EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Want to run a AD&D game if anyone here still plays
Hireko
Kill a fish before breakfast each day
posted 04-16-2003 03:04:34 AM
I'm strongly considering running a second party in my current AD&D world, and was wondering if there would be interest in a webgame of it. I'm not sure using what technology yet, thats still under consideration.

The game is loosely based on 2e, but has veins of both 1e and 3e in it, along with many common house rules that have been added to the game. Consider it 2nd Ed Plus.

The most likely time slot for the game would be Monday or Tuesday nights as those are my days off, but thats negotiable.

The world is already written, the rules are already tweaked, the major NPCs already operating, and another party already adventuring. All that would be required is a party of 3-5 players, and a little work to get used to running over IRC or GRIP or something.

I'll run for whatever PCs you make, but I had some ideas that could be fun to think about in character creation.

1. The Bad Guys

The other party is god-chosen, working for the current Alliance of Light. Why not start a part of goblinoids and similar bad characters, and work for the Darkness Uprising? Forge a new place in the surface world for all the creatures forced underground so long!

2. The Stealth Party

Have everyone be at least party thief, and skulk everywhere. I've seen this done, and it has a lot of potential. Its certainly a break from the traditional kick in the door approach to adventuring.

3. The All Barbarian Party

A party that all comes from a barbarian culture has no place to go but up. Getting metal armor and weapons will be the big first step to being able to compete in the world, and everything you come across will be at first amazing to your character.

But like I said, I'm willing to run any party the PCs put together. Those are just some things I think would be cool.

Or, perhaps more likely, there's no one around who wants to play 2e anymore. Thats a fair opinion, and if there's no interest I'll just stick to the one pencil 'n paper group I've got going right now.

I've spent the last few years learning to run a decent game, and developing my own GM style. I haven't run a webgame since I became a decent DM, and I think it'll be fun.

Those who dance are thought insane by those who can't hear the music.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 04-16-2003 03:06:14 AM
I've not interest in 2e myself, but if you need any help operating in IRC if you choose that, then I'm more than happy to help.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-16-2003 03:27:57 AM
We've already talked in chat You know I'm up for it.
Lashanna
noob
posted 04-16-2003 04:37:22 AM
I'm up for it.

I'll play anything.

I like the Bad Guys option particularly, but all have their merit. I just got kind of addicted to the various forms of evil since I got to play my first wholely evil character recently. I'm eager to engage in more,

I never played 1st Ed though, and I played 2nd Ed for awhile, but that was quite a long time ago, still have my books though.

And I've got a good, current grasp of 3rd ed.

I'd love to play.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 04-16-2003 05:32:07 AM
my current 3e D&D game has a party of "Criminals". Comes off as a D&D party crossed with the guys from Ocean's Eleven. We have a cat burglar, a sniper, a con man, a proper rogue, a thug, a semi-professional gladiator who does criminal stuff on the side, and on guy who's just ambiguously bad. Oh and the death rocker/necromancer bard.

It's a LOT of fun coming up with stuff for these guys to do that isn't exclusively hack and slash, especially since it's pseudo steampunk (sort of like FF7ish). Last session they had a chase scene...fleeing the city in stolen vehicles with a pissed off young adult dragon after them. They really got into the spirit of it, I thought.

But yeah...a stealth team is cool to run, cool to play with. I played in a party of ninjas once back in 2e. That was cool.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-16-2003 06:24:33 AM
quote:
Lashanna had this to say about Duck Tales:
I'm up for it.

I'll play anything.

I like the Bad Guys option particularly, but all have their merit. I just got kind of addicted to the various forms of evil since I got to play my first wholely evil character recently. I'm eager to engage in more,

I never played 1st Ed though, and I played 2nd Ed for awhile, but that was quite a long time ago, still have my books though.

And I've got a good, current grasp of 3rd ed.

I'd love to play.

One of my favorite characters I used to play was Neutral Evil. Quite a challenge to play in a party, but one could always advance the greater cause of evil while galavanting around the countryside with good weenies.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-16-2003 09:00:51 AM
I'll have to see about the day, and it depents what hours you run. But most people here know I'm interested (I have a shtick!). Plus, I recall one of the custom rules you told me about, and it's a concept that I like. I have my 2nd and 3rd edition books piled together atop my PC, and have calling to look through each of them on occasion (except 3E psionics, which has made its way to the bottom of the stack, along with a Mage rulebook).

The second option, an all-thief party, sounds right up my alley, as I most enjoy playing rogues anyway. If you go this route, I'd probably bombard you with concepts. Dunno how it would work out for gameplay, since I've never seen a party with more than half rogues. You'd also need to deal with a lot of in-party conflict, because not everyone believes in honor among thieves. If the game were 3rd edition, I'd suggest including other stealth-friendly classes. Of course, since you said everyone would be part thief, not necessarily all thief, a lot of possibilities present themselves.

The first option, that of an evil party, has its benefits and drawbacks. If we work in direct opposition to the hero party, there's always the likelihood that we'd run into them (or they'd run into us) during an adventuring session. At that point, you'd need to run both groups against each other, and if both survived the encounter during their own sessions, you'd find yourself with conflicting versions of the same world. So long as the two groups remained separated in their actions, however, most people seem to enjoy playing evil characters, given the opportunity.

I can't say much about the third option, the all-barbarian party. It's the most limiting on character concepts, though the unique perspectives of the party members can make for very entertaining roleplay.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Alt-F4
Pancake
posted 04-16-2003 11:26:53 AM
I'll play, it would be good to get to be a player not DM for a change. Plus, it's second edition
"Well that still only counts as one."
-Gimli
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-16-2003 12:06:35 PM
Told you people would be interested Reko
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 04-16-2003 01:19:08 PM
I'm up for it, the stealth party catches my interest as I love first ed thieves with their x5 backstab .
"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Taeldian
Pancake
posted 04-16-2003 01:23:06 PM
I'd love to play in the rogue group if someone can point me to some 2E books.
Hireko
posted 04-16-2003 03:29:37 PM
Cool.

I don't actually expect you to run into the other party, heh. But you can hear about each other, and mess the world up for each other when you get to decent levels.

How do y'all feel about starting levels?

I started the current party at 0th level, broke, in the middle of nowhere, and that was really quite charming, but it was something they all were in favor of. The other options are 1st level, 3rd level, and 5th. (Higher levels don't come with more magic items though, just more XP and standard equipment.)

As to party conflict - this is important for anyone that plays with me to understand. I don't set rules on what PC's magically can't do in the universe. If they decide the party isn't working for them, they can walk out. If they come to intensely dislike someone and inform me they attack them, what happens does happen.

Only one incident of this has occured in my current game, it went something like this (keeping in mind the current party is mostly ex-prisoners):

The party's ranger was chaotic good, from a different country than the rest, and very prickly. She got into a lot of bickering with the party, and after discovering their LN priest of Pluto thought animating some dead was ok, threatened to kill him if he did. Well, the the LN priest's country mates heard that, of course.

Later on, they found a paladin of Jupiter who sent them on a mission for him, granting them full pardons for doing so. (Medea's judgement is by the religious athorities.)

Another member of the party, a CN priest of Loki who though the ranger was really irritating and probably a danger to the party, cast Mistaken Missive on the note. 6 days later, it said in absolutely unforged lettering with the authority of the Priesthood of Jupiter that the ranger was guilty of conspiring with the enemy and should probably be executed.

The Judiciary Council questioned the party as to whether the priest of Jupiter was in his right mind, etc etc, but in the end, the ranger had to choose which group she wanted to be judged by. She chose Pluto (ironically) because they have a trial by magical ordeal thing. So the killed her, cast Reincarnate, and she came back as an Orc! The Medean's neighbors have orcs as full citizens, so they decided that meant Pluto judged her to be innocent.

So now, all for one little death threat, she's a fighter of half her previous level. (Orcs can't be rangers.)

Anyhow, I'll start writing up the rule changes that y'all will need to know after work.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-16-2003 03:44:18 PM
As for levels, I guess it would all depend on how you started us off. I personally REALLY like the evil party idea How would you be able ot start us off with that, I dont know.

Hireko
posted 04-16-2003 04:05:59 PM
Keep in mind a bad guy party doesn't have to be all evilly aligned! The Dark Alliance has one Chaotic Good god in it (Ellistrae), and the Order of Light has a Chaotic Evil god (Loki).

Bad guys can be generally reasonable people who are goal orientated. Lawful neutral people fit fine into bad guy parties. Any chaotic does fine. Even a neutral good guy with a hate for humans and demihumans would do ok. True neutral is really only out for himself, in a balanced sort of fashion.

Think about it. Do you think about the goblins you kill in most D&D games as people, consider them as individuals? Or do you mass murder them? Yet characters of good alignment do this all the time!

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-16-2003 04:48:40 PM
Yeah, I worded that wrong. A bad guy party doesnt have to be evil, just not fully understood by those that call themselves good
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-16-2003 05:25:22 PM
I'd love a chance to play as one of the bad guys, especially with a good DM/GM like yourself.

I'm not bothered about what level we start at. Give me a rusty spork and tin armour for all I care. It's the taking part that's fun.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 04-16-2003 10:21:26 PM
badguys are fun!
Lashanna
noob
posted 04-16-2003 11:39:36 PM
After playing campaigns where we've started out with nothing, and then campaigns where we've started out with some levels....

I have to say, I like starting out with some levels... The characters can just do more overall. The amount of stuff you can do at level 3 or 4 compared to level 1 is astounding.

Not to mention, the HP gap between casters and meleers becomes more significant, etc.

Also, as someone who's played sorceresses a lot in groups where I was primarily a damage dealing mage (rather than utility), it gets really really old using Magic Missile or even just Burning Hands over and over...
Once you start having more variety and stuff though....

I just feel like I have more fun with a little bit more room for my character to be customized.

Not to mention, a greater variety of encounters and sorts of challenges can happen at higher level groups..

But also, keep in mind, this is just my experience, and I don't know how fast anyone levels in your campaign. I've been in campaigns where we've started at level 1... And continued on and played forever, and done tons of stuff, and then eventually made level 2. And then there's also the other extreme, the monty haul... I don't like that at all.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Hireko
posted 04-17-2003 03:07:15 AM
Ok, I said the edition is 2e Plus. Its time I put up a bunch of details.

Books used in my game: Player's Handbook, DMG, the class/race handbooks, Unearthed Arcana, 1st ed Manual of the Planes, Combat & Tactics, Spells & Magic, Tome of Magic, High Level Campaigns, Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, Demihuman Deities, 1st ed PHB, 1st ed DMG, Monstrous Manual, Monster Compendium, Humanoid's Handbook, Arms & Equipment

You don't actually need to own or even know anything about all those books of course, but if you wonder where I pull rules and things from, those are it.

Stats are rolled on 3d6+1. Sorry, you can't keep the 19's. If they don't qualify for your class, I will bump your highest stats up to your class minimums. If your stats are godly (say, six 18's?), your character won't make it to being a PC, he'll be grabbed by a king or something. Feel free to roll three columns and pick the one you want, and to rearrange your stats.

Class Notes:

A lot of the tweaks to the game are class specific, so each playable class in my game will get its own blurb, and what book you can find it in.

Fighter: Fighters can achieve Grand Mastery. The level minimums for the levels of mastery are higher than they appear in C&T though - 6th for mastery, 9th for high mastery, 12th for grand mastery.

Ranger (2nd ed): Can only go up to mastery, otherwise as per 2nd ed PHB.

Paladin: Can only go up to mastery; if you want a cool uber mount from your 4th level power, you have to wait till its appropriate for your level; there are anti-paladins, they can Harm Touch, detect good, etc but otherwise keep paladin powers

Ranger (1st ed): Can go up to mastery, otherwise as per 1st ed PHB; only receive their giant bonus in melee combat

Barbarian (1st ed): As per Unearthed Arcana

Feral Warrior: Halfing only, as per 1st edition dragon monk found at http://jumper.dynip.com/campaign/CharacterCrafting/monks.asp with minor adjustments

Thief: As per 2nd ed PHB, but in addition to his other abilities, the points he puts in thief skills allow him (and anyone with thief skills) to detect other people using them; for example, a thief with 70% Hide in Shadows, has a 35% passive chance to detect people hiding in shadows, 70% if he's actively looking

Bard: As per 2nd ed PHB, I don't recommend it

Priest: There are clerics, but most PCs will be specialty priests. Specialty priesthoods are created using the S&M rules for creating priesthoods, and point values of priesthoods vary mildy based on where they are based geographically. They don't have to memorize. Priest multi/dual classes are subject to worst weapon/worst armor due to their restrictions being religious.

Mage: Can memorize their int/spell level each day. This doesn't really come up till you hit 18 or so, but its there. All specialty mages are fine, as per spells & magic. Otherwise, as per 2nd ed PHB

Sorceror: Based on either Wis or Cha based on the person. They know spells as per the wizard spells/day table, but cast on the priest spells/day table with appropriate bonus spells from Wis or Cha. They can't cast in armor, can learn priest spells as well as mage if they aren't extremely priestly. Thac0 is per thieves, xp per fighter, saves as per mage.

Multiclassing/Dual Classing

In general, humans dual class and demihumans multiclass. However, they're not restricted to those options in my game. They may do the one thats normally disallowed their race at a 50% xp penalty if they feel like it.

Dual Classing: I allow the use of your old class's abilities fully after dual classing, and for most classes you can go back to your old class (its hard to explain to Zeus why you suddenly started stealing stuff intstead of smiting things for God, but thief - fighter - theif is no problem). However, if you use none of your new classes abilities at all you receive no xp for the session.

Multiclassing: Multiclasses can't reach as high as straight classed people. Fighter/BLANKs for instance can't go past specialization. However, if you want to sacrifice the xp going to the other class (as in it goes poof!) you can take one of your classes farther along and achieve things normally only single classes can.

Experience:

First of all, while you can't ever "double ding" (make 2 levels in one session), if that should happen to you while your dual classing or something, you don't actually lose the xp. It simply doesn't "come in" till the end of the next session.

Secondly, instead of losing xp for dying, your xp total remains the same. Your comrades all get a small amount of xp. People in your party dying tends to make everyone sit up and learn something.

There are two extra forms of xp granted in my game:

Paranoia - being very paranoid gets your party a minor xp bonus, as it indicates a level of submersion into the game I like to encourage

Learning Points - ala whitewolf, we go around and you tell me something your character learned. (It doesn't have to be true!) You get a small amount of xp for each one (usually around 50xp or so). If yours is especially insightful or funny, you can get credit for two instead of one. These help people bring the whole session into focus.

Death:

Yes, I decided to put in a section on death.

If you fall below -10 hitpoints, you die on count 1 of the next round. If you fall below -10 and are fixed in the same round you went under, you continue to live, although seeing death's door has some bad effects. (System shock or die, and temporary stat loss)

Now why am I so generous, you migh wonder.

Its because death is pretty much permanent in my world. There is no Resurrection or Raise Dead. Reincarnation exists on a very limited availability, and doesn't really bring you back precisely.

I've played in only one game where people were able to come back from the dead, and I've found that life is much dearer when losing it is permanent. It makes character sacrifice mean something.

More details to come later when I get them typed out.

Hireko
posted 04-18-2003 02:43:10 AM
Spellcasting notes:

You don't need 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep in my game to cast/memorize spells. What you require is a number of hours of uninterrupted sleep that equal the highest level spell you want to cast. (ie, after 3 hours of sleep, you could cast thirds but not fourths)

Components: I enforce components heavily in my game at lower levels, but once you have reasonable access to a city, temple of your god, etc I enforce only expensive/rare components that were placed there to limit the spell. I assume you found colored sand or bat dung, but if you have the eyebrow of a revenant or a ring that has been exposed to the plane of Limbo, or 5000 gp of diamond dust as a component you'd better cough it up.

Cantrip: Mages and specialist mages can cast 4 + level cantrips a day that have some game mechanics purpose. Cantrips for pure style are free, and you can cast however many you want.

Orison: Priest, Druids, and specialty priests can cast 4 + level orisons each day for gameplay purposes. If you overuse style orisons like they were cantrips, God will be severely unimpressed.

DEMIHUMANS NOTE!!! If you are affected by magical aging from any spell that specifys an amount of aging, you are going to age proportionally more than a human or shorter lived creature. Dwarves magically age twice as fast, elves five times as fast, etc

Specific spell notes:

Stoneskin (4th mage, PHB) is self only.
Ethereal (3rd priest, SM) is 4th level.
Stoneskin and Fire Shield do not stack! Fire Shield will only return damage if damage is actually taken!

Tokah World Specific Common Spells:

Improved Withdraw
Priest 4th, Combat
Casting time: 1

This spell is identical to 2nd level Withdraw, except that any spell that only affects the caster, or action that only affect the caster may be taken. Hence you could suit up in your armor, cast six self buff spells, and come out fighting next round.

Cure Hangover
Priest 1st, Healing
Casting time: 1 round

Duh.

Protection vs Veneral Disease
Priest 1st, Protection
Casting time 1 rd

Duh.

Character Creation Notes:

Hitpoints are max at first level, for you and ever NPC, monster, and animal you meet. Normally you'd get a choice in the matter at start of the game, but the other party voted when they started, and thats the way the world is now. (If you are a class who gets two dice worth of hitpoints at first level, such as the 1st ed ranger, only one is maxed.)

Playable races: Human, Dwarf (hill, mountain), Elf (high, wood), Gnome, Halfing (stout, tallfellow), half elf, orc, half orc, ogre, goblin, kobold, lizardman, gnoll, hobgoblin, bugbear

(Humanoids are drawn from the Complete Book of Humanoids and often take an overall loss in stat points.)

Race/class combinations: I am very strict with 2nd ed class/race restrictions on PHB races with the exception of Paladins (there are a few paladins of each demi-human race). Humanoids I am far more flexible on. There are goblin and kobold wizards and bugbear thieves.

Proficiencies:

Proficiencies are important, knowing things about the world and how to do things comes up a lot in my game. I don't agree with stereotype of the skilless adventurer. Most characters in my game start with a trade skill. Hence, I've tried to make it easier to be a more compentent character without throwing balance out the window.

All classes have 7 initial proficiency slots, split between weapon and non-weapon. If the PHB lists you as having less, you can choose which group you're using the extra on.

You can buy proficiency slots with experience. Weapon slots cost 50% the cost of raising from the level you are in to the next one, non-weapon slots cost 25%. You may buy one of each, once per level.

Languages cost 1/2 slot to speak, 1/2 to read and write.

You may buy 1/4 slots in things you are pretty familiar with, but not proficient in persay, or in things that are very specific. A PC in my game has a quarter slot in Penmanship. She has nice handwriting.

I have nothing against making up proficiencies! If there's something you want to be good at that doesn't appear in any book, come talk to me about it. We'll invent it.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-18-2003 07:43:27 PM
quote:
'Reko Tokah Fang wrote this then went back to looking for porn:
All classes have 7 initial proficiency slots, split between weapon and non-weapon. If the PHB lists you as having less, you can choose which group you're using the extra on.
Do you grant the extra non-weapon proficiencies from the Intelligence table, or does everyone get strictly seven?
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Hireko
posted 04-18-2003 09:07:02 PM
Yes, I do. I've been doing that so long I forgot it was non-standard!
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 04-18-2003 09:41:36 PM
quote:
'Reko Tokah Fang obviously shouldn't have said:
Priest: ... Specialty priesthoods are created using the S&M rules for creating priesthoods...

hehehehe... I laugh.

[ 04-18-2003: Message edited by: Alek Saege ]

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
Hireko
posted 04-20-2003 01:09:06 AM
Ok I sent the initial poll around. It looks like most everyone is going to be a surface dweller, which simplifies known geography I have to describe.

The continent you all live on is shaped like a horseshoe, round end is south, open end is north. There a small land bridge connecting the northern part of the left and right sides.

Starting at the top left and circling around, the major areas of interest:

Lahdro - this is your basic D&D nation. Its agrarian, feudalistic, and human centric with a mountain range inhabited by dwarves, the random demihuman scattered in cities and ocassionally towns, and its own system of Mage Towers. The gods it worships are the Greek deities.

Going south...

The Haunted Jungle and the Valley School of Magic - hundreds of miles of jungle surrounding a broad valley containing the largest Mage Tower in the world. There is also reputedly a druid grove in the jungle somewhere, but none can tell you where.

Continuing south...

Trel'las'sen - home of the elves, leafy, woodsy, but old and with some cities. The elven nation is militarized right now. Training in Trel'las'sen is almost always through the government guilds, and is subsidized but comes with required army service.

At the bottom of the horseshoe....

The Southern Dwarven Empire - the southern end of the continents is as series of impassable mountain ranges that are the home to 15 dwarven clans united by the ideal of equal trade for equal value.

Now heading north, on the right side

The Wildlands - abandoned thousands of years ago for reasons men don't remember and elves choose not to contemplate, this land houses barbarians, old magic, and castoff parts of civilized societies

Continuing North...

Fizzelurga - the nation of the gnomes. At its heart full of good humor, years of war with Medea has made the face of Fizzlurga far sterner. Two clans of dwarves live here as well, and the nation is ruled by a council of clergy, guildmasters, and dwarven representatives.

The Shire - duh Located left of Fizzelurga along the inland coast; greatest supplier of pipe weed.

And moving north, parallel to Lahndro...

Medea - Medea is a theocratic communistic nation that bans mages from their lands and demihumans from their cities. They are often at war with Fizzelurga, and also commonly with Lahdro. They worship the Roman Gods.

North of that, tip of the horshoe now...

Krandor - a Viking land of humans, orcs, and half orcs living in tribes under a common king (usually a half orc), a brutal land bereft of mages, but filled with mage sight. Its rumored its inhabitants are descendants of the god Krandor himself. Mostly worship the Norse gods. Heavily involved in trading on the outside coast.

North of the continent....

The Aleutian Isles - inhabited by very few trees and a good sprinkling of Inuits and selkies

In the middle of the inland see, halfway between the land bridge and the dwarves...

Tangden - sort of the Mos Eisley of the world; its an island nation that owns most of the shipping on the Inland Sea. Its populated by the smugglers, traders, merchants, and bastards of the world. Its the place to find half elves, half orcs, weird cults, and any merchandise you could possibly want.

Thats the general overview of the world. You'll ge

Hireko
posted 04-20-2003 01:11:36 AM
Ok I sent the initial poll around. It looks like most everyone is going to be a surface dweller, which simplifies known geography I have to describe.

The continent you all live on is shaped like a horseshoe, round end is south, open end is north. There a small land bridge connecting the northern part of the left and right sides.

Lahdro - this is your basic D&D nation. Its agrarian, feudalistic, and human centric with a mountain range inhabited by dwarves, the random demihuman scattered in cities and ocassionally towns, and its own system of Mage Towers. The gods it worships are the Greek deities.

Going south...

The Haunted Jungle and the Valley School of Magic - hundreds of miles of jungle surrounding a broad valley containing the largest Mage Tower in the world. There is also reputedly a druid grove in the jungle somewhere, but none can tell you where.

Continuing south...

Trel'las'sen - home of the elves, leafy, woodsy, but old and with some cities. The elven nation is militarized right now. Training in Trel'las'sen is almost always through the government guilds, and is subsidized but comes with required army service.

The Southern Dwarven Empire - the southern end of the continents is as series of impassable mountain ranges that are the home to 15 dwarven clans united by the ideal of equal trade for equal value.

The Wildlands - abandoned thousands of years ago for reasons men don't remember and elves choose not to contemplate, this land houses barbarians, old magic, and castoff parts of civilized societies

Continuing North...

Fizzelurga - the nation of the gnomes. At its heart full of good humor, years of war with Medea has made the face of Fizzlurga far sterner. Two clans of dwarves live here as well, and the nation is ruled by a council of clergy, guildmasters, and dwarven representatives.

The Shire - duh Located left of Fizzelurga along the inland coast; greatest supplier of pipe weed.

Medea - Medea is a theocratic communistic nation that bans mages from their lands and demihumans from their cities. They are often at war with Fizzelurga, and also commonly with Lahdro. They worship the Roman Gods.

Krandor - a Viking land of humans, orcs, and half orcs living in tribes under a common king (usually a half orc), a brutal land bereft of mages, but filled with mage sight. Its rumored its inhabitants are descendants of the god Krandor himself. Mostly worship the Norse gods. Heavily involved in trading on the outside coast.

The Aleutian Isles - inhabited by very few trees and a good sprinkling of Inuits and selkies

In the middle of the inland see, halfway between the land bridge and the dwarves...

Tangden - sort of the Mos Eisley of the world; its an island nation that owns most of the shipping on the Inland Sea. Its populated by the smugglers, traders, merchants, and bastards of the world. Its the place to find half elves, half orcs, weird cults, and any merchandise you could possibly want.

Thats the general overview of the world. You'll get a more specific one during character creation when you receive it through the slant of your character upbringing. No PHB race has a perscribed starting area... there are people sprinkled all over.

The Medean/Lahndran gods work much like the Greek/Roman do... they have two different names for the same god, sort of, but not really. (Aprodite is Venus, except that before the greeks came Venus was the goddess of marriage.)

Demihumans tend to follow their respective pantheons, although many human religions have the occasional demihuman worshipper.

The Old Dark Ones, who I think y'all are more likely to end up following currently include: Talos (evil, storms and chaos), Umberlee (sea storms, the see), Velsharoon (undead), Eshowdow (shadow), Ellistrae (CG, helping people and equality amongst the races), Erevan (CN, mischief and theives), and Grothak (LE) as major parties.

Hireko
posted 04-20-2003 01:14:19 AM

Going south...

Continuing south...

Continuing North...

Thats the general overview of the world. You'll get a more specific one during character creation when you receive it through the slant of your character upbringing. No PHB race has a perscribed starting area... there are people sprinkled all over.

The Medean/Lahndran gods work much like the Greek/Roman do... they have two different names for the same god, sort of, but not really. (Aprodite is Venus, except that before the greeks came Venus was the goddess of marriage.)

Demihumans tend to follow their respective pantheons, although many human religions have the occasional demihuman worshipper.

The Old Dark Ones, who I think y'all are more likely to end up following currently include: Talos (evil, storms and chaos), Umberlee (sea storms, the see), Velsharoon (undead), Eshowdow (shadow), Ellistrae (CG, helping people and equality amongst the races), Erevan (CN, mischief and theives), and Grothak (LE) as major parties.

Hireko
posted 04-20-2003 02:08:14 AM
Holy triple post batman!

What was my ISP doing?

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-20-2003 10:47:19 AM
Your ISP is making sure you get our full attention. Perhaps it will let you in IRC as well?

Hireko
posted 04-20-2003 09:45:12 PM
Having looked over the answers on play times from the poll...

I think we're looking at 7pm-whenever everyone wants to sleep, EST times. At least one person will be late, and some people will have to leave earlier than the rest, but thats the closest together I'm going to get.

What would be a good day to run character prequels with a bunch of y'all?

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-20-2003 09:53:15 PM
quote:
'Reko Tokah Fang wrote this then went back to looking for porn:
Having looked over the answers on play times from the poll...

I think we're looking at 7pm-whenever everyone wants to sleep, EST times. At least one person will be late, and some people will have to leave earlier than the rest, but thats the closest together I'm going to get.

What would be a good day to run character prequels with a bunch of y'all?

Whenever is good for me. 7 pm...i cant do that on monday or thursday until after may 10th. dont get off of class till 9. Any other day is good, though sundays I may be AFKish for a couple hours at the start

And how much farther do i need to go on my character

Hireko
posted 04-21-2003 01:42:47 PM
Anyone else have a preference?
Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 04-21-2003 01:50:04 PM
Whenever, although I would have a few conflicts until may 10th.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-21-2003 02:00:38 PM
I'm flexible (within the hours I already told you), as long as I have some advance notice.

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 04-21-2003 03:07:08 PM
I get out of classes as of 1pm and I don't do homework, so I have no conflict with it.
Hireko
posted 04-21-2003 05:20:15 PM
http://www.fangclan.org/ADnD.html

This is where I'll be posting all of my computer AD&D books over the next few days.

Hireko
posted 04-23-2003 03:56:05 PM
Ok, the first session (prequels, character creation, etc) will be on Friday, April 25th, at 8pm EST. Irc room TBA. Post here or pm me if you won't be there!
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-23-2003 03:58:19 PM
I'll be there.
Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 04-23-2003 03:59:34 PM
quote:
Baron Von Mortay had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
I'll be there.
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 04-23-2003 04:04:50 PM
I'll be there, I like being "there", it's so much better than not being there.

I'm tired, leave me alone

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-23-2003 04:28:32 PM
I'm there.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: