EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Who's still playing WoW?
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 08-15-2012 09:00:33 AM
I miss my Asura rifle warrior. Come on, 25th!
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 08-15-2012 10:03:41 AM
quote:
Vin~ got served! Vin~ got served!
I'm on a trend where I am super excited about a game, play the beta for a week, then immediately become bored with it.

See, that sounds way more interesting than me, where I have played nothing but Minecraft and Star Trek Online for the last six months.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Maradon!
posted 08-15-2012 09:01:08 PM
Tera was kinda fun. I don't suppose GW2 will allow me to play as a rabbit?

A rabbit whose idle pose is the "It ain't gonna suck itself" stance?

nem-x
posted 08-15-2012 09:39:56 PM
So I played the GW2 stress test for an hour.
I wish it had Tera's combat or at least the targeting system, since there seemed to be a ton of targeted aoe abilities for the elementalist.

I have no idea what's going on with the ability changes depending on what weapon you use.

Willias
Pancake
posted 08-16-2012 12:04:20 AM
That's just how they decided to handle skills. Rather than cherry picking all of your abilities, different weapons come with different skill loadouts.

Also, each weapon type generally has some sort of theme to it as well (across all classes). Shields block or reduce damage. Staves are about long range and targeted AoE spells. Greatswords focus purely on damage output. And so on.

Most classes can carry two weapons at once and swap between them during combat (there's a cooldown to slow down how often you can change weapons though). Since you played an elementalist, rather than be able to have two weapons, your class mechanic gives you 4 different elemental stances to switch between, each with its own skill set (again based off of what weapon you're carrying).

Maradon!
posted 08-16-2012 12:25:50 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Willias who doth quote:
your class mechanic gives you 4 different elemental stances to switch between, each with its own skill set (again based off of what weapon you're carrying).

what

nem-x
posted 08-16-2012 01:37:16 AM
I could choose between the four elements, and each element had like 4+ skills.
I think I started out with a wand or something, then I switched to a dagger and I got entirely new skills for everything. Same thing with a staff.
Willias
Pancake
posted 08-17-2012 09:46:53 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Maradon! said:
what

Most character classes can equip two weapon sets at once. Different weapons have different skill sets.

The elementalist class mechanic are 4 elemental attunements. Each elemental attunement has its own unique set of weapon skills. This means that rather than have access to 10 weapon skills, elementalists have access to 20. There are a couple of things that offset this bonus: 1) Elementalists can only equip one weapon set. This means that all 4 attunements have somewhat similar abilities. 2) Abilities typically have longer cooldowns for elementalists than for other classes. This is to make Elementalists actually want to change attunement rather than just sit in Fire stance all day.

Fire is about damage and burning.
Water is about support and healing.
Air is about damage and control.
Earth is about defense and damage over time.

Check this page out for more info about classes, skills, and traits.

Willias fucked around with this message on 08-17-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Maradon!
posted 08-17-2012 05:08:06 PM
It looks like the old iron triangle is still in evidence.

Any time you see an interview with the kids at ArenaNet, they seem like real forward thinkers with great ideas. It always disappointed me that their work always ran so far afield of anything that I was interested in.

Now that it actually looks like they're making a game that I'd play, I wonder how or if they've managed to solve all the old problems with the genre. Healing is boring and tanking is a leadership position, given the option almost nobody will voluntarily do either.

I've seen GW tackle vitamin deficiencies inherent in the iron triangle with rather limited success. What, if anything, does ArenaNet have in mind, I wonder? I doubt even beta testers can say for sure without slogging through endgame content.

Willias
Pancake
posted 08-17-2012 06:35:12 PM
Old iron triangle? The holy trinity?

Doesn't exist in this game. There's no threat tables to manipulate and things hit too hard for tanks to be effective. Weapon skills or utility skills that have healing do not heal as much as actual healing skills (and all classes have 3 different healing skills they have to choose one from), don't heal enough to outpace constant damage intake, and usually have fairly long cooldowns.

Even water-focused elementalists with abilities that actively focus on healing or regeneration will be spending a lot of time not attuned to water. After all, there's no point in sitting in water attunement if your powerful spells (which in many cases are the ones that heal) are on cooldown, so they'll switch to another attunement for a while to continue to contribute to their group.

Guardians are probably the most support-centric class in GW2, and they focus more on short duration buffs that reduce or slow damage intake than actual healing. Warriors are probably the tankiest class in the game (highest armor, highest hp) but have very few abilities that reduce incoming damage (they can stop damage briefly with blocks and abilities that perform counter attacks, but these typically have lengthy cooldowns).

The best form of tanking is simply "don't get hit" and the best form of healing is "don't get hit", which means most situations in GW2 end up being very focused on constant mobility. If you're using a ranged weapon (note, all classes can use ranged weapons), then you want to circle-kite. If you're melee, you want to try to stay to an enemy's side or behind if possible unless using a counter ability.

Maradon!
posted 08-17-2012 08:44:45 PM
I still can't even imagine what you're describing. It sounds almost like Tera style action RPG except that I've heard it explicitly described as not like Tera.
Willias
Pancake
posted 08-17-2012 11:58:55 PM
Watch the videos on this playlist.

Seems to do a decent job at explaining some of the game's systems, or at least quickly searching didn't find anything better.

nem-x
posted 08-19-2012 02:07:50 PM
I wish I didn't watch a whole bunch of guild wars 2 videos because now I can't wait this one week until it's released. I was doing so well too.
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 08-21-2012 08:12:09 PM
quote:
nem-x posted

So I played the GW2 stress test for an hour.
I wish it had Tera's combat or at least the targeting system, since there seemed to be a ton of targeted aoe abilities for the elementalist.

This. Holy fuck does Guild Wars 2 need a fulltime targeting reticle and mouselook toggle.

Memorizing the icons for all the boons and conditions takes a while ("what the fuck does the leaf do again?"). I wish the icons were bigger. The UI in general feels sparse if you're used to a customized WoW UI that inundates you with data -- no range indicators, target health numbers, etc. Not really a big deal but a little annoying if that's what you're used to. Hoping they add a lot of this stuff back in over time.

Of course, my PC took a shit this week and I don't know if it'll be back together in time for the head start. Woe!

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 08-23-2012 12:33:50 PM
During the last stress test, I found an option that automatically fires an AOE centered on where your mouse is currently pointing when you activate the ability. Granted, you still need to be aware of your ranges and you have to activate the ability with your keyboard, not your mouse, but it helps a lot for quickly laying down AOEs where you want them without having to move the reticule around.
Maradon!
posted 08-25-2012 02:45:38 AM
So you have to choose one permanent server upon account activation and you can't change it without buying a transfer?

That's cute.

Maradon!
posted 08-25-2012 03:25:11 AM
The club can't even handle me right now

Maradon!
posted 08-26-2012 01:11:50 PM
The server list is easily the most retrograde, short sighted shit system I've run into in a modern MMO.

If your friend starts on the wrong server and you want to play with them, you're fucked, twenty bucks. If their server is "Full" even that won't help you.

If you want to join a particular guild and their server is full, you're fucked.

If your friends want to play with you and your server is full, they're fucked.

They could scarcely have designed the system any better if their intentions were to keep friends from playing with each other. Cross-server grouping just isn't a long term solution.

[edit: Apparently it isn't as bad as I thought it was, it's still an annoying system but you can at least wait for slots to open up on a full server.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 08-26-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Addy
posted 08-26-2012 01:43:02 PM
cool people rolled on maguuma
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: