EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: BOOKS!
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 05-17-2013 09:14:22 AM
I'm about to finish 'Ready Player One' and highly recommend it to people who enjoy 80's culture, MMO's and sci-fi adventure.

Anyone else read good books lately? Gotta find something to jump to afterwards.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 05-17-2013 09:20:48 AM
quote:
Rodent King thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
I'm about to finish 'Ready Player One' and highly recommend it to people who enjoy 80's culture, MMO's and sci-fi adventure.

Anyone else read good books lately? Gotta find something to jump to afterwards.

I've been on an audible.com binge. You may want to check out Masters of Doom, narrated by Wil Wheton.

Then there are the hugo award winners. Think of that as a vetting process for you, so it's a good list.

One author you may want to check out is Larry Correia. Both the Monster Hunter series and the Spellbound series are awesome.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-17-2013 09:30:27 AM
Parce's books, of course!
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

nem-x
posted 05-18-2013 12:24:56 AM
The Eisenhorn trilogy from warhammer 40k
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 05-18-2013 04:25:07 AM
quote:
Karnaj painfully thought these words up:
Parce's books, of course!

Yes.
quote:
nem-x impressed everyone with:
The Eisenhorn trilogy from warhammer 40k

Probably among the best books the WH40K universe has to offer, but I should point out that you'll lose some enjoyment if you know nothing about Warhammer 40K.

- The Black Company by Glen Cook. I picked it up because it deviates from the standard fantasy formula of "one hero/group fight against the evil flavour of the day". I really enjoyed that series.

- Also, one of the best books I have read in the last ten years is A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (and it's prequel A Deepness in the Sky, but the order doesn't really matter).

- Almost on the same level quality-wise is the Hyperion Cantos, a series of books by Dan Simmons.

- All the books of Neal Asher's Polity Universe.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 05-18-2013 02:43:09 PM
quote:
Tarquinn had this to say about Pirotess:
if you know nothing about Warhammer 40K.

"Red wunz go fastah"?

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 05-20-2013 07:47:05 PM
Me just hab slab froglok say duh Flour For Al-someting tingy for me. Da best part wuz dat me got ta eet him when he done. Dat make me really like da book.

If you hab food-slabe froglok, do dat too.

diadem fucked around with this message on 05-20-2013 at 07:49 PM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-21-2013 02:13:52 AM
I have mentioned Jacqueline Carey here before; the first three books of Kushiel's Legacy (Dart, Chosen, and Avatar) are the best but they are not everyone's favorite (Vernal was not a fan, as I recall). Genre-wise, they are an odd meeting of worlds between Romance and Fantasy with a BDSM flavor (published long before the fad started); it was the author's voice, lexicon, and character development that really got me, though. I have been meaning to read her other books but Banewreaker turned me off and I have not been reading a lot in the last few years.

David Farland's Runelord's series was pretty okay, though it got this DBZ-like power level thing going after a while; I only read up to Lair of Bones, so I do not know where it ultimately went.

Kristen Britain and Juliet Marillier are pretty decent but it has been so long since I read those books that I cannot comment on them beyond generally good feelings. Diana Paxson is a fascinating individual (she is my aunt by marriage; spent quite a bit of time with until recently) and I have heard good things about Brisingamen and Westria; I have not read these because I have not read much of anything in the last four years but they are on my list as I am fond of the Norse stuff and I know Diana's research is impeccable on the subject.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 05-21-2013 at 02:14 AM.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-21-2013 02:22:14 AM
Parcelan's books were evidently popular enough to merit a torrent (linked on the assumption that Parce will want it taken down).

Damnati fucked around with this message on 05-21-2013 at 02:22 AM.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

nem-x
posted 05-21-2013 09:37:35 AM
Why would you even do that
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: