EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Google Glass Explorer-Invite
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 02-25-2014 02:25:17 PM
Been loving Glass for a while now, especially when walking around public events like festivals or car shows.

Today Google's given current explorers three invites to let other people join the Explorers. Any Evercresters itching to try it?

*Please note, the basic Glass package runs at $1,500.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-27-2014 08:29:30 AM
So wait, the invite merely gives us the privilege to fork over $1,500 for this thing?
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 02-27-2014 10:34:13 AM
Well, when you put it that way: Yes.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-27-2014 03:54:52 PM
So then you, too, can be beaten up in public places for filming people without their consent.

(not that you need their consent in a public place, but most idiots don't know that)

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-27-2014 06:35:48 PM
You mean be assaulted, have your $1500 device snatched off your head, chase them down to get it back only to find your purse stolen when you return because some fucktards assumed you were recording and when you attempted to show them that you weren't they went apeshit.

Which of course I have to assume that like 3 or 4 people whipped out cellphones and recorded some of it at least.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-28-2014 04:35:49 AM
If you're talking about the now infamous woman in a bar incident, it turns out she went into a punk bar and bragged she was filming everything, then her boyfriend started the fight.

Always two sides to a story. In this particular story, she was a fucking moron.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-28-2014 05:13:29 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
If you're talking about the now infamous woman in a bar incident, it turns out she went into a punk bar and bragged she was filming everything, then her boyfriend started the fight.

Always two sides to a story. In this particular story, she was a fucking moron.

No, really... this is my shocked face.

changing jobs soon and had pondered getting a pair, but the more I see people being stupid with them the less I want a set.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Drysart
Pancake
posted 02-28-2014 11:14:14 PM
I'm almost interested, but I really have no idea what sort of practical use I'd have for them.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 03-01-2014 12:42:25 AM
I tried them on and have astigmatism. It was hard to focus.

Just a warning.

edit: Just an FYI, these invites are hard to get. The local google group had to give them out base on need...

well I'll be... http://www.google.com/glass/help/frames/

diadem fucked around with this message on 03-01-2014 at 12:45 AM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 03-02-2014 01:34:24 PM
Yeah, the normal-looking frames make them look a billion times less geeky.

On a related topic, I'd like to hear some thoughts on this near-future scenario:

There's a Concert/comic convention/Car show I'm going to, while wearing Glass. I set up a stream from Glass to show everyone watching what I see and hear in real time. The viewers have a chat room feed to talk to each other that is shown to me on the Glass-display in real time.

So I'm walking around, people are checking out the stream, and typing things to me like: "Hey! Go check out that panel at 11:00!" or "I'd like to know more about the price, can you ask about it?"

But here's the rub: Is it creepy or inconsiderate to stream video from a public venue?

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-02-2014 06:43:48 PM
The closest I got to Google Glass was a coworker who got a pair, awkwardly used them for a bit, and couldn't really find much of a use for them. He returned them. It's a novel idea, but $1500 is way too high of a price point for this technology if you don't already have a solid use case for it. I think the best part of them was the fun situation of him having them on his head while looking at his cell phone.

Now, give me a Google Glass with a backward pointing camera so I can have the ability to always see what's going on behind me? I'd be interested. I don't need to record the shit I'm already looking at.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 03-02-2014 at 06:47 PM.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 03-23-2014 01:48:27 PM
Google Glass Off Hours for today (Cambridge, MA)

https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/cm8o52enml2jtarsut8tev5i28c

Includes some of the Glass team.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: