EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: City of Heroes!
Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 04-26-2008 08:29:30 PM
I'd like to play on Freedom, but at the times I play there's too many people on that server.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 04-26-2008 09:03:21 PM
Invention stuff! Here's how invention shit works.

Standard/Generic Invention Origin (IO) enhancements :

Standard invention origin enhancements are kind of like SO/DO's. They enhance one characteristic, like accuracy or recharge. They cannot be combined, and they cannot be found - they have to be crafted or bought. They scale in power from around 12% at level 10, to 42% at level 50. The great thing about them is they never go red, so they never need to be replaced unless you just want a stronger version. A level 25 IO is just a tiny bit worse than a Single Origin enhancement, so most people deck themselves out with level 25 IO's and not replace them until high high level (Thus saving a lot of money).

To make an IO, you need two things : A recipe and salvage. You can buy the recipe from an invention table (Expensive), you can get it as a drop (Unreliable), or you can get it from the Auction House (Your best bet). Then get the necessary salvage from the AH or drops. Finally, go to the invention table and make the damn thing.

Or just buy it from the AH. more expensive but easier.

Set Enhancements -

Set enhancements are similar to the standard IO's, but they work as a set. They can't be bought at stores, just from the AH or found as drops. Most sets have one or two single-type enhancements, then several dual-type (Accuracy/recharge, accuracy/damage, damage/recharge, etc) and even some three-type. they also give you bonuses. Here's an example :

Set 'Positron's Blast', type Targetted AoE Enhancements

Positron's Blast: Accuracy/Damage,
Positron's Blast: Damage/Endurance,
Positron's Blast: Damage/Recharge,
Positron's Blast: Damage/Range,
Positron's Blast: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance, and
Positron's Blast: Chance for extra Energy Damage (20%).

Set bonuses :

Two enhancements increases Recovery by 2.5%.
Three enhancements increases Fire and Cold Resistance by 1.58%.
Four enhancements improves the Accuracy of all your powers by 9%.
Five enhancements improves the Recharge of all your powers by 6.25%.
Six enhancements increases Toxic Resistance by 3.13%.

Any power can have only 1 of each of these (You could two Accuracy/damage enhancements into 2 different powers, but not in the same power)

If you've got two targetted AoE powers with a full set, then you've boosted your endurance recovery by 5%, your recharge on ALL powers by 12.5% and accuracy on all powers by 18%, plus gotten all the bonuses the set gives. The last enhancement means anytime you use the set, say, in fireball you get a 20% chance to do extra damage.

Alone, most sets are kind of weak but you stack three or four benefits together and it becomes real great real fast.

Notable sets :

Each travel power has a rare set +stealth enhancement, which gives your basic fly/super speed/super jump/teleport a +stealth effect.

Rare heal sets (Miracle, Numina's Convalescence, Regenerative Tissue) have global +regen/+recovery bonuses.

Rare defense/resist sets have Psionic resistance (which few sets have) and status resistances (Which most non-tank/scrapper/stalker classes don't get).

One extremely rare tohit buff enhancement even gives a chance for a build-up effect (Put it in tactics, the toggle +accuracy power, for a 20% chance of build up every 10 seconds).

Very Rare Enhancements (Purpz) -

Very Rare IO Sets are IO sets that only drop as level 50 recipes. They provide stronger enhancement bonuses and stronger set bonuses than normal. Also, their set bonuses are available at all levels even when exemplaring (When you artificially lower your level to play with lower-level friends), unlike other sets. To balance these strengths, Very Rare IOs can only be slotted by level 50 characters, and every single one is Unique (So you can only ever have just 1 of them slotted into ANY power).

Every single one of the purple sets are amazing, here's a link to their effects : http://cityofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Very_Rare_IO_Sets

Khyron fucked around with this message on 04-26-2008 at 09:36 PM.

Xian
Pancake
posted 04-27-2008 12:15:34 PM
I just happened to start playing this game again, while looking for a break from WoW. Currently on the Infinity server, just joined an rp super group. Has a sorta Xmen school for gifted students type thing going on.

Here it is, Zephyr X the Storm/Elec Defender. As mentioned the sg I am in is portrayed as a school, that's the school uniform I'm wearing.

Xian fucked around with this message on 04-27-2008 at 05:20 PM.

Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 04-28-2008 11:49:13 PM
I just went to explore Siren's Call out of boredom. Turns out I walked into a PvP zone that's not as empty as it seems.

Now I've got a ton of xp debt to get rid of.

didn't lose xp to the two villains in the place, but rather the huge amount of mobs I ended up fighting alone. There's no xp lost from PvP death

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 04-29-2008 04:06:56 PM
Playing on Protector, @Toriad

Taeldian fucked around with this message on 04-29-2008 at 04:51 PM.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 04-29-2008 04:58:04 PM
Sen. McCarthy Thug/Poison MM

The Soviet Storm Fire/Elec Brute

For Maradon.

Xian
Pancake
posted 04-29-2008 06:09:57 PM
Cmon, I'm supposed to be the trend starter of posting your own chars pics. I want to see what kinda suits you guys made up.
Maradon!
posted 04-29-2008 06:25:09 PM
Joe McCarthy was a bit indelicate but basically right about everything.

Also, almost everything you know about him is wrong.

anyway, here's the character I been playing mostly: Robotics/Traps mastermind, The Master Scientist

Aaron (the good one)
posted 04-29-2008 06:41:32 PM
This game is boring
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Nina
posted 04-29-2008 08:15:45 PM
Someone give me a reactivation code so I can fight my villain urges and go back to GTA IV instead.
Khyron
posted 04-30-2008 08:17:34 AM
quote:
Nina had this to say about pies:
Someone give me a reactivation code so I can fight my villain urges and go back to GTA IV instead.

PM me your current e-mail. If it's the one in your profile, it's already sent.

Nina
posted 04-30-2008 09:18:48 AM
Already got one just last night, but thanks. :)
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-30-2008 01:54:45 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Maradon! squealed:
Joe McCarthy was a bit indelicate but basically right about everything.

Also, almost everything you know about him is wrong.

This from the review rather than the propaganda sheet:

quote:
Evans is also given to conspiracy thinking—an approach that, by its nature, yields claims that can neither be confirmed nor falsified. Defense attorneys and debaters like Evans follow different rules than historians—they try to score points, not to advance knowledge.

My money still says McCarthy got everything he deserved.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Khyron
posted 05-01-2008 07:39:18 PM
Worst part of making a new hero or villain is coming up with a name that hasn't been used =/
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 05-01-2008 08:17:01 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Khyron wrote:
Worst part of making a new hero or villain is coming up with a name that hasn't been used =/
Kennatsu
posted 05-01-2008 10:10:34 PM
quote:
Khyron probably says this to all the girls:

Made a character on Freedom and found out the name I wanted was taken. I had to settle with a villain name of "Cruel Gunner".

Khyron
posted 05-03-2008 03:56:31 PM
FYI for those 25 and up : Get a friend (I can do it if you're on one of the goon servers) to open up an ouroboros portal and enter it. Go tot he top of the ouroboros structure for an exploration badge. This badge gives you the Ouroboros Portal power, which lets you port straight to Ouroboros. the best part about it, though, is it can be used to instaport around to various zones Not every zone in the game, but a ton of them.
Kennatsu
posted 05-03-2008 06:12:43 PM
quote:
Khyron obviously shouldn't have said:
FYI for those 25 and up : Get a friend (I can do it if you're on one of the goon servers) to open up an ouroboros portal and enter it. Go tot he top of the ouroboros structure for an exploration badge. This badge gives you the Ouroboros Portal power, which lets you port straight to Ouroboros. the best part about it, though, is it can be used to instaport around to various zones Not every zone in the game, but a ton of them.

I don't know how I did it, but I got that power without having to do any of that.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 05-03-2008 07:07:53 PM
quote:
Kennatsu painfully thought these words up:
I don't know how I did it, but I got that power without having to do any of that.

You also get it if you do any sort of story arc involving time travel, but can't use it until 25 if you get it sooner.

Khyron
posted 05-04-2008 12:31:15 PM
Tired of running past the mission glowies and not realising it? Can't finish your mission because you just can't find that last wall safe/bomb/whatever? Have no fear, this is the perfect addition for you.

Download this file :

http://rapidshare.com/files/112509155/Objective_loop.ogg.html

In your City of Heroes folder, create the following path :

<City of Heroes>\data\Sound\Ogg\FrontEnd\

And place the Objective_loop.ogg file in that folder. Bam! Every glowy in the game becomes loud and easy to find. This replaces the glowy sound with some... appropriate music.

Along the same lines, just for fun, here's a new level up sound :

http://rapidshare.com/files/112510856/levelup7.ogg.html

Stick it in the same 'FrontEnd' folder that the Objective_loop.ogg goes into. It's hilarious

Khyron fucked around with this message on 05-04-2008 at 12:45 PM.

Khyron
posted 05-04-2008 12:47:49 PM
More info on Issue 12 :

The Midnight Squad
JOIN THE MIDNIGHT SQUAD (LEVELS 10 - 20)
The clandestine organization of mystics, scholars and mages, known only as the Midnight Squad, seeks to rebuild its numbers since the devastating assault of the Rikti Invasion. The Midnighters hold a secret that could bring the alien assault to an end, but without the help of the Heroes of Paragon City™ it will remain Lost forever.

NEW ROMAN-STYLE ZONE MAPS (LEVELS 35 - 50)
The Midnighters hold many secrets within their walls, including a highly coveted Ouroboros crystal, enabling them to travel to the far reaches of time. There is a familiar threat in an ancient land and the Midnighters need the help of both Heroes and Villains to stop it. Players step foot upon the ancient land of the Roman Cimeroran Peninsula, where they battle deadly creatures, defend an ancient city and ultimately come face to face with the enemy of time itself. Throughout this journey players uncover the mysteries of power and the origins that guide them today.

UNLOCK ROMAN-STYLE ARMOR COSTUMES
Through their accomplishments, players unlock the new Roman themed armor costume set.

Major Gameplay Improvements

Eight configurable new power trays let players customize their User Interface by placing them anywhere on the screen.

Contact display redesign: Contacts are now listed separately as Active and Inactive, and players can sort contacts by a range of criteria including Name, Zone, and Level Range.

Inspiration Conversion: Right click an inspiration to convert three of that kind into any one inspiration of another kind.

Level Up Boost: Upon reaching enough XP to level up (at all levels), one of each type of large inspiration is immediately cast upon your character, and health and endurance bars are immediately filled.

Chat improvements: Right click on character names in chat window to ignore, add to friends list, invite to team, etc. Drag any item (enhancement, inspiration, salvage, etc.) into the chat window so that you and others can click a hotlink to view the complete info box.

More Real Numbers: Players can now display stats on powers before they choose them enabling more informed power selection and new temporary powers allow players to display enemy stats.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-04-2008 06:11:00 PM
I really like the look of Champions Online, but if it's made by the same company.. aren't they just shooting themselves in the foot?

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 05-04-2008 07:07:52 PM
Since NCSoft bought CoH from Cryptic, they're no longer affiliated with the game. Cryptic is now using what was left of the defunct Marvel Universe Online to create Champions Online.
Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-04-2008 07:45:21 PM
Ah, cool. Champions looks a billion times better, but it's prudent to wait and see what the gameplay is like.

I'm loving the cell-shaded comic book look.

Steven Steve
posted 05-04-2008 08:38:19 PM
Yeah, I thought it was kind of strange that CoH wasn't cel-shaded in the first place. Comic book characters in an ostensibly pseudo-realistic art style? Odd.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Maradon!
posted 05-04-2008 09:34:05 PM
I guess I'm unique in that I think everything cel shaded looks sloppy and stupid.
Khyron
posted 05-04-2008 10:37:17 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Mortious:
Ah, cool. Champions looks a billion times better, but it's prudent to wait and see what the gameplay is like.

People are calling Champions to CoH as Vanguard is to EQ.

I have no idea if that's accurate or not! I'm just reporting what I've heard

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 05-04-2008 10:45:20 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Mortious wrote:

Mixed reactions on that. Some people love it, some people hate it. Cryptic is calling it "Comic-Shading." A hybrid of typical cell shading, with texturing and bump mapping to still maintain the 3D appearance of the models.

I totally dig it too.

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-04-2008 11:28:23 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Maradon! said this:
I guess I'm unique in that I think everything cel shaded looks sloppy and stupid.

Sloppy?

Maradon!
posted 05-04-2008 11:49:41 PM
quote:
x--KegwenO-('-'Q) :
Sloppy?

Like they couldn't be bothered to texture anything or add any ambient or surface details.

I know the lack of any textures or ambient and surface details is a part of "the style", but it still feels like something made by a freshman at digipen to me.

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 05-04-2008 11:51:54 PM
It's similar to peoples' complaints about WoW graphics, I guess.
Maradon!
posted 05-05-2008 12:11:57 AM
More or less yeah
Nina
posted 05-05-2008 08:24:13 PM
quote:
Steven Steve had this to say about Pirotess:
Yeah, I thought it was kind of strange that CoH wasn't cel-shaded in the first place.

Because the IBM/PS3 Cell processor didn't exist back then!

Kennatsu
posted 05-07-2008 07:30:50 PM
quote:
Sakkra had this to say about John Romero:
You also get it if you do any sort of story arc involving time travel, but can't use it until 25 if you get it sooner.

That explains it. On Guardian server, I was the healer on a team doing a lot of missions when I get a dialogue box saying that I've been entrusted with a secret.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 05-09-2008 01:03:03 AM
The villain epic archetypes are ridiculous. They all get leadership powers in their secondary, as well as in their power pools, allowing them to double-stack. They also have very high buff numbers, so even a few on the team will basically cap everyone's defensive value.
nem-x
posted 05-09-2008 01:28:44 AM
Cavalier-
Pancake
posted 05-09-2008 01:40:48 AM
The VEATs are available in open Beta atm (on the Test Server), however they are a little (haha!) unbalanced at the moment...

Example, you can turn on one of the Widow's defensive powers, and instead of just negating damage, it REGENRATES the damage.. You end up with green floaty numbers over your head constantly..

Khyron
posted 05-09-2008 08:57:36 AM
quote:
Cavalier- had this to say about Optimus Prime:
The VEATs are available in open Beta atm (on the Test Server), however they are a little (haha!) unbalanced at the moment...

Example, you can turn on one of the Widow's defensive powers, and instead of just negating damage, it REGENRATES the damage.. You end up with green floaty numbers over your head constantly..

It was fixed internally before the open beta ever went live, they just have yet to fix it on the test server. Though they're still pretty amazing even without the +health bug. Though that's not even the best part, the QoL changes are amazing as well.

• Mastermind pets made pushable. Masterminds will no longer be blocked by their pets. Players on the same side as the mastermind will be able to move pets out of the way significantly faster. Enemies’ ability to push pets has remained unchanged.
  • You can now combine 3 inspirations of the same type and strength into a different inspiration of the same strength, this is accessible via the context menu for qualified inspirations
  • Most user options can now be saved to file and loaded from file. If a default setting file is saved, all newly created characters will use the default file to set initial options. The options window has buttons added to save and load default files. Non-default files can be saved and loaded via slash commands.
  • Character slots in the character selection screen can now be reorganized by dragging and dropping. The sort order is stored in a file on the client, but only if “Remember Account Name” is checked.
  • Missions’ headers now show the level of the mission.
  • Palador ChibiDragon
    Dismembered
    posted 05-13-2008 12:12:42 PM
    I need to check back on these boards more often...

I play on Virtue, and yes I do RP. Global names: "@Palador" and "@Rabid Metroid".

If you go to Virtue, you'll find Pocket D much busier than it is on most other servers. It's a RP hot spot, but it can be hard to break into the RP there. You may also encounter some... non-Rated Teen stuff there, so consider yourself warned.

Alot of us are looking forward to the Midnighter Club hitting live, so we have a better place for hero/villian RP than a nightclub in some other dimension.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
    Maradon!
    posted 05-13-2008 04:50:56 PM
    I can only imagine what the RP is like in a game that's basically soccer-mom friendly.
    All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: