EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Fal's D&D Game planning.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-13-2002 05:28:35 PM
OK. Ill make this post here as to no longer clutter up the main forum

I bought the 3 books I was planning to buy today (Books-a-million had a 20% off sale today). Looking to start around the end of the month or sometime in May, depending on how fast things go with the planning.

So Far, the following people have shown interest.

-----------------
Adrecia
Anklebitur
Khyron
Lyinar
NecroPriest
Densetsu
OtakuPenguin
Malkav
LastStrider
Reyolen
Waisztarroz
-----------

What I want from each of you:

1)When is a good time to play?
2)Is there a particular non traditional race you want to play? If so, NOW is the time to let me know so I can work them into the gameworld.
3)Is there a particular class/kit you want to play that isnt listed in any of the books? If so, send me the info on the class so I can go over it for balance and stuff.
4)What would you prefer to use to play? GRIP? IRC? Boards?

If you arent on this list, and want to be, post here and answer these questions.

IF you want off the list, post here.

Fal

[ 04-13-2002: Message edited by: Falaanla Marr ]

Reyolen
Wanders too much for a custom title
posted 04-13-2002 05:32:55 PM
Hi there Fal, I'd like to play in your campaign. A good time for me is usually between 3:00-8:00pm central time weekdays, and 1:00pm-12:00am on Saturday. There are no non-standard classes or races for me, at the moment.
Waisztarroz
I love democracy
posted 04-13-2002 06:37:31 PM
I would also like to play in your campaign, Fal.

A good time for me to play is on the weekends, pretty much at any time then, although I could work in evenings in the week.

I'm happy with standard races and classes.

I would like IRC...never seen GRIP, though.

Yes, that's right, hot live sex!
There's a raptor behind you.
Resident grammar whore.
Warning, flames imminent!
Addy
posted 04-15-2002 11:02:26 AM

Weekends preferably, around 6pm CST maybe?

2)Is there a particular non traditional race you want to play? If so, NOW is the time to let me know so I can work them into the gameworld.

DRAGON! Just kidding. *big grin* Nopers.

3)Is there a particular class/kit you want to play that isnt listed in any of the books? If so, send me the info on the class so I can go over it for balance and stuff.

I'll have to check, but probably not.

IRC or GRIP (would like to see what that's like). Boards are too slow.

ZaÂ’afiel
Coolest Hamster Pimp Ever!
posted 04-15-2002 01:37:20 PM

4pm - 7pm on weekdays, pretty much all day on weekends unless i have somthing to do

a dopleganger maby

the kensai is a warrior subclass.. +2 ac, +1 to hit and damage avery 5 levels, cant wear armour, helmets, or bracers.

I have GRIP on this comp and mIRC but the boards are to slow

[ 04-15-2002: Message edited by: Anklebitur D'gnome ]

"Consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 04-15-2002 02:39:03 PM
Uh, Hi... I'm Khyron... I'm... interested in the game... and...

OH GOD HELP ME I'VE NEVER BEEN AWAY FROM INNORUUK'S HOUSE OF PANCAKES AND I'M A SCARED SCARED TIGER!

Khyron cowers in the corner and whimpers.

Anyways...
1) I'm available most evenings. I get home from work at 7:00 EST most days, so after that is good for me.
2) If possible a tiger-like race (Like the vah'shir). I don't know if there's any pre-made races like this, as I haven't had too much exposure to D&D pre-3rd-ed, but if not, human is fine
3) Paladin or rogue is fine with me, either way.
4) Grip I don't know what it is, but I could learn if it's good. I've used IRC before. Boards seems like it would be too difficult.

[ 04-15-2002: Message edited by: Khyron ]

Maelarr
Pancake
posted 04-16-2002 04:19:45 PM
1)Weekends are best.
2)If at all possible a drow. (Who wasnt expecting that, C'mon now)
3)Not really, Sorceror or Ranger what I got in mind. Drow or otherwise.
4)IRC will do, but I kinda like GRIP more. Havent used GRIP in any game setting, but I like its setup.

All Empires Fall, You just have to know where to push- Me
Cleric Rogue Sigpic
Moshiah
Pancake
posted 04-16-2002 04:27:59 PM
I would love to join.

1)Weeknights or most weekends
2)If we could play evil I would like to play a drow wizard.
3)mboards or IRC is good. Never played on IRC though so I would have to learn quick.

Reyolen
Wanders too much for a custom title
posted 04-16-2002 04:28:33 PM
Oh yes, IRC is all I have, so I prefer that. I like board games, but sometimes chat is best.
DS
Perma-Newbie
posted 04-16-2002 07:00:05 PM
I'd love to even have a chance to join this.

1) Other than 8 AM to 3:30 PM on weekdays, i'm free to play.

2) Always human!

3) Nothing special.

4) I'm flexible! Anything is fine with me.

[ 04-16-2002: Message edited by: DS ]

Drakkenmaw
Crunchy, tastes good with ketchup
posted 04-17-2002 03:03:03 PM
I'd love to, but I don't exactly want to over-reach on my gaming schedule... My grades are suffering already with the amount of time I spend online, and I've also agreed to look at Reyolen's campaign-world. Plus, I have no experience with IRC gaming and the majority of the people on this thread seem to prefer it.

I'll be keeping a close watch on my schedule, just in case. And if this is going to be a message board campaign, I'll definatly be reading it even if I can't join.

Rolin
Pancake
posted 04-18-2002 06:59:52 AM
Scaling ups and downs of gaming environments:

GRIP
+ Easy to give a visual layout using GRIP map, so you'll always know where you are.
+ Character sheets give you an easy reference for rolling, and the roller itself is quite functional. You can even set rolls to factor in Armor Penalties, temporary bonuses, etc., without having to recalculate a bunch of figures.
- Requires heavy setup on the part of the GM. Practically all materials need to be prepared before session start.
- Bandwidth intensive. Sending maps, character sheets, and other raw materials creates a need for as many people as possible to have broadband (DSL or CableModem).

Message Board
+ Disjointed timing. Not all players need attend at any one time, making it easier to take players with differing schedules.
+ Players have more thinking time to consider their actions. This allows players whose characters have high Intelligence or Wisdom scores to consider their actions carefully, piece together riddles, or seek aid from others. It also lets players whose characters have higher Strength, Dexterity, or Charisma (especially charisma) take the time to describe details of their characters' actions that might otherwise go unnoticed.
- Slow pace. As many can tell, message board games are by far the slowest form of play. A full day in game may take as long as six months to a year real time.
- Retroactive moderation. Because players will post and interact while the GM is not present, it can lead to conflicts unless the GM checks back regularly, and keeps players posted on the situation. The use of external materials such as a frequently updated website with a GRIP-style overhead map can reduce this problem, but will not eliminate it. The responsibility of keeping both time and space synchronized falls on the GM.

IRC Chat
+ Most of the players will already have access to this program.
+ Low overhead. IRC requires very little processor power, and minimal bandwidth. It can be run even on very old computers.
- Using visual aids with IRC is extremely difficult. File transfers suffer from frequent failure, and updating a website during gameplay bogs down gaming.

[ 04-18-2002: Message edited by: Murdoc [remote] ]

Rollin' rollin' rollin'
keep them doggies rollin'
boy my ass is swolen, rawhide!

The universe is obsolete.
Star Collective
Pancake
posted 04-18-2002 01:45:18 PM
I would be interested in playing, though I haven't had a great deal of experience. Also, what is GRIPS and where can I get it? Weekends are good for me, also Monday and Sunday nights. More than likely probably have a standard class/race.
The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. - Ursula K. LeGuin ~ The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas
Taylen
Pancake
posted 04-21-2002 04:57:39 PM
I might be interested in playing so I thought I'd add info here.

1. Sundays are always best as I never work sundays. Any other night I am usually home from work by 10pm EST and online. However as of late any day but Wed. seems to work as work has been screwing me over.
2. That really depends on the campaign setting. Mostly I play an elf or a varient thereof like a Wild Elf.
3.No I tend to stick with fairly standard classes of multiclasses
4.I would prefer IRC or GRIP (if I knew where to get it) for a new experience.

"When correctly viewed, everything is lewd." - Tom Lehrer.
Sadomasochism: It's Fun!
Taylen Ashenbow
Rangers never run we mearly stratigically retreat.
Thats not a train thats a pull, my trains are always much bigger.
Dordaur
Pancake
posted 05-05-2002 07:10:54 PM
I'm not sure I'll be able to play, seeing as how my sister is taking this computer to college, but if I get another one soon enough,
1. Anytime on weekends, and most weekday nights.

2&3. I have a 16 Half-orc if we're using higher levels, otherwise I'll start a Gnome Illusionist.

4. IRC is good, have no idea wat GRIP is. I have no experience with online campaigning either way though, as I've noticed even moreso seeing all you guys that don't post on IHOP again.

Stuff.
Soltari Tungus
Pancake
posted 05-06-2002 04:12:55 PM
quote:
I'm not sure I'll be able to play, seeing as how my sister is taking this computer to college, but if I get another one soon enough,

OK, I have at LEAST three months. Is that long enough, or will this be an extended quest?

You would do well to fear a dragon's wrath. You would do better to fear a woman's.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: