EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: First anime you ever watched?
Zair
The Imp
posted 12-14-2003 05:52:39 PM
quote:
Alek Saege had this to say about (_|_):
I hated that movie with a virulent passion!

Seriously? I loved it.

Death of Rats
Pancake
posted 12-14-2003 05:58:28 PM
ummm, besides saturday morning cartoons I think, it was Akira
A particularly crafty sea lion is befuddling the Army Corps of Engineers, who have come to believe the 1,000-pound mammal is either from hell -- or from Harvard.
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 12-14-2003 06:03:59 PM
Does Voltron count? Then Voltron.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 12-14-2003 06:17:00 PM
quote:
Alek Saege's account was hax0red to write:

You sir have no taste, whatsoever! <throws a cookie gauntlet at Alek!>

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 12-14-2003 06:18:39 PM
quote:
Katrinity said this about your mom:
You sir have no taste, whatsoever! <throws a cookie gauntlet at Alek!>

He's probably just mad because someone probably cut off a deer's head in whichever country he says he's from.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Mayor of Townsville
Pancake
posted 12-14-2003 06:26:42 PM
Samurai Pizza Cats, yo. One of my favoritest shows ever! ^_^ If only it still came on...
The city of Townsville... is entirely mine!
Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 12-14-2003 06:30:55 PM
When I was a kid, Voltron and Speed Racer.

Forgot all about japanese cartoons for awhile, but then picked up again after watching Venus Wars and Akira.

Janus.
I am not a woman
posted 12-14-2003 06:50:04 PM
I can't remember the name of it, twas quite a while ago. It was during Scifi's animefest, it was either 1993 or 1994.
It was about a man, his body gets compleatly torn up in a lab explosion, so he crawls into some sort of devise and transfers him into a robot body, that looked a hell of a like Mega Man X.
Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 12-14-2003 06:52:31 PM
Sailor Moon.
Taeolas
Pancake
posted 12-14-2003 07:24:46 PM
Not sure. I think Voltron, Transformers and Astroboy were the first few I remember, though I never really thought of them as Anime. Didn't really know of Anime as Anime till I got to university.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 12-14-2003 07:38:55 PM
Pokemon, I think

First series that I ever actually watched and paid attention to that WASN'T Pokemon would be, uhh... Slayers? I think?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 12-14-2003 07:39:46 PM
quote:
Alek Saege had this to say about Robocop:

That's because you're a terrible person

Valso
Pancake
posted 12-14-2003 07:43:49 PM
If Transformers/Robotech/(some other show i can't remeber) then that...
Otherwise, something off SciFi around 7/8th grade. I Know they use to play Akira and Venus Wars (both of which i own now) and a fwe others i can't rmemeber. About eh... 8-9 years ago.

Voltron, that was the other show! (Just read other posts... lol)

[ 12-14-2003: Message edited by: Valso ]

(blank)
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 12-14-2003 07:49:11 PM
Transformers: The Movie and The Last Unicorn were animated in Japan, but that's where their association with our friends across the Pacific end. Technically speaking, they wouldn't be called anime.

Anyway, the first Japanese cartoon I ever saw was Tranzor Z, according to my parents. The first one I actually remember is Voltron. The first one that wasn't mutilated to make it palletable to single-digit-aged children was Roujin Z, I think.

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Razor
posted 12-14-2003 07:56:01 PM
My first was Iria, then GE999, gatachaman (aka G-force), and Uresei Yatsura.
Iria hooked me. Then I saw Macross *drool* (Yes Minmei IS a bimbo). Also saw Sailor moon Super S when they were showing it on XEWT (spanish station, now that I look back, it had the full lesbian action in it...). Then about 10th grade, found Ranma manga.... seeing as it was the same author of Uresei Yatsura, I delved into it...

quote:
Janus. had this to say about Duck Tales:
I can't remember the name of it, twas quite a while ago. It was during Scifi's animefest, it was either 1993 or 1994.
It was about a man, his body gets compleatly torn up in a lab explosion, so he crawls into some sort of devise and transfers him into a robot body, that looked a hell of a like Mega Man X.

*has that whole week of anime from back then recorded on video.*
'8 man after' was the name.

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Bloodrose
Pancake
posted 12-14-2003 08:05:36 PM
Hrmms.

First I ever Remember Watching.... Bubblegum Crisis. And at the Same time Ranma 1/2

~That which yields, is not always weak~
Ragabash
Pancake
posted 12-14-2003 08:21:46 PM
Voltron

But the first one I saw that I knew was anime when watching it was Akira.

Feed my hungry soul.
Alaan
posted 12-14-2003 08:25:26 PM
I think Robotech was for me.
Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 12-14-2003 08:30:51 PM
quote:
Verily, Khyron doth proclaim:
As a note of mention...

ALL Naruto episodes up to 62, are on the FTP. Every single one from 1 to 62 are there.

It's.

So.

Good

Do ya got the speeecial?

I do!

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 12-15-2003 01:31:13 AM
uploaded the Naruto special. Enjoy ^_^
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 12-15-2003 01:36:59 AM
Battle of the Planets.
aka: Gatachaman

[ 12-15-2003: Message edited by: Palador ChibiDragon ]

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 12-15-2003 01:45:10 AM
Voltron, Starblazers, Robotech, in that order. Used to watch Voltron before I went to school.

I don't really count Transformers as being anime...

Dad got into Astroboy when we first moved down to NC when I was 10, and I saw a few episodes of that.

Years later I was reintroduced to the genre when I was in high school; went to the local university's anime club and got hit with a triple whammy of Ninja Scroll, Ranma 1/2, and Tenchi Muyo: In Love.

Of course in the midst of that I watched a lot of American cartoons as well (Batman: The Animated Series, X-Men, etc)

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 12-15-2003 02:14:35 AM
Galaxy Express, if I could own that movie I would.

I hold onto childhood memories like that. The movie sucks, basically, but when I was a 5 year old it kicked ass (Plus the ice/Pluto chick had boobies!)

So its always been important.

The Last Unicorn isn't anime. SO that doesn't count.. It however is the inspiration for everything i became, artistically speaking.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 12-15-2003 02:35:17 AM
Robotech, on PBS.

With my dad.

It was so cool. He bought our first bootlegged Ranma tapes, too, and recorded Sailor Moon (on every morning at 5:30 AM).

I love my dad. ^_^ He's the coolest.

Synjari
Warrior Princess
Cookie Seraphim!
posted 12-15-2003 03:15:24 AM
*hugs Fae*

*ponders* Probably Robotech/Voltron..

"Villiany wears many masks, none of which are more dangerous than virtue." - "Sleepy Hollow"
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 12-15-2003 05:32:24 AM
Dominion Tank Police, I believe... I saw a bit of an episode of it somewhere when I was pretty young, and that just SO held my attention. It's still my favorite series out there. God, I wish they'd make more...
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 12-15-2003 05:50:16 AM
DBZ when I was like 5 on my way from washington to california at some motel.
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 12-15-2003 08:27:26 AM
quote:
Kalculus Kid or Mathinator or Waisz painfully thought these words up:
He's probably just mad because someone probably cut off a deer's head in whichever country he says he's from.

Actually it was 'cuz I wanted to get laid with this one chick and I had to watch the movie with her before I had an opportunity for that. Therefore, I didn't really enjoy the movie since I was waiting for the prize at the end.

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 12-15-2003 08:28:26 AM
quote:
Kegwen got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
That's because you're a terrible person

You've been talking with my roommate haven't you.

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 12-15-2003 08:28:51 AM
Voltron was the first show as a child, but my first expirence as a real person was with Akira, then I watched vampire hunter D, then I watched Record of Lodoss War, then I got into blue seed... well it just kept going from there.
bob12121212
Pancake
posted 12-15-2003 08:53:40 AM
Samurai Pizza Cats and the original Dragon Ball were my first...
Caanis Lupus
Rub me?
posted 12-15-2003 11:00:55 AM
Voltron, G-Force, Robotech, and Starblazers. Saturday mornings were good and Kung-fu theater on Sundays.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 12-15-2003 11:05:45 AM
quote:
The Azure Knight had this to say about dark elf butts:
Samurai Pizza Cats and the original Dragon Ball were my first...

YES! Those were on one of those befoer school things back before they started started sucking

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 12-15-2003 11:10:09 AM
I actually lived next door to a Japanese family who's kids were my age and were born in America. There parents tried to immerse them in all things Japanese to soak their culture into the kids. So I got to go over all the time and watch their un-dubbed-un-subbed original Japanese series. Saw Dragonball prior to edits, when you see Goku and Bulma nekkid. Saw some of the original series that inspired Power Rangers.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 12-15-2003 11:16:39 AM
quote:
Katrinity stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
I actually lived next door to a Japanese family who's kids were my age and were born in America. There parents tried to immerse them in all things Japanese to soak their culture into the kids. So I got to go over all the time and watch their un-dubbed-un-subbed original Japanese series. Saw Dragonball prior to edits, when you see Goku and Bulma nekkid. Saw some of the original series that inspired Power Rangers.

How did you know what was going on? Did they teach you some Japanese?

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 12-15-2003 11:17:46 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Blindy Claus wrote:

Nope. Mostly I didn't have much clue what was going on. They would tell me some minor things like, "Ok, now they're going to this place to get the next Dragonball."

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Alt-F4
Pancake
posted 12-15-2003 11:41:09 AM
My first one would be Voltron, about 10 years ago. The one that got me back into anime was, uhh, Fox's Escaflowne, which was 3-5 years ago.
"Well that still only counts as one."
-Gimli
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 12-15-2003 12:34:41 PM
Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

Thanks to Kat and the others for helping me track it down.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 12-15-2003 12:36:09 PM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about Knight Rider:
Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

Thanks to Kat and the others for helping me track it down.

Omg...I thought it was all me?

<hands Az a cookie>

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 12-15-2003 12:37:36 PM
quote:
Blindy Claus spewed forth this undeniable truth:

I think she's turning Japanese.
I'm doomed.

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: