EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: WTF!? No Bioshock thread!?
Steven Steve
posted 09-05-2007 10:52:46 AM
So why are the hybrids attacking you and not each other again?
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-05-2007 10:55:23 AM
quote:
Stalwart Steve had this to say about John Romero:
So why are the hybrids attacking you and not each other again?

Because they're being forced to. You'll find out who in the story and why in an audio log in the Farmer's Market.

Gadani
U
posted 09-05-2007 09:07:03 PM
I swear I've seen them attack each other before.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 09-05-2007 11:34:00 PM
quote:
Gadani had this to say about Cuba:
I swear I've seen them attack each other before.

If one shoots another by accident, they'll start fighting.

Greenlit
posted 09-06-2007 12:17:52 AM
If only, at one point, Ryan and Fontaine would have had a conversation featuring both "Would you kindly?" and "I did it thirty-five minutes ago." the game would have been absolutely legendary.
Steven Steve
posted 09-06-2007 12:59:07 AM
I beat the game fellas
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Steven Steve
posted 09-06-2007 01:38:39 PM
Oi rate this game 7 out of 10

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-06-2007 03:22:38 PM
i take offense to you having a different opinion than me, steve
Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-07-2007 03:13:12 AM
A little late, but I finally finished it. It was some really awesome story-telling, though. I was a bit confused on the plot, though; let me see if I can figure this out.

1: Adam Ryan builds Rapture at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. The world's best, brightest, most creative and artistic are brought down to create a utopia.

2: Despite Ryan's idea to build an economic masterpiece, class distinctions begin to rise. Haves and Have-Nots appear. Fontaine intends to exploit them.

3: As the scientists of Rapture discover how to modify genetics, people begin splicing themselves. Splicers come about, following whoever has the Adam, becoming addicted to it.

4: Suchong and Tenenbaum defect to Fontaine and create the Little Sisters and Big Daddies. At this point, Fontaine is still under the guise of not working against Ryan.

4b: Fontaine commissions the creation of the Protagonist, complete with super-strength, false memories, yadda yadda and sends him out on a submarine to the surface world. Enter Jasmine Jolene and the whole pregnancy-trap.

5: War ensues. Ryan and Fontaine send their Splicers against each other. Fontaine fakes his own death and returns as Atlas to lead the Have-Nots. Atlas, being a pacifist, appears to be working for peace while Ryan appears to slowly descend into madness.

6: Tenenbaum disappears. Suchong goes back to Ryan.

7: You arrive.

Did I miss anything? The only thing I'm not entirely clear on is who commissioned the creation of the Little Sisters.

Mr. Parcelan fucked around with this message on 09-07-2007 at 03:15 AM.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 09-07-2007 03:44:53 AM
Adam Ryan builds Rapture at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. The world's best, brightest, most creative and artistic are brought down to create a utopia.

Despite Ryan's idea to build an economic masterpiece, class distinctions begin to rise. Haves and Have-Nots appear. Fontaine intends to exploit them.

Tenenbaum discovers the sea slugs which create Adam and the potential for genetic modification. Fontaine Futuristics funds her research, along with hiring Dr. Suchong who is instrumental in most of the plasmid research.

People begin splicing themselves. Splicers come about, following whoever has the Adam, becoming addicted to it. Fontaine and Ryan are pretty buddy-buddy at this point, with Ryan encouraging the exploration of splicing and not regulating its use.

The little sisters are created by Tenenbaum as a way to speed up the Adam production process. The big daddies are created soon thereafter to protect them, with Suchong providing most of the means to ensure they do.

Fontaine begins to build a power base amongst the lower classes with his charity houses, orphanages, free clinics. He begins distributing weapons and his 'Power to the People' stations under the pretense of ensuring security. He also begins smuggling in contraband such as bibles and items of religious significance.

Fontaine's smuggling is discovered and leads to an open armed conflict with Ryan. The majority of the fighting is between Rapture's security forces on the side of Ryan vs the lower class on the side of Fontaine.

Fontaine commissions the creation of the Protagonist, complete with super-strength, false memories, yadda yadda and sends him out on a submarine to the surface world. Enter Jasmine Jolene and the whole pregnancy-trap.

Fontaine either fakes his own death or his death is falsely reported by Ryan and Fontaine goes underground. Ryan Industries takes control of Fontaine Futuristics, granting him sway over the splicers. Tenenbaum disappears. Suchong goes back to Ryan. Suchong developes the pheromones to control the splicers

Fontaine comes back under the guise of Atlas, trying to win political power through peaceful means and appealing to the poor. Ryan, in his paranoia that Fontaine isn't really dead, becomes more and more crazy.

You arrive.

I'M SANDER FUCKING COHEN

Sakkra fucked around with this message on 09-07-2007 at 05:18 AM.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 09-07-2007 07:13:22 AM
quote:
Callalron was listening to Cher while typing:
Well, ya have to, ya know. Otherwise the hospital would be full of sick people if they could just walk in.

And you know what a bunch of whiny bastiges they can be.

"Dying of flesh-eating bacteria? Here's your complimentary gunshot wound!"

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-07-2007 09:46:20 AM
Well the control of the splicers mostly came from the pheromones that Dr. Suchong developed that made spliced up people obey whoever. Fontaine had control of the splicers because he had ADAM, but Ryan just cheats and uses pheromones as far as I know. I seem to remember an announcement to the effect of "1000 ADAM to whoever brings me his head" from Ryan, though
Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 09-07-2007 10:48:01 AM
The Protagonist wasn't 'commissioned'. He is Ryan's son.

Ozimander fucked around with this message on 09-07-2007 at 10:48 AM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-07-2007 10:55:05 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Ozimander said:
The Protagonist wasn't 'commissioned'. He is Ryan's son.

Uh, yes he was.

Ryan was tricked into fucking the stripper so that Fontaine could raise have a child with Ryan's DNA. Ryan got pissed off when he found out that Fontaine was doing it and killed the stripper, but Tenenbaum had already extracted the fertilized egg. The kid was raised a bit (see: puppy audio log) and then sent topside, waiting for the trigger to head home.

Jack is Ryan's son, but it was all drawn up from the beginning by Fontaine. Someone with Ryan's DNA can operate bathyspheres even on lockdown and make use of the Vita chambers. I'm probably missing something else important, but yeah he was definitely commissioned and planned even before he was conceived.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 09-07-2007 at 10:55 AM.

Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 09-07-2007 11:04:28 AM
The word commissioned in terms of a person makes me think of a test tube baby. I just wanted to specify that he was born a flesh and blood boy, as opposed to half man, half machine, all action.

Also, something that bothered me - from what I understand Jack's action to get home by bringing down a plane was so no one would suddenly find Rapture, but isn't it possible for people to find the wreck? I don't know much about the procedure for plane wrecks at sea but that always struck me as a little off.

Ozimander fucked around with this message on 09-07-2007 at 11:07 AM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-07-2007 11:15:45 AM
It might be a little harder to find a plane wreck in the middle of the sea in 1960 than it would be today

Also he pretty much was a test tube baby. He was conceived normally for the most part but Jack was removed from the girl and spliced up pretty early on in the process

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 09-07-2007 at 11:16 AM.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 09-07-2007 11:27:36 AM
Why are we still using spoiler tags?
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 09-07-2007 11:33:46 AM
I just wanted to be accepted and everyone else was doing it.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-07-2007 12:22:47 PM
quote:
Tarquinn's fortune cookie read:
Why are we still using spoiler tags?

It's just a general rule for games that are still pretty new. I'm used to the Bioshock thread on SA.

Maradon!
posted 09-07-2007 06:46:39 PM
How'd jack get the chain tattoo on his wrists anyway?

btw, I am so getting an identical tattoo

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 09-08-2007 07:23:01 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about John Romero:
How'd jack get the chain tattoo on his wrists anyway?

btw, I am so getting an identical tattoo

I think the tats are a figment of the mind control, not sure though. Fontaine might've said something about them in his ranting about creating Jack. IIRC they weren't there on the good ending.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-08-2007 08:47:42 AM
quote:
Sakkra said:
IIRC they weren't there on the good ending.

They were.

The touching/soppy part on the hospital bed when he's dying and they all hold his hand, it's there.

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 09-08-2007 02:12:55 PM
quote:
Kegwen got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Uh, yes he was.

Ryan was tricked into fucking the stripper so that Fontaine could raise have a child with Ryan's DNA. Ryan got pissed off when he found out that Fontaine was doing it and killed the stripper, but Tenenbaum had already extracted the fertilized egg. The kid was raised a bit (see: puppy audio log) and then sent topside, waiting for the trigger to head home.

Jack is Ryan's son, but it was all drawn up from the beginning by Fontaine. Someone with Ryan's DNA can operate bathyspheres even on lockdown and make use of the Vita chambers. I'm probably missing something else important, but yeah he was definitely commissioned and planned even before he was conceived.

So was there ever an explanation as to why Ryan himself couldn't use the Vita chambers? I didn't think about it until a while after I beat the game.

Maradon!
posted 09-08-2007 02:27:52 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Arttemis booooze lime pole over bench lick:
So was there ever an explanation as to why Ryan himself couldn't use the Vita chambers? I didn't think about it until a while after I beat the game.

Whoa WHOA

...maybe he could?

It would certainly explain why a guy who was otherwise so paranoid would willingly give a golf club to his would-be assassin and ask him to kill him.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 09-08-2007 at 02:29 PM.

Tier
posted 09-08-2007 03:20:40 PM
bioshock 2: ryan's return
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-08-2007 03:53:59 PM
The dominant theory in the SA thread is that he could use the Vita Chambers. The one in his office was switched off (it's the only one that's switched off in the game) which leads one to believe that he was reincarnated at the nearest one and made his escape afterwards.
Maradon!
posted 09-08-2007 04:02:05 PM
Does anybody have sales figures for bioshock?

I'd really like to see it sell well, being from the old system shock folks and all.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-08-2007 04:03:50 PM
They're not really available yet. It's been #1 in Australia every week since its release, but that doesn't give us numbers, either.

Ken Levine stated somewhere that they sold many times what they were expecting to, causing issues with the PC version's unprepared activation servers. The numbers should be pretty good once we get them.

Steven Steve
posted 09-10-2007 10:36:38 AM
I couldn't see half the crap going on in the game because I had to run it at literally lowest graphical settings, but I watched my brother play through it on max

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: