EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Fitness nerds? We have some, right?
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 09-01-2011 06:36:46 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Punky Brewster:
Not specifically, but I've found that simply tracking what you eat is a huge way to get diet under control. I'm currently using an iOS app called MyNetDiary. I only use the iPad app, so don't know what the web thing is like, but any free system that lets you input food and exercise and give you various graphs & targets will get you thinking about what you eat, and that's the main goal.

You also have to decide on which of two approaches to diet/exercise you prefer: you can eat to exercise, or exercise to eat. I do the latter--I exercise so I can eat what I want within reason (I like food!) and still meet my goals. But you can also treat food as simply fuel for the machine and get as scientific as you want. The best middle approach is to keep a sane balance of protein, carbs, and fat.

For a healthy diet, neither protein nor fat should be the majority source of your calories. I shoot for protein and fat to be about 20% each of calories, and the rest carbs. But there's also a lot of difference between carbs, and if you keep to the whole grain and veggie (instead of sugar) kind, you're doing a lot of necessary things for your body.

Yeah, I used MyFitnessPal on my Android and before that I used MyNetDiary on my iPod Touch. I effing love them.

Number 1 Poster
posted 09-01-2011 07:45:25 PM
quote:
Bloodsage got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Oh, and there's this recent ranking of diets by a group of experts. You'll notice that Atkins and Paleo are ranked 19 & 20, respectively, in the list of 20 diets ranked according to a variety of factors.

Also: hard to argue with their qualifications.

I'm just gonna link the SA thread which has a shit ton of why low carb is better than a high carbohydrate diet. It's quite the read and has more sources than you can shake a stick at!

And while I am just going to glance over your links, I don't feel like picking apart a ton of different diets but Nina has it right when most, if not all, of the diets have an overwhelming 'NO', the atkins ones have more 'Yes's then the high carb ones. The veggie and vegan ones are higher because every meat hater will vote 'YES' even when it doesn't make them lose weights.

Have you heard of the Weston A Price foundation? Here is there critic of the American Guidelines for children which they are strongly against. Guess what they recommend? Fats and proteins.

Have you noticed that diabetes really ramped up in the 60s(70s?). Ever since the american guidelines put everyone in America in a lab test of 'FATS BAD CARBS GOOD', Hey look at the obesity rates go up.

Here is a registered dietician telling you that you won't get paid unless you tell your patients to eat follow the American food guidelines.
(She's pretty cute but you can just tell she's ice cold).

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-01-2011 07:46:31 PM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabbits doth run and play while Nina gently hums:
What, Mediterranean diet is a "thing"?

Also, what's up with all the "No" answers to "Did this diet work for you?". Having no willpower doesn't mean a diet isn't working. (And why is Eco-Atkins the only one with overwhelming positive responses?)

No idea; didn't read the comments.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Number 1 Poster
posted 09-01-2011 07:46:49 PM
quote:
How.... Monica.... uughhhhhh:
I follow a guy on Twitter that swears by tracking, I think they're called, macro nutrients. Know anything about that nonsense? He's lost like 70 pounds and is reportedly in the best shape of his life, but I also know he works out like a maniac.

Macro nutrients are Carbohydrates/Fat/Protein.

A low carb diet is usually around 10/60/30%

Most people stay to around 50-100 carbs a day.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-01-2011 07:54:26 PM
quote:
Quoth Jesus:
I'm just gonna link the SA thread which has a shit ton of why low carb is better than a high carbohydrate diet. It's quite the read and has more sources than you can shake a stick at!

And while I am just going to glance over your links, I don't feel like picking apart a ton of different diets but Nina has it right when most, if not all, of the diets have an overwhelming 'NO', the atkins ones have more 'Yes's then the high carb ones. The veggie and vegan ones are higher because every meat hater will vote 'YES' even when it doesn't make them lose weights.

Have you heard of the Weston A Price foundation? Here is there critic of the American Guidelines for children which they are strongly against. Guess what they recommend? Fats and proteins.

Have you noticed that diabetes really ramped up in the 60s(70s?). Ever since the american guidelines put everyone in America in a lab test of 'FATS BAD CARBS GOOD', Hey look at the obesity rates go up.

Here is a registered dietician telling you that you won't get paid unless you tell your patients to eat follow the American food guidelines.
(She's pretty cute but you can just tell she's ice cold).

Yes, of course I'll consider an SA thread as better proof than the considered opinions of actual experts! Dumbass.

The question at hand isn't which diet is best for short-term weight loss; the question is what diet is healthiest long term.

As a general rule, when it comes to issues of health, it's safer to be mainstream than fringe. But, like I said, the best place to get nutrition advice is an actual nutritionist/dietitian, rather than the intarwebs.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 09-02-2011 12:32:16 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Punky Brewster:
Yes, of course I'll consider an SA thread as better proof than the considered opinions of actual experts! Dumbass.

The question at hand isn't which diet is best for short-term weight loss; the question is what diet is healthiest long term.

As a general rule, when it comes to issues of health, it's safer to be mainstream than fringe. But, like I said, the best place to get nutrition advice is an actual nutritionist/dietitian, rather than the intarwebs.

I don't like to see someone claim 'proof' from an online-only newspaper and proceed to claim that other online sources are disreputable (I know US News/World Report was once a decently large magazine; now they just focus on top-ten lists). The proof consists of an incredibly brief survey that the 22 experts could fill out in under two minutes, and then get referenced in an article written by journalists, not medical experts.

Here are a few more reputable links:
American Diabetes Association, JAMA, New England Journal of Medicine, ADA (again)

Note: I'm not actually for or against any particular diet plan, and I completely agree that the best solution is a nutritionist who can customize things for you. They're like the personal trainers of the diet world, though: after two visits, their function is more to guilt you than to teach you something you don't already know.

Still, I think the question at hand isn't a matter of diet (one doesn't lose 80 pounds without some decent eating habits) but a matter of exercise regarding weight loss.

In the first post, Monica said she was hoping for a weight routine to be adequate, and that's pretty much the case (just don't skip cardio totally): Women's Health, Washington Post

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Peter
Pancake
posted 09-02-2011 05:51:04 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Inferno-Spirit:
[URL=http://www.forecast.diabetes.org/news/low-carb-diet-improves-type-2-diabetes-control]American Diabetes Association[/URL ....

Uh that looks just like a reposted news tidbit lacking backing, and I would take it with a grain a salt cause any one with Diabetes would be causeing a big risk on going into ketoacidosis on a low carb, high protien diet.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 09-02-2011 09:42:52 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Peter said this:
Uh that looks just like a reposted news tidbit lacking backing, and I would take it with a grain a salt cause any one with Diabetes would be causeing a big risk on going into ketoacidosis on a low carb, high protien diet.

It's sourced as Nutrition and Metabolism, so no, it doesn't really look like a re-posted news tidbit lacking backing.

Also this and this.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-02-2011 11:48:15 AM
I think I'd take fitness advice from someone who's been in the armed forces for many years rather than interwebs people yanking pages from the interwebs.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 09-04-2011 08:55:05 AM
My sister is a dietitian.
Addy
posted 09-08-2011 12:37:58 AM
quote:
Nina had this to say about dark elf butts:
What, Mediterranean diet is a "thing"?

Also, what's up with all the "No" answers to "Did this diet work for you?". Having no willpower doesn't mean a diet isn't working. (And why is Eco-Atkins the only one with overwhelming positive responses?)

Yes, it's a thing. The Mayo Clinic definitely pushes for it over Atkins, that's for sure. To be fair, it's partly because they get visitors from all over the world. But I know for a fact it's an option you can choose as one of your diets while hospitalized for other purposes.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 09-10-2011 06:59:21 AM
quote:
Blindy. got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
My sister is a dietitian.

My dietitian is a sista.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: