EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: New job jitters
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 12-30-2016 07:39:03 PM
I just turned in my tools, computer, and assorted other thingside today. I was working for a medical supply company on a temp to permanent basis for the past few months, but they cut the contract from 6 months down to 4 months.

I received an offer from this company, but turned it down in favor of a more challenging position with another company. More responsibility, more authority, more autonomy, and more money. It's going to be a tough job, but with valuable returns. Electrical power generation industry.

Thing is, my start date isn't til late January. I'll be unemployed for the next three weeks, since I didn't accept the aforementioned direct position with the medical company.

Now that I've turned in all my things for the old job, it's really starting to hit me that HOLY CRAP I walked away from a good job offer with easy work for amother offer that starts at tough and gets harder.

I'm not showing it outwardly, but I'm a pile of exposed nerves right now.

Halp.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-31-2016 12:47:24 PM
Good luck! You'll do fine.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 01-01-2017 10:22:27 PM
In my experience, if you know exactly what you're doing and how to do it then you're underemployed.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-04-2017 06:10:04 AM
^^^ That.

I've spent years at jobs that were easy and ultimately unfulfilling because they were boring. I've migrated up to a position that for the last 9 months I've been wondering how the fuck I'm going to do what they've hired me to do and being slightly paranoid about them finding out I'm a fraud and firing my ass.

Got my performance review today, I'm the only one in my group that's "Exceeds Expectations" across the board. And my boss is putting me on the list for a raise despite not being here a full year yet.

The challenge is worth it. You'll learn and grow or you'll find out what your limits are. Either way, it's good stuff to know.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-08-2017 05:21:56 PM
Worry about the job when it actually starts, not before.

Now have fun, go out and relax!

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 01-18-2017 06:36:27 PM
You guys are awesome. I'm less than 5 days from starting, and I'm getting more excitement than dread, now.

My first day is Monday, where I get to spend the whole week doing Web based training. The following week will be spent in Tampa for indoc, followed by several months of training in Houston, followed by a few more months of job shadowing. It's a remote travel job, so I'll be going EVERYWHERE and I can't freaking wait. May even get the opportunity for international jobs once I'm spooled up.

And Blindy, I'm going to keep that sage piece of advice written in my notebook that I always carry with me. I know I'm not the only one who can benefit from that wisdom. Thanks.

Still nervous though.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: