EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Locking Threads
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 06-12-2003 06:41:29 PM
If all someone is going to do is complain about their feelings then why should they throw their lot in? If someone knows that it is going to degrade to a flame war and want nothing to do with it, then why not have nothing to do with it.
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 06-12-2003 06:41:34 PM
quote:
Bajah had this to say about Punky Brewster:
Is anyone else confused by this? Naimah claims public public public, then turns around and says certain people directly mentioned in a thread should leave it well enough alone and stay out of it.

I'm at a loss. Tell me I'm not alone here.

You're not alone here.

Sometimes it feels like there should be an announcer. "This week on, What's Wrong With the Boards with Naimah..."

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 06-12-2003 06:42:25 PM
"This week with spelling Nazi's..."
Azrael Heavenblade
Damn Dirty Godmoder
posted 06-12-2003 06:42:42 PM
quote:
So quoth Naimah:
If all someone is going to do is complain about their feelings then why should they throw their lot in? If someone knows that it is going to degrade to a flame war and want nothing to do with it, then why not have nothing to do with it.

Kinda hard to do that when other people drag you into it, bud.

"The basic tool for manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them." - Philip K. Dick
Steven Steve
posted 06-12-2003 06:42:56 PM
Actually, Bajah misspelled "hypocrite," so I guess it's all good.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

V
Pancake
posted 06-12-2003 06:45:10 PM
And this is exactly why some things should be in PMs.

If a person requests an item to be taken to PMs it is generally a good idea to do so. Certain topics do degenerate into flames just based off the topic alone due to vastly differing ideas.. just like this one happens to be doing at the moment.

If a person takes a thread that is directed at them to PMs and locks it, that is ok. Not everyone actively uses PMs so it isnt top on their minds. Once again, this would be one of those "deal with it" situations.

I suggest this get settled quickly or the third time I have to visit will not be so nice. Three strikes and you are out!

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 06-12-2003 06:46:41 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Naimah said this:
"This week with spelling Nazi's..."

You were calling out hypocrites, thought I'd add it in too.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 06-12-2003 06:47:58 PM
quote:
Fazum'Zen Fastfist had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Actually, Bajah misspelled "hypocrite," so I guess it's all good.

Damn you, Ninja Nazi. Damn you to hell.

Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 06-12-2003 06:51:29 PM
I think the proper usage is Nazis, not Nazi's.
Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 06-12-2003 06:51:44 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about Captain Planet:
I'll spell it with fifty y's if I want to.

Hey hey HEY!

You ungrateful sod. What sort of thanks is that to Proff. James Murray and Dr. W. C. Minor?

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-12-2003 06:56:46 PM
I did it because I didn't want to hear all about people's own "personal" religions.

Anyone else who did it is just trying to be as cool as I am.

Steven Steve
posted 06-12-2003 06:57:08 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Bajah said:
Damn you, Ninja Nazi. Damn you to hell.

FINE

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 06-12-2003 07:02:32 PM
quote:
Naimah thought about the meaning of life:
You, sir, are being a hypocrit.

This applys to no one but me so why should it be in public view?

It was an A and B conversation. So C your way out.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 06-12-2003 07:04:50 PM
quote:
Rurouni Densetsu thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
It was an A and B conversation. So C your way out.

!!! I am amused by that.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 06-12-2003 07:05:15 PM
You are a clever guy.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-12-2003 07:06:20 PM
quote:
Naimah stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
You are a clever guy.

I chuckled at it.

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 06-12-2003 07:37:16 PM
so let me get this straight.. let me know if i missed anything.

Old Hickory poses a question directed to, and intended to be answered by Trillee
Trillee requests such discussion be taken to PM's, knowing how religion threads tend to spiral into madness.
Old Hickory agrees, and subsequently locks the thread
During that time, Naimah tells Trillee that if she wanted to avoid problems, she should have stayed away from the thread in the first place? while anyone else and there uncle jumps in to talk shop?

O_o

zee logic, eet doez nossing

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 06-12-2003 07:38:12 PM
logic in EC?

where the fuck have you been?

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 06-12-2003 07:39:28 PM
one the road and offline for over a month. Prior to my move to texas, logic still existed.
Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 06-12-2003 07:43:01 PM
quote:
Ka'Lourin D'thBlayde had this to say about the Spice Girls:
so let me get this straight.. let me know if i missed anything.

Old Hickory poses a question directed to, and intended to be answered by Trillee
Trillee requests such discussion be taken to PM's, knowing how religion threads tend to spiral into madness.
Old Hickory agrees, and subsequently locks the thread
During that time, Naimah tells Trillee that if she wanted to avoid problems, she should have stayed away from the thread in the first place? while anyone else and there uncle jumps in to talk shop?

O_o

zee logic, eet doez nossing

Aye! I've been a bad bad druid... =(

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 06-12-2003 07:45:38 PM
Any futher posts regarding me in this thread are to be directed to my PM box where they can be deleated.
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 06-12-2003 07:48:46 PM
OMGZ don't staunch public speech!!!

/sing The wheels on the bus go 'round and round, 'round and 'round. /sing

[ 06-12-2003: Message edited by: Not Trent ]

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 06-12-2003 07:52:54 PM
So wait you guys argue but won't let me change my position? What is the point of discussion then other then to fulfill your sadistic desiers.
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 06-12-2003 07:53:25 PM
None?
Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 06-12-2003 07:53:57 PM
I walk these streets,
A loaded six string on my back.
I play for keeps,
Because I might not make it back.
I've been everywhere,
And still I'm standing tall.
I've seen a million faces,
And I've rocked them all.

I'm a cowboy,
On a steel horse I ride.
I'm wanted.
Dead or alive.
'cuz I'm a cowboy.
I've got the night on my side.
And I'm wanted.
Dead or alive.

You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 06-12-2003 07:57:10 PM
quote:
Bajah stopped beating up furries long enough to write:

Politics and Religion will always have vastly different beliefs and cause arguments, so private discussions between people will always win out there... public debates on those subjects ALWAYS eventually go south.

Not always. Not that long ago, maybe a handful of months, we had a very nice, polite, and interesting discussion on different religions and why we believed the way we did. We've also had intelligent discussions that have gone extremely well and the majority of people stayed civil.

It's wrong to say they should never be discussed in public. They can be and should. But some ground rules have to be laid first that weren't in the thread in question. That's why things went south, not the subject itself coming up in the forums.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 06-12-2003 07:59:18 PM
Im just asking for a synopsis of the thread. I could care less of religious, political or sexual preferences.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 06-12-2003 08:03:07 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Duck Tales:
It's wrong to say they should never be discussed in public. They can be and should. But some ground rules have to be laid first that weren't in the thread in question. That's why things went south, not the subject itself coming up in the forums.

I never said they 'should never be discussed in public.'

I merely stated that if two parties wish to have a debate over something the two of them disagree on, then they should handle it amongst themselves in a private discussion. Otherwise more people will get involved and things tend to get heated up because it's a sensitive subject.

If the thread is created and intended for open discussion, then that's another thing altogether. However, as you said, ground rules would need to be stated - and that's not always going to work.

[ 06-12-2003: Message edited by: Bajah ]

Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 06-12-2003 08:04:36 PM
"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Koosh Man
Pancake
posted 06-12-2003 08:05:35 PM
That photoshop is not so good.
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 06-12-2003 08:05:41 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael painfully thought these words up:
Not always. Not that long ago, maybe a handful of months, we had a very nice, polite, and interesting discussion on different religions and why we believed the way we did. We've also had intelligent discussions that have gone extremely well and the majority of people stayed civil.

However, the thread was directed to me, I saw the people who had already gotten themselves involved, realised if I started explaining my thoughts to the questions directed TO ME, there will be a huge flame fest. So I asked for it to be locked before the mods got called in. (like they ended up being called in for this thread)

So reguardless of that one or two threads in the past, I felt that if he wanted to have a civil discussion with me, who he asked these questions to, without others, to PM me. He did. Naimah here felt that I shouldn't have anything to do with that thread, which is laughable.

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 06-12-2003 08:06:25 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when D wrote:

That one's a tad sloppy, and even I caught it.

Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 06-12-2003 08:06:43 PM
quote:
Someone Else stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
That photoshop is not so good.

I will break your face.

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 06-12-2003 08:09:08 PM
No, you said you knew that it would degrade into a flame fest if you posted in it. You could have sent your PM to answer the question and allow the thread to continue while never posting in it letting the thread live out its natural life span.
Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 06-12-2003 08:11:35 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Naimah was all like:
No, you said you knew that it would degrade into a flame fest if you posted in it. You could have sent your PM to answer the question and allow the thread to continue while never posting in it letting the thread live out its natural life span.

But it's natural life span was when Trill responded, since it was directed at her.

Even I'm confused now, and I work at McDonald's so I'm fluent in stupid.

You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 06-12-2003 08:13:50 PM
Actually, you said this, Bajah.

quote:

Bajah stopped beating up furries long enough to write:

Politics and Religion will always have vastly different beliefs and cause arguments, so private discussions between people will always win out there... public debates on those subjects ALWAYS eventually go south.

[/qb]

Your folly is saying "always". Always implies that you are indeed saying that it should never happen. I was disagreeing with your always by giving examples when always was wrong.

And Tril, that wasn't directed at your argument. It was Bajah's statement I was responding to. Although I do think you were less assertive than you could have been. You could easily have just given your opinion, but I think you put far too much value on the opinions of the boneheads around here and that holds you back from expressing yourself.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 06-12-2003 08:14:42 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about Duck Tales:

quote:
Trillee stated:
Now if you'll excuse me, either lock this damned thread, or let it fester into a flame fight, I don't care, I have a ten foot pole to use for it now.

So you're saying the thread was better off if just you and Bloodsage chittered back and forth? Regardless, you're wrong. She did NOT say it would degrade into a flame fest IF she posted in it. She stated that she felt it could if she had to defend herself in public. I think your reading skills need a brushing up. Now are you done with this thread or do you wanna keep going with the 'PM me and I'll delete it but I'll keep posting to look like an ass' routine?

So she didn't and asked the thread to be locked so that people wouldn't try to make her defend herself in public. I think she did the right thing.

YOU need to get off your high horse. If you want another civil religion thread without having one that directly points to Trillee, then MAKE ANOTHER THREAD.

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 06-12-2003 08:15:29 PM
Speaking of locking threads!
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 06-12-2003 08:16:27 PM
quote:
This one time, at Lyinar Ka`Bael camp:
Your folly is saying "always". Always implies that you are indeed saying that it should never happen. I was disagreeing with your always by giving examples when always was wrong.

I'll concede to your point. Perhaps I did use too strong of words. But I think we both now see each other's points.. aye?
Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 06-12-2003 08:19:10 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Bajah said:
I'll concede to your point. Perhaps I did use too strong of words. But I think we both now see each other's points.. aye?

But you said always.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: