EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-10-2014 07:09:04 PM
Why did they think this would be a good thing?

Invited to beta this weekend, just played about an hours worth. Or should I say I just forced myself to play about an hours worth.

Utterly horrible. Poor character creation, crap graphics even on max (seriously, ESO, 1995 called and they want their MMO graphics back) and a horrible combat system that tries desperately to shoehorn number key activated typical MMO attacks into the normal Elder Scrolls mouse fighting system.

Good idea. Poor implementation. Avoid like the fucking plague.

Maradon!
posted 01-10-2014 07:35:15 PM
I agree.

When all the reviewers and press releases were assuring you, fervently, that the game played exactly like a multiplayer version of Skyrim, I knew that it wasn't going to be anything at all like Skyrim, or any elder scrolls game.

For a game with a rumored $200 million budget, there seems to be very little compelling, polished or original about it's development. The combat and character progression are scarcely disguised clones of Guild Wars 2. Combat still feels very non-realtime despite repeated assurances from the developers, you still spend all your time targeting things and pressing hotkeys, and ranged attacks are homing missiles.

Sure, you can "soft target" by looking at something and swinging your sword, but it doesn't change the way you play. It's still the same old shit. The worlds aren't even particularly inspired. Compared to much lower profile games like Aion and even SWTOR, everything I saw was pretty plain.

All in all, I am unimpressed, but unsurprised. The development standards on display are more what you'd expect from a Korean free to play.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 01-10-2014 at 07:39 PM.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 01-11-2014 12:59:48 AM
I got into one of the previous beta rounds and I haven't even bothered installing it for any subsequent betas. The game is total garbage.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-11-2014 04:11:15 AM
quote:
Maradon! said:
For a game with a rumored $200 million budget

Listen to some of the voice actors.

They got big names. With big pay checks.

Willias
Pancake
posted 01-12-2014 01:27:41 AM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about John Romero:
Listen to some of the voice actors.

They got big names. With big pay checks.

And then you talk to a lizardman who sounds like Microsoft Sam.

Edit: My opinion of the game: Tries really hard to make you think that you're playing an Elder Scrolls game, but then the MMO side of the game constantly lingers and reminds you that it isn't. It also doesn't help that the game just doesn't feel as open as a typical TES game as well.

Willias fucked around with this message on 01-12-2014 at 01:31 AM.

Maradon!
posted 01-12-2014 02:10:26 AM
Expected:

80% World of Warcraft
10% Guild Wars
10% Warhammer Online
0% Skyrim

Reality:

70% Guild Wars 2
20% Dark Age of Camelot
5% World of Warcraft
5% Skyrim

Willias
Pancake
posted 01-12-2014 02:11:26 PM
It seems pretty obvious that at some point in the game's development, that something happened and turned a lot of shit around to make the game more TES-like.

Honestly, I just wish they'd go full bore and completely scrap some of the MMO elements (I shouldn't need to make a new full suit of iron gear every two levels, come the fuck on) and just go full on Elder Scrolls. Too late in development for them to do that, but there's enough of a TES vibe here that I'm not convinced that it couldn't be done.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-12-2014 11:26:20 PM
I'm still waiting for the reveal that it's been a long, drawn out April Fools joke.
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-13-2014 03:13:48 AM
Yeah, less than two years ago this game still was a classical hotkey MMORPG. All the changes to that system were made once the public became aware of that fact and reacted in a less than stellar way. Why the thought making a hotkey MMORPG out of TES is anybody's guess. Because WoW, I reckon.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 01-13-2014 06:37:09 PM
I was expecting elder scrolls. And all I got was 2 one night stress tests 2 beta weekends and a pile of sadness that followed that made me not want to play this when it comes out.

I'm really happy I didn't wait in line last year at PAX East to play it, because that would have been the biggest waste of the day.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-14-2014 05:02:35 AM
Really hope this crashes and burns in record time so they can develop the things people want. Like continuous Fallout and proper Elder Scrolls games.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: