EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Poll of curiosity - college
Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 09-26-2005 10:57:41 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Naimah wrote:
It is part of the problem with the college mentaility right now. It's ok to fail as long as you are willing to give up and try again. At some point people are going to reach a point where they are going to be forced to live with whatever screw ups they made and they won't be able to give up and try again.

That doesn't even make sense. Dropping a course 3 days into it isn't failing it; you still have to take it again and pass it eventually, you racist sack of shit.

Here's one for you: you're a failure. You should have you to live with your mom's screwup of taking you in her vagina instead of swallowing you.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-26-2005 11:09:57 AM
quote:
Snugglits wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
That doesn't even make sense. Dropping a course 3 days into it isn't failing it; you still have to take it again and pass it eventually, you racist sack of shit.

Here's one for you: you're a failure. You should have you to live with your mom's screwup of taking you in her vagina instead of swallowing you.

Lose your temper much?

-Yuri-
Pancake
posted 09-26-2005 01:09:48 PM
Waisz can't tell the difference between a poll thread and a flame thread. Too bad nothing will happen cause he's parce's little pet.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-26-2005 01:20:14 PM
quote:
-Yuri- wrote this stupid crap:
Waisz can't tell the difference between a poll thread and a flame thread. Too bad nothing will happen cause he's parce's little pet.

Well look at that. Something happened.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-26-2005 01:20:47 PM
quote:
Snugglits spewed forth this undeniable truth:

Watch yourself, junior.

Jackman
Racist Hermaphroditic Midget
posted 09-26-2005 01:42:50 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Mr. Parcelan wrote:

Giggle

Peter: I'm not afraid of anything, I laugh in the face of Death. See HAHAHAHA.
Death: Oh great! Thanks a lot. As if it wasnt already hard enough to fit in.

Some people are like Slinkys... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 09-26-2005 02:45:06 PM
quote:
And coming in at #1 is Mr. Parcelan with "Reply." I'm Casey Casem.

I saw that coming a mile away, but I didn't want to say anything, because I knew it'd make me laugh when it happened. And what do you know? I'm laughing!

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 09-26-2005 03:04:40 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about Duck Tales:
It is part of the problem with the college mentaility right now. It's ok to fail as long as you are willing to give up and try again. At some point people are going to reach a point where they are going to be forced to live with whatever screw ups they made and they won't be able to give up and try again.

Um, no. There are times in life when, if you screw up, you get another chance. Part of going on in life is learning to move on from the mistakes while controlling the damage from those mistakes as much as you can.

For example: A college student learns that, shortly into a course, the class isn't for him/her. The class is dropped. You can only drop so many classes before you don't have enough credits to graduate or run out of funding for school. If you drop too many classes, you won't be able to keep scholarship money or whatnot.

Hell -- at my school, you can only have 18 credit hours (unless you're in the honors college, then you can have 21). That means you can drop TWO classes before you're under full time. If you only take 12 credit hours a semester, it'll take you, at the minimum, five years to graduate. That's if you pass every single class and don't mess up and if all the classes you need are offered at the right time.

People who drop classes for the right reasons will succeed in college and in life. Those who drop them because of laziness or some other bad reason won't succeed.

Damn, I gave this much more thought than I should have.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-26-2005 03:17:13 PM
I agree that there are certain monetary and time penalties to dropping classes, but there should be some reflection on a students transcripts that they droped calc three times before they got that 4.0. I think the student who goes through never droping a class and ends up with a 3.0GPA has just as much merit if not more then the one who dropped 6 hours a semester and gets a 3.75.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 09-26-2005 03:26:24 PM
quote:
Naimah stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
I agree that there are certain monetary and time penalties to dropping classes, but there should be some reflection on a students transcripts that they droped calc three times before they got that 4.0. I think the student who goes through never droping a class and ends up with a 3.0GPA has just as much merit if not more then the one who dropped 6 hours a semester and gets a 3.75.

At least at my school, if you don't drop a class before the end of the first week, you get a W for the class, which DOES show up on your transcript.

And why should someone that dropped no classes get more merit? They could also be too stupid to not realize they're in over their head in a class. Sometimes, you do get into something you simply aren't capable of doing, no matter how hard you try. Maybe it's because you didn't do well in a previous related course or maybe you just aren't able to grasp the material.

Making choices is a part of life. Knowing when to step back from something before you fail miserably is not a sign of a character fault and not something someone should recieve less merit for. Knowing when to quit is just as important as following through on something.

A student that drops two classes a semester is likely not going to have a 3.75 GPA. They're going to end up far worse because they'll run into a roadblock eventually.

Essentially, trying to push through something is not always the best choice.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-26-2005 03:29:56 PM
A W dosn't have any implications on their GPA which is what employers look at for people coming straight out of college. People game the system to maintain a high GPA. I would just perfer there be some penalty on the most seen indicator that someone habitually drops classes as that does reflect on someones work ethic.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 09-26-2005 03:35:39 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about Tron:
A W dosn't have any implications on their GPA which is what employers look at for people coming straight out of college. People game the system to maintain a high GPA. I would just perfer there be some penalty on the most seen indicator that someone habitually drops classes as that does reflect on someones work ethic.

So work ethic = stupidly pounding away at something you're not capable of handling?

GPA is not a direct reflection of someone's work ethic. Using your logic, someone could take all super-easy classes, never drop a class and finish with a 4.0 but someone who took all hard classes and dropped some of them and has a 3.5 would have less of a work ethic.

What is your major, again? And your GPA, too. Right now, it seems like you're just trying to make yourself feel better because you don't have a high GPA.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 09-26-2005 at 03:37 PM.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-26-2005 03:44:12 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
So work ethic = stupidly pounding away at something you're not capable of handling?

GPA is not a direct reflection of someone's work ethic. Using your logic, someone could take all super-easy classes, never drop a class and finish with a 4.0 but someone who took all hard classes and dropped some of them and has a 3.5 would have less of a work ethic.

What is your major, again? And your GPA, too. Right now, it seems like you're just trying to make yourself feel better because you don't have a high GPA.

That is comparing apples and oranges and dosn't apply. Comparing a Physics degree and a Performance Arts degree is silly and they would never be directly competing against one another for a professional job.

Hiring managers take a stack of resumes and say give me the ones with 3.5s or higher for instance. This is a common practice that I have on authority from a highering manager from a major company. However, in a corporate setting you can not be 5 weeks into a project and say this is too hard for me and quit. That just dosn't fly.

I am a 3rd year electrical engineering major at a 3.0GPA currently.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 09-26-2005 03:59:18 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about Robocop:
That is comparing apples and oranges and dosn't apply. Comparing a Physics degree and a Performance Arts degree is silly and they would never be directly competing against one another for a professional job.

Hiring managers take a stack of resumes and say give me the ones with 3.5s or higher for instance. This is a common practice that I have on authority from a highering manager from a major company. However, in a corporate setting you can not be 5 weeks into a project and say this is too hard for me and quit. That just dosn't fly.

I am a 3rd year electrical engineering major at a 3.0GPA currently.

Wow, you have a 3.0 and don't seem to even be able to read what I said.

Never did I compare a Physics degree and a Performance Arts degree.

To some people, Physics is ass-rapingly difficult. To others, it is easy as hell. Does that mean that the person who has a hard time with it and has to drop a couple of classes and re-take them has less work ethic? No, it just means they had to work to get where they are.

I'd appreciate words not being put in my mouth, though. Nowhere did I say someone could just quit in the real world and be fine. Not getting into a job that you can't handle, though, would be a good thing. Just like dropping a class you can't handle is a good thing.

On another note... companies now hire people based solely on who has the highest GPA? Do they conduct interviews anymore? From what I read of your post, the only thing that a GPA gets you is an interview.

So, I'm guessing that there are people in your program that have a higher GPA because they take too many classes and drop the harder ones? Don't they have to take the same exact classes you do to graduate?

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 09-26-2005 at 04:00 PM.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 09-26-2005 05:42:42 PM
Yeah, Naimah, you're really missing the point of college, I think. It's not a 4-year rush to the end. The point is to draw out concepts from your classes and be able to actually do things with them.

By keeping a lower load, you make sure that you do actually absorb those concepts. Also, what's the difference between signing up for 15 credit-hours and signing up for 18 but dropping 1 class 2-3 weeks in? Why should the second case be punished for at least attempting the thicker work scheme before dropping down to 15.

woops

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Talonus
Loner
posted 09-26-2005 05:56:22 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Naimah said this:

I have it on authority that your company has a shitty HR department then. GPA gets one foot in the door, but doesn't lock people out. By your logic, someone with 10 years experience would have their resume with a 3.0 GPA dropped over some fresh out of college kid with a 4.0 GPA and no experience. That's just silly.

Also, you can be 5 weeks into a project in quit (barring a contract that you were stupid enough to get into in the first place). Oh sure, you won't exactly want to fess up to that when you're looking for your next job, but they can't keep you from quitting.

Hireko
Kill a fish before breakfast each day
posted 09-27-2005 12:06:20 AM
quote:
Verily, diadem doth proclaim:

Do you see a degree as just a piece of paper, or something worth a damn? Also, what major did you have? I'm curious to see if this is because I had a technical major, and would like to know if the whole mentality just changed recently.

At the school I went to, you had to work pretty hard for the more technical majors. However, anyone who wanted a degree could certainly get one in something non-technical if they were reasonably financially supported and healthy.

A BA or BS is not worth much more than a high school diploma used to be unless its in engineering or one of the tough sciences.

Those who dance are thought insane by those who can't hear the music.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-27-2005 01:02:17 AM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabits doth run and play while Hireko gently hums:
At the school I went to, you had to work pretty hard for the more technical majors. However, anyone who wanted a degree could certainly get one in something non-technical if they were reasonably financially supported and healthy.

A BA or BS is not worth much more than a high school diploma used to be unless its in engineering or one of the tough sciences.

Bullshit. Very few of the folks who say stupid shit like that would've survived either my undergrad BS (in English) or my MA in English.

There are worthless assholes in every department--don't kid yourself that you're somehow special.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 09-27-2005 01:58:03 AM
quote:
Bloodsage painfully thought these words up:
Bullshit. Very few of the folks who say stupid shit like that would've survived either my undergrad BS (in English) or my MA in English.

There are worthless assholes in every department--don't kid yourself that you're somehow special.

While I'm inclined to agree with you, I'd also like to point out that there is a difference in at least the time investement between majors. At my University, the entire College of Business has no class on Fridays, compared to my "Oh my god, I never leave lab" life as a College of Engineering student.

Yes, there are worthless assholes in every department, but some of them have more than others.

Hireko
posted 09-27-2005 02:08:58 AM
Bloodsage, you're making the fundamentally wrong assumption that I was in one of the majors I say are worth something. This isn't the opinion of an engineer dissing people for not being in his major, its how things are at my local state school. Our science and engineering departments are tough and demanding, most of our other departments are easy routes to a diploma.

Every friend I had that was in a non-technical major graduated, many of which weren't academically gifted. My friends in technical majors are a mixed bag, some were weeded out, a few made it through, some are still at it eight years later. School beaurocracy, lack of english speaking teachers, and financial problems are usually a bigger hindrance to graduating than anything academic here.

That isn't to say that piece of paper isn't worthhwile, it will get you jobs easier even outside your chosen field. But do I see most degrees of pieces of paper, as Diadem asked? Yes.

Addon:

My low opinions of non-technical degrees are about the ones being pumped out now. I know that several years before I hit the college system they meant a lot more. Old degrees are worth more than new degrees, by a lot.

Hireko fucked around with this message on 09-27-2005 at 02:20 AM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-27-2005 09:44:01 AM
And you're making the huge mistake of extrapolating your own experience--a single data point--into a sweeping generalization. Unless you have some evidence that what you say is true across the board, you're simply blowing smoke. Nor does time spent at a task equal intellectual difficulty. That's another silly notion.

Hireko
posted 09-27-2005 02:18:51 PM
quote:
Do you see a degree as just a piece of paper, or something worth a damn?

I'm just giving Diadem one datapoint and trying to answer his question, which was one of opinion. *shrugs*

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-27-2005 03:16:41 PM
quote:
Hireko startled the peaceful upland Gorillas by blurting:
I'm just giving Diadem one datapoint and trying to answer his question, which was one of opinion. *shrugs*

You didn't say, "Where I am, I notice that technical majors are more difficult, and the fuzzy ones are too easy," which would have been an answer to the question. Instead, you made a sweeping generalization based on a single data point. They are not the same thing.

Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 09-27-2005 05:51:00 PM
I've gone to college a few times, but I never finished. The whole classroom learning thing grates on my nerves to no end. I feel like I get a lot more accomplished when I learn things on my own, though most people wouldn't see it that way, I'm quite sure.
Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 09-27-2005 10:29:12 PM
quote:
Xyrra got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
I've gone to college a few times, but I never finished. The whole classroom learning thing grates on my nerves to no end. I feel like I get a lot more accomplished when I learn things on my own, though most people wouldn't see it that way, I'm quite sure.

You don't *have* to go to class.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: