EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Poll: What is your WoW Account Status?
Author
Topic: A Poll of Subscription Status
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 06-07-2005 09:16:01 AM
quote:
Drysart got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
It broke the EQ addiction for many people, yeah. For that reason alone I've crowned WoW the official "EQ Killer", but not because it enraptured people better than EQ did (can you believe it appears that most people were anticipating WoW longer than they actually ended up playing it?), just that it distracted them from EQ long enough to stop them from going back to it.

Look at any gaming message board, people always anticipate the game long before it comes out. How long were people babbling about Horizons? Then about WoW, now people are doing the same thing with Vanguard, a game written by a designer everyone seemed to hate, yet now hail as the next gaming Jesus.

It's quite amusing.

quote:

WoW's still healthy (for the time being), don't get me wrong I'm not eulogizing it, but it's quite clear by the poll results from this group of people that it's failed to live up to the lofty standards the fanbois were predicting

This is not a good place to be taking a gamers poll, honestly. Most people here have incredibly short attention spans, a good portion are strictly beta players, and the majority never make it past the first month or two on any of the games out there.

And I agree, this group also has a very high standard for MMOGs.

I remember before WoW's release, people kept going on and on how "level 60 is just the beginning!" and if you didnt agree with them, you were just a labeled a nay sayer and told not to play the game.

Hilarity.

Reynar fucked around with this message on 06-07-2005 at 09:16 AM.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Hireko
Kill a fish before breakfast each day
posted 06-07-2005 11:23:51 AM
My account is still open, but mostly because a friend of mine doesn't want his level 50 to become unavailable.

After I move, I think I'll begin playing more again. Until then, my current addiction is HoMM4.

Those who dance are thought insane by those who can't hear the music.
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 06-07-2005 12:57:50 PM
I canceled my account. I've just lost all joy in solo grinding and that's really all there was to do in WoW even in a guild with friends. Since there's no way to bridge level gaps there's simply no way to group with friends who are more than +/- 5 levels or so without it being a PL fest either way. So that leads to near endless solo'ing which just got to be a total drag.

Even with all its other problems SWG allows for a CoH-like artificial level up so that you can group with friends who are higher level. This at least gives a hope of being able to do things other than endlessly solo grind XP.

Alaan
posted 06-07-2005 02:14:12 PM
quote:
Willias had this to say about Duck Tales:
For example, there is a little fact stated by a Horde npc in Azshara, that the tauren (she named a leader, and I can't remember her name, Elder Crone or something like that) are trying to find a way to turn the undead back into humans (curing the Scourge's taint and restoring life). There is no mention of this anywhere else in the game, and it actually gives a good reason as to why the Tauren don't mind being with the undead. WHY IS THERE NO MENTION OF THIS ELSE WHERE AND WHY ARE THERE NO QUESTS THAT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT? ARGH! [/small]

Actually, I've done a few other quests getting stuff for the Tauren trying to help the Undead. There is definitely a Horde based out of Crossroads.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 06-07-2005 04:01:10 PM
I think they're built for different demographics. EQ was great if you were a hardcore gamer, but sucked for casual gaming. I find WoW much better than EQ ever was in terms of casual gaming. . .but the very qualities that make it so mean that the hardcore folks are done with it and bored.

I'm not sure it's possible to make a game accessible to casual gamers and still keep the hardcore folks interested for long.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 06-07-2005 04:07:53 PM
quote:
Dr. Gee probably says this to all the girls:

Even with all its other problems SWG allows for a CoH-like artificial level up so that you can group with friends who are higher level.

EQII has a reverse but similar system. Higher levels can mentor down to the level of their friends and join them for different things. The are essentially that level as long as they are mentoring, which means arnor and skills all scale down, too.

I like SWG's version too although it was a pain just sitting and sucking up faction so I would be able to heal my partymates, since they were all overt Imps. Now I can heal and start working on my medical experience.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Blackened
posted 06-07-2005 04:24:44 PM
quote:
Drysart got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
You were one of the people most excited about the game, and you've quit.
After over a year and a half of playing, yes. I've already played this game longer than many people ever will, as well as done just about everything that's worth doing. I think I gave this game plenty of time to turn around. My quitting was not something I wanted nor enjoyed.

Also, playing through alpha/beta was a good experience. Every patch brought a lot of content to the game and kept it fresh and exciting. It's just sad they couldn't keep up with that after release.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 06-07-2005 05:12:03 PM
I'm still playing.

53 atm, and, there's only really two reasons I'm this far:

1) I joined the server with a couple of friends who I still play with

2) I'm on a pvp server, which is a new experience

I don't know how much I'll enjoy 60 content. I mean, yeah, Blizzard has been really, really slow. And I don't know how good BGs are, although they'll probably be a good timewaster for me.

We'll see. It makes me sad that there isn't a whole lot of 60 content (I mean, WR for mercy sakes has a bijillion zones ;p, although that comparison comes with some snags, of course), and I don't know if I'm going to join a high-end guild or not.

As a hunter, I must admit, PVP is really stupid and unbalanced in some points. I'm tired of being forced to kite every single freaking person I see, minus other hunters, because the most effective strategy is to rush a hunter (due to their really compratively awful close-range skills, haha).

And although this problem is lessened in group pvp, it still happens all the time versus any smart group. Who wouldn't rush me, knowing that I can't heal myself, I'm not that durable, and you're effectively cutting me off from doing a whole lot in the chaos? ;p

But it's fun stalking people and pseudo-ganking them. ;p

I had always thought this MMORPG wouldn't be great, but, after they implemented the rest system (which I use all the time, due to busyness), I thought "Wow, these guys might have some brilliant ideas. Maybe it will be pretty good."

And it's been okay. If Blizzard can get on their horses and really produce a patch per month, they might be alright.

Grammar is your enemy! - While being able to understand someone's sentences might seem like a good idea for a proper essay, complaining on a forum scarcely leaves time for such trivialities. Write fast! You're angry, grrr! Make that show, and forget about things like capital letters, punctuation, and verbs.
Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 06-07-2005 07:07:20 PM
Hey, also, Blackened, quick question. Do you think Blizzard designed the PVP honor system to try to whet/stall the hardcore gamers while they try desperately to get new contact?

The whole system in general is really casual unfriendly. I get 3k CPs a week, 500 ranking, and I've been stuck on rank 3 for THREE WEEKS. I'm fairly convinced I've already hit the rank threshold for my pvp level. The gear rental is counterintuitive to what brings a lot of people to MMORPGs in general (that is, character growth).

Is this a stall by Blizzard?

Grammar is your enemy! - While being able to understand someone's sentences might seem like a good idea for a proper essay, complaining on a forum scarcely leaves time for such trivialities. Write fast! You're angry, grrr! Make that show, and forget about things like capital letters, punctuation, and verbs.
Blackened
posted 06-07-2005 07:21:48 PM
quote:
Lenlalron Flameblaster probably says this to all the girls:
Is this a stall by Blizzard?
It could easily be seen that way. There really is no worthwhile reward to PvPing, nor it is even necessary to advance in the game in any way. But still you need to PvP rather hardcore-style to advance/stay in the lead.

Willias
Pancake
posted 06-07-2005 10:17:24 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Blackened wrote:
Also, playing through alpha/beta was a good experience. Every patch brought a lot of content to the game and kept it fresh and exciting. It's just sad they couldn't keep up with that after release.

Not trying to delve for too much information here, but what has happened at Blizz? During Alpha/Beta, was the content they kept putting into the game already well tested and designed? Or has something happened at Blizzard, and they've seriously slowed down for some reason?

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 06-07-2005 10:28:04 PM
quote:
Alidane had this to say about Cuba:
I'd tell you how to download it off the Station LaunchPad, but you play Vanu. Fucking spammy, backhacking assholes.

change a launchpad shortcut target to '"C:\Program Files\Sony\Launchpad\LaunchPad.exe" /game lanetside' and it'll download

I thought you switched to Vanu..

Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 06-07-2005 11:41:58 PM
I wonder what my answer to this poll will be.

Oh yea... check this shit out. Remember the whole "no waiting" thing from SoE? Guess SoE just can't help themselves but poke fun at WoW.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-07-2005 11:45:30 PM
quote:
Pesco had this to say about Captain Planet:

Oh yea... check this shit out. Remember the whole "no waiting" thing from SoE? Guess SoE just can't help themselves but poke fun at WoW.

More like desperately try to add to the three-person playerbase.

I'm sure EQ2 is a fine game and all, but let's be serious. They aren't "poking fun," they've been desperately whoring themsleves out to try and get even a fraction of WoW's popularity.

Pesco
posted 06-07-2005 11:53:40 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Mr. Parcelan said:
More like desperately try to add to the three-person playerbase.

I'm sure EQ2 is a fine game and all, but let's be serious. They aren't "poking fun," they've been desperately whoring themsleves out to try and get even a fraction of WoW's popularity.

How did I know you'd be the first to respond?

Pesco fucked around with this message on 06-07-2005 at 11:53 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-07-2005 11:58:42 PM
quote:
Pesco painfully thought these words up:
How did I know you'd be the first to respond?

I sure hope you have more than smarmy responses and less-visible desires to just cause trouble if you want to keep posting in this thread.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 06-08-2005 12:20:16 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Pesco said this:

Having pre-made tested, packaged and ready to ship stuff at launch does not a good game make.

"Added 1100 quests!" Okay. That's awesome; I'd venture there's about double that number of quests hordeside.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 06-08-2005 12:45:42 AM
quote:
Fizodeth had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
I thought you switched to Vanu..

I have a Vanu on Emerald. I still spend a majority of my time on Markov/NC.

Pesco
posted 06-08-2005 02:10:58 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan obviously shouldn't have said:
I sure hope you have more than smarmy responses and less-visible desires to just cause trouble if you want to keep posting in this thread.

Oh I do but absolutely none of them involve your comments.

quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about Knight Rider:
Having pre-made tested, packaged and ready to ship stuff at launch does not a good game make.

"Added 1100 quests!" Okay. That's awesome; I'd venture there's about double that number of quests hordeside.

Not sure exactly where you are going with this. Both games had that at launch so your first comment confuses me.

Secondly, Blizzard added 2200 quests for the hoard since launch? Or there are 2200 pre-existing quests. Because, yea, there is a shit ton of quests in each of the cities and various zones in EQII. So again, I'm confused.

But that is beside the point. The point was, SoE keeps jabbing at Blizzard's wounds. I actually was not posting in SoE's favor to begin with since I personally see no reason for it. But I'm well aware it is a valid marketing tactic.

Willias
Pancake
posted 06-08-2005 02:30:06 AM
quote:
Pesco was naked while typing this:
Not sure exactly where you are going with this. Both games had that at launch so your first comment confuses me.

Secondly, Blizzard added 2200 quests for the hoard since launch? Or there are 2200 pre-existing quests. Because, yea, there is a shit ton of quests in each of the cities and various zones in EQII. So again, I'm confused.

But that is beside the point. The point was, SoE keeps jabbing at Blizzard's wounds. I actually was not posting in SoE's favor to begin with since I personally see no reason for it. But I'm well aware it is a valid marketing tactic.

They can keep jabbing at Blizzard's wounds as well. Blizzard doesn't really seem to care. They have such a large fan base that will agree with a lot of what they do, Blizzard doesn't really care I'd think. And to tell the truth, I don't think 1100+ quests have been added to WoW since release. But then again, I also know that probably 1/4 of the quests that SoE added since launch are probably delivery quests or quests so small or mundane that calling them quests is stretching the truth a bit.

Honestly, I don't like EQ2. I like EQ1, I don't like EQ2. I personally think that Sony should stop wasting time with EQ2. Do a complete revamp of EQ1 and make it prettier, rebalance classes, make quests have a point like in most modern day games (which would take more effort and time than Sony would want to put out and/or pay for) and I think they'd have a large player base in EQ1 again. Even playing WR, I still can feel the little sparkle that the original EQ had.

Pesco
posted 06-08-2005 02:35:55 AM
SoE did something similiar when EQ was top dog. Every once in awhile, they'd make a response to something another company did. But overall, I don't think they really worried about their competition til recently. Guess that is just how it works when you are the major competitor.
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 06-08-2005 02:43:38 AM
OMG dudes my game is soooo much better than your game.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 06-08-2005 02:45:20 AM
quote:
Trent got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:

nuh uh

Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
I've had a few beers but I'm cool to drive
posted 06-08-2005 02:53:01 AM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough had this to say about John Romero:
nuh uh

don't even start about your dumb game, you have like no players and even less suscribers so stfu my game rules!

'But if I had a shotgun you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heavan on down for you'

Bradley Nowell
Pesco
posted 06-08-2005 02:54:06 AM
quote:
Trent had this to say about John Romero:

Did you even read the thread? Or are you just posting this because you saw my name and assumed I would post "WoW sux, EQII rox lololololololol!!!1".

I could say "SoE is a bunch of money-grubbing ass-clowns" and yall would still think I was somehow praising EQ as a gift from god. I swear.

People are so willing to take things out of context here it is amazing.

Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
I've had a few beers but I'm cool to drive
posted 06-08-2005 02:56:47 AM
quote:
Pesco thought about the meaning of life:
Did you even read the thread? Or are you just posting this because you saw my name and assumed I would post "WoW sux, EQII rox lololololololol!!!1".

I could say "SoE is a bunch of money-grubbing ass-clowns" and yall would still think I was somehow praising EQ as a gift from god. I swear.

I can't speak for Trent, but I wasn't singling you out. I'm making fun of pretty much anyone that wang-waves over a game.

'But if I had a shotgun you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heavan on down for you'

Bradley Nowell
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 06-08-2005 03:05:25 AM
quote:
Caid '5 Fists' Berrit stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
I can't speak for Trent, but I wasn't singling you out. I'm making fun of pretty much anyone that wang-waves over a game.

Ditto.

Tier
posted 06-08-2005 03:12:28 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Pesco!

Wow, way to blow things out of proportion there. I never, ever even dreamed that his comment might've been tangentially aimed at you, yet you take it personally... I doubt it was, for that matter.

Lighten off, man, it's just a game, and different games attract (and retain, mind you) different people! =)

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 06-08-2005 03:23:05 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Pesco said:

Stop being a shit-disturber.

If you are not going to contribute in even a slightly positive manner, call me something demeaning and leave.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Pesco
posted 06-08-2005 03:23:10 AM
It appears this is a result of poor timing on several parties.
Blackened
posted 06-08-2005 04:40:04 AM
quote:
Pesco had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
It appears this is a result of poor timing on several parties.
Way to fag up the thread.

Blackened fucked around with this message on 06-08-2005 at 04:40 AM.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 06-08-2005 11:13:56 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Willias said this:
I also know that probably 1/4 of the quests that SoE added since launch are probably delivery quests or quests so small or mundane that calling them quests is stretching the truth a bit.

However, many of these small or mundane quests are prerequisites for the quest giver to give you more extensive and rewarding quests. So I wouldn't discount the easy and mundane quests that easily.

Malbi
posted 06-08-2005 12:43:11 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael thought about the meaning of life:
However, many of these small or mundane quests are prerequisites for the quest giver to give you more extensive and rewarding quests. So I wouldn't discount the easy and mundane quests that easily.

and some of those easy amd mundane quests were fun like the ones involving the drunk barbarian and dwarf hehehe

I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-08-2005 01:04:04 PM
quote:
Bloodsage screamed this from the crapper:
I'm not sure it's possible to make a game accessible to casual gamers and still keep the hardcore folks interested for long.

You'd essentially have to make two games, or two very distinct tracks within the same game. Casual players could advance easier, but could never hope to reasonably attain the kind of power hardcore players could(like, say, have a level cap of half that of the "hard" track). Similarly, hardcore players would have a harder time advancing, but have the potential to be the most powerful players in the game. You could probably tie it into the game's plot somehow.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Father McKenzie
Pancake
posted 06-08-2005 01:34:33 PM
quote:
Karnaj's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
You'd essentially have to make two games, or two very distinct tracks within the same game. Casual players could advance easier, but could never hope to reasonably attain the kind of power hardcore players could(like, say, have a level cap of half that of the "hard" track). Similarly, hardcore players would have a harder time advancing, but have the potential to be the most powerful players in the game. You could probably tie it into the game's plot somehow.

But then you have the problem WoW has.

Casual gamers complain that they'll never reach the power hardcore gamers have ("I should be able to put 7 1 hour sessions together to equal 1 7 hour session, no matter that the 7 hour session is intensely more difficult and requires cooperation of 40 or so people").

And if Casual Gamers could get the power hardcore gamers could get then you'd have the hardcore gamers feeling that their hard work profited them nothing.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 06-08-2005 02:20:53 PM
quote:
This one time, at Father McKenzie camp:
But then you have the problem WoW has.

Casual gamers complain that they'll never reach the power hardcore gamers have ("I should be able to put 7 1 hour sessions together to equal 1 7 hour session, no matter that the 7 hour session is intensely more difficult and requires cooperation of 40 or so people").

And if Casual Gamers could get the power hardcore gamers could get then you'd have the hardcore gamers feeling that their hard work profited them nothing.

You totally missed his point.

-H

Father McKenzie
Pancake
posted 06-08-2005 02:50:09 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Hellbender wrote:
You totally missed his point.

-H

I understand the making two different games. But then that doesn't really fix the problem of having a game that appeals to both audiences. I don't see anything in his post that changes what I said. He said that hardcore gamers would work harder and achieve better things. Casual gamers work less and achieve lesser things. This does not work as gamers still feel there is an injustice occurring.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 06-08-2005 04:14:18 PM
Of course that viewpoint is flawed. In my heyday in EQ, I was online every night for hours at a time. I played all day on the weekends. I played more per week than many in hardcore raiding guilds. With many of them, to get to that point, they just had to log on and get gimped in or PLed to where they wer.

I give props to those who came first and really did have to work. But it's flawed logic to go Hardcore Raiding Guild=Did more work. In many cases, especially now, it's just not true.

Not to mention that for the run-of-the-mill particpant, raiding isn't challenging. For the leaders to get all those cats doing the same thing, yes. For the average member, it's just following directions. That's not doing more work.

Mike the Butcher
Pancake
posted 06-08-2005 06:10:25 PM
Hey guys and gals,

I was curious if anyone that has a canceled account could let me activate it up and dink around on it. I want to try the game out but dont have much cash to spare these days. Obviously if you ever wanted to start playing again I would gladly stop using your account.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 06-08-2005 06:42:23 PM
quote:
Willias attempted to be funny by writing:
But then again, I also know that probably 1/4 of the quests that SoE added since launch are probably delivery quests or quests so small or mundane that calling them quests is stretching the truth a bit.

Apparently you don't know what you think you know. I mean, have you even done any WoW quests? THey follow the same cookie-cutter principles as any quests in any other MMO. They all want you to farm certain mobs for quest drops, or deliver something to someone, or go kill certain mobs in succession, or maybe a line of quests combining all of these things.

I'm not trying to say that this is necessarily a bad thing, but there's no reason to try and say that WoW's quest material is any better than the quest material in any other game in the genre, because you'd be lying

All these games have their quests that are unique and sometimes even innovative. But they all also have more than their share of mundane "stretching the truth to call them quests" quests.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: