EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Finally: I am ready to play D&D
Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 07-17-2002 04:44:05 AM
Okay, everyone, I'm going to run through everything you need to know, but it's late so bare with me:

Combat

-Size does not count as an AC modifer any longer. I dislike that rule. Granted, it does make sense but I dislike the rule.

Magic/Spells

Do not choose your spells yet. I will be posting the new spells soon and the like. Stay tuned. I should have them up in a few days.

Gods/Goddesses

Here are the gods and goddesses. Choose wisely:

Larethadin God of Magic: Chaotic Nuetral/Chaotic Good

Gaia Goddess of Nature; Purity: True Nuetral

ObadmaraGod of Death: Neutral Evil

Ehlogard God of War; Dwarves: Lawful Neutral

Feralusal Goddess of Elves; Life: Neutral Good

Kanasius God of Lawyers: Lawful Evil

Corellon God of Travel; Rogues: Chaotic Neutral

Lahung Goddess of Law; Justice: Lawful Good

Fortuna Goddess of Luck: Chaotic Neutral

Olicuth Ja'Deth God of Evil; Undead: Chaotic Evil (I know, Ja'Deth is the second part of the name. I was thinking of using Olicuth Morte or Grimme but I think Ja'Deth sounds better)

Obadai God of Work; Harvest: Lawful Good/Chaotic Good

Bargantook God of Chaos; Desctruction: Chaotic Neutral/Neutral Evil

Naquata Goddess of Water; Rain; Storms: Chaotic Neutral

Morphestus God of Wind: True Neutral

Perconjarneen Goddess of Fire; Revenge; Murder: Chaotic Evil

Carnagash God of Knowledge; Gnomes: Lawful Neutral

Vecena God of Hospitality; Halflings: Neutral Good

Steven God of Tea: True Neutral

Pedalla Goddess of Scalding Liquids: Chaotic Neutral.

Racial Adjusments

Dwarves: Increased starting ammount of money. +100 GP. Also start with a bank account, allowing you to store items.

Dwarves that have the above abilities forfit typical dwarvish mannerisms: No horned helms. No heavy drinking ability, no thick accent, your accent is raher Jewish.

Elves: 30% chance that you are related to the mob or have friends in the mob. If so, you have a type of summon. You can tell a guy in the mob that you need guys at blah blah place at blah blah time. On that day at that time, 2d4 elven fighters appear and battle until end of combat or until they die.

Elves are required to do small favors for Elven Mob Bosses for each summon. Every three summons, the favor guys up a small bit in difficulty.

Gnomes: They have the inante ability to create things: The skill 'Create' is not limited to Gnomes but gnomes begin with a +2 in said skill, immediatly. With this, they can make many things: A primitive powder has been invented for explosives and steam is just starting.

Gnomes need to send me a typical Tinker Gnome name. A Tinker Gnome's name details their entire life. As in, a young gnomes name would be: "Fredric-The-Young-Gnome-Wh-Once-Tried-To-Create-A-Hydro-" blah blah and so on. The PC must submit a name like that to get the character accepted.

The World

The World: Antaria
Starting City: Ana`Duril
Dwarf Specific: Holderhek
Halfling Specific: Misty Vale
Elven Specific: Ilphukiir, Liadan, Siaondel, Folosial, Amakiir, Nailo
Gnome Specific: Nackel, Namfoodle, Fliggelnip

Okay, I'd like the character sheets soon so I can arange a time to start playing.

Any questions?

Cthulhu

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: Cthulhu ]

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 07-17-2002 04:50:18 AM
Who do you want to play?
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 07-17-2002 04:53:21 AM
I cannot decide until people submit characters.

I have gotten Vise The Stompy and Alaan. That is it.

Cthulhu

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 07-17-2002 04:58:05 AM
Wish I had a PHB, then I might be able to do this. If you still need people by saturday, thats when my F2F group meets and I can et a book and sheets then
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 07-17-2002 05:09:16 AM
Gangsta elf! Better pay yo protection money or yo could get in trouble, y'know what I'm sayin'?
hey
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-17-2002 08:10:27 AM
Hey, Ill like get ya somethin soon.

OR SOMETHING!

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 07-17-2002 08:10:43 AM
quote:
Cthulhu impressed everyone with:
I cannot decide until people submit characters.

I have gotten Vise The Stompy and Alaan. That is it.

Cthulhu

WHAT?!

You said you got mine too
I even sent it to you twice.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Elvish Crack Piper
posted 07-17-2002 08:25:45 AM
quote:
Giantt obviously shouldn't have said:
Gangsta elf! Better pay yo protection money or yo could get in trouble, y'know what I'm sayin'?

Yeah dog, I get dat phat shit, waht you need? Ale, whores, pie? I can hook you up

Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 07-17-2002 11:43:25 AM
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 07-17-2002 11:52:25 AM
quote:
Xyrra had this to say about (_|_):
3rd ed?
Yes, with some custom modifications.

Go here. You'll find links to other threads about this.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Mr. Wilams
Pancake
posted 07-17-2002 12:37:27 PM
Dude, did you keep attacks of oppurtunity?

If you did, I'm going to cry. And not play. Evil fuckers.

Mr. Wilams
Pancake
posted 07-17-2002 12:39:07 PM
Also, boards or IRC?

Boards are too much of a constant commitment, I'd rather not have to be checking the boards every 20 minutes for activity.

The Curman
Pancake
posted 07-17-2002 12:46:56 PM
quote:
So quoth Giantt:

Gunamugya Gimmeyermoney.

There's a character name!!!

Someone pick that!!

Elvish Crack Piper
posted 07-17-2002 01:37:19 PM
If I can play, How would an elven monk "assassin" kinda charcter do?
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 07-17-2002 01:37:54 PM
quote:
Cthulhu had this to say about Tron:
Size does not count as an AC modifer any longer. I dislike that rule. Granted, it does make sense but I dislike the rule.

Any questions?

Cthulhu

Well, um, okay... just remember that all the prefabricated "monsters" have their respective size bonuses or penalties already factored in. Also, does this apply to both the Armor Class (AC) and the Attack Bonus (Atk) for small PC's?

Other questions...

Do characters have to come from either the capital city or a city specific to their race? Or can they, say, come from a small town of mixed population? How about from a farm in the middle of nowhere, or a cottage in the woods? Are there any terrains where a character absolutely cannot have come from or been to (like a desert or a mountain range) because the nearest one is too far away? I suspect this information would be useful for anyone who hasn't yet finished their history.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 07-17-2002 03:10:14 PM
Sent!
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 07-17-2002 06:55:23 PM
Alright, I sent it a third time, with a couple minor equipment changes. Let me know if you want me to flesh out one of my alternative characters as well.

Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 07-17-2002 11:29:29 PM
I might just keep in size modified AC just to save time and for simplicity.

I will check your character sheets now.

The cities near by are as goes:

To the left of Ana`Duril: Heading towards Nordic sorta Viking type people. Scots, Norse, etc. Very few other races besides humans around here, except for Corpanus.

To the right of Ana`Duril are mixed cities, some richer, some poorer. Further along, the elven cities. Gnomish cities a bit lower down.

To the north of Ana`Duril: The dwarven city and mountains. Lots of mountains.

Also, concerning the Mafia Elves:

Instead of being young brothas in the elven hood, with their pieces, yo, G-Dog homeslice, instead of that, look at the 1920's and 1930's for the type of Mafia they are.

They are not cocks. Instead, they are a combination of Elven culture and gang like behavior. Thank you for seconding guessing me though.

Just say what kinda city a want it to be and I'll do my best to choose a city that fits your description. If not, I will choose any city I want but chances of that are slim.

Also:

IRC. Definatly IRC. Do not ask for times yet because I am not fully ready.

Go sit on your hands for a while. In the meantime, do not worry. Many things I willa address on the first game day.

Cthulhu

Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 07-17-2002 11:30:32 PM
OH! Mountains=Yes

Deserts=No

Ice Lands=Maybe, better have a damn good story for me to allow that

Cthulhu

Taylen
Pancake
posted 07-18-2002 12:42:17 AM
I'll send you stuff as soon as I figure out a God/dess for my cleric to follow. Might have to rethink some of my orginal cleric idea to better match the way elves are in this world.
"When correctly viewed, everything is lewd." - Tom Lehrer.
Sadomasochism: It's Fun!
Taylen Ashenbow
Rangers never run we mearly stratigically retreat.
Thats not a train thats a pull, my trains are always much bigger.
Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 07-18-2002 01:27:11 AM
Not all elves are mobsters. Some are just really graceful, elgant, witty, high class people.

Cthulhu

Taylen
Pancake
posted 07-18-2002 01:34:02 AM
Aye but my original character went more towards the woodsy in tune with nature side of elves.

Plus I usually go with Neutral Good characters and the Nature Goddess is True Neutral (can't remember rules on clerics alignment with respect to diety alignment)

"When correctly viewed, everything is lewd." - Tom Lehrer.
Sadomasochism: It's Fun!
Taylen Ashenbow
Rangers never run we mearly stratigically retreat.
Thats not a train thats a pull, my trains are always much bigger.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 07-18-2002 09:49:01 AM
Taylen: Clerics are allowed to be one step off from their deity. For example, the cleric of a chaotic neutral deity has four alignment choices: chaotic neutral, chaotic good, chaotic evil, or true neutral (neutral neutral). The cleric of a lawful evil deity has only three choices: lawful evil, lawful neutral, or neutral evil. I found this fairly clear.

It's really rather interesting that elves are so popular, and I've thought about it a good deal. As a matter of life in general, elves have some significant advantages. They live for 700 years, and rest only four hours per night. They're agile folk, with better nighttime vision than humans. While their numbers are few, they are very often considered the "elite" of society... even without mob connections. They have been described as good-looking, elegant, and charming. And yet, they have such a close resemblance to humans that players feel comfortable as members of elvenkind.

Now don't get me wrong, I like playing elves too. But I've found that it's far too easy for an entire party to be composed of elves, because many people play them exclusively. Humans are no longer the "shafted race" at lower levels that they once were. The importance of elven nightvision has been toned down. So if your character doesn't fit with Elven society, you no longer have to make him or her the elf who never fit in. Other races can now foot the bill.

Just my 2CP.

Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 07-18-2002 10:59:04 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Cthulhu said:
Kanasius God of Lawyers: Lawful Evil

Any questions?

Cthulhu

*Gydyon is angered*

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 07-18-2002 05:45:20 PM
Sorry Gydyon. Meant in good humour.

Cthulhu

Mr. Wilams
Pancake
posted 07-18-2002 05:49:34 PM
ATTACKS OF OPPURTUNITYYYYYYYYYY
Ruvie's Alt
Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
posted 07-18-2002 06:36:46 PM
quote:
Mr. Wilams was naked while typing this:
ATTACKS OF OPPURTUNITYYYYYYYYYY

Own. Think about it. You get one free attack, without penalty, just because your target is moving past you.

Also, with Combat Reflexes, and a high Dex... *drool*

Alaan
posted 07-18-2002 06:39:10 PM
quote:
Fighter thought about the meaning of life:
Own. Think about it. You get one free attack, without penalty, just because your target is moving past you.

Also, with Combat Reflexes, and a high Dex... *drool*

I have to problem with it. The bigges issue is for mages, but I'm not one of those, so not my problem.

Mr. Wilams
Pancake
posted 07-18-2002 06:40:49 PM
I HATE attacks of oppurtunity. Unless you know the tables by heart as a DM, Oz, I'd rather not sit around every 2 minutes in combat waiting for you to look it up.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 07-18-2002 09:53:21 PM
Attacks of Opportunity, or AoA, give a slight advantage to melee classes over spellcasters. Without them, a wizard can cast a spell at point-blank range without threat of retaliation until the spell completes. With them, the wizard needs to stand safely behind a meat shield, or risk his spell getting interrupted.

Other than that, they don't make a significant difference in the longrun. Though the combat reflexes feat can potentially change that a bit, again to the favor of melee classes. (Combat reflexes are most beneficial when combined with a long-reach melee weapon, such as a polearm.)

Mr. Wilams
Pancake
posted 07-18-2002 10:03:35 PM
They're a good idea, especially for giving melee classes an advantage over wizards, but it's WAY too excessive and makes combat just plain dull.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: