EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I just spent a lot of money.
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 02-13-2017 11:30:02 PM
On a laptop. A gaming laptop. A beastly gaming laptop.

I treated myself after earning a tidy sum designing and writing a website for a small business, and ended up with a machine that is probably a little more power than I will fully utilize. Still, the quad core 4.2MHz i7 processor and GeForce GTX 1060 gpu will last me a good while, and be able to run all my graphic design software without a strain, I think.

It's been over ten years since I was able to do anything resembling PC gaming. Now that I shall soon have a machine spec'd to handle it, the seal is about to break.

What's out there? What should I jump into first? I have a pitifully small list of things because I've spent the past ten years avoiding PC anything for lack of a machine that was worth it. So far, I have decided that I need all three Witcher gsmes, Dishonored 1 and 2, and I can finally install SoTA, as I am a kickstarter backer for that one.

What else is out there?

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
nem-x
posted 02-15-2017 01:15:29 AM
Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny for Baldurs Gate style games.
Torment: Tides of Numenera coming out this month as a Planescape Torment successor.
Divinity Original Sin for a turn based rpg with a sequel coming out soon.

Ten years ago Steam was horrible green garbage.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 02-17-2017 11:57:48 PM
Overwatch.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 02-18-2017 03:07:42 AM
The Witcher games alone should last you till the end of the year.

What genres are you interested in?

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Azakias
posted 02-19-2017 07:26:47 PM
I'm a fan of RPGs, RTS, turn based strategy, God Sims, and pretty much anything except sports games, racing games, and while I'm not anti shooter, I require a compelling story and haven't run across many shooters that had that kind of writing.

Basically, anything with a good story.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-21-2017 07:30:08 AM
Pillars of Eternity was good, but the story was a bit weak compared to classics like Baldurs Gate, the ending is very meh and I managed to accurately guess it by the end of the first chapter. Yawn.

I hear they re-released the Baldurs Gate series if you don't mind the oldey timey graphics style. Awesome story. It just gets better as you go along, with Throne of Bhaal being absolutely awesome.

Loved the original Witcher game, couldn't really get into the second as much even though I played it all the way through, and skipped the third entirely. It just rubbed me the wrong way. Like those otherwise good space sims that kept coming out of eastern europe, with voice acting so terrible and a story so all-over-the-place I just couldn't get immersed.

Mortious fucked around with this message on 02-21-2017 at 07:36 AM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-23-2017 10:11:29 AM
I'd be admonished for not also mentioning that Skyrim was also re-released as a Special Edition, which is 64 bit based instead of 32 bit and is far more stable. Especially if you mod heavily. Contains all the DLC.

I have close to 200 mods on mine running concurrently and haven't crashed once, unlike old Skyrim which crashed all the damn time. Just make sure to read a how to mod guide first, there are several programs that are must-have like Nexus Mod Manager and LOOT.

Still waiting on SKSE64 (SKyrim Script Extender 64 bit) in order for the big mods and UI overhauls, the team say mid-March for that. Can't wait.

Mortious fucked around with this message on 02-23-2017 at 10:12 AM.

nem-x
posted 02-23-2017 07:28:05 PM
Azakias
posted 02-23-2017 09:22:28 PM
My new computer is gonna be here tomorrow!

Thanks for the suggestions. That trailer hooked me hard. Also, I wasn't planning on Skyrim since I had it for the consoles, but I'll put it on my list now, if the mods give it more interest.

I'm taking my first test for the training pipeline I'm in tomorrow, too. It's gonna be torture because the computer showscreen up in the 1030 mail delivery, but my test is going to be roughly 8 hours long.

I also have my Wacom tablet with me. I'm going to be so scattered when my computer gets here, bouncing from game to game to illustration to game.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-24-2017 03:40:09 AM
That trailer renewed my own interest in Tides. Looks awesome! I loved Planescape Torment.

IMHO Skyrim for consoles is garbage. Modding makes it an entirely different game and adds quests like Forgotten City, which recently won writers guild awards. You can change the rather crappy ending with mods like World Eater Beater and The Paarthurnax Dilemma. Depending how powerful your computer is, you can get graphical mods that make The Witcher 3 look like a 90's game in comparison.

Mods that change the intro like Live Another Life are also a must. No more boring ass cart ride.

Modding it just takes a little getting used to and a lot of trial and error.

Mortious fucked around with this message on 02-24-2017 at 03:41 AM.

Mightion Defensor
posted 02-27-2017 03:11:26 PM
I just added this to my system, to replace my GTX 970 SC.

A bit of overkill, since I only use one 1080p monitor, but I like being able to set my games to max quality and forget about it. (Well, some games still need a little adjustment, like GTA V)

People may say "Oh, you could have gotten a 1070 and saved $200!"... but I was tired of being in the '70's club (My previous cards in various systems were a GTX 275, a GTX 570, and the GTX 970) and decided to step it up.

Tarquinn
posted 02-27-2017 03:38:18 PM
I am still using a GTX 580 and it holds up pretty well. My usual taste in games is an advantage here.

But if the new Mass Effect reviews well, I fear I will have to spend some money, as the FPS dipped down to single digits in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-28-2017 01:26:38 PM
GTX 970 here and I'm happy with it. Runs Skyrim SE with tons of graphical mods with no problem. All I really play other than that is Stellaris.

I'm still on a fairly old speed binned i5-4670K which can't handle it's 4GHz overclock anymore and is now ramped down to stock speeds, on a very barebones basic ASUS board, so I'll probably wait until this time next year and upgrade the entire computer.

Mortious fucked around with this message on 02-28-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Tarquinn
posted 03-01-2017 10:11:59 AM
Speaking of Stellaris (which is awesome); did you know that this guy is the Stellaris head dev?

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 03-01-2017 at 10:12 AM.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-01-2017 12:45:57 PM
Huh. I should really get back into Stellaris. Then again, maybe Paradox already has enough of my money from EU4.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-01-2017 01:31:22 PM
quote:
Tarquinn said:
Speaking of Stellaris (which is awesome); did you know that this guy is the Stellaris head dev?

Really??

I remember him.. vaguely.. since I'm old and barely remember what I had for dinner last night.

Tarquinn
posted 03-01-2017 03:42:25 PM
Yes, he is. He's posting as Wiz over on SA.

quote:
Karnaj had this to say about John Romero:
Huh. I should really get back into Stellaris. Then again, maybe Paradox already has enough of my money from EU4.

Wait a month and it is a good time to get back into the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmvGlBFaFEU

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 03-01-2017 09:26:56 PM
I'm rolling a 1070 and it's pretty good at giving me 2560x1440 at 144fps in Overwatch. I wanted a 1080 but I figured I'd put that extra $200 towards a HTC Vive at some point.
Azakias
posted 03-03-2017 12:11:11 AM
Came up for air. Just got my new computer in on Friday last week. I have already put 50 hours into the first Witcher game, and that's a he'll of a lot of game time for me, these days.

Also been having a blast with my Wacom and Painter 2017, and itching to start up webcomic webcomicking again.

I can't believe I've not had a decent computer in 10 years. I don't think I can ever go back to the crap computer dark ages.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-03-2017 06:56:51 AM
quote:
Aw, geez, I have Tarquinn all over myself!
Yes, he is. He's posting as Wiz over on SA.

Wait a month and it is a good time to get back into the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmvGlBFaFEU

Man, small world.

I could get back into Stellaris, I'd just have to treat it like an entirely new game, with all the new features and mechanics that have been added.

Oh wait, Paradox is also releasing a new EU4 expansion. NEVERMIND.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

marcus92
Pancake
posted 05-03-2017 01:05:39 AM
quote:
Mightion Defensor had this to say about Pirotess:
I just added this to my system, to replace my GTX 970 SC.

A bit of overkill, since I only use one 1080p monitor, but I like being able to set my games to max quality and forget about it. (Well, some games still need a little adjustment, like GTA V)

People may say "Oh, you could have gotten a 1070 and saved $200!"... but I was tired of being in the '70's club (My previous cards in various systems were a GTX 275, a GTX 570, and the GTX 970) and decided to step it up.

I'm going to get the same video card. Little overkill for me either but might be useful on future upgrades.

Vraul Jawrip
Pancake
posted 05-07-2017 02:39:49 AM
Hey, the good thing is, if you treat it well, that laptop will last you quite a long time and it'll pretty much pay itself off.
Thunderfist
Addy
posted 06-04-2017 05:58:00 AM
Overwatch is legit. While it's a strictly multiplayer game, Blizzard has done a pretty good job developing a background for all of its characters and a reason why X character is in the world.

Also, there's quite a few heroes in there that are more suitable for people who aren't fantastic at FPS's. For example, Winston and Symmetra's main fire have an auto-target capability built into it, and it's also energy-based so it penetrates most shields.

I thought I would hate it as I avoid most FPSes but actually enjoy playing it. (D.Va is personally my fave.) The community really isn't as toxic as most massively multiplayer games are nowadays.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: