EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Mara D&D game!
Maradon!
posted 10-26-2004 02:44:01 AM
I've had this idea for a really great D&D campaign, and I've been just salivating over the idea of DM'ing it that I've decided to scrape together some rulebooks and actually try to host it. I'm confident that I know enough to at least start trying to put things together, but I won't know what I don't know until I try.

First though, I need players. I already have at least one (1) person interested. I'd like to have as many as five total, depending on interest.

If you're intrested, mail me a character sheet and availability estimates at maradon(at)gmail.com (these boards ain't private anymore ya know)

A few details;

• The rule set is going to be "3.x Maradon Special Ed."

• For characters, I'd like to encourage thinking outside the source books. Feel free to design your own deity, domains, or whatever, even your own prestige class. I'll work with you if you want to get creative, so long as it fits into a dragonlance-esque world (I haven't worked out the details of the world yet, but that's what I'll be working on when I do). If you're going to try and abuse this to be a munchkin, don't even bother cluttering my mailbox with your sheet.

• The game will take place in that one funky IRC GUI that we used for Fae's game that was cool. If anyone has a link to that program, please pm it to me The game will probably take place on saturday and sunday, around 10:00pm EST (GMT -05:00) but I could go on weekdays after 9:00 as well.

• Blue girl cum will not be involved unless it is produced by the PC's at some point.

• If there are any suggestions you can make on how not to be a shitty GM or prep a good campaign, feel free to post them here.
  • Delphi Aegis
    Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
    posted 10-26-2004 02:47:35 AM
    Plan for everything while DMing.. You may not WANT your players to go off the path in the jungle after all the warnings your NPCs gave them, but they inevitably will... at a +20 if you didn't make up shit that was IN the jungle.

Always always always plan ahead and you should be okay.

Demos
    Pancake
    posted 10-26-2004 02:51:32 AM
    Would it be more story or combat oriented?
    "Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
    Maradon!
    posted 10-26-2004 03:03:26 AM
    quote:
    So quoth Delphi Aegis:
    Plan for everything while DMing.. You may not WANT your players to go off the path in the jungle after all the warnings your NPCs gave them, but they inevitably will...

I will plan for nothing. Only then, can you be prepared for everything.

A plan is just a list of things that don't happen.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 10-26-2004 at 03:03 AM.

Maradon!
    posted 10-26-2004 03:04:10 AM
    quote:
    Demos impressed everyone with:
    Would it be more story or combat oriented?

Yes.

Damnati
    Filthy
    posted 10-26-2004 03:18:10 AM
    Have a goal in mind and some loose waypoints and contingencies for how to get there. Not a plan, per se, you're right on that being a list of things that don't happen, but something to provide a general direction. I've been player and GM in a couple different campaigns that fell apart due to this lack.
    Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Hostile Makeover
    Evil as chocolate covered thistles
    posted 10-26-2004 04:27:06 AM
    `Doc
    Cold in an Alley
    posted 10-26-2004 08:41:04 AM
    No matter how little you think you need prepared, have an area map. This could be a city, a country, a continent, or an entire world, depending on how far you expect your PCs to range (or will let them range). I have a general world map ready, and have revealed only a small (country-sized) area to the players. Put as much detail on your starting map as an in-world mapmaker would put on his or her own maps.

If you're going to have combat frequently, prepare some combat maps. If you run combat only once every few sessions, you can prepare a combat map between sessions, or a small and simple combat map on the fly.

Are you starting the campaign at level one, or a higher level, or varying depending on scenario? Starting at level 1 is better for roleplay, because it gives them a chance to develop their characters' personalities before their talents really start to matter. With higher-level characters, you can start them out on that great and wondrous adventure into the unknown, without them having to constantly fear instant death around every corner. Higher starting levels give the characters more of a chance to stand out early on. If you offer a range (such as level 1-3, depending on how much you like the character concept), it allows the players some creative liberty, but you'll have to compensate for the differences in their abilities.

How much background information do you want submitted? Do you just want the character sheets? Do you want 1-2 paragraphs summarizing a character's past? Do you want a complete backstory? This is probably the most important question to answer.

With a schedule that rigorous, you might have trouble getting a reliable group of players. Everyone has schedules they need to work around. I suggest planning on one session per week. That's just a suggestion though, if you think you can handle 2+ sessions per week, it's your call.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
    There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
    I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
    Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
    Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Maradon!
    posted 10-26-2004 09:20:56 AM
    Whoa I totally forgot!

Starting level is 5! Not 1!

Maradon!
    posted 10-26-2004 09:25:20 AM
    For now I just want character sheets, and a little concept info if you choose to do your own thing.

And it's not a rigorous schedule I'm just listing possible times.

Bajah
    Thooooooor
    posted 10-26-2004 09:37:33 AM
    As a fledgling DM, it's best to have your characters start at level 1, so that their abilities are at a minimum and it gives you a chance to watch them grow. Starting at level 5 means they're already established adventurers and have a wealth of things you don't know anything about.

If you're starting at post-1, then you need to assign starting money so that they can build up their characters (and you would be surprised how much crap a person can accumulate in levels 1-5 in real-time adventuring).

Also, I think it's a mistake to let everyone come up with their own shit. As a DM, you need to establish complete control over the pantheon, landscape, rules, layouts, everything. You don't want your players to know more about your gaming environment than you do.

Maradon!
    posted 10-26-2004 09:57:47 AM
    quote:
    We were all impressed when Bajah wrote:
    If you're starting at post-1, then you need to assign starting money so that they can build up their characters (and you would be surprised how much crap a person can accumulate in levels 1-5 in real-time adventuring).

The last D&D game I played we started at level 9. I know what's involved in creating a <1 lvl character. Fact of the matter is that the campaign I have in mind simply wouldn't suit level 1 characters.

quote:
    Also, I think it's a mistake to let everyone come up with their own shit. As a DM, you need to establish complete control over the pantheon, landscape, rules, layouts, everything.

Oh I am. I'm just saying the characters in my campaign can choose to worship whatever gods they can imagine. They ramifications of their decision may not be all they expected is all.

Y.O.T.C
    No longer a Towel Girl
    posted 10-26-2004 11:10:33 AM
    quote:
    Maradon! had this to say about Tron:

I'll work with you if you want to get creative, so long as it fits into a dragonlance-esque world

• Blue girl cum will not be involved unless it is produced by the PC's at some point.

• If there are any suggestions you can make on how not to be a shitty GM or prep a good campaign, feel free to post them here.

• 1.I'm not very dragonlance-esque oriented, but im guessing "guy with big sword" would be ok.

2. I totaly fucking missed something there. All I can say is Dangerous vaults! NSFW

3. advice? http://www.roleplayingtips.com/index.php subscribe, read, follow. If you need the archives i have all of them in a zip file filled with 230+ txt documents.

Jania Arindelil
    Is really cute and cuddly... just needs a hug
    posted 10-26-2004 01:38:25 PM
    If you haven't GM'd before, you may want to consider some limitations on races and class combinations at least. There are some funky races out there, especially if you have acccess to Mythic Races (or whatever that one is, don't have it in front of me) and Savage Species, etc. So determine if you're going to allow just the PHB, or if you're going to allow just the PHB and Manual of the Planes, or just PHB and Savage Species, etc.

I can tell you from experience that if you get too kooky, you'll run into experience problems. Genasi, for example, gain experience slower than some other races, and you have to use a totally different chart to total up their experience gain. Adam ran into that problem with my genasi wizard in his first and second High Seas games. So that's one thing to consider. For all the unusual races that you allow, you have to figure in penalties and bonuses like that, and you'll probably have to keep separate experience charts. You might find some players falling behind others and if they don't have something keeping that edge (my char was aasimar we found out, part of the story) then it may become not as fun for that person if they can't participate or at leat do much when you bring out higher CR monsters.

Jania Arindelil
    Dragon Guardian, Grandmaster Archer
    Very Cranky Person
    "I'll torture you so slowly, you'll think it's a career." - Darwin Mayflower
    `Doc
    Cold in an Alley
    posted 10-26-2004 02:08:12 PM
    There have been some pretty good discussions in the past about advice for GMs. I've managed to keep track of a few of them.
    Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
    There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
    I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
    Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
    Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

`Doc
    Cold in an Alley
    posted 10-26-2004 03:56:56 PM
    I have a few questions on spells.
  • Are you using spells from both the 3.0 and 3.5 PHB? If not, which one are you using? If so, are there any spells you plan to leave out?
  • What's your perspective on spell components? Some GMs don't like to bother with them, while others make a point of it. Do you plan to enforce their use strictly (everyone needs a spell component pouch that needs to be refilled after X castings of Y spell), loosely (you need to have the pouch to cast, but it's taken for granted that it contains all components without marked GP values), only on spells with high-cost components (like giving the Eschew Materials feat for free), or not at all (breaks game balance for some spells, I don't reccommend it)?
  • Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer

Alaan
    posted 10-26-2004 03:57:38 PM
    Something for IRC players here. Be prepared for your next combat round as soon as possible. I understand some changes may occur right before it gets to you, but combat is by far the worst part of IRC D&D I think. It takes horendous amounts of time if you wait for your turn to think about your action.
    Maradon!
    posted 10-26-2004 04:05:22 PM
    quote:
    `Doc impressed everyone with:
    I have a few questions on spells.
  • Are you using spells from both the 3.0 and 3.5 PHB? If not, which one are you using? If so, are there any spells you plan to leave out?
  • What's your perspective on spell components? Some GMs don't like to bother with them, while others make a point of it. Do you plan to enforce their use strictly (everyone needs a spell component pouch that needs to be refilled after X castings of Y spell), loosely (you need to have the pouch to cast, but it's taken for granted that it contains all components without marked GP values), only on spells with high-cost components (like giving the Eschew Materials feat for free), or not at all (breaks game balance for some spells, I don't reccommend it)?

• Mainly 3.5 with approved concessions

• I hate components, but I recognize their importance. Basically, you need your pouch and you can lose it. Marked cost components must be purchased and refilled, however, I will allow certain items to serve as a "focus" or a reagent replacement without being a hugely expensive item, so long as you don't try to carry too many such items. For example, an ornimental skull that replaces the need for an onyx for undead creation.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 10-26-2004 at 04:06 PM.

• Maradon!
    posted 10-26-2004 04:14:54 PM
    Another thing I forgot; the party is mainly neutral/good.

The sort of folks who would help an innocent besieged town, but wouldn't refuse the help of the occasional evil cleric.

Taylen
    Pancake
    posted 10-26-2004 07:42:08 PM
    Hmm dragonlance-esqe sounds fun. I always liked that setting (almost as much as the forgotten realms ones). Kender and Tinker gnomes are the best.
    "When correctly viewed, everything is lewd." - Tom Lehrer.
    Sadomasochism: It's Fun!
    Taylen Ashenbow
    Rangers never run we mearly stratigically retreat.
    Thats not a train thats a pull, my trains are always much bigger.
    Nicole
    The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
    posted 10-26-2004 10:32:03 PM
    quote:
    Maradon! wrote this stupid crap:
    Another thing I forgot; the party is mainly neutral/good.

The sort of folks who would help an innocent besieged town, but wouldn't refuse the help of the occasional evil cleric.

Well, there goes half my character concepts. I tend to play in the lawful evil area, well, either that or the something-else-that-slowly-becomes-lawful-evil area.

Aaaactually... if this is still going on post-November (my entire November is Nanowrimo month D: ), lob a PM at me. I haven't played D&D in forever and might like to just observe/NPC something.

*ponder ponder*

I just spent
    my last cent
    purchasing this poverty.

Alaan
    posted 10-26-2004 10:35:20 PM
    The Gnome Cleric is in the house. *flashes complex gnome gang signs with some illusion thrown in*
    Densetsu
    NOT DRYSART
    posted 10-27-2004 01:10:32 PM
    quote:
    So quoth Maradon!:

If there are any suggestions you can make on how not to be a shitty GM or prep a good campaign, feel free to post them here.

Read the DMG. Cover-to-cover. If that's too much reading, then read chapters 1-5 at LEAST. I'm not trying to be condescending. I'm being serious. When I started DMing, I never had the time to just sit down and read the DMG. I only used it to reference things when needed. This last week when I visited my grandparents, I took the DMG with me and decided to read it from the beginning in my spare time. Entire WORLDS opened to me. I got tons of new inspiration, as well as learned rules I had no idea even existed.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
    Maradon!
    posted 10-27-2004 01:28:31 PM
    quote:
    There was much rejoicing when Nicole said this:
    Well, there goes half my character concepts. I tend to play in the lawful evil area, well, either that or the something-else-that-slowly-becomes-lawful-evil area.

Moderately evil people are welcome.

If you'd delight in ripping up a whole crowd of innocent people, no dice, but if you're just quick and remorseless about sticking a knife in an innocent man who stands in your way, that's fine.

Y.O.T.C
    No longer a Towel Girl
    posted 10-27-2004 02:08:58 PM
    quote:
    Maradon!'s account was hax0red to write:

If you'd delight in ripping up a whole crowd of innocent people, no dice, but if you're just quick and remorseless about sticking a knife in an innocent man who stands in your way, that's fine.

Reasons im chaotic neutral.

heh, knife... silly melee weapons..

Ares
    posted 10-27-2004 02:10:44 PM
    I'd like to play.... But I have no idea how.. ._. Or even where to begin.
    Elvish Crack Piper
    Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
    posted 10-27-2004 02:20:43 PM
    za ftp.

download the players handbook.

Read

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
    Y.O.T.C
    No longer a Towel Girl
    posted 10-27-2004 02:24:27 PM
    ecp beat me too it =(

oh well. doc needs to get around to finishing his work with the mm2.. or 3, i forget which.

`Doc
    Cold in an Alley
    posted 10-27-2004 04:55:13 PM
    quote:
    When they turned on the Infinite Improbability Drive, Ares stammered,
    I'd like to play....
    quote:
    But I have no idea how.. ._.
    See what ECP said.
    quote:
    Or even where to begin.
    Sit in on someone else's gaming sessions. Several people here run IRC games, and each group has its own style.

Nicole
    The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
    posted 10-27-2004 10:32:46 PM
    quote:
    A sleep deprived Maradon! stammered:

Thinking more tactically evil person who cadjoles her way up governments on empty promises and exploited dreams only to turn around and opress like a mothafacka.

But, as said, November = Nicole is deaded.

I just spent
    my last cent
    purchasing this poverty.

Jania Arindelil
    posted 10-27-2004 10:35:30 PM
    quote:
    `Doc had this to say about pies:
    Sit in on someone else's gaming sessions. Several people here run IRC games, and each group has its own style.

If you decide to do that, Ares, send me a PM. I can tell you how you can be an audience to Deth's Sunday IRC games over on magic.

Jania Arindelil
    Very Cranky Person
    Jania Arindelil
    posted 10-27-2004 10:36:24 PM
    Oh good lord, just change that goddamned filter already.

It's the Sorc.ery Net network, Ares, and if you don't know how to get there I can give you servers, our channel, etc.

Jania Arindelil
    Very Cranky Person
    Y.O.T.C
    No longer a Towel Girl
    posted 10-27-2004 11:15:03 PM
    Kats game is this friday at 7 eastern, it's a lesson on how, when a dm is fairly mad at your party, to try and survive evil encounter after evil encounter.
    `Doc
    Cold in an Alley
    posted 10-28-2004 09:39:20 AM
    Important question! People making character sheets will need to know.

What is your policy on ability scores? (STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA)

• 3d6
  • 3d6 + #
  • 4d6 tt3
  • 1d20
  • Average score #
  • Point buy #
  • Make shit up
  • Assigned scores for distribution
  • Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer

Maradon!
    posted 10-28-2004 09:49:57 AM
    Ability scores will be 3d6 roll with DM fudging.

Roll your own, honor system. If you're unreasonably high I'll nerf your ass anyway. I may also decide that you're too weak and up your stats.

I'm of the school of thought that adventurers should be a cut above your average joe schmoe so I'd like it if everyone had at least one 16+ stat.

Y.O.T.C
    No longer a Towel Girl
    posted 10-28-2004 11:25:53 AM
    meh, go with 18 17 15 14 12 10, always a good choice.
    Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
    I posted in a title changing thread.
    posted 10-28-2004 12:24:00 PM
    New GM Error #1: Being so jazzed to run that you let your players (often more experienced at character creation than you are at running a game) have carte blanche in creating their characters.
    Comments and Solutions: Running a game ain't easy. Take the amount of work it takes to run a single character well, multiply it by five, then multiply the result by the number of players, and double it. Why? Not only are you running the world (which is not like running a character, but bigger), but if they have any questions or requests or complaints they'll come to you and you'll try to be cool and will probably make workarounds that seem good at the time but turn out to be DEATH in the long run.
    Reduce the variables. Go 3.0 or 3.5. Why? Because 3.5 fixed a lot of the balance issues in the game. A 3.0 Ranger is a lot more spankage than the 3.5's elegant balance. Spells were modified for a REASON. The mechanics are important. Describe the effect however you like, but damn it(!) leave the mechanics ALONE.
    Elegance = Simplicity. It's very tempting to let anyone play any sort of critter they like, but it bites you in the ass in the long run. For instance:
    A level one halfling fighter is CR1 and uses the standard XP chart.
    A level one half-celestial halfling fighter is CR3 and uses the standard XP chart.
    A level one aasimar is CR2 and uses the Planetouched XP chart from the Forgotten Realms book.

If you DON'T use the altered XP rates, then the people who DO play standard races are getting gypped, and all your protestations of "oh well half-dragon gnolls won't be well thought of in The City" will mean exactly DICK because the creature who has a CR of 4 naturally will gain levels like eeeeeveryone else and be much sturdier to boot.

Don't make that mistake. I did, and it was a living hell to calculate XP and I ended up fudging it for the sake of my sanity. Don't fuck up where I did.

New GM Error #2: Lack of attention to detail
    Comments and Solutions:
    Now you may have a ten page preparatory paper set up for folks fixing to play your game. I don't know. But this is where all those civics and history classes you slept through in high school come into play. Why? City-states have an economic balance with other City-states. Factions within the government give and take and form the tapestry of the city. Where does the home base city's wealth originate? New York, for instance, doesn't actually PRODUCE much. It's a hub of information, immigration, and processing. And it STILL has internal politics.

You don't have to roleplay that stuff out, but if you don't know it well enough to rattle off a cunning explanation on the fly, your home base city will be two dimensional. You can get around it by either moving the party around enough that short explanations will do, or you'll need one extremely well explained location that you can relate all other places to. Do NOT skimp on this. If I say "Hey Indianapolis" to you, you likely have only a vague idea of what it's like to live here. If I give you a pamphlet of pertinent information, you're much better prepared.

For the love of god, do something with the gods. There's only one city in the core D&D universe that is equally welcoming (or perhaps unwelcoming) to ALL deities, and that's the City of Doors, Sigil, which is like NOT a prime material plane, which DOES in fact sit at the top of the spire at the center of all creation and is ruled by the biggest enigma on the planes. It's full of planars, primes, petitioners, demons, devils, celestials of all sorts, and members of far weirder races, not to mention the embodied spirits of dead people. If you don't plan on your city running like that, get to work. You need explanations why a city could support followers of Siva and followers of the Morrigan right up the street from one another.

I advise getting your hands on Men At Arms by Terry Pratchett, for a view of a city (Ankh-Morpork) that deals with the typical ill-explained fantasy cliches in a fantastically realistic sort of way. It has a police force with dwarves and trolls on it. Trust me, it'll help.

That's it to start. If I come off as obnoxious or overbearing, sorry. Them's the breaks.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
    "All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
    *Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Maradon!
    posted 10-28-2004 12:37:01 PM
    1) I'm not letting the players go hog wild with everything. I'm allowing a lot of leeway on what they're allowed to choose from, but I'm very strict on the cheese. I am going to base this off 3.5, I'm only going to make small adjustments to certain things I disagree with - the nature (not mechanics) of certain spells, reagents, etc.

2) I don't know how you know I don't have a lot of detail in mind, since I haven't said anything about the world yet. I thank you for the advice, though.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 10-28-2004 at 12:40 PM.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
    I posted in a title changing thread.
    posted 10-28-2004 12:51:57 PM
    quote:
    Maradon! had this to say about Knight Rider:
    1) I'm not letting the players go hog wild with everything. I'm allowing a lot of leeway on what they're allowed to choose from, but I'm very strict on the cheese. I am going to base this off 3.5, I'm only going to make small adjustments to certain things I disagree with - the nature (not mechanics) of certain spells, reagents, etc.

2) I don't know how you know I don't have a lot of detail in mind, since I haven't said anything about the world yet. I thank you for the advice, though.

Oh. That's okay then

Rule number 1 of "Experienced GM's" is to make an ass of ourselves offering obnoxious advice. Ask Doc.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
    "All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
    *Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Maradon!
    posted 10-28-2004 12:59:41 PM
    I wasn't being sarcastic when I thanked you for the advice. Things like economics hadn't really occurred to me
    All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: