EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Dresden Files
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-04-2012 08:50:26 PM
So I'm starting to re-read Storm Front, because both Amazon and the Apple book store are so clogged with self-published crap I can't find anything new and interesting to read.

So...McAnally's Pub. Really? I'd forgotten how fucking annoying that was in a book that purports to take itself seriously.

Not sure I can finish. Must. Be. Strong.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 05-04-2012 09:14:43 PM
not sure where you're going on that one...

If Mac's place is an issue, you're probably going to have problems throughout the series.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-04-2012 09:23:01 PM
It's, um, the name. Might as well call it McOrally's, or The Reverse Cowgirl Grill. Although, now that I think of it, I call dibs on the latter for when I retire and open a restaurant.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 05-04-2012 09:28:29 PM
The Dresden Files. Can't wait for Cold Days...
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-04-2012 09:31:12 PM
How do you not sgrandma and roll your eyes every time he mentions going to McAnally's?

Edit: Wow, now that's funny.

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 05-04-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 05-05-2012 07:36:24 AM
Just skip storm front and fool moon. Madness lies there.
Akiraiu Zenko
posted 05-05-2012 10:41:03 PM
I dunno. Graduated from grade school?
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 05-06-2012 01:12:03 AM
Everything has been named, all names have been used. If you want something original, you're fucked?

*EDIT*

I think it just hit me, and I'd bet we're using different pronunciations..... Seriously, you're going that lowbrow?

Random Insanity Generator fucked around with this message on 05-06-2012 at 01:13 AM.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-06-2012 01:48:24 AM
I'm not sure how else one would pronounce "anally." Putting "Mc" in front of it doesn't change how you pronounce "Donald," does it?

Maradon!
posted 05-06-2012 02:42:07 PM
If you think that's bad, consider that Mcanally is actually a real scottish surname and that there are over 4600 people with that surname in the United States, according to howmanyofme.com which draws on census data.

It is twice as popular as the first name Oral (around 1100 people).

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 05-06-2012 02:59:55 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Knight Rider:
I'm not sure how else one would pronounce "anally." Putting "Mc" in front of it doesn't change how you pronounce "Donald," does it?

Anal*ly
An*ally
An*al*ly

Your choice.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-06-2012 04:39:15 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Maradon! squealed:
If you think that's bad, consider that Mcanally is actually a real scottish surname and that there are over 4600 people with that surname in the United States, according to howmanyofme.com which draws on census data.

It is twice as popular as the first name Oral (around 1100 people).

There's probably some poor dude out there running around with the name Oral McAnally, then. Bet he just loooved school!

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 05-06-2012 07:30:27 PM
What's the big deal? It's pronounced "Mac-ah-nally". "Mac" McAnally has been a member of Jimmy Buffett's Coral Reefer Band for years. Seen him in concert a bunch of times.
Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-06-2012 08:10:17 PM
I guess I've just never known anyone by that name, so when I see it, all I see is [mik-A-nal-ly]. Like the word.

Had the same problem on the jet, since some lab geek decided to label the "Analysis" button on on the o-scope with "ANAL."

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 05-09-2012 11:20:28 PM
Yeah, it's always been Call's pronunciation for me, so I've never had issue with it. I've never heard it any other way.

I would argue the idea that the Dresden Files series always takes itself entirely seriously, though.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-10-2012 07:39:37 AM
For me, it's like Pratchett's Mr. Teatime; I can't really look at an existing word and pronounce it strangely without a lot of mental effort.

Peter
Pancake
posted 05-12-2012 09:50:53 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Bloodsage!
For me, it's like Pratchett's Mr. Teatime; I can't really look at an existing word and pronounce it strangely without a lot of mental effort.

Like 4 a clock in the afternoon?? Really was the only way I found out how it was supposed to sound.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 05-13-2012 10:28:23 AM
I was thinking last night, Dresden files would make damn good movies.
Vin~
Crack Dealer
First One's Free!
posted 05-13-2012 04:48:18 PM
I actually just finished watching the twelve episodes of the Dresden Files on Netflix. It found it entertaining, but I have never read any of the books.

Vin~ fucked around with this message on 05-13-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 05-13-2012 07:38:39 PM
quote:
Vin~ enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
I actually just finished watching the twelve episodes of the Dresden Files on Netflix. It found it entertaining, but I have never read any of the books.

They made way too many compromises to make it a syfy show, in my opinion. As usual, the books are way better, as long as you aren't 12, as evidenced above.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-13-2012 08:40:36 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Delphi Aegis absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
They made way too many compromises to make it a syfy show, in my opinion. As usual, the books are way better, as long as you can't read, as evidenced above.

There, fixed it for you.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 05-13-2012 09:12:47 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about Cuba:
They made way too many compromises to make it a syfy show, in my opinion. As usual, the books are way better, as long as you aren't 12, as evidenced above.

I have the series, haven't watch any of it. Mostly because "Hockey stick? Jeep? Bob was human? Fuck that noise."

Fortunately Jim got the rights back somewhat recently and is looking into what it would take to "do things right"...

Akiraiu Zenko
posted 05-14-2012 11:19:05 AM
quote:
Bloodsage spewed forth this undeniable truth:
There, fixed it for you.

No, I think he had it right the first time.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-14-2012 05:15:59 PM
Nope. Like Mr. Teatime, there's no real way to know the "right" way to pronounce something that's spelled like an ordinary word, but pronounced differently. So neener.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 05-14-2012 11:57:43 PM
quote:
Vin~ had this to say about Optimus Prime:

Oh god, don't base your opinion on that horrible "adaptation"

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 06-02-2012 10:01:50 AM
I dunno. "McRimjob's Pub" or whatever variant Bloodsage comes up with would still make me snicker. But I can appreciate a good juvenile moment.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: