EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Alteil: Horizons Pre-Alpha
diadem
eet bugz
posted 10-01-2013 04:31:22 PM
(Cross-Post from Something Awful)

Target Audience: I am a huge fan of old-school tactical RPGs.

Right now, there is a growing trend in the market to simplify games to reach a wider target market at the cost of depth. If you miss the thinking man/woman's style of game, then Alteil: Horizons is for you.

History:

The original Alteil was released in 2003 in Japan and 2006 in the US. It was a highly regarded tactical RPG where units and characters fought on a battle grid, where thinking a few moves in advance is much more important than chance.

The game's ownership went through multiple acquisitions. The old game's engine did not progress with the times and the IP was passed around like a hot potato.

Fast forward to now - The game's original creators got the rights back to their own game. My team, which includes fans GMs was given the US license. We are working with the original creators to make a sequel using modern tech to help fulfill the creator's vision.

Who are you/Who is paying for all this? I quit my job to start a game company, as did a few others on my team. We are currently paying out of pocket and through profits of the original game. You can find more info here. Basically, we are lest than a dozen guys and gals who really like tactics games and wanted the freedom to create a sequel to one of our favorites.

What other projects did your team/the Japanese team work on in the past? Legend of Zelda, Hellboy, Secret of Mana, Transformers, Wizardry Online, Chess 2, Yugi Oh!, Virtua Fighter, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, Pacific Rim, Xanadau, Tekken 5, Marvel Bishojo, Godzilla Final Wars, Code Geass, Guilty Gear, Final Fantasy X, Phantasy Star, Zoids, Duel Masters, Voltron, Mobile Suit Gundam, TNN Hardcore Heat, etc*

*My name may be on the credits for games like Interstate '76, Dark Reign, Civilization CTP, Heavy Gear and a few others, but I'm not counting these on the main list. I was just in external QA for these and feel it would be misleading to include them. Not included on the main list for similar reasons are things like Merideth's work for the Invader Zim DVD (she designed the Zim House DVD box)

How does the game play? There are two stages to the game. One of army building and one of fighting battles.

You start by constructing an army. Think Pokemon or M:TG in this stage (with the randomness elements removed). You select units and spells for your army. You also can balance hit points and special abilities depending on the style of tactics you are going for.

Once the game starts, summoned units enter a battle grid. Think Final Fantasy Tactics, X-Com, or the old SSI games at this stage. They take on the attributes of standard RPGs, going in order of agility, leveraging range and positions on the battlefield, and the like. Units have their own levels, current and max hp, and of course unqiue special abilities. Battlefield conditions affect game-play and vice-versa. For example, zombies would gain special abilities at night. Warriors become more powerful as their hero (you) level up. The leader of the Solar Kingdom would pull the power of the sun, even at night.

To go along with the tactical game, you have accsss to all your spells and units from the beginning. You unlock them by increasing your character's affinity to the old gods, and can cast them by using resource management.

Steam rolling is a bit harder in this game, as you get a unit's resources back when it dies.

Show me all the units and their abilities: Bamf!

Show me pretty art:

Show me gameplay
Range mechanics [video type="youtube"]MTCjnt_PGgw[/video]
Day Night Cycle [video type="youtube"]dyBKSjTveZU[/video]
Soul Cards [video type="youtube"]4WLJj3m7AoU[/video]

O.K. I'm sold, how do I play?
Send me a PM or reply to this thread. Right now the alpha supports the Chrome web browser (Linux/Windows/Mac) and the iPad. Invites will be accepted on a first come first serve basis. They will be limited the first couple weeks and grow exponentially in time.

Note that this is a pre-alpha, so there will be new features added rapidly. The first round of accepted alpha testers should start in a week or so.

My friend isn't a goon. Can he play?
Friends of goons are alright, but I'd rather keep it in the family, so to speak. At least until we are ready for the general public. Kickstarter backers are an exception to this, but may get their own server.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-05-2013 01:14:04 PM
Don't know how often i could play, but my email for this would be mrmoose0987@gmail.com
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 10-06-2013 06:26:19 PM
I'd like to check it out, homie. I'll send ya a PM here.
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 10-06-2013 06:28:22 PM
quote:
Software error:

open |/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -oi: Permission denied
at /ecforum2/cgi-bin/ubb_lib_mail.cgi line 35

For help, please send mail to the webmaster (root@localhost), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

Or not.

bajah@bajah.com - clever, I know.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 10-07-2013 10:03:23 PM
Whoops
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 10-07-2013 10:58:14 PM
Whoops.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-08-2013 04:22:12 AM
Whoops.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 10-08-2013 09:02:28 AM
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-09-2013 11:50:21 AM
Uh oh.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 10-09-2013 10:56:25 PM
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 10-10-2013 11:08:37 AM
Now that takes me back.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-10-2013 01:22:46 PM
"swearing"
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 10-13-2013 10:10:30 PM
Drysart
Pancake
posted 10-15-2013 08:35:28 PM
Addy
posted 10-23-2013 09:17:09 AM
uhoh
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 11-08-2013 08:37:21 AM
Congratulations on a successful take two, Diadem!
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 11-13-2013 12:44:33 PM
Thanks.

Edit: If you replied on this thread, check your PMs

diadem fucked around with this message on 11-13-2013 at 12:52 PM.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 11-13-2013 01:50:31 PM
Oh, if anyone doesn't mind making a "let's play" it would be highly appreciated.

You can use "s" to turn on and off the music

Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 11-13-2013 07:22:55 PM
quote:
diadem painfully thought these words up:
Oh, if anyone doesn't mind making a "let's play" it would be highly appreciated.

You can use "s" to turn on and off the music

I was going to do a small preview write up for a gaming site I write for part time. I have to say, I don't usually play card games, but after a couple rounds, I can see myself enjoying lazy weekend days playing for hours.

With your blessing of course, I hate doing write ups and then come to find out the Dev comes back with an embargo on any info about the game. (Happened a few times with review copies of games and a few indie developers too).

Just let me know, via the ole PM or email or whatever if I'd be good to go on it.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 11-14-2013 11:19:34 AM
quote:
Brahmin Bloodlust Model 2000 was programmed to say:
I was going to do a small preview write up for a gaming site I write for part time. I have to say, I don't usually play card games, but after a couple rounds, I can see myself enjoying lazy weekend days playing for hours.

With your blessing of course, I hate doing write ups and then come to find out the Dev comes back with an embargo on any info about the game. (Happened a few times with review copies of games and a few indie developers too).

Just let me know, via the ole PM or email or whatever if I'd be good to go on it.

That would be great!

We had press embargos in the past but nothing good came from them.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 11-16-2013 11:10:16 AM
Let's play footage is beginning to trickle in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZjQBCGS5as

diadem fucked around with this message on 11-16-2013 at 11:10 AM.

nem-x
posted 11-16-2013 12:45:13 PM
Is that music part of the game? And can you turn it off because uhhh
diadem
eet bugz
posted 11-19-2013 11:45:48 AM
quote:
nem-x had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Is that music part of the game? And can you turn it off because uhhh

You can press "S" to turn the music on/off.

Redmage Darkrayver
Moron
posted 11-26-2013 03:39:39 PM
Came in, saw the other thread on your game, went to the recent kickstarter page and chipped in some.

The artwork looks amazing, and I'm looking forward to giving it some playtime when it's released 'n whatnot.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: