned all fuzzy and pink and had lil white sparkles trailing off him. He was an angel. My tower/temple thingy was a big tall white spire. But it took a LOT of prayer power, artifacts, and creature help to convert the next village. Personally I don't see any point to the bad miracles, sure you do plenty of collateral damage, and it helps when tearing down enemy creatures and temples, but long before you get to the point where the people believe, you've annihlated(sp?) the entire village. Then you have to send in missionaries, and start all over again. It just takes so much time and energy to get anywhere, and you're always doing the same thing. It was fun at first but it quickly degenerates into a cycle of convert, rinse, repeat, with an occasional creature or evil deity attack to make it interesting.
The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. - Ursula K. LeGuin ~ The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas
Troodon
Technology Luddite
posted 11-12-2001 01:14:00 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
i didnt see any mention of B&W bein an RPG

You didn't? Well I did. Maybe I misinterpreted this, but:

quote:
Ford Prefect had this to say about Pirotess:
People who enjoy sports games tend not to like the kind of long-term commitment involved in some role-playing games. They like their fun in short bursts, with fast action, and a sense of winning or losing. Black and White is focused in the exact opposite direction.

Maybe he didn't directly state that B&W was an RPG, but he kind of implied it. Maybe I just took it out of context.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Troodon ]

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-12-2001 01:32:00 PM
Personally, I liked some of the interesting tie-ins, like having the weather in game mirror the real weather at your house, and having the villagers named after your contact list in Outlook. I could never get them to notify me when new mail arrived, though.

Although those were pretty damn cool, the game got tedious way too quickly. /sigh

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 11-12-2001 01:43:00 PM
Yeah, it was just too tedious for me...

But, my favourite games are the ones I can jump into, play for like, 15-20-30 minutes and have a total blast (NHL 2002, Half-Life mods)

I don't really see A LOT of fun in games that require extreme amounts of attention.

Just played a new game too, Max Payne!

This game was pretty darn fun! But, it needs a First Person mode!

All in All = GREAT Concept, GOOD Game
It gets a 7 on the OP scale of games!

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Arimae
Pancake
posted 11-12-2001 01:47:00 PM
I got frustrated with it because the controls are so wacky and EVERY TIME you start over you have "learn" how to use them again. Plus my attention span is too short for such a tedious game. I read about it and thought it sounded cool, but hell it's a game not a homework asignment (it felt like the latter)
In the beginning, there were figs.

Bunnies aren't cute like everybody suposes. The got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses. And what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eye sight for any way? Bunnies, Bunnies, it must be Bunnies!! -anya

MechaCrash
Pancake
posted 11-12-2001 04:31:00 PM
quote:
Khyron had this to say about Optimus Prime:
themselves are nice, I just wish the villagers weren't always so demanding. "WE NEED OFFSPRING! We need food! We need more wood!" Fine, get it yourself, lazy bastards!

And that is why I eventually got sick of the game and gave it up before I pitched my monitor out the window. Those damn whiny needy little ingrate shits. I showed 'em who's boss by snatching up their firstborn and sacrificing it, then using the prayer power I got to drop a fireball on their house and pitching random people out to sea, and while they're wailing for mercy and crying at the tragedy and wondering how they can stem the tide of my holy wrath raining down from the heavens, I drop a rock on them and pick of the survivors with lightning bolts and feed the corpses to my giant man-eating Death Cow.

I usually don't get very many complaints after that.

pLaY 2 kRuSh!
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 11-12-2001 05:24:00 PM
Thus MechaCrash describes how to be a very, very, very, very evil god.
Reyolen
Wanders too much for a custom title
posted 11-12-2001 05:28:00 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Reading Rainbow:

To me, though, it gets boring to just sit there and watch something for hours with no visible progress being made.

*shrug*

And it might just be the game, too. Im sure if I gave it the time I would have fun. But when I only have a few hours to play a game, id like to get somethin out of it before I quit, or be able to make visible progress. not just see a creature that might have gotten better at somethin, or whatnot.

Fal

I was ALWAYS doing something when I played it. Once there were rival gods, you have to try to take their cities AND take care of your own. I had too many people praying, but I needed the POWER, so I spent most of my time feeding them and I kept running out of forest, and ack. I don't play it much anymore.
Star Collective
Pancake
posted 11-12-2001 05:41:00 PM
Hehe resources weren't much of a problem for me, but people always wanted more housing! I was literally choking my workshops with wood in an effort to satisfy the little buggers, and what do they do? They multiply, fill those houses, and whine for more! And once you get a certain distance from your town center, the houses are limited to small sizes, combine that with fending off deities and their creatures and training my own, it was a nightmare. What that game needs is a steward function where you can select certain people, and set them to organizing mundane matters like housing, while you take care of the important stuff! I would be sitting around trying to place scaffolding to best advantage or casting a healing miracle on my people to keep faith up, and a deity or his creature would be tearing up another village while I was busy!
The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. - Ursula K. LeGuin ~ The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-12-2001 06:02:00 PM
Maybe ill load it up again just to be an evil bastard and kill everyone.

Fal

Star Collective
Pancake
posted 11-12-2001 06:04:00 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Cuba:
Maybe ill load it up again just to be an evil bastard and kill everyone.

Fal

Bah, that game takes almost as much effort to be evil as it does to be good.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Star Collective ]

LordVladdDracul

posted 11-12-2001 09:30:00 PM
My thoughts on Black and White: It sucks.
I plot revenge on you as we speak...

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: