EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The D&D Thread
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 12-30-2001 06:42:46 PM
So, last night, I held my first chat-based game of Dungeons and Dragons (3rd Edition. All you change-fearing old shitfaces can eat my ass).

The module was "The Sunless Citadel" (those of you who have played through said module, tell NOTHING about it to the PCs, or you shall die).

The party was:

-Khyron the Paladin (played by Khyron)
-Caldon the Cleric (played by Elethi)
-Terra the Sorceress (played by Lashanna)
-Krandar the Fighter (played by Mortious)

We didn't get to much combat, but the fighting that there was was excellent. A lot of opportunities to roleplay came about, and I was really impressed with everyone's RPing. From Khyron's noble demeanor, to Caldon's easy-going nature, to Terra's diplomacy with kobolds, to Krandar's oddness.

It's a lot of fun to DM these people, and I had a great time with them last night.

As a final note, anyone is free to watch the game. It's in mIRC chat on the other server. So anytime you wanna watch, lemme know and I'll hook you up with the room.

Okay, that's all I have to say. Let this henceforth become a thread for discussing D&D.

Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 12-30-2001 06:43:59 PM
Terra was hilarious.
"Stop touching that!"

I'm hoping to get in on a campaign soon also, my first actually. We'll see how it goes.

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Lalamile
My title doesn't even make sense any more
posted 12-30-2001 06:52:28 PM
I would love to join a game some time. I just kinda suck. Ahhh well.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-30-2001 07:11:39 PM
Man, I wish I had time and a group to play. I know my wife would enjoy it, too.

Maybe we'll have to look into this chat-based stuff . . .

I always enjoyed the pen-and-paper stuff better than the computer games. Though, when I was DM in the early '80s, I wrote a BASIC program for my Atari that let me show various room setups to my players. In 3-D, sort of.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 12-30-2001 07:17:14 PM
3rd ed n00b looking for DM! I understand nothing!
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 12-30-2001 07:25:01 PM
I would love to be in a chat game (or even to watch a good one), but times that are good for me are rarely good for others.

Anyway, on to D&D! I'm loving the way 3rd ed deals with more powerful PC races (such as Hengeyokai from Oriental Adventures). I like the character levels, it works much better for multi-classing. Psionics are finally balanced.

What I don't like is the fact that in standard D&D, you get locked into the Monk class. If you have levels as a Monk, the gain a class level as something else, you can never again gain levels as a Monk. I can see why Paladins are like that, but I don't think Monks should be. (Note: In OA, they are not.)

Also, I have a question. Is there a new book out that has more PC races in it? I recall someone saying something about a book of races, but I can't find where it was said. If I knew the name, I could order it (if it looks good).

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Cap'n Elethi
I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my shirt...
posted 12-30-2001 08:01:49 PM
It was a fun game.

Its refreshing to play new characters again. My last campaign, we were so high level, it waas disgusting. PC's shouldn't get over 16 or so, anyways.

I consider myself lucky to be in a game DM'd by Parce.

By the way, I'de consider DM's some newbies, if anyones interested. Obviosly, I'm an awful DM, but its better than nothing, right? It be nice to have some veterans to help explain things too. I'll post about it if I decide to.

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: Elethi ]

Elethi Rian, A Man Of Many Talents
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-30-2001 08:04:11 PM
Krandar > Puny Skeletons

Cap'n Elethi
posted 12-30-2001 08:06:52 PM
I got one of the skeletons...

If only turning worked and my dice didn't hate me.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-30-2001 08:09:27 PM
You stood there for half the battle, looking constipated, while Lash got torn apart. Then you mauled one with a single hit. Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum, sheesh.
Willias
Pancake
posted 12-30-2001 08:22:02 PM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon had this to say about Cuba:
Also, I have a question. Is there a new book out that has more PC races in it? I recall someone saying something about a book of races, but I can't find where it was said. If I knew the name, I could order it (if it looks good).

Forgotten Realms has a lot of modifiers to standard races and some new ones.

Il Buono
posted 12-30-2001 08:27:43 PM
quote:
Mortious Shadowstalker had this to say about Captain Planet:
You stood there for half the battle, looking constipated, while Lash got torn apart. Then you mauled one with a single hit. Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum, sheesh.

As I said, that battle was hilarious.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 12-30-2001 08:28:54 PM
quote:
Willias stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Forgotten Realms has a lot of modifiers to standard races and some new ones.

No, I think I remember someone mentioning a book that centered on new races. The Forgotten Realms book has new race info as just one small topic. Although, I would suspect that the race info from there will be repeated in the book I'm trying to remember.

Thanks though.

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: Palador ChibiDragon ]

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
ZaÂ’afiel
Coolest Hamster Pimp Ever!
posted 12-30-2001 08:43:20 PM
whats the old server name again ?

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: Anklebitur D'gnome ]

"Consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 12-30-2001 08:44:57 PM
You definitely should, Sage. It's great fun. Deth runs a game called High Seas on Thursday and Saturday nights. It's 3E D&D and I've found D&D works great in a chat based setting. It's easier (for me, at least) to get a feel for a setting when the GM can write it all out and I can read and visualize, rather than have to listen and try to visualize. I always learned best by visual prompts than audio prompts.

I like giving characters my own voices for them in my head, too. In a tabletop D&D setting, you kind of associate that character with whatever voice their player has, whatever sex they are. Chat gives you a bit more freedom with that.

And people can give actions at the same time. There's no "I do this" then "I do this" etc. People can react to things thrown out the same way they would in normal roleplay, so things seem even more real doing it that way, than around a table, again, to me at least.

You should come watch us some time if you get the chance to pop on IRC, Sage. Deth's a great GM, very creative and very good at what he does. That goes for others too, except certain parties who I'm sure know they're not welcome there. We're in #High*Seas on the Sorc IRC network, on Thursdays and Saturdays around 10pm EST. Maybe a little later if it takes me longer getting home after work, but around there. If you need to know how to get there, PM me and I'll be more than happy to throw some servers your way, Sage or anyone else that doesn't know how to get there.

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: Lyinar ]

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-30-2001 08:49:30 PM
I may have to check that out, then.

My wife and I can't even play online games together, since her comp is ancient.

Thanks!

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-30-2001 08:56:02 PM
You can use IRC on old, old computers.

I started on a 486 Packard Bell, so I doubt she'd have trouble.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-30-2001 08:57:49 PM
Of course, the last D&D ruleset I played was vintage 1982 or so.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-30-2001 08:59:26 PM
*chuckles*

3E's a lot simpler to pick up than the other editions I think. A lot more newbie friendly, but it's not dumbed down either. Just simplified things that previous editions overcomplicated.

Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 12-30-2001 09:09:38 PM
me and my bro wanna play D&D. anyone know where we could find a game? no RL ones..
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-30-2001 09:10:57 PM
Why don't you try starting one up with other EC people that want to play, Arrenn?

Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 12-30-2001 09:17:58 PM
I dont know any other EC members that are

A. Wanting to play

B. Not already in a game

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 12-30-2001 09:19:20 PM
Sure there are, Arrenn!

Just ask around in the chat room. I know of at least three people that wanna play, and that's all you need for a nice adventure, really.

Likewise, they can use this thread as a Sound-Off

Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 12-30-2001 09:21:14 PM
*clears his throat*
D&D player wanna-be's Sound off!
ArchAngel
Not a girl, never will be, no matter how much you may hear differently
posted 12-30-2001 09:21:20 PM
Grins

Yeah, the High Seas game is great fun, lots of accidental things happen that are really funny... like my character getting trampled by a skeletal centaur thing when trying to od a complex combat maneuver.

My die is behaving itself at last anyway. But yes, people should come check watch.

"What power would hell have if those imprisoned there could not dream of heaven?" -Dream, Sandman
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights, and lock the universe behind me as I leave." -Death, Sandman
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Dream, Sandman
Full sigpic image
Cap'n Elethi
posted 12-30-2001 09:22:01 PM
I *might* be willing to DM you guys Arren, if one or two veterans would be willing to step up and help.

It really depends on how busy the next week is going to be.

Who ever would be interested in a short, chat based DnD game, mostly for learning or such, feel free to port here.

Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 12-30-2001 09:24:59 PM
alright..it'd have to be on weekends, seeing as I am unable to get on during the week. would that be ok?
Lazzay
omg mack attack :(
posted 12-30-2001 09:25:42 PM
Hey Arrenn

Zaza is startin a game, ya can come join us if you want

one two three fo let me see that tootsie roll
Arttemis the Rogue
Amethyst's sex toy
posted 12-30-2001 09:27:53 PM
Elethi, if I don't start out a game of my own (we all know how those have worked out in the past... ) I might be able to give you a hand.
Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 12-30-2001 09:32:42 PM
yeah! yeah! so what do you guys say? let's set up a game
Cap'n Elethi
posted 12-30-2001 09:33:14 PM
That'd be great Art.

Either or.

Again, I'm not a very good DM, so if you don't like your first experience with DnD, please, give it another shot, LOL.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-30-2001 09:35:55 PM
*grins at AA*

Or your character's eyes being turned permanently yellow cause you had the bad luck to touch that door the same time our demon kender wild mage rogue thingie decided to throw some wild magic at it

Malbi
posted 12-30-2001 09:36:49 PM
I might be interested
I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Il Buono
posted 12-30-2001 09:37:31 PM
quote:
Lyinar had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Or your character's eyes being turned permanently yellow cause you had the bad luck to touch that door the same time our demon kender wild mage rogue thingie decided to throw some wild magic at it

That's not bad luck, thats a conspiracy!

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-30-2001 09:38:12 PM
No, it was bad luck

Shadefoot, the kender, is rather unpredictable at times

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 12-30-2001 09:50:18 PM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon had this to say about Pirotess:
I made a few new races for my own game. They're not the kinds of things you'd find in add-on books, so if you're interested in taking a look, check the races section here.

I sat in on part of Parcelan's game last night, and yeah, the roleplay was pretty good. I threw together Murdoc in 3E form with his original 2E history (short version, couldn't find the long one). I'm not yet certain if I'll have time, as it depends how comfortable things are with my new job (starting this Wednesday). However, it would be nice to join under someone else. It'd give me something to look forward to without the continuous responsibility of GMing.

It seems there is never a shortage of D&D players here, but almost no one has both the time and the experience to GM. That's why I decided to run mine in the first place. I couldn't find anyone to play under, and using a message board (which slows down gameplay) takes some of the load off of the GM.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

ArchAngel
Not a girl, never will be, no matter how much you may hear differently
posted 12-30-2001 10:03:15 PM
quote:
Demitri had this to say about Robocop:
That's not bad luck, thats a conspiracy!

I dunno, I'm more inclined to agree with him.

"What power would hell have if those imprisoned there could not dream of heaven?" -Dream, Sandman
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights, and lock the universe behind me as I leave." -Death, Sandman
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Dream, Sandman
Full sigpic image
Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 12-30-2001 10:08:56 PM
Ford, I like your races
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 12-30-2001 10:26:04 PM
Shall we play a game?

I need to brush up on my roleplaying ability. I encountered a small entourage of bandit hunters in DAoC a few days ago, and their honest-to-god in-character remarks caught me flatfooted.

"Put out that damned torch! There's an ambush just past the treeline, or I'm a fool..."
"Dah... yup... I seens 'em... hyuck hyuck."

I felt like such a goober

Anyway, colour me interested in a game But I'll have to get a crash course on those 3e rules.

[ED, EDD, AND EDIT] Yes, that's right. When I blush, I get the word "embarassed" printed in little black letters on my cheeks.

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: Sentow ]

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
nem-x
posted 12-31-2001 12:31:01 AM
I want to participate too, but I haven't played before.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: