EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: My game company
diadem
eet bugz
posted 04-09-2012 12:26:39 AM
massive progress since last posts. example includes talking to the COO of Steve Jackson Games about publishing to my platform and what steps I'd need to take to make that happen, support form the State of Massachusetts, help on monetization from C level execs at established facebook companies (including exposure into their finances), a connection with apples to apples, access to most kickstarter indy winners for the board game community to use my platform, a promising artists approached me about internship, and a lot more.

it's 12:53am so i can't elaborate but expect more input after the 11th when the deadline passes.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 04-09-2012 09:37:49 AM
Home: KONGRATE
Services: English speaking personsÂ… people all over the world

[edit] the ellipsis between "persons" and "people" doesn't actually appear on the site

Inferno-Spirit fucked around with this message on 04-09-2012 at 09:41 AM.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-16-2012 07:22:03 AM
Met with a few game industry execs to help for advice yesterday. Advice about licensing from Turbine (they have license to DND and LOTR among others), motorization from Zynga and a few other big names in the social space, and a bunch more. Yes, that includes the Evony folks, m'lord.

It's great to hear the perspectives and encouragement from people who have been there and succeed.

For the record, we are going with a free to play model. This allows us to gather as many customers as possible and get them engaged. We make our money a couple ways.
- Expansions. We sell boardgames, so that's an obvious one.
- Micropurchases. Note that unlike xbox live our accessories actually do tangible stuff (Example: by a new seat for your house? Anyone who plays a game on that seat gets additioanl virtual cash for every game played).
- Dual currency system. You can get cash in two ways - time spent on our game or thorugh real money. We are taking great pains to make sure people who put their time in don't feel cheated by people who put cash in.

Now that the business section relatively solidified (though we are still leanand will pivot if things don't work) expect the following

- A cross platform game of Liar's Dice. Play on facebook against people on the droid, iphone, kongergate, google+, etc.
- A virtual house where you can play against people (like Read Dead Redemption) and customize (like The Sims, which I have yet to purchase). Remember, customization yields bonuses. You'll have a bunch of free apocobucks when you start off so you can feel a sense of ownership in your house.
- A kickstarter to get the rights back to an old game to convert to our platform.
- Established boardgames and stressful indy games brought to the online space by us.
- Dialog between Fantasy Flight (Arkham Horror), Steve Jackson Games (Munchkin), Z-Man Games (Power Grid), and hopefully a few others about getting the rights to publish their games online. We already have contact with some of those type of companies, which is why I'm pushing the liar's dice to prove oruselves.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-16-2012 07:24:53 AM
quote:
Verily, Inferno-Spirit doth proclaim:
Home: KONGRATE
Services: English speaking personsÂ… people all over the world

[edit] the ellipsis between "persons" and "people" doesn't actually appear on the site

Which URL is this?

By the way, we are probably going to consolidate the site a bit and make it easier to read.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-16-2012 07:58:37 AM
To go with the theme of hosting games at a virtual house, we will also include pets.

- All pets add a bonus to xp depending on the morale and level. Pets require attention and affection. Neglected pets will lose xp and levels.
- If you go on vacation you can spend apocobucks to take your pet to a sitter.
- You can also let friends take charge of pets while you are gone, but you are limited to one pet per player unless you buy an additional slot.
- Indoor cats are low maintenance.
- Outdoor cats have a chance of catching fleas or getting in fights but bring items home randomly.
- Dogs can be taught tricks and have a once per day special ability.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 04-16-2012 09:02:23 AM
quote:
Ghost of Forums Past probably says this to all the girls:
Which URL is this?

By the way, we are probably going to consolidate the site a bit and make it easier to read.

http://apocoplay.com/

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-17-2012 07:40:03 AM
quote:
Inferno-Spirit was listening to Cher while typing:
http://apocoplay.com/

Thanks

Vin~
Crack Dealer
First One's Free!
posted 04-17-2012 03:51:53 PM
This really sparks my interest. Could this potentially support a tabletop pen and paper game?
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 04-17-2012 09:32:04 PM
Dude, you're a machine.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-17-2012 11:05:19 PM
Hard to keep up posting the progress. I'm only sticking with the big ones.

Made a lot of contacts with the boardgame prototyping meetup in the Cambridge Innovation Center (next to MIT Sloan), though that shouldn't be surprising.

Here's a snapshot of my current plans:
Tomorrow is the HTML 5 game development group, which has some really hardcore people in it.

Thursday the people at MIT are going to help us with our pitch at the PitchPub.

Working on incorporating Friday.

Coding over the weekend.

Meeting a bunch of contacts on Monday as well as making new ones at BostonIndies (an independent game developer meet up, though I think big names still stop by)

Tuesday is a Making Games with Azure as well as a bunch of other training stuff.

Wed is similar to Tue, only with Amazon AWS training.

Also a lot of webcasts on the side for things like Unity Games. Delegating a lot to people and need to keep dialogs with contacts.

Probably going to get space at the Cambridge Innovation Center. It'll serve as a backup if I don't get in MassChallenge (it'll be difficult seeing how new i am and how others had time to prepare) and as additional resources if I do. It's $250/month but worth it. A little iffy about the vC exposure, but it'll greatly increase my chances of getting into Ycombinator and Techstars.

Oh, more good things with Microsoft may be happening, plus a few other companies.

Also, there was a game prototype that I really took a liking to and thought "this needs to get publisehd." So I'm going to add it to our queue of things to publish.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 04-26-2012 07:37:02 AM
Update:

Delegating, delegating, delegating.

Most of my time this week was spent networking or at trainign events. The rest of the week will be raw coding and anti-burnout stuff.

I'm thinking of getting a passport, and escaping to the carrebian for a 3 day weekend some time this month so I can code games on the beach uninterrupted while sipping a drink with an umbrella in it.

edit: actually, it may be warm enough to do that here...

diadem fucked around with this message on 04-26-2012 at 07:40 AM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 05-04-2012 08:23:13 PM
Looks like the Apocoplay tshirts are in

Pics

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: