EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Call for Adventurers!
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 01-15-2004 11:46:36 AM
Well, I think I'm going to finally try to get my DnD game off the ground, after a failed messageboard attempt (damn players' short attention spans).

The game is using the 3.0 Edition DnD Rules and I'll be running it over IRC (with a dicebot, etc). Right now, I'll looking to run it Friday nights weekly, though that may change occasionally to Saturday or Sunday nights, depending on availability of everyone.

I'll looking for 5 to 6 players who wish to join in. Experence doesn't really matter, though familiarity with the rules helps alot. This will be my first time DMing, so there will be bumps in the road and hiccups along the way.

The campaign I'm running takes place in the Forgotten Realms setting, in particular in the nations of the Unapproachable East (Thesk, Rasheman, Thay). Its of my own design, based around a idea I had for an Open Author Call of the next book from FR called "The Maiden of Pain", which the campaign takes its name from as well.

So, if you want to join, make your want known here or PM me and include a character concept. The Character Creation thread with guidelines is over in the DnD Forum, here, to give you an idea of what you can make.

Thanks to those who heed the call!

[ 01-15-2004: Message edited by: Katrinity ]

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Maradon!
posted 01-15-2004 12:19:48 PM
I have very little D&D experience, but the few times I've played with Fae's group it's been very fun.

I'd definatly like to join in

Maradon!
posted 01-15-2004 12:25:20 PM
Oh, yeah, I have no books or anything needed
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 01-15-2004 12:26:59 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about (_|_):
Oh, yeah, I have no books or anything needed

Thats not really problem considering all the basic stuff is over on Khyron's FTP in pdf format if you need to look over it.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 01-15-2004 01:27:10 PM
Quick tip for chat-based campaigns:

Have a brief description prepared for everywhere players can go, unless a generic description will work (which is rare). Anything from 1-2 sentences, to 1-2 paragraphs, typically suffices. You may need to supply additional information at the players' request, but that can usually be made on the fly.

With NPC characters, describe height, build (not weight), hair & eyes, outfit, distinguishing marks (if any), and general demeanor (one sentence) for anyone who stands out. At an inn, for example, the innkeeper stands out, as will the barmaid if one is present, but most of the patrons won't.

Oh, and here's one I learned from other GMs (Ja'Deth & Ozius):

Have a quick-command line (quickline) for when you need your players to slow down. Ozius had a line that looked like this:
==============< PAUSE FREEZE SHADDAP >==============
If your players get ahead of you while you're writing a description, or if they just type too fast for your NPCs to keep up, hit them with your quickline, and they'll wait for whatever you're doing.

I'll submit a character when I can. Don't save me a special spot or anything if you'd rather have someone else. But I am interested.

[ 01-15-2004: Message edited by: Ford Prefect ]

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 01-15-2004 01:47:29 PM
I had a dream where I was playing single player D&D, referring to the "DM" every so often to make sure I was doing stuff right. It was odd.

Anyway.. If you want to torture players, look for a module made back in the 70's named Castle Amber. Everybody in the party died at least once going through that place...

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 01-15-2004 01:54:30 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis obviously shouldn't have said:
I had a dream where I was playing single player D&D, referring to the "DM" every so often to make sure I was doing stuff right. It was odd.

Anyway.. If you want to torture players, look for a module made back in the 70's named Castle Amber. Everybody in the party died at least once going through that place...

Ooh, my game is going to have plenty of nasty surprises/encounters for the players.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 01-15-2004 01:59:38 PM
I'd offer to play, but I'd surely drive you insane. ^_^
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 01-15-2004 02:01:43 PM
I'd offer to play, but I have no experience suck.

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 01-15-2004 02:31:38 PM
Eerily enough this thread has made me want to play in a Mage campaign.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Taylen
Pancake
posted 01-15-2004 03:04:44 PM
I would probably be interested in playing, have to try and think up a good character first though.
"When correctly viewed, everything is lewd." - Tom Lehrer.
Sadomasochism: It's Fun!
Taylen Ashenbow
Rangers never run we mearly stratigically retreat.
Thats not a train thats a pull, my trains are always much bigger.
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 01-15-2004 03:17:04 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about Cuba:

2nd ed temple of elemental evil... end of all existance. The 3rd time my group ran it I had the least deaths with 3...

OH and im all for D&Ding give me a bit to think of one. *must not make Minsc rip off*

[ 01-15-2004: Message edited by: Hello Cuthy ]

Cherveny
Papaya
posted 01-15-2004 03:20:19 PM
quote:
This one time, at Hello Cuthy camp:
2nd ed temple of elemental evil... end of all existance. The 3rd time my group ran it I had the least deaths with 3...

OH and im all for D&Ding give me a bit to think of one. *must not make Minsc rip off*

Heh, best way of being evil to your players is use dopplegangers. If a player gets seperated, and killed by a doppleganger, then have the player play the doppleganger.

Gets nice and fun when you have a party that thinks they are all working together, but secretly has one member killing off/sabotaging the others.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-15-2004 03:35:26 PM
quote:
Cherveny stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Heh, best way of being evil to your players is use dopplegangers. If a player gets seperated, and killed by a doppleganger, then have the player play the doppleganger.

Gets nice and fun when you have a party that thinks they are all working together, but secretly has one member killing off/sabotaging the others.

In a similar but totally different vein, I once played a neutral-evil character in a group of good-aligned characters. It was fun subtly twisting whatever they tried to do.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Cherveny
Papaya
posted 01-15-2004 03:54:38 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about (_|_):
In a similar but totally different vein, I once played a neutral-evil character in a group of good-aligned characters. It was fun subtly twisting whatever they tried to do.

Heh, been in that kind of situation too.

Had a token righteous Paladin, mixed in with mostly chaotics once.

While the Paladin was trying to do the right thing, talking with the innocent villagers, etc...
1) The two theives would take off and steal anything that wasn't nailed down, usually getting in trouble about 5 minutes after they start, and needing our help

2) The chaotic Cleric, who worshiped the goddess of jokes, humor, and merriment, would be playing practical jokes on as many people as possible, or getting as drunk as possible, usually also needed help quite soon after

3) The neutral/chaotic fighters and druid would then demand loyalty and obedience to their merest whim. If anyone, ANYONE in the town annoyed them in even the slightest way, the town usually endded up being leveled by lightning bolts of the druid, and the peasantry being slaughtered by the fighters.

For some reason, after a while, not many people in the world would want to talk with us, with city gates bared at the mention of us travelling through the area.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 01-15-2004 04:26:10 PM
I'll be picking players tomorrow (afternoon most likely) from all those who ask to play. For that selection I need a basic character concept with race, class, alittle about what niche/personality they will be fullfilling (the shy mage who hasn't been out of the books for a while, or the big lug of a barbarian who doesn't use his brain much and drinks too oft, etc).

For anyone who asks to join and I don't pick for whatever reason, please don't get angry or resentful. I was expecting to barely get enough to play, now I have surplus! If I don't pick you its nothing personal, and I will keep you on a backup list if someone drops due to time constraints or if someone dies off due to stupidity. (you know it will happen at some point )

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 01-15-2004 04:27:36 PM
quote:
Black had this to say about Optimus Prime:

[edit: Holy crap! Hold that thought! I might go build a sorceror

Kat! I can't make a char tonight (brit time) but I'll make one tomorrow and submit it!]

[edit2: where on the FTP are the DnD player's handbooks?]

[ 01-15-2004: Message edited by: Niklas ]

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 01-15-2004 04:32:05 PM
quote:
Ford Prefect got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Quick tip for chat-based campaigns:

Have a quick-command line (quickline) for when you need your players to slow down.

Deth usually goes "Cinematic Time" and we all know that's when we need to shut up cause a big description is coming.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 01-15-2004 04:32:37 PM
Oooh. Count me in too, Kat.
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Alaan
posted 01-15-2004 04:36:07 PM
Quick rule question I'm not sure of offhand. I'm going to submit a dual axe wielding Dwarf. Main hand will have Dwarven War Axe and secondary would be a throwing axe. If You make your melee attacks with the War Axe first, can you use the throwing axe's attack for a ranged attack? If not I'll just go with a Dwarven Urgrosh.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 01-15-2004 04:38:38 PM
I use special terms (as Lyinar said it's usually "Cinematic Time" or something similar) when the heroes have done something major that needs more description than "you guys set off the big bada-boom. Okay moving right along..." Certain actions the party involves themselves with or causes require in all fairness a major description to make the point that they did something major all the more poignant. Killing kobolds or whatever doesn't require the sort of description you give to, say, destroying one of the enemy's major superweapons. You spend more time, in other words, describing escaping the exploding Death Star than you do in describing how the Stormtroopers look when you shoot them.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 01-15-2004 04:48:04 PM
quote:
Niklas had this to say about Robocop:
[edit: Holy crap! Hold that thought! I might go build a sorceror

Kat! I can't make a char tonight (brit time) but I'll make one tomorrow and submit it!]

[edit2: where on the FTP are the DnD player's handbooks?]

Under the Upload folder, Drakkenmaw's DnD Stuff folder, then it has DM Folder, Oriental Adventure Folder, and Player Folder. Make sure you get the right upload of a pdf. Most of them are failed uploads which there is a text file in there that says which failed.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 01-15-2004 05:14:40 PM
quote:
Black had this to say about Optimus Prime:

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 01-15-2004 05:24:31 PM
The PHB is also in \Uploads\D&D Stuff\Player's_Handbook_(WotC)_1.pdf
After several failed uploads (mainly due to file size), he asked me to do it for him.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Alaan
posted 01-15-2004 05:33:08 PM
On a related note, anyone that is printing out their own char sheets should probably use the 3.5 sheets. A few skills might be off due the the name changing and/or squishing in 3.5, but on the whole a better sheet.
Burger
BANNED!
posted 01-15-2004 05:36:29 PM
oooh, I haven't played DnD since grade school, and haven't role-played since about two years ago. But I really, really want to.

Any idea what TIME on friday you're planning on having it? because that's really the controlling factor for me.

If I can play, I'd like to play the young son of a poor farmer. Late adolescense, just starting to get a hunger to see the world. Apprentices at the blacksmith's shop a couple times a week (pump the bellows and play with the scrap). I can hunt with a bow, cut wood with an axe, butcher my prize, bandage a wound, forage for this or that, and tend to animals and a farm. I get tired of the rather mundane life of a farmer's son and the monotonous chores, so I tell my parents I love them, and leave to go see the world with the clothes on my back, a few little odds and ends, and a grin on my face. Just happy to be away from home.

(human adventurer/peasant, fairly average stats hopefully (10-12 for all), and no real specialized skills, but a good spread of things I can do. Just an average 17 year old who wants to get away from his parents for a while)

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 01-15-2004 05:51:20 PM
quote:
Alaan thought about the meaning of life:
On a related note, anyone that is printing out their own char sheets should probably use the 3.5 sheets. A few skills might be off due the the name changing and/or squishing in 3.5, but on the whole a better sheet.

Didn't she say it was 3.0 though? I am the confused.

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Alaan
posted 01-15-2004 06:04:04 PM
quote:
Verily, Alek Saege doth proclaim:
Didn't she say it was 3.0 though? I am the confused.

It is 3.0. The 3.5 character sheet is superior though. Only 2 or 3 skill changes would affect the sheet at all.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-15-2004 06:05:03 PM
I'll play if it includes yiffing.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 01-15-2004 06:05:40 PM
If the layout of the character sheet is better, it'd be worth it. 3.5 is close enough to 3.0 that the character sheets aren't OMG DIFFERENT!

Though that does bring up a good point. Kat, you might want to give your players a standardized layout/outline for character sheets. One thing that annoyed the hell out of me in the last campaign I ran was that no one's character sheet looked the same. Some people recorded meticulously where the points for, say, their Saving throws came from, some didn't. Some put feats before skills, some didn't. Saves time if it's all in the same spot. First character sheet isn't that big a deal, but I find it helps to arrange stuff later and explain the arrangement to players.

Next game I run, I'm implementing form sheets for people to fill out.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Taylen
Pancake
posted 01-15-2004 06:11:10 PM
Any chance for getting a list/short descriptions of the FR gods/goddesses. I can remember a few names off the top of my head but none of the importent info about them.
"When correctly viewed, everything is lewd." - Tom Lehrer.
Sadomasochism: It's Fun!
Taylen Ashenbow
Rangers never run we mearly stratigically retreat.
Thats not a train thats a pull, my trains are always much bigger.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 01-15-2004 06:14:07 PM
quote:
How.... Taylen.... uughhhhhh:
Any chance for getting a list/short descriptions of the FR gods/goddesses. I can remember a few names off the top of my head but none of the importent info about them.

What race? each one has their own. And there's an entire book devoted to the major ones (not including most monster deities, for which you must consult with Parcelan, keeper of Monster Lore)

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 01-15-2004 06:27:00 PM
quote:
Verily, Mortious doth proclaim:
I'll play if it includes yiffing.

The only yiffing you would see is the fury of a wild jackalwere as it tears your innards out ;P

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
MorbId
Pancake
posted 01-15-2004 06:28:21 PM
quote:
Taylen had this to say about Reading Rainbow:

Major deities:

Azuth - LN god of magic
Bane - LE god of strife
Chauntea - NG goddess of growth
Cyric - CE god of murder and lies
Eilistraee - CG goddess of good drow
Gond - N god of inventions and technology
Helm - LN god of guardians
Ilmater - LG god of suffering
Kelemvor - LN god of death
Kossuth - N god of fire
Lathander - NG god of renewal and morning
Lolth - CE goddess of drow
Malar - CE god of evil lycanthropes and slaughter
Mask - NE god of thieves
Mielikki - NG goddess of woodlands and rangers
Mystra - NG goddess of magic
Oghma - N god of knowledge
Selune - CG goddess of the moon, good lycanthropes
Shar - NE goddess of shadows
Shaundakul - CN god of travel
Silvanus - N god of forests and nature
Sune - CG goddess of love and beauty
Talos - CE god of storms
Tempus - CN god of war
Torm - LG god of paladins and duty
Tymora - CG goddess of luck
Tyr - LG god of justice
Umberlee - CE goddess of the ocean
Uthgar - CN god the Uthgar
Waukkeen - N goddess of merchants

I am also interested in this campaign. I'll try to get a PM sent by tomorrow.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 01-15-2004 06:30:36 PM
Here is a nifty page I found, has all the FR gods for the various races. You can look them up via name, alignment, domain or portfolio. Only has basic info on them, not descs or backgrounds.

http://www.dandello.net/realms/human.htm

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Alaan
posted 01-15-2004 07:04:00 PM
You can ignore my first PM Kat. Got a full character sheet filled out now. I'll PM all the detail stuff this time.
Vise the Stompy
Title now 100% ass free!
posted 01-15-2004 08:43:09 PM
Got my charachter sent.I hope I didn't miss anything.

[ 01-15-2004: Message edited by: Vise the Stompy ]

Alaan
posted 01-15-2004 08:48:34 PM
I just realized that my Point Buy Accidentally got to 30 instead of 29. So my Cha can now become even more abysmal!
Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 01-15-2004 08:53:31 PM
I've had no experience playing DnD, yet I've been gaming every friday for a month or so with some friends.
Alaan
posted 01-15-2004 09:22:20 PM
Something that is funny, though not really relevant. You can actually get a prestiege class at level 2. Forsaker from Masters of the Wild only has Lightning Reflexes, Iron Will, and Great Fortitude as the reqs. Human Fighter can take them first level.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: