EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Mort!
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 06-24-2016 03:19:46 AM
Brexit.

Thoughts?

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-24-2016 08:52:11 PM
I voted remain, as did most of the British territories outside the UK (which have a say in referendums) and the majority of people under 45 inside the UK. Most people over the age of 45 in the UK voted leave, which narrowly won. They don't have to live with the consequences and many think it was merely a protest vote from an older generation who've lost confidence in the current government.

The "Leave" campaign genuinely angered me because most of their posters and leaflets had blatant fear mongering lies which the older generation swallowed hook, line and sinker. Lies that were disproved easily with facts.

It's the Trump effect for the UK. Fear mongering and stupid people with an isolationist policy have triumphed over facts and working together for the greater good.

It's the end of the day now and I'm not angry anymore, just tired. The pound has crashed to its lowest level since 1985 and a whopping 30% has been wiped off the value of most bank shares. All because of lies and fear.

Edit: Scotland is talking about another independence vote from the UK, as they mostly voted for Remain. As did Northern Ireland, which is seriously considering seceding from the UK and rejoining the Irish mainland. So if we look at the worst possible outcome that could come from all this; the UK ceases to exist and England becomes an isolationist little island with absolutely no power whatsoever that Russia and China steamroll over on the world stage.

Thanks, fucknuggets.

Mortious fucked around with this message on 06-24-2016 at 08:56 PM.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 06-25-2016 04:18:23 AM
My understanding is there's at least 3 months worth of "paperwork bullshit" and that the vote to leave isn't completely binding meaning that just because "the masses have spoken" doesn't mean that the UK will depart the EU.

Although no matter what happens on that point I still kinda expect that Scotland will hold another "fuck this shit, we're out" vote.

And so far the worst one-liner I've had for the vote:

"Well, it looks like the EU will have 1 'GB' of free space soon..."

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Azakias
posted 06-25-2016 12:20:27 PM
I'm just an American outsider looking in, but Mort pretty much summed up my assumptions on the matter. It sucks that you have your versions of Trump in power. I hope we don't make that mistake over here.

That being said, as far as one liners go, there's a British author I follow on Twitter. He had this to say: "Right now, you can walk up to any British citizen on the street and say, " You fucking idiot!" And have a 52% chance of being right.'

Sorry for the idiots in your country.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-26-2016 08:03:42 AM
Latest news is that Scotland may use its Parliamentary veto to block the leave vote.

For once I'm glad Scotland exists. Well.. that and it's a good place to store our nuclear missiles.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-27-2016 05:50:40 PM
http://imgur.com/gallery/Tj9NR

Mortious fucked around with this message on 06-27-2016 at 05:51 PM.

Azakias
posted 06-28-2016 05:24:18 PM
For what its worth, you should check out this guy on Twitter: Jonathan L Howard. He is being very sharp and quick witted and pretty much calling out Garage and company on the regular.

He writes good books, too.

What are you going to do if Scotland leaves?

Edit:Meant to write Farage but it autocorrected to garage. I'm leaving it.

Azakias fucked around with this message on 06-28-2016 at 05:25 PM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 06-29-2016 09:55:01 AM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Mortious absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
Latest news is that Scotland may use its Parliamentary veto to block the leave vote.

For once I'm glad Scotland exists. Well.. that and it's a good place to store our nuclear missiles.

From what I understand, Scotland doesn't get a veto. The most they could do is another referendum to leave, and try to break away, if the news I'm reading is correct.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-30-2016 02:51:14 PM
Aside from having to do a new referendum, the one thing stopping Scotland from leaving is two things:

1) Oil's not $100 a barrel
2) They'd have to adopt the Euro

For the first, what I mean is the the Scottish economy would take a short-term, but severe hit if they left the UK, and they wouldn't have exports (like expensive North Sea oil) to make up the difference. It might make sense if the price of oil comes back up in a couple years, but that's really anybody's guess.

For the second, the UK was given a great number of concessions to get them into the EU, chief among them was getting to keep their currency. This has proved to be a massive boon to the UK. An independent Scotland attempting to join the UK would get no such concessions or considerations. They'd be a normal member state, no more or less important than, say, Romania.

That's where it's really gonna suck for the UK: if they do go ahead and invoke Article 50, the EU is going extract some pretty harsh exit terms from the UK(this will be partially done to discourage other states from contemplating exiting). And any attempts to rejoin, by either a segment or the entirety of the UK, will mean they forego any beneficial treatment and will be, for want of a better term, the low men on the totem pole.

Karnaj fucked around with this message on 06-30-2016 at 02:52 PM.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 07-01-2016 06:58:45 PM
I am constantly being torn between laughing at (~52%) and feeling sad (~48%) for the Brits.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: