EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: itshappening.bat
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-08-2016 08:09:27 AM
To wit: it's finally almost over. Thankfully, in my neck of the woods, putting a candidate's sign on your yard is considered in poor taste and is thus uncommon enough that it hasn't been too intrusive an election season. And there were a lot of people at my polling place at when I went to vote 6 AM, which I count as a good thing.

And now I'm going to sit in a corner, ignore the internet at large, and play video games until tomorrow. Or perhaps until 2024.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 11-08-2016 11:11:11 AM
I'm a little jealous that yard signs aren't big there. They make news stories here pretty regularly because people keep stealing or defacing them from random yards.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 11-08-2016 03:25:26 PM
I wonder if Azizza voted Trump.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Tarquinn
posted 11-08-2016 03:26:42 PM
Also, putting signs of who you vote for on your lawn is fucking weird. Just FYI.
Tarquinn
posted 11-09-2016 12:15:23 PM
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-09-2016 12:33:53 PM
I mean, I'm sure someone's laughing. Maybe Azizza.

Unfortunately, the return to 1950 that the electorate apparently thinks is going to happen isn't, so I expect we're in for a rather disillusioning 4 to 8 years.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mightion Defensor
posted 11-09-2016 02:01:46 PM
I came up with the perfect slogan for the Democrats to use next election, when President Trump will be running for reelection - "Hindsight is 2020!"

Seriously, WTF country?

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-10-2016 03:55:18 AM

Mortious fucked around with this message on 11-10-2016 at 03:55 AM.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 11-11-2016 12:17:03 AM
I'm profoundly glad I am no longer in the military.

Hence forth, he will be known as the Horror-Clown.

I can't believe this. To be honest, I'm afraid for my kids. Especially my daughters.

Fuck.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Tarquinn
posted 11-11-2016 05:04:01 PM
Well, good luck over there. If you're white, male middle class and up you're probably fine, though.

If I may put the spotlight on Yurop for a second here, I am rather worried about the ramifications of Trump's success. Populism and extreme right wing politics are on the rise in Europe, like the Front National in France and the AfD here in Germany. In Poland and Hungaria those kind or parties are already in charge of their respective countries. Freedom of speech and press are slowly eroding and open racism is becoming more common. Now, this is a process that has started already before Trump appeared on the world stage, but this is only strengthening those parties, who see a kindred spirit in him.

Also, with Trump being butt buddies with Putin and his threat of pulling out of Nato, means that if Putin decides to move past the Ukraine and gobble up more of the former Soviet Union, there's nobody really left to oppose him. It would be time for the EU to step up, but right now it is mostly a bickering mess with most countries only looking out for themselves. That one of the big three, which are kinda the stabilizing core of the union, decided to leave (thanks for the Brexit. Much appreciated, you wankers.) does not help either. Having actually experienced the cold war, I am not looking forward to having Russia next door to us again. Of course this is a worst case scenario and believe that today a country's economic interests are more important than its territorial interests and once Trump is actually faced with the reality of running the US, many if not most of his outrageous ideas will be tempered, but still, fuck you for actually letting this guy get into power.

Or as some asshole president once said: sad.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 11-11-2016 at 05:05 PM.

Azakias
posted 11-14-2016 04:32:32 PM
I voted for Hillary. It made me ill to see the Horror-Clown on the ballot.

If you see any of the media shots of Horror-Clown after he visited with Obama, you might notice he looked a bit peaked. Apparently, he has already abdicated enough responsibility for the administration transition to Pence and his cronies so he can plan a swan around the country to soak up adoring plaudits from his bigot fan base rather than actually learn the job he has failed into.

There are reports that Putin is actually shifting himself because of the Horror-Clown victory. His MO is to poke and poke and poke the US in hopes to provoke a reaction, but with Hillary and the other candidates he knew, more or less, how far he could prod. With Horror-Clown, he has no idea because the dude is way too fucking unstable and prone to lying his assistant off.

Horror-Clown has already reneged on several of the campaign promises he used to gain votes.

Make no mistake, when the President Elect is desperate for cheering crowds and weekends in New York instead of the White House, while being shocked at the scope and weight of his duties, he will not be the one actually governing.

No, we have Mike Pence and his white supremacist and anti minority/women's rights bullshit for that. I guarantee you, Trump is the puppet we always knew he would be, with Pence's arm so far up his assistant he can taste his hand lotion.

As for /draining the swamp" and "shaking up washington"?

Palin, Gingrich, Giuliani, and other such entrenched establishment politicians will do nothing but mire the muck in deeper.

I only hope that the Democrats can get a house majority in the Louisiana runoff election that's coming up, so there is a foothold to balance out the house's of Congress in 2018.

Fuck. What a waste of teeth and eyeballs that clown is.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Azakias
posted 11-14-2016 04:33:59 PM
Excuse my new phone and the somewhat hilarious censorship of the swear words here.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-15-2016 07:17:04 AM
This election makes me glad I don't have kids, because the environmental damage we're going to do in the next 2-8 years isn't going to be apparent until they're adults.

Of course, by then it will be far too late, and the people responsible for the catastrophic policies will be dead anyway, so...

Beer.

Monica
posted 11-15-2016 04:57:17 PM
I've honestly been questioning whether we should have kids at all now.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-16-2016 10:20:57 AM
quote:
And now, we sprinkle Monica liberally with Old Spice!
I've honestly been questioning whether we should have kids at all now.

Questioning is good. It's a huge decision, and ideally it really warrants a lot of careful thought.

Beer.

Monica
posted 11-16-2016 04:31:18 PM
quote:
Karnaj painfully thought these words up:
Questioning is good. It's a huge decision, and ideally it really warrants a lot of careful thought.

I mean we've known we want to, and the tentative plan was after my Mirena came out around summer 2018ish. My concern at this point is whether or not I'll be able to get back on birth control when it becomes necessary again, and my possibility of any complications/anomalies that could require termination since I'll be over 30. Mike Pence thinks even condoms are "too liberal" and Paul Ryan thinks birth control coverage under insurance is just a nitty gritty detail.

Monica fucked around with this message on 11-16-2016 at 04:32 PM.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-17-2016 07:52:55 AM
Well, there's never going to be a perfect time to start trying. Something will always come up. But if you prepare as best you can, and it's something you really want, you're already doing better than most people--whose idea of family planning can be boiled down to, "We're out of condoms? Oh, fuck it, come inside me just this once. It'll be fine!"

Beer.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 11-18-2016 12:02:17 AM
Seriously, there is no "best" time. Just one that'll suck less than others. We waited too long on our second child, now there's an 8 year gap in their ages. We were planning on maybe 2-3 years between them. But things happen how they happen. It just would have been easier on us both physically to have done it sooner.
Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Monica
posted 11-18-2016 10:46:33 AM
Well, the problem is, like I said, whether or not I'll be able to do anything if there are anomalies that require termination. Because if there are, and Mike Pence gets his way, there won't be anything I can do about it and I'll probably just die or be rendered infertile instead. Pregnancy related deaths in Texas have already been sky rocketing for this very kind of reason, that they're just working harder and harder to deny abortion access without consideration for the fact that sometimes very much wanted pregnancies need to be terminated for one reason or another. The wonderful #TXlege has already prefiled a bill for this session to no longer make exceptions after 20 weeks for such anomalies and issues.

And the other reason - once again, like I've already said - is whether or not I'll have access to birth control again once it's needed, because again, the GOP seems pretty hell bent on keeping us pregnant at home so we don't go vote or have jobs.

It's... almost as if... I've been thinking about this life-risking experience and had valid concerns about it even before a couple of dudes showed up to tell me about how it "well it just never seems like the right time so you should just do it anyway."

Monica fucked around with this message on 11-18-2016 at 10:48 AM.

Tarquinn
posted 11-18-2016 12:57:29 PM
Just wait till America is GREAT again. Two or three years, tops!
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-18-2016 01:04:21 PM
I'm just speaking in glittering generalities, because my own opinion is much more...unappealing. My personal opinion is that, ideally, unless someone absolutely wants to reproduce and is fully prepared to accept all risks, consequences, and responsibilities of the decision, they should not do it. Ever. Further, electing not to reproduce is laudable, as each baby not born reduces the hardship the next generation will experience due to depleted resources and a changed climate.

But for some reason, people don't like hearing that, so I tend to keep that to myself.

Wait, woops.

Beer.

Monica
posted 11-18-2016 01:15:31 PM
There is absolutely nothing I cringe more at than when someone I know talks about how they're not having kids and, "eh well I know it seems selfish but it's just what we want." Ya'll don't have to explain shit, and there's nothing selfish about not creating a person you don't actually want around.

I didn't used to think it was something I'd ever be interested in, predominantly because of how common it still is for women to give birth and then just magically be expected to do 80% of the child rearing while still holding down a career. It was when I married someone who is actually really excited at the prospect of Dadding that I decided it could actually work.

Monica fucked around with this message on 11-18-2016 at 01:24 PM.

Azakias
posted 11-18-2016 01:25:28 PM
I never planned on having kids, nor really wanted them. I mean, I love them now that they're here and can't imagine things being different, but I never went actually planned on kids. Ever.

My kids are pretty much all oops babies. The twins were a big surprise.

So even though I had enough kids to take the pressure of reproducing off of my sibkings, I heare you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not having children and anyone who calls you selfish for making a personal choice can take a long walk off a short pier.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-18-2016 01:32:45 PM
I chose not to have kids because I don't like sharing my toys.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-19-2016 03:53:30 PM
I don't want kids. I honestly don't think I could cope with them.

I live that side of life vicariously through my nephews, with the ability to go away from them when I want to.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-21-2016 04:36:17 PM
And bringing it back around to the political shitshow we're due in the next 4 years, there is a non-trivial risk that Roe v. Wade will be overturned. However, this will not make abortion illegal nationwide--rather, individual states will be able to ban it.

What that really means is that poor people will lose access to abortion. Rich girls in Texas or Florida will be able to fly to California or New York to terminate an unwanted pregnancy, whereas poor women will not be able to afford the trip.

Of course, slightly more likely is that the ACA will be gutted, though that's not a sure bet, either. Insurance companies like the fact that people are forced to buy their product, so I would expect their lobbyists to bring the hammer down hard if that's what the new Congress leads with out the gate. Same story with an attempt to gut Medicare, if only because old people vote.

Beer.

Monica
posted 11-22-2016 03:45:08 PM
I don't think Roe v. Wade is in *imminent* danger, though certainly it's at risk. More than likely, the first thing we'll see is insurance coverage being taken away for birth control. The GOP really loves to punish poor people for having sex for some reason.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-23-2016 04:54:58 PM
quote:
Monica got served! Monica got served!
I don't think Roe v. Wade is in *imminent* danger, though certainly it's at risk. More than likely, the first thing we'll see is insurance coverage being taken away for birth control. The GOP really loves to punish poor people for having sex for some reason.

While I'm tempted to say it's a religious thing, I think that's just a convenient excuse. I think it really all comes down to money.

Forcing the poor to have and care for unwanted children means that overall economic mobility of the poor is reduced. Reducing their economic mobility reduces everyone's economic mobility, which, when you're on the top, is exactly what you want. If it's harder for everyone else to get rich, it's easier for you to stay rich.

Beer.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-02-2016 07:54:18 AM
Oh, and even if Roe v. Wade stands, and you do need to terminate a pregnancy in Texas, now you have to give the fetus a funeral.

This has gotta be the weirdest one yet. And by weirdest, I mean horrifying.

Karnaj fucked around with this message on 12-02-2016 at 07:54 AM.

Beer.

Monica
posted 12-02-2016 08:42:44 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Karnaj:
Oh, and even if Roe v. Wade stands, and you do need to terminate a pregnancy in Texas, now you have to give the fetus a funeral.

Bro I live in Texas, I was following the lege the day this one was on the agenda.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-02-2016 09:55:10 AM
quote:
And now, we sprinkle Monica liberally with Old Spice!
Bro I live in Texas, I was following the lege the day this one was on the agenda.

Oh I know brah, I just didn't want to be all "Hey Monica, the next time you have an abortion, you'll need to hold a funeral for it" because that's kind of rude.

Wait, woops.

Anyway, stuff like this gets me thinking about states, and how diverse their laws are--something like this would never even be proposed in New York. Then I start thinking about demographic self-sorting, which has been going on for the last 30 years, where like-minded people have congregated and built up homogeneous communities. Like how I, as a filthy godless liberal, have chosen to live in one of the most ethnically and racially diverse towns in the state, if not the country. Or how Maradon has, I assume, chosen to live off the grid in some sort of Mad Max-style libertarian compound.

Point is, I suspect that, as we've sorted ourselves into like-minded communities across the country, we've also been homogenizing in these groups--finding a new equilibrium that is way, way off what was considered the norm 30-40 years ago. The end result, I think, is a group of states who differ drastically in ideology, culture, and values--much more than historic differences, which were driven by any number of external factors. This is an internal realignment, brought on by people having the ability to choose their neighbors.

Beer.

Monica
posted 12-02-2016 10:32:58 AM
OK and TX have had batshit politicians for a long time, but the bigger cities generally trend blue. I do think there is probably some instance of kids who grew up in really red places moving to blue places, but I'm mostly only aware of that anecdotally, not statistically.

Personally, there's a weird mix of things going on around us right now... Dallas is experiencing some really intense growth from companies relocating to the area for the cheaper costs, mostly coming from places like California. It was one of the reasons we went ahead and bought a house when we did, because the prices are jumping significantly each quarter, and it's not unusual right now for cash offers to come in. We closed on our house in July, and last week a house on the same block listed at 27k more than we paid. We bought a foreclosure, mind you, so this other house IS nicer on the inside... but not 27k nicer. I'm curious/nervous to see how Dallas is going to hold up under a Trump presidency, tbh.

I would for-sure argue that Dallas is NOT homogeneous, it's just that there's a combination of things going on. Our voter turnout is fucking terrible, and our politicians are intentionally confusing about our voter laws. But Texas is, very slowly, turning purple.

Monica fucked around with this message on 12-02-2016 at 10:37 AM.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-02-2016 01:13:57 PM
In the broadest sense, yes, your more conservative folks stay in the boonies, and the liberals move to cities, but you're right--that doesn't make everyone those places the same.

When I say homogeneous, I mean in smaller scale. Like neighborhood-level scale. This can be anything from ethnic enclaves (your Chinatowns, Little Italies, and the like) to economic ones (gated communities full of WASPy country club members). Or, like in your case, neighborhoods filling up/being revitalized by largely the same type of person because of an economic boom.

Don't get me wrong, there are hardcore Tea Party wackjobs all over New Jersey. The loser two houses down from me who still lives with his parents has a Confederate flag sticker on his lifted Silverado. Still, (and this is the key) we do not associate with each other. Though we are physically neighbors, we are not part of each others' communities. I have sorted myself into a group whose education, income, values, etc. is similar to my own--as has, I assume, my hillbilly neighbor.

Point is that within the scope of economic practicality, people now live where they want to be, and most importantly, associate with whom they want to associate. This results in people living in homogenizing bubbles, where everyone pretty much conforms to the same opinion on most subjects.

Beer.

Tarquinn
posted 12-02-2016 04:36:03 PM
Time to secede!

Come join the EU, we have a spot open. Well, soon.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-02-2016 07:02:10 PM
quote:
Tarquinn said:
Come join the EU, we have a spot open. Well, soon.

Hopefully never.

In local by-elections people who were against Brexit are being voted in and the House of Lords has openly declared they'll block it.

At the end of the day a referendum is not legally binding for the government, they can (and have) voted entirely the other way in the past. It's a means of telling the government how the public want them to vote, but they can ignore it. Lately there has been murmurings of a "soft Brexit" where the UK still pays into the EU coffers and stays in the free market so I have to ask.. what was the fucking point???

The entire thing just makes me irrationally angry.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 12-12-2016 10:48:32 AM
This country is fucked.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 12-13-2016 07:41:42 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Karnaj said:

(1) Time to bring back the fetapult.
(2) Aim at the Governor's Office.
(3) ?????
(4) Probably won't make a profit, but who gives a shit?

Oh, and as I understand it, if you miscarry or abort at home you don't have to go through this crap.... So Texas just gave a tacit OK for the old coat hanger? o_O

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-13-2016 10:29:46 AM
I believe I saw that, in light of the restrictions in accessing legal abortion in places like Texas, doctors have turned to prescribing abortofacient drugs to treat other conditions in pregnant women who wish to terminate, but would otherwise be unable to.

Beer.

Monica
posted 12-13-2016 03:00:29 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator had this to say about Knight Rider:
(1) Time to bring back the fetapult.
(2) Aim at the Governor's Office.
(3) ?????
(4) Probably won't make a profit, but who gives a shit?

Oh, and as I understand it, if you miscarry or abort at home you don't have to go through this crap.... So Texas just gave a tacit OK for the old coat hanger? o_O

... which means women who end up needing medical intervention are probably just going to die instead.

Monica fucked around with this message on 12-13-2016 at 03:02 PM.

Monica
posted 12-13-2016 03:08:20 PM
quote:
From the book of Karnaj, chapter 3, verse 16:
I believe I saw that, in light of the restrictions in accessing legal abortion in places like Texas, doctors have turned to prescribing abortofacient drugs to treat other conditions in pregnant women who wish to terminate, but would otherwise be unable to.

Abortofacient drugs don't do much good if you're 20 weeks in (which is about when you can learn these kinds of things usually) and finding out there's a fatal defect of some kind and your child won't survive birth, or will only survive a few minutes of pain. Women have been forced to carry to term just to watch their kid die because of the restrictions. Or they spend a shitload of money traveling somewhere less prohibitive, which isn't feasible for everyone.

Monica fucked around with this message on 12-13-2016 at 03:16 PM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: