EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The Superior Mass Effect Thread
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 11-21-2007 09:42:21 PM
quote:
Asha'man posted

It's pretty simple, if the store stocked up before Leopard came out, it'll come with Tiger. All the computers we order now come with Leopard, but we're slowly selling off our Tiger stock.

Yeah, but I was under the impression that stores would give you Leopard DVDs if they sold you a system that had Tiger on it.

Maradon!
posted 11-21-2007 09:55:51 PM
quote:
x--AlidaneO-('-'Q) :
Yeah, but I was under the impression that stores would give you Leopard DVDs if they sold you a system that had Tiger on it.

With Vista there was a form on the receipt that you had to send to M$

well, at bestbuy anyway

Tier
posted 11-22-2007 12:05:18 AM
quote:
Alidane had this to say about Robocop:

Yeah, it seemed the logical explanation to me too, but I guess we have to refer people to Apple's own upgrade link. Couldn't tell you why we can't determine ourselves that the macbook we just sold was indeed sold with Tiger while Leopard was out.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-22-2007 01:50:30 AM
This game is so interesting. I think I'm enjoying doing little side missions and gathering info about the world and stuff than actually fighting and using skills and whatnot.

It's a really beautiful game, but it catches up on itself a lot. Framerate issues bug me so much in games. Not irritating enough for me to consider it a major flaw though.

Steven Steve
posted 11-22-2007 02:44:07 AM
I rented the game today and I'm probably more than halfway done with it already, and 9 hours in. I'd have to say I prefer the main quests to the exploration crap. The best part about the game so far is the sheer amount of content and the combat, and the worst part is the god damn jogging that is ever prevalent in every single Bioware game I've ever played.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

nem-x
posted 11-22-2007 03:23:17 PM
mass effect more like star control 2
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 11-22-2007 06:02:23 PM
quote:
nem-x wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
mass effect more like star control 2

Well, it must be awesome then.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 11-22-2007 09:05:19 PM
feh. I'm spending way too much time playing the minigame in Mass Effect... Something called "Quasar". Press X or Y get the number as close to 20 without going over, yadda yadda yadda. Only pays 200 credits at the most, though...
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-22-2007 09:27:25 PM
Do you have to be the pure tech class to get any sort of Electronics/Decryption skills? It's really fucking irritating going past boxes I can't open every 5 seconds. I'm a vanguard, for the record.
Steven Steve
posted 11-22-2007 10:40:36 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough had this to say about dark elf butts:
Do you have to be the pure tech class to get any sort of Electronics/Decryption skills? It's really fucking irritating going past boxes I can't open every 5 seconds. I'm a vanguard, for the record.

That's probably 'cause Vangayrd doesn't specialize in tech at all. The classes with tech abilities are engineer (Tali), infiltrator (Gayrus), and sentinel (Gaydan).

I beat the game, TURDNOT WREX

Urdnot Wrex is a little white pussy compared to my guy, by the end of the game I had over 600 health, a full six shield squares, max fitness/armor/shock trooper/etc. so basically I was invincible, forever

16 hours and 6 minutes with about half the side quests.

Stalwart Steve fucked around with this message on 11-22-2007 at 10:42 PM.

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Steven Steve
posted 11-23-2007 12:28:58 AM
Short review

Good:
- Combat is taut, not narcoleptic like other Bioware games
- No more George Lucas
- Slightly less pathetic romance plots and dialogue in general
- I'LL FIND SOME WAY TO TAKE HIM DOWN
- Nice, simplified leveling system
- Music that goes do do, dododo do do, dododo do do, dododo do do
- Punching guys to the floor both in combat and in dialogue
- Well-directed cutscenes and more professional main quests
- Cannot overwrite other characters' saves accidentally
- Exce character creation
- Actual conclusion

Bad:
- Shitty cookie cutter retextured geomod planets
- No effort at all put into exploration game
- Romance plots still embarrassingly bad fanservice
- Fuck ability recharge times
- Fuck the AI
- Fuck the inventory
- Fuck jogging
- Fuck saving in the elevator, and then losing an hour of time because you get stuck in it
- Pop-in causes the game to alternatively look like FF7 for PC and real life every second
- Barely any innovations from KoTOR save for the combat which was already done in Gears of Bore
- Predictable dialogue and storyline
- Typical Bioware side quests (talk to this character, then talk to his friend, work out an understanding, return)
- Too much time spent on blabbing and not enough on content
- Patch this shit please

Total: 9/10

Stalwart Steve fucked around with this message on 11-23-2007 at 12:34 AM.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-23-2007 12:33:12 AM
Half the sidequests? I'm at like 11 hours and I haven't even gone past getting the Asari squadmate.
Steven Steve
posted 11-23-2007 12:33:55 AM
That's because you run in circles for 5 hours like everyone else that isn't used to Bioware's shit

At 11 hours I was already killing that Asari's mother, having exhausted all other explorable (intolerable) planets in the area

Stalwart Steve fucked around with this message on 11-23-2007 at 12:35 AM.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-23-2007 12:38:03 AM
quote:
Stalwart Steve had this to say about Tron:
That's because you run in circles for 5 hours like everyone else that isn't used to Bioware's shit

I thought most of the stuff was pretty easy to find, actually. I've never played a BioWare game, either. I mean in the Citadel it just tells you where to go to do stuff and you look for the little marker on the map that says it and run (jog jog jog) there.

But I think one of my big things is pretty much talking to everyone I physically can and just generally dicking around a lot. I like the game's races and story a lot even if you can just break it down into stereotypes thrown into a different alien instead of a different nationality and a classic SAVE DA WORLD kinda goal.

Steven Steve
posted 11-23-2007 01:41:47 AM
Here's a mission for you: try to play through the game and record how many times characters talk about "taking down" other characters. It has got to be close to 20 at least, I'm not even kidding, haha.

I only rented it so I had to be sure to TAKE EM DOWN before I was forced to return. Die Amazon.

Maradon!
posted 11-23-2007 02:13:03 AM
because oh christ we can't talk about killing

lesbian sex sure but jesus christ spare the children thoughts of killing!

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 11-23-2007 06:15:46 AM
I just beat it at around 25 hours. Barely scraped in the Completionist achievement so I think I did 51% of the total game. A lot of time was spent doing random conversations.

Would have done more sidequests, but I got caught up with doing the actual plot and I'm probably going to play through the game again anyways.

Aside from the nitpicks others have given me was the fact that at level 40ish at the end of the game every encounter either had no risk to it as long as I wasn't totally retarded or was insta-death if I got hit once (rock soldiers and drones). Aside from the auto-save not actually punching in enough that was the only thing that bugged me throughout the game.

I didn't have too much of a problem with inventory since, having been pre-warned by Penny Arcade, I sold old shit off every chance I could get. This lead to having fucking massive amounts of money by the end of the game so I was able to by all the SPECTRE stuff that went on sale at the end.

Having maxed out Decryption, Electronics, and the conversation skills fairly early on helped quite a bit too. Oddly enough, I failed way more often on the "easy" decrypts than the hard ones.

Talonus
Loner
posted 11-23-2007 07:51:02 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Dr. Gee wrote:
Aside from the nitpicks others have given me was the fact that at level 40ish at the end of the game every encounter either had no risk to it as long as I wasn't totally retarded or was insta-death if I got hit once (rock soldiers and drones). Aside from the auto-save not actually punching in enough that was the only thing that bugged me throughout the game.

Mobs don't scale at all in normal. Only bosses scale in veteran. Everything scales in hardcore, so the game is more difficult. If you play through again, I recommend playing in hardcore.

quote:
Dr. Gee wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
I didn't have too much of a problem with inventory since, having been pre-warned by Penny Arcade, I sold old shit off every chance I could get. This lead to having fucking massive amounts of money by the end of the game so I was able to by all the SPECTRE stuff that went on sale at the end.

Selling off stuff (and not buying anything) should be done ASAP anyway to get the Rich achievement, which puts the Spectre gear on merchants. Best weapons in the game prior till level 50ish (level X) gear.

nem-x
posted 11-23-2007 09:11:58 AM
quote:
Tarquinn had this to say about Pirotess:
Well, it must be awesome then.

I was already thinking it was similar due to the alien races and what kind of traits they had, but then they introduced the whole explore galaxies and planets and harvest minerals and shit.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-23-2007 10:35:13 AM
LAUNCH FIGHTERS.

LAUNCH FIGHTERS.

LAUNCH FIGHTERS.

LAUNCH FIGHTERS.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 11-23-2007 11:11:16 AM
As I said. Awesome.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Steven Steve
posted 11-23-2007 04:32:59 PM
My sniper rifle is some sort of god weapon now - I put two high caliber barrels and high explosive rounds in it and now it does at least 1000 damage every time I use assassination with it. It is about twice as powerful as the Mako's cannon, and I'm not even kidding, and it has a 400 cm blast radius. I have 700 health and max shields. I rule.

Burori
Pancake
posted 11-23-2007 06:26:26 PM
I just started to play this game and I must say I am very impressed with it. I must say the Sniper Rifle is a KICK ASS weapon to use. only thing I find a little annoying is the game's framerate tends to lower for a few seconds leading to chopping in the video. But other than that the game is awesome
Neverwinter Nights Characters:

Race: Dwarf
Name: (Kill) Kilinus
Class: Fighter/Weapon Master/ Doom Knight
Level: 14
Allignent: Neutral Evil
Diety: Bane

Dr. Gee
posted 11-23-2007 11:19:38 PM
quote:
Stalwart Steve's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
My sniper rifle is some sort of god weapon now - I put two high caliber barrels and high explosive rounds in it and now it does at least 1000 damage every time I use assassination with it. It is about twice as powerful as the Mako's cannon, and I'm not even kidding, and it has a 400 cm blast radius. I have 700 health and max shields. I rule.

Playing through the game I never even saw high explosive rounds.

Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 11-24-2007 12:18:33 AM
Waitaminute... I haven't seen a gun where you can put two high power barrel mods on a weapon. And I'm with Gee on this one. The only mods I can think of that might do that are the ones for your grenades (and I hardly use those as my trusty sniper rifle is my workhorse in combat)...
Steven Steve
posted 11-24-2007 12:26:30 AM
Shut up Kennatsu, and yes Geeorn, I only found the special ammo on my second run through (on hardcore).

I found the high explosive rounds (which as far as I've seen only come in level 7 or 8 or something) on the planet with the pirates and the data regarding the Nassansianfasifn (the asari diplomat) mission, and then a second time on the planet which Liara was on. This was all on hardcore at about 44-46 character level.

Stalwart Steve fucked around with this message on 11-24-2007 at 12:33 AM.

Steven Steve
posted 11-24-2007 12:38:57 AM
Protips in this game:

- Keep two save games
- Don't save in elevators
- Gaining paragon and renegade points results in permanent increases to your charm and intimidate skills respectively - keep this in mind when alotting points
- Sell equipment as much as possible
- Try to keep more than 100 omni-gel at all times just for convenience
- Remember to equip your party members with the care you would use for your main character
- Always make sure to have some tech powers handy, and preferably some biotics
- Remember you can (and probably will if you like achievements) play through the game again with your same character
- As in all Bioware games, make full use of your abilities
- Find some way to take him down

nem-x
posted 11-24-2007 12:45:01 AM
Talonus
Loner
posted 11-24-2007 07:33:03 AM
High explosive rounds start popping up a lot at 45+. You'll end up deleting them. The higher your level the more variable the upgrades get, especially at 40+.

You can find weapons with three upgrades starting at level VII. Two upgrade armors come in around the same time. Alternatively, you can get three upgrade weapons much earlier on the spectre gear, which is about equal to level X gear, that you can get as soon as you get a million creds (hint: do this ASAP). You can see all this stuff on your first run through, though you seem to cap at about 50 for one run if you do everything; the difficulty level doesn't matter.

Talonus fucked around with this message on 11-24-2007 at 07:33 AM.

Steven Steve
posted 11-24-2007 11:41:30 AM
I have 5,000,000 creds or something. I'll probably just blow it all at once when I finally find some good gear to buy again. I haven't changed my armor in ages.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-25-2007 03:59:48 AM
Amazon.co.uk made the limited edition available to order.. then took it off again.. but my order is still there.

Methinks they didn't order enough copies themselves.

Dr. Gee
posted 11-25-2007 06:32:41 AM
quote:
Stalwart Steve spewed forth this undeniable truth:
I have 5,000,000 creds or something. I'll probably just blow it all at once when I finally find some good gear to buy again. I haven't changed my armor in ages.

Ya I blew mine on armor upgrades since I was still using the Mk. 4-5 stuff when even shittier Mk. 6-7 stuff was dropping.

Also: Even if you make a new career you can still get access to the SPECTRE gear as long as you're on the same profile with the Rich achievement.

This might end up being the first game I play and actually get a full 1000 achievement points on...but I kinda doubt it

Steven Steve
posted 11-25-2007 11:01:23 AM
Maybe you should rent Fight Night Round 3, it's a piece of cake. I'm level 53 in Ass Defect now, and I'm about to find some way to take him down.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-25-2007 01:52:25 PM
I'm guessing Soldier is the easiest/best class to play then. You guys make it sound like you become an unkillable demigod in the end game.
Steven Steve
posted 11-25-2007 02:15:53 PM
Yeah more or less. Using all my abilities, I could probably take about 5-7 rockets to the face without even dying on hardcore. The other classes don't really match soldier in combat at all as far as I can tell, although there are some powerful tech and biotic abilities that can't really be resisted at all. Basically it comes down to whether you want to be the Master Chief or a mage, and let's just say that the ordering system is not as thorough as KoTOR.

nem-x
posted 11-25-2007 02:46:35 PM
really no reason to be anything other than soldier because your teammates can do the other stuff, and id rather not have to rely on the ai to shoot stuff
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-25-2007 02:59:07 PM
My character is a soldier. I like shotguns. Shotguns are fun.

Tell me where to spend skill points.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 11-25-2007 at 02:59 PM.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-25-2007 03:14:02 PM
Vanguard = Shotguns and Force powers

?????

Skaw
posted 11-25-2007 03:56:30 PM
quote:
nem-x had this to say about Robocop:
really no reason to be anything other than soldier because your teammates can do the other stuff, and id rather not have to rely on the ai to shoot stuff

You need to be full Biotic or Tech to get one or two specific abilities maxed out for achievements.

Talonus
Loner
posted 11-25-2007 03:59:27 PM
Soldier first time around is the easiest. Once you have the assault rifle or shotgun achievements it's easier to be one of the other classes, as soldier has a lot of wasted skills. An adept with assault rifle is easy. I'll probably be finishing hardcore in under 10 hours with mine; would have been faster had I not wasted time on quests inside the citadel.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: