EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Still Alive... ish..
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 04-26-2014 08:19:06 PM
It always amazes me to see posts on here after all these years.
Updates?

Parent, three kids, 17, 7, 3.
Still married.
Never game anymore.
Professional writer still.
Yes, published. Yes, under a pen name.
My best selling work is a series of girly smut stories aimed at chubby chicks.
Gun Dork Extraordinaire. I publish for the NRA, and many industry related companies and groups.

So.. how YOU doin?

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-28-2014 02:58:26 AM
I run a classic car restoration company now. Our first car, a 1969 (lol 69) Alfa Romeo 105 Bertone Coupe is ready for sale and I'm excited to see what it'll bring. We also have a 1972 Alfa Romeo Kammtail Spider that's almost done. Also, I now drive a Porsche.

Unmarried. Prefer to sleep around. No kids. I don't think I could put up with them. Though I'm a new uncle now and that's good enough for me.

I don't really game anymore either, other than the odd hour or so in Civilization to kill time. I really should unsubscribe from SWTOR, I barely play it.

Mortious fucked around with this message on 04-28-2014 at 02:59 AM.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 04-28-2014 10:26:28 AM
I've got two kids, 3 and 1.
Still married.
My gaming is down to like 30 minutes a day max.
Software developer still- just took a job as a consultant for a 20% raise.
My wife and I are building a house now.

Doing pretty good.

Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 04-28-2014 05:20:16 PM
Got married last year
Moved to NJ last month
Work in Radio as a web developer
My gaming habits have shot through the roof, where I game roughly 40 hours a week now, but my wife games too, (I still don't know how we find time to travel and do other things, but we do)
No kids, don't want em
Saving for a house now.
Comfortable and saving a ton of money now, for the first time in my entire life.
Maradon!
posted 04-28-2014 06:34:29 PM
I'm basically exactly the same, except 31.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 04-28-2014 07:19:30 PM
Still alive.
Still single.
I have a dog, she's multiple kinds of awesome. (Golden Retriever/GSD/Rottweiler)
Unix System Engineer/Admin.
Working on paying off debts and stashing money for the down payment on a house now that I've got some stability.

Still play too many games. Recently reactivated my WoW acct at the request of a few friends. *shrug*

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-28-2014 07:53:56 PM
Still married.
Spent last year in Pakistan working at the US embassy.
Spent this year in DC agreeing with Churchill that democracy suXxorz, except for all the other options.
Just got assigned to a NATO post in Belgium, so beginning our 9th move in 13 years, and the 5th transatlantic.
After this assignment, I'll be almost to mandatory retirement, so will have to find a porch somewhere to keep the kids off of.
Oh, and we have a Great Dane now.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 04-29-2014 06:02:50 AM
Friend got a pic of the pooch...
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Blindy.
posted 04-29-2014 08:08:59 AM
This here be the house.

As soon as we sell ours they start building it.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-29-2014 08:50:15 AM
I never liked prominent garages. Just big goatse in the front of the house.

But otherwise the layout's nice.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Blindy.
posted 04-29-2014 09:26:35 AM
quote:
Karnaj's opinion of themself must be pretty good:
I never liked prominent garages. Just big goatse in the front of the house.

But otherwise the layout's nice.

We'll actually be getting a side entry, but the builders website doesn't have a nice colored image for that.

And the living room will be an office with double-doors, and the laundry room will be on the second floor where the loft is along with a 10x11 "hobby room", and the current laundry room will be a big mudroom, and we'll have a 14x20 deck on the back with a walkout basement. Lots of stuff. I don't think we saw an option on the house we didn't take.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 04-29-2014 at 09:34 AM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-29-2014 04:11:24 PM
That's an enormous house by English standards.

Over here you would be considered very rich indeed. But house prices here are ridiculous.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-29-2014 09:25:34 PM
Well there are 60 million of you living on those horrible, damp, shit-stained rocks you call islands.

And if that offends you, I'm only kidding, of course. It's actually 63 million of you.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Blindy.
posted 04-29-2014 09:34:10 PM
quote:
Did someone say Mortious:
That's an enormous house by English standards.

Over here you would be considered very rich indeed. But house prices here are ridiculous.

The house is around 3000 sqft and will cost around $319k all said and done, house prices in Cincinnati are pretty reasonable. My brother's 800 sqft condo near Wrigley field in Chicago cost $350k.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 04-29-2014 11:58:43 PM
I've also discovered the horrors of aging.

I can't drink coffee anymore. When I do, there is a reenactment of the toilet scene in "Dreamcatchers" half an hour later. After 37 years of coffee, I have switched to tea, and for the first time in my life, I can taste the differences between the 547 types of "Black Tea" that the Brits have. All you have to do is pay more for it. I gave up soda completely, and my energy is much higher, and I feel better, all the time. I try it again from time to time, but it tastes like sugary plastic, so I don't miss it.

I love mowing my lawn. I have 2 acres and a push mower. It's quieter than the kids are.

I find joy in raising chickens. If you have the space, there is nothing better than fresh eggs. brown, green, blue, red... there really is much more flavor, and they are all a little bit different.

I'm glad that you guys are doing so well.

Mort, you have a website for your business? I'd love to see what you do.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-30-2014 03:08:33 AM
quote:
Kaiote said:
Mort, you have a website for your business? I'd love to see what you do.

I do not. At least not yet. We started over a year ago, but it's mostly just me so it's slow going. Still makes enough to pay for the rent and once my name is out there a bit more we can start taking on more cars and more staff.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-30-2014 03:09:07 AM
quote:
Blindy. said:
The house is around 3000 sqft and will cost around $319k all said and done, house prices in Cincinnati are pretty reasonable. My brother's 800 sqft condo near Wrigley field in Chicago cost $350k.

In the UK you would be looking at close to a million.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 04-30-2014 04:36:26 AM
Geebus, that's an amazingly cheap house. I am rather jealous. We bought a ~ 1345sqft house about two years ago for over $400k
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-30-2014 07:39:15 AM
quote:
And coming in at #1 is Mortious with "Reply." I'm Casey Casem.
In the UK you would be looking at close to a million.

Manhattan would cost you about that, too. Maybe even more, depending on the location and amenities.

Beer.

Blindy.
posted 04-30-2014 09:30:42 AM
Since you guys seem interested, here's some pictures we took at the model-home.

My daughter in the kitchen

The dining room

The office

A shot from the top of the stair case into the family room. We'll be getting similar spindles and stuff. We like how open this feels.

My daughter looking out the window in what will be her room in the new house.

What's going to be my son's room. Only one window but it's on the south-west side of the house so it should get plenty of light.

The kid's bathroom

From the master looking down the hall on the top floor- that room at the end is a laundry/hobby room. (I will love having second floor laundry). The door to the right of that is my daughters room, and the next door closer will be the guest room/room for our third child when we have it.

Here's the guest BR/ Baby Dietrich 3's room. It's the biggest aside from the master, but we figure that kid will live there the longest and it's right next to the master which will make taking care of them for the first year or two easier.

The master bedroom. That's a king sized bed for scale. It's got 9' ceilings.

The master bath and one of the two walk-in closets. The room on the other side of those doors is the "sitting room", which will be a workout room with a easy chair and side table for reading.

Here's another shot of the sitting room. That's my son I'm holding there.

Here we are on the lot. We're standing about where the front door will be, 40' back from the sidewalk. The lot has a pretty steep hill on it which will be graded at 3':1' along the side of the house, but then should be fairly flat at the back- we'll have a walkout there.

And here I am at the back of our lot, there's a lot of brush that will have to be cleared.

So we're pretty stoked.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 04-30-2014 at 09:34 AM.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 04-30-2014 09:46:39 AM
My partner and I celebrated our 11th anniversary on the 14th of this month.

Still in Oklahoma, still hate it.

We live in a crappy tiny duplex, and work at a Walmart that is coming apart at the seams due to WILDLY incompetent management. A recent massive decline in staffing and spike in management bullshit (and the stress that accompanies the latter) has finally of snapped us out of the zombie-like state we've been in for the past few years, and we're looking to abandon that sinking ship and start going somewhere with our lives.

Just have to figure out where we're going with our lives, and how to get there. It's about freaking time, too. I turn 36 in a couple months, I'm too old for this teenager just out of high school lifestyle.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Blindy.
posted 04-30-2014 10:09:17 AM
quote:
Did someone say Akiraiu Zenko:
My partner and I celebrated our 11th anniversary on the 14th of this month.

Still in Oklahoma, still hate it.

We live in a crappy tiny duplex, and work at a Walmart that is coming apart at the seams due to WILDLY incompetent management. A recent massive decline in staffing and spike in management bullshit (and the stress that accompanies the latter) has finally of snapped us out of the zombie-like state we've been in for the past few years, and we're looking to abandon that sinking ship and start going somewhere with our lives.

Just have to figure out where we're going with our lives, and how to get there. It's about freaking time, too. I turn 36 in a couple months, I'm too old for this teenager just out of high school lifestyle.

Move to North Dakota- it's freaking booming.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 04-30-2014 11:08:50 AM
My wife and I have considered relocating many times. While I can work from anywhere, she's been stuck here working for 66% of what she could make just 60 miles away. But we worry about schools, because our daughter goes to an awesome one here. My wife and kids go to church locally, and unlike every other church they have been to, they really feel comfortable and belong there.

So, pretty sure we'll be staying where we are, unless something pretty big happens.

Your house is going to be awesome, Blindy. It would cost about 275k down here, but that would be more rural, you guys seem to have a decent lot in a development. That would bring the price here up to roughly the same. Makes me happy we prefer to live out a bit.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-30-2014 05:45:50 PM
quote:
Quoth Karnaj:
Manhattan would cost you about that, too. Maybe even more, depending on the location and amenities.

Townhouses in my neighborhood with similar specs are selling for $2.2M. But that's Old Town and the proximity to the river.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 04-30-2014 08:58:22 PM
quote:
Blindy. got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:

Huh... never even considered North Dakota. We were hoping someday to wind up in western Washington state.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 05-01-2014 12:52:59 AM
Went to Engineering college, dropped out of college, went to the local junior college. Worked retail for 7 years to get through it. Got a 3 different associates before I got a degree in Orthotic and prosthetic technology. Now live in Rockford Illinois and it is a shit hole.

In better news the stress from taking care of sick people all the time and working in hellish conditions has lead to me loosing about 100 lbs. Sitting at about 145 lbs so I got that going for me.

Put in my notice to quit in August. Moving to MN to be with the fiancee of 10 years now because fuck it 10 years is too long not to get married.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-01-2014 07:04:40 AM
quote:
Bloodsage still thinks SARS jokes are topical, as evidenced by:
Townhouses in my neighborhood with similar specs are selling for $2.2M. But that's Old Town and the proximity to the river.

Oh yeah, I'm thinking a 1 bedroom, in the neighborhood of 600 square feet. A townhome or equivalent(2 bed, 2 bath) would probably run you about that in Manhattan. Anything more and you're talking $5 million+.

But good news! If you try for a studio apartment you can get in for the low price of $465,000.

Beer.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-01-2014 07:06:26 AM
quote:
And now, we sprinkle Akiraiu Zenko liberally with Old Spice!
Huh... never even considered North Dakota. We were hoping someday to wind up in western Washington state.

North Dakota's probably nice, but it's not like you can get married there. I'd say go with Washington. At least your rights are respected there.

Beer.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 05-01-2014 12:12:56 PM
quote:
From the book of Blindy., chapter 3, verse 16:

Yeah... Holy Shit.

Lower crime, higher income, lower cost of living, higher level of education, better quality of education, better than average home cost to value ratios, lower unemployment...

And all those stats have been improving steadily for the past ten years. Or more, I only went back ten years.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-01-2014 12:42:09 PM
You'll pay a premium for housing in ND, though. The boom has created a huge seller's market since demand is far above supply.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-01-2014 12:43:24 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Karnaj squealed:
Oh yeah, I'm thinking a 1 bedroom, in the neighborhood of 600 square feet. A townhome or equivalent(2 bed, 2 bath) would probably run you about that in Manhattan. Anything more and you're talking $5 million+.

But good news! If you try for a studio apartment you can get in for the low price of $465,000.

Yeah, that's why we're renting. I refuse to pay a million bucks for a 1500 square foot townhouse.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 05-02-2014 11:37:00 AM
quote:
Bloodsage attempted to be funny by writing:
You'll pay a premium for housing in ND, though. The boom has created a huge seller's market since demand is far above supply.

For land, or just for existing housing? I would prefer 30 minutes out of town or so anyway.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-02-2014 02:15:08 PM
quote:
The propaganda machine of Kaiote's junta released this statement:
For land, or just for existing housing? I would prefer 30 minutes out of town or so anyway.

Living in the boonies is nice, but for the lack of services. I wonder how well satellite internet works these days?

Beer.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 05-02-2014 08:05:03 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Karnaj:
Living in the boonies is nice, but for the lack of services. I wonder how well satellite internet works these days?

Worthless.
The trick is to go out far enough to legally build a shooting range and keep livestock, but not so far as to lose DSL.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 05-03-2014 01:27:23 AM
Still alive.
Still engaged 5+ years, no children.
Consulting under my own firm.
Part time grad school in mathematics.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 05-03-2014 10:07:20 AM
quote:
Kaiote stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Worthless.
The trick is to go out far enough to legally build a shooting range and keep livestock, but not so far as to lose DSL.

I got spoiled to FIOS. DSL just doesn't cut it anymore...

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-03-2014 05:17:32 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Kaiote absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:

You'd have to check, but the former usually follows the latter. I know right now ND has some of the highest rents in the country, right up there with DC and SF, just due to lack of inventory.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 05-03-2014 10:08:49 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator came out of the closet to say:
I got spoiled to FIOS. DSL just doesn't cut it anymore...

Before I moved to Tennessee I lived adjacent to the Michigan State campus, and was eligible to buy access to their internet connection. 100 down, 100 up for like 10 bucks a month.

I miss it.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 05-04-2014 04:32:14 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Bloodsage stammered:
You'd have to check, but the former usually follows the latter. I know right now ND has some of the highest rents in the country, right up there with DC and SF, just due to lack of inventory.

Insanity.. I like rural, because it's cheap with less crime.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 05-04-2014 09:58:41 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Drysart said:
Before I moved to Tennessee I lived adjacent to the Michigan State campus, and was eligible to buy access to their internet connection. 100 down, 100 up for like 10 bucks a month.

I miss it.

running 75/35 at the moment (which I get like 85 to 90/35 because they can't math)... Haven't had the upgrades to the neighborhood to let me jump over the 100mbit hump yet.

And yeah, going to visit friends for holidays sucks. :|

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: