EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Extended FF13 and Versus 13 trailers.
Peter
Pancake
posted 12-20-2007 02:14:15 AM
quote:
LeMiere had this to say about Knight Rider:
..., while boss battles were often challenging. ....

Hmmm, Maybe I just did things different, but I thought all the boss battles were to easy. The only battle that I found challenging was Gilgamesh, Which I happen to think is one of the top parts of the game.

I hope that they do decide to use that style of game engine and that FF setting in another mainstream game again. Heck I wouldn't mind seeing the setting they used in 8 brought back, as long they keep the junction system safely buried.

Also think that X-2 was a fairly good follow up to X, And the change in mood fitted well. The mini games seemed no worse to me than some other's games pointless collecting or fighting insane-o kill you in one turn bosses.

I wouldn't mind seeing Square experiment more with their games/settings, a more refined version of Dirge of Cerberus or Vagrant Story style game. .

Gadani
U
posted 12-20-2007 02:34:11 AM
I didn't [attempt to] play Final Fantasy 7 until a few years ago, but I thought it sucked.

Honestly, I don't see why it's lauded as the greatest game ever by some people, much less the greatest Final Fantasy game.

But, then again, I liked Final Fantasy 8, 10, and 12. Also my favorite was whichever one has Kefka and Terra because I played that one first when I was like 8.

Skaw
posted 12-20-2007 02:38:53 AM
If you don't like Final Fantasy 4, you hate RPGs.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 12-20-2007 04:05:56 AM
quote:
Gadani probably says this to all the girls:
I didn't [attempt to] play Final Fantasy 7 until a few years ago, but I thought it sucked.

Honestly, I don't see why it's lauded as the greatest game ever by some people, much less the greatest Final Fantasy game.

But, then again, I liked Final Fantasy 8, 10, and 12. Also my favorite was whichever one has Kefka and Terra because I played that one first when I was like 8.

If you're playing it a few years ago, sure.. it sucked. But when it first came out, it was decent.

I had to play through it three times before I got the whole cloud backstory though. It sucked having my sister play while I was away and skip whole big parts of the storyline (Like him getting sucked into the lifestream).

edit: And I liked 8 10 and 12. I recind my earlier comment about it, I was just bitter about the grinding.

Delphi Aegis fucked around with this message on 12-20-2007 at 04:06 AM.

Maradon!
posted 12-20-2007 07:06:14 AM
quote:
Asha'maning:
I didn't give X-2 much of a chance -- after the somewhat bleak and serious tone of X, X-2's ditzy pop and mini-game bias discouraged me from expecting any worthwhile character development. Are you saying it's actually worth playing through the monkey match-making bullshite to see what happens to Yuna?

If the bubblegum charlie's angels thing is all that was driving you away, then I'd say yes.

It's not just Yuna's epilogue. You see what happens to all of spira... exhaustively. One entire chapter is dedicated to voyeuristic spying on all the locations in Spira and you end up seeing little slices of life from all of them.

The game is 100% pure minigames though, so that might piss you off, but if you've ever wondered what goes on in an FF after the main character gets the powerup and wins the game, X-2 satisfies that curiosity.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 12-20-2007 09:17:37 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
FF13? Well, the only people excited about it are Gainsborough, Tier and probably Azmyth and Archangel.

I care even about FF13 as much as I care about MGS4.

Not at all.

The best FFs imo are

1) The first half of FF6
1.5) FF7
2) The second half of FF6
3) FF5
4) FF2
5) FF4

And that's the word.

Mr. Gainsborough fucked around with this message on 12-20-2007 at 09:19 AM.

Tier
posted 12-20-2007 07:04:47 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Mr. Parcelan:
Well, the only people excited about it are Gainsborough, Tier and probably Azmyth and Archangel.

I don't hype myself about unreleased games, ever. It only leads to disappointment.

I only mock those who say the series died after FF7, considering FF7 is terrible storytelling.

Maradon!
posted 12-20-2007 07:16:39 PM
SOME OF THE GAMES WEREN'T THAT GREAT SO THEY SHOULD JUST STOP TRYING SERIOUSLY GUYS THAT'S THE KEY TO SUCCESS
Alaan
posted 12-20-2007 07:41:44 PM
I'd rather Squeenix focus more energy on making new games than releasing FF4 for the 8th time.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 12-21-2007 05:02:15 AM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough had this to say about (_|_):
I care even about FF13 as much as I care about MGS4.

Not at all.

The best FFs imo are

1) The first half of FF6
1.5) FF7
2) The second half of FF6
3) FF5
4) FF2
5) FF4

And that's the word.

The best FF is obviously FF Tactics. And I haven't even played that.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Greenlit
posted 12-21-2007 12:48:18 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Tarquinn said:
The best FF is obviously FF Tactics.

Anyone who argues with that can be proven scientifically wrong.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 12-21-2007 01:16:00 PM
FF Tactics has never been an FF game.

Especially now that there's gonna be 3 of them.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 12-21-2007 04:57:27 PM
quote:
It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh! I was called here by Mr. Gainsborough who wishes to pay me tribute!
FF Tactics has never been an FF game.

Especially now that there's gonna be 3 of them.

FF Tactics Advance != FF Tactics.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Skaw
posted 12-21-2007 05:01:21 PM
That might be true, but A2 seems to beg to differ.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 12-21-2007 at 05:01 PM.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 12-21-2007 11:57:55 PM
quote:
Densetsu wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
FF Tactics Advance != FF Tactics.

It's still in the same series of games whether it was good or not.

Final Fantasy 9 was not that great, but it's not like I go around saying it's not an FF game.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 12-22-2007 12:29:53 AM
I have no real interest in 13. My interest has dropped more and more with each one. With the exception of Tactics, it seems that after leaving console, they couldn't have a game that was full of plot holes and unlikable main characters.

Azymyth fucked around with this message on 12-22-2007 at 12:31 AM.

I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 12-22-2007 01:00:47 AM
quote:
What is a Mr. Gainsborough? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!
It's still in the same series of games whether it was good or not.

Final Fantasy 9 was not that great, but it's not like I go around saying it's not an FF game.

I don't understand how you can say Tactics is not an FF game.

The brand name being on it aside, it has many, many staples of the Final fantasy series:

Save the world plot
Chocobos
Summons
Job system
FF jobs
FF spells
FF items
Turn-based combat
Random encounters
Storylines told through battles
Ramza wears a butt-plate.

But it's not a Final Fantasy. Um...why again?

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 12-22-2007 01:03:44 AM
I'm pretty sure he didn't disagree with you on that point
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 12-22-2007 01:15:55 AM
Because it's an Tactics game?

I think there's quite enough TRPGs nowadays to separate them from the normal free roaming JRPGs nowadays. I mean yeah obviously they're gonna have the same stuff in them. That's what offshoot series' do. Dirge of Cerberus and Chocobo Tales have a bunch of stuff in common with the main series, but I don't consider those straight up FF games.

I mean yeah the namesake is the same, but I'm not really arguing about anything other than the standard JRPG main series of games, which FFT is not a part of. If it was, it would've been called FF8. (I think that's where it fell in the release date timeline.)

Mr. Gainsborough fucked around with this message on 12-22-2007 at 01:16 AM.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 12-22-2007 01:24:24 AM
I'll concede that it's not a main (re: numbered) FF game. But it is still FF nonetheless, and is more faithful to it than almost every other offshoot.

Yes, it brought the TRPG genre to the forefront all by itself, and is definitely not the typical JRPG.

It's still Final Fantasy.

[edit: Too many buts]

Densetsu fucked around with this message on 12-22-2007 at 01:25 AM.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 12-22-2007 01:26:55 AM
Go go arguing semantics. (that's all this is)
Tarquinn
posted 12-22-2007 01:33:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwQN1P9TlDM&NR=1
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-22-2007 05:07:53 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Tarquinn wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwQN1P9TlDM&NR=1

Hahaha, an amusing youtube video. The internet is a strange and fascinating thing in which we can share anything that strikes our particular fancy at any moment, no matter how seemingly irrelevant it is to the conversation! In Germany, they take their internet for granted, rolling about in their curios and brick-a-brack with wild abandon. In America, we have to toil for it.

Yo Gains, what are some other good TRPGs? Was Luminous Arc any good?

Tarquinn
posted 12-22-2007 05:38:42 AM
You want random videos?! You can't handle random videos!/
Talonus
Loner
posted 12-22-2007 08:05:34 AM
quote:
Densetsu painfully thought these words up:
I'll concede that it's not a main (re: numbered) FF game. But it is still FF nonetheless, and is more faithful to it than almost every other offshoot.

Yes, it brought the TRPG genre to the forefront all by itself, and is definitely not the typical JRPG.

It's still Final Fantasy.

[edit: Too many buts]

It's really a Tactics Ogre game with a FF skin. It wasn't even really made by Square.

quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about John Romero:
Yo Gains, what are some other good TRPGs? Was Luminous Arc any good?

On what systems are you looking for?

Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 12-22-2007 10:25:56 AM
quote:
Talonus said this about your mom:
[QB][/QB]

Actually made by the Tactics Ogre guys if I recall.

I loved Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre. I have to this day still never finished them though. I really need to.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-22-2007 12:57:38 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Tarquinn squealed:
You want random videos?! You can't handle random videos!/

I laughed way too hard at that.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 12-22-2007 02:30:31 PM
Heroes of Mana seemed kinda neat, but it's more of an RTS than a TRPG.

Luminous Arc got good reviews, but I didn't play it. Since you have a DS and no PSP, your choices are one of the Fire Emblems, one of the Advance Wars, or wait for FF Tactics Advance 2 to come out. There's also Tactics Ogre GBA and a Shining Force or two for GBA, but I don't think they were very good.

I could be wrong though!

Also, there's the new PS2 NIS game Soul Nomad if you like the Disgaea bullshit.

Do you have Advance Wars: Dual Strike? I'm thinking that's your best bet and you'd probably dig it. Might want to try and find a copy on SA Mart or something. There's usually one for 20 or 25, but they go quick since it's rare.

Mr. Gainsborough fucked around with this message on 12-22-2007 at 02:34 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-22-2007 04:51:23 PM
quote:
Talonus had this to say about Optimus Prime:
On what systems are you looking for?

DS

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 12-23-2007 12:05:36 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
DS

There's a new Advance Wars coming out soon too.

YOU SHOULD GO PREORDER IT AT GAMESTOP TODAY!

Gadani
U
posted 12-23-2007 01:09:06 AM
I preordered Mass Effect at Gamestop.

I haven't gotten it yet.

Skaw
posted 12-23-2007 01:37:13 AM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Do you have Advance Wars: Dual Strike? I'm thinking that's your best bet and you'd probably dig it. Might want to try and find a copy on SA Mart or something. There's usually one for 20 or 25, but they go quick since it's rare.

The next one is due out soon, but it's kind of a drastic change, style wise. It's still going to play the same, but the art is a little more gritty and darker. Not as much animu compared to the last 3.

Tarquinn
posted 12-23-2007 06:05:29 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Bloodsage said:
I laughed way too hard at that.

This one works even better.

Talonus
Loner
posted 12-23-2007 10:16:11 AM
quote:
How.... Mr. Parcelan.... uughhhhhh:
DS

I can't really think of any SRPG games for the DS other than Luminous Arc, Hoshigami, Panzer Tactics, FFXII: Revenant Wings, and Heroes of Mana (and the latter two are RTS games). I'm not sure I can really recommend any of those except for FFXII, but I haven't played that yet.

If you've got a R4 to play SNES/NES games, the list expands. Even moreso if you've got a slot 2 card to play GBA games. I'd say some of the best SRPG games have come out for the PS/PS2 though.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-23-2007 03:52:26 PM
quote:
Tarquinn startled the peaceful upland Gorillas, blurting:
This one works even better.

I ROFL'd. "Now poop on them Oliver," indeed.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: