EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Did NOT call this.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-21-2013 09:02:51 AM
Utah judge rules state gay marriage ban unconstitutional.

My guess? The Utah state constitution is going to be amended in record time.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 12-23-2013 08:02:29 PM
It was a Federal judge that ruled it unconstitutional, which means they can't just amend the state constitution, it'll have to go to SCOTUS. And if SCOTUS affirms, that pretty much ends gay marriage restrictions in every state.

The irony, Utah's mormons, who dumped millions of dollars into banning gay marriage in California end up with it in their own backyard and possibly end up being the route by which it becomes legalized across the entire country.

Drysart fucked around with this message on 12-23-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 12-23-2013 11:36:26 PM
Seriously, that's some surprise buttsecks.
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-24-2013 08:58:52 AM
quote:
Drysart put down Tada! magazine long enough to type:
It was a Federal judge that ruled it unconstitutional, which means they can't just amend the state constitution, it'll have to go to SCOTUS. And if SCOTUS affirms, that pretty much ends gay marriage restrictions in every state.

The irony, Utah's mormons, who dumped millions of dollars into banning gay marriage in California end up with it in their own backyard and possibly end up being the route by which it becomes legalized across the entire country.

Well, it'll have to go through the 10th Circuit first, which, if the ruling is upheld, would flip the bans in Wyoming, Kansas, Colorado, and Oklahoma (it's already legal in New Mexico) while awaiting SCOTUS.

Meanwhile, I can only imagine the all the Utahns freaking out as gay marriages continue.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 01-01-2014 10:49:18 AM
Personally I see this whole fiasco as a waste of tax payer funds. Nobody has really explained to me why the ban should actually exist in a way that makes sense. I mean, to me it just seems like something totally arbitrary.

Plus the gay community seems to be the canaries to losing rights before everything goes to total shit...

edit: TLDR of original post.
The attitude around here is as follows: "If I could chose who I was attracted to I'd have hooked up with an ugly chick. But I can't. I like women that look a certain way. And if I was wired differently, fuck you for trying to tell me otherwise. America was founded on the idea of personal freedoms, and this is the middle of fucking Boston."

diadem fucked around with this message on 01-01-2014 at 11:23 AM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Maradon!
posted 01-10-2014 07:37:17 PM
The mormons have got to be crapping their magic underpants.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-10-2014 10:09:22 PM
It's kinda interesting from a cultural perspective. While a lot of states that have legalized gay marriage have done so through a legal, rather than a legislative ruling, they've tended to occur in more socially liberal states where homosexuality is, by and large, not objectionable. Here we have a state that is probably the most deeply religious and conservative in the union, and marriage equality is being forced on a largely rural and homophobic populace from above. It probably sets a benchmark for what we can expect in the coming years when gay marriage bans are overturned in deep south and other religious, conservative strongholds.

Beer.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-15-2014 07:59:21 AM
Oklahoma now? More like Oklahomo, amirite?!!?!?1

Beer.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 01-18-2014 03:02:03 PM
quote:
Karnaj stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Oklahoma now? More like Oklahomo, amirite?!!?!?1

Ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease make it through appeals...

I think over a decade is a long enough engagement, thanks.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-18-2014 10:14:21 PM
quote:
Zephyer Kyuukaze screamed this from the crapper:

You know, there are 16 other states where it's legal. You could have a destination gay wedding...IN SCENIC NEWARK, NEW JERSEY!

Beer.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-19-2014 03:18:58 AM
Newark Penn Station is quite nice!
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-19-2014 03:19:41 AM
I doubt they do weddings there, though.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Kloie
tunactsunamooon
posted 01-30-2014 02:48:50 PM
quote:
Zephyer Kyuukaze had this to say about Robocop:

I can't remember the password to my other account for the effing life of me, but I will add:

Our state song is a show tune and half our landmarks light up like rainbows. It was inevitable, you guys.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-31-2014 10:40:46 AM
It is remarkable how quickly the tide is turning. I don't even think that I, a long term and optimistic proponent of same-sex marriage, ever predicted anything close to this happening.

Beer.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-31-2014 11:23:09 AM
Oh, and I was just reading some of the old threads on here about gay marriage. I wonder if Azizza's still as much of an opponent of it as he was then, or if he's mellowed over the years? That'd be interesting to find out.

Beer.

Maradon!
posted 02-03-2014 06:49:35 PM
Incidentally, the next time someone tells you that local politics don't matter, remember where the decriminalization of marijuana and homosexuality started.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 02-03-2014 at 06:49 PM.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-26-2014 03:06:30 PM
And now Texas.

Be real interested to see what SCOTUS decides to do, and when.

Beer.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-26-2014 03:13:11 PM
I keep reading that as "SCROTUS" and then all kinds of bad images happen.
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: