EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Math is Fun!
diadem
eet bugz
posted 12-06-2006 12:04:35 AM
quote:
Peter had this to say about Robocop:
Again i fail to be seeing a time limit? He has to average 60 MPH over the 2 laps, he avarage 30 for the first, now he has to average 90 for the second lap. I don't see any limit in the problem to time, infact i read it as not giving a rats ass about how long it takes, just how fast his supper r-type gto ricer racer has to go. so i don't see how he has to go faster than the spped of light or something to make the secnod lap, he just need to average 90mph.

last post before sleep... hoping this isn't a joke to bait...
Average speed is defined by distance over time. We have the distance. We have the average speed. Using the formula, we can determine the time.

diadem fucked around with this message on 12-06-2006 at 12:05 AM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 12-06-2006 12:42:02 AM
quote:
Peter had time to sputter this out before being killed by someone else's ambush:
Again i fail to be seeing a time limit? He has to average 60 MPH over the 2 laps, he avarage 30 for the first, now he has to average 90 for the second lap. I don't see any limit in the problem to time, infact i read it as not giving a rats ass about how long it takes, just how fast his supper r-type gto ricer racer has to go. so i don't see how he has to go faster than the spped of light or something to make the secnod lap, he just need to average 90mph.

60 miles an hour means you go a mile a minute, right?

If he's going 30 miles an hour, it takes him 2 minutes to go 1 mile.
So to get it to average out, he'd have to go one mile in -zero- minutes, ie instantaneously.

Also, Darkness? 1/3 DOES equal .3 repeating. "It ends in 3 after an infinite point" or "still contain a remainder of 1/3 * 10^-infinity" are nonsensical.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 12-06-2006 01:11:16 AM
If there's two things in the math realm I find annoying to deal with, it's infinity and continuity.

I really liked this post though, fun to think about.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-06-2006 01:39:22 AM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Pvednes squealed:
The driver's simply failed to reach his goal.

TOO BAD, SO SAD.

We have a winner!

~~~~

And PS, if you want to argue math geekery, then post on the dude's blog. Or accept his challenge and find a no-shit math professor who believes you.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 12-06-2006 11:05:31 PM
This thread is an example of why I love English and hate Math.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Peter
Pancake
posted 12-07-2006 02:09:34 AM
Is this something like people tripping up over speed and velocity being 2 diffrent things?
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 12-07-2006 07:19:26 AM
Sort of. Kinda. It's the phrasing of the problem.

It's amusing here, but in high school it was frustrating to me. Math teachers misusing terminology and so forth. They think it's okay, but if you point out something like that they think you're trying to get out of doing the math problem and just mark it wrong.

I hated situational problems like that. They're supposed to be teaching you to pick out the information you need to set up a math problem, but Math teachers are not, shall we say, the people who took English or Grammar concentrations.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 12-07-2006 07:59:35 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael!
Sort of. Kinda. It's the phrasing of the problem.

It's amusing here, but in high school it was frustrating to me. Math teachers misusing terminology and so forth. They think it's okay, but if you point out something like that they think you're trying to get out of doing the math problem and just mark it wrong.

I hated situational problems like that. They're supposed to be teaching you to pick out the information you need to set up a math problem, but Math teachers are not, shall we say, the people who took English or Grammar concentrations.

Yes, and while that is true, and I commend you for noticing these things, you should also be clever enough to realize what the teachers actually wanted to achieve with their questions, and act accordingly.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 12-07-2006 08:20:02 AM
quote:
Tarquinn needs to hitch a ride with a Vogon constructor fleet.
Yes, and while that is true, and I commend you for noticing these things, you should also be clever enough to realize what the teachers actually wanted to achieve with their questions, and act accordingly.
That doesn't work all the time. Sometimes the teacher makes a grammar mistake that actually changes the structure of the math problem. To portray the concept, think of someone who means to write, "I ran away from a man-eating tiger," but instead writes, "I ran away from a man eating a tiger."
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 12-07-2006 08:28:24 AM
quote:
Tarquinn had this to say about the Spice Girls:

You shouldn't have to unravel a second mystery problem to solve a math problem. The best thing for students to do is write down how they interpreted any word problem, possibly with justification for why they interpreted it that way, and then go from there. The teacher is then better armed to decide if the problem presented war formulated poorley and grade accordingly.

Tarquinn
posted 12-07-2006 08:29:34 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on `Doc!
That doesn't work all the time. Sometimes the teacher makes a grammar mistake that actually changes the structure of the math problem. To portray the concept, think of someone who means to write, "I ran away from a man-eating tiger," but instead writes, "I ran away from a man eating a tiger."

I am pretty sure that a student clever enough to find a grammar problem, is also clever enough to realize the real meaning most of the time. Like in your example; the real intention of the sentence is obvious.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 12-07-2006 at 08:37 AM.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 12-07-2006 08:52:03 AM
quote:
Tarquinn needs to hitch a ride with a Vogon constructor fleet.
I am pretty sure that a student clever enough to find a grammar problem, is also clever enough to realize the real meaning most of the time. Like in your example; the real intention of the sentence is obvious.
Just because you eat tigers doesn't mean you should expect the rest of us to do the same. Let's clarify the point by recruiting from a classic horror flick. Replace "tiger" with "tomato", and repeat the evaluation.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 12-07-2006 08:53:03 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Robocop:
WHERE HAVE I SEEN ARGUMENTS LIKE THIS BEFORE!?

Tarquinn
posted 12-07-2006 08:54:21 AM
quote:
`Doc got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Just because you eat tigers doesn't mean you should expect the rest of us to do the same. Let's clarify the point by recruiting from a classic horror flick. Replace "tiger" with "tomato", and repeat the evaluation.

Of course it depends on the context, which should be given in most cases.

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 12-07-2006 09:22:14 AM
quote:
Peter had this to say about Robocop:
Is this something like people tripping up over speed and velocity being 2 diffrent things?

Nah, not really. Velocity is a vector, speed is not. Not relevent to this I don't think.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 12-07-2006 10:11:58 AM
quote:
Tarquinn is attacking the darkness!
Of course it depends on the context, which should be given in most cases.
Therein lies the problem. Some teachers actually botch their descriptions so badly that what they describe makes more sense as something other than what they actually mean.
quote:
Train A leaves San Francisco at 8:57 AM with 175 passengers on board, headed towards Washington DC. At 11:03 AM, train B leaves Kansas City, also headed towards Washington DC, carring 1500 tons of cargo.
The above question represents a typical math word problem, excluding the question. Please answer each of the questions below.
quote:
When they meet, which one is closer to Washington DC?
quote:
Which train will arrive at the Virginia border first?
quote:
Which train is moving faster?
quote:
How many passengers are on train B?
quote:
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
quote:
What was the ticket price for this railway?
quote:
Which train has brighter headlights?
Sure this is a straw man argument, but there are teachers who actually do screw up this badly, then refuse to admit it. Some of the questions above are solveable. Others require more information which was not provided. But whichever question the teacher provides, the answer he wants is, "Train A by 57."

If the question contains a small mistake, most people can figure out what the question should mean. If it's a big enough mistake... good luck.

Tarquinn
posted 12-07-2006 11:04:56 AM
quote:
`Doc stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:

If the question contains a small mistake, most people can figure out what the question should mean. If it's a big enough mistake... good luck.

And that's the whole point.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 12-07-2006 11:18:55 AM
quote:
Roll the dice to see if Tarquinn is getting drunk!
And that's the whole point.
On both sides of the argument.

Basically, as Ja`Deth said, some math teachers have such poor grammar that their phrasing doesn't just make their intentions difficult to discern, but it actually changes the meaning of what they write. The context provided typically does not indicate the teacher's intended meaning any more clearly than the misphrased question itself. Even if the student does figure out what the teacher is asking, doing so can take more time than actually solving the problem (as per Naimah's comment), thus preventing students from finishing their exams.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-07-2006 01:39:10 PM
quote:
Arttemis startled the peaceful upland Gorillas, blurting:
Nah, not really. Velocity is a vector, speed is not. Not relevent to this I don't think.

Exactly correct. There's no grammar mistake or trick involved in the problem. It's just that the answer is counterintuitive.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 12-07-2006 05:48:50 PM
Oh... got a simpler answer to the 1 mile in zero seconds question.... without the infinate mph answer... which I apologize for. I'll work entirely under your assumptions.

If he travels one mile in zero seconds, he is effectively teleporting.

For the sake of argument, I'll say he can teleport. He can go from point a to point b in zero seconds. He's a super-hero with magic powers.

The problem in this case is that he is on a track that loops. That means geographicly, his end point and his start point are exactly the same.

This means that even if he can teleport, he is screwed. Point a IS point b - so even if he "teleports" he wouldn't have actually moved at all.

As you stated yourself - his time is up already. Even if he goes the speed of light, he'll technicly outshoot his time limit. Any interval of time, no matter how small (unless it's zero), will force him to go past the two minute mark. His only option therefore would be to teleport, and that simply wouldn't work.

diadem fucked around with this message on 12-07-2006 at 05:53 PM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Greenlit
posted 12-07-2006 05:53:38 PM
You're fucking retarded.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 12-07-2006 06:46:05 PM
quote:
Tarquinn spewed forth this undeniable truth:

Ah...no. I have an extremely hard time doing anything more complicated than algebra and geometry. Always have. I can scrape by in classes like that with a C. It's not lack of doing the work. It's not even a lack of getting help (I've had several tutors). I have a hard time remembering mathematical formulas and the rules for things like sine, cosine, etc. Math is not, nor has ever been an area of aptitude for me.

On the other hand, I'm actually rather good at grammar. It has, in my life, been the onus and boon of my education. I've always had problems picking out the grammatical flaws in things, or at least points of contention in meaning. I always seem to get hung up on those issues in any situation other than casual (internet chatting and forums, for example).

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-08-2006 12:31:19 PM
quote:
Willias startled the peaceful upland Gorillas, blurting:
So it's kinda like a question in a question. Or something.

No, it's just a demonstration that math trumps intuition, sort of like the link that I posted. The correct answer feels horribly wrong, but that doesn't mean it is.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 12-08-2006 12:34:27 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Bloodsage stammered:
No, it's just a demonstration that math trumps intuition, sort of like the link that I posted. The correct answer feels horribly wrong, but that doesn't mean it is.

Well, not really. My intuition got me there, as it does on most mathematical things. Sometimes it's better at maths than I am.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-08-2006 01:01:23 PM
Anyone who solved this problem is a raging queermo.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-08-2006 04:59:36 PM
Anyone who hasn't is a limp-wristed flamo!

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: