EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Mass Effect 3
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-08-2012 09:04:49 PM
Review bombing.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/mass-effect-3/

Not played it yet so I can't comment, but if it's even more dumbed down than ME2 was from ME1 (I loved ME1 to bits) then they can't be far away from the mark.

Also, Day 1 DLC is always money-grabbing bullshit.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-08-2012 10:07:58 PM
I'm confused. What's this about having to play multiplayer to win single player? My braen can't wrap itself around that one.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-08-2012 10:26:16 PM
ME3 is less dumbed down than ME2 was. Manchildren would whine about dumbing down even if they made it as complicated as a PC game from the early 90s.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-08-2012 11:46:57 PM
Multi isn't required to get the best ending. It is just one of many ways to increase a meter (from what I've heard). It is totally possible to max this meter through single player content, though.

Pretty much, if you love multi, you can get the best ending with very little single player stuff. If you hate multi, you can do more of what you enjoy to get the best ending.

This is just what I've heard -- I haven't gotten to play yet, and won't get to until Sunday

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 03-09-2012 02:19:40 AM
Got it yesterday, and played some multiplayer, which is surprisingly fun.

- The DLC is some bonus content for the collector's edition, and while it is supposed to be quite nice, it isn't essential for the story.
- If you just want the story, without paying extra for the collector's edition, you can buy the DLC since day one.
- The multiplayer raises "Galactic Readiness" which you need at 100% (or close to) for the best ending.
- You can raise the galactic readiness in single player to 100% by doing most (or all?) of the side missions. No need to do any multiplayer for the best ending.
- However, if you rush through the game, sticking to the main plot, and don't do any multi-player, you cannot get the best ending.
- The RPG system is a little bite more elaborate than in ME2, but still a little bit less complex than in ME1. Mass Effect never was a hardcore RPG where you can spend hours optimizing your character.
- I don't know what people are smoking. *

* Since Bioware joined forces with EA, and especially since Dragon Age II (which is good, just not Bioware good) there is a lot of unwarranted hate for Bioware out there. Seems to be the cool thing to hate right now.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 03-09-2012 at 02:24 AM.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-09-2012 05:03:07 AM
quote:
Tarquinn said:
Dragon Age II

I had a lot of hate for this when it first came out.

But then I played a wise-cracking bald mage who always had Varric in the group.

Then I enjoyed it quite a lot!

Maradon!
posted 03-09-2012 08:24:41 PM
I think the ME3 hatred is coming from three sources:

• Jesus freaks outraged at the inclusion of gay and alien sexual relationships.

• Enraged neckbeards still seething over the Jen "Hamburger" Hepler interview. This bioware plot writer sparked a nerd firestorm in an interview where she basically said that she hates playing video games, and wants all the "combats" and gameplay in video games to be skippable so she can focus on designing a character that looks like Edward Cullen and choosing all the male-male romance dialogue options. (near as I can tell, Hepler didn't actually work on ME3)

• Bored Call of Duty players who pan any game that doesn't feature a dozen identically performing weapons and characters with uncreative nicknames.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 03-09-2012 at 08:25 PM.

• Drysart
    Pancake
    posted 03-09-2012 10:46:13 PM
    Holy shit the textures in this game look like absolute ass.
    Tarquinn
    posted 03-10-2012 04:15:19 AM
    Ass might be a bit of an overstatement,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeM8HSDItmM&context=C4a6e5e1ADvjVQa1Pp cFO7Y0ehWcIZJpF9wUcekaQjvj-6ZeZD7jY=

but yeah, consoles are holding back the PC big time.

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 03-10-2012 05:42:58 AM
    I think they ripped James directly out of Jersey Shore.

He seems like a swell guy, but because he looks like a douche I just don't like him.

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 03-10-2012 05:45:57 AM
    quote:
    Drysart said:

Better than the textures in SWTOR, which are locked on "Medium". The setting also known as "Muddy" and "this is just awful".

They switch to High Definition during cutscenes and ONLY in cutscenes. BioWare have stated this is to streamline the texture loading process and reduce slowdown in lesser systems. So now they're choosing my graphical options for me.

Though there are high res texture sets coming in Patch 1.2 so I guess I can't complain too much.

Drysart
    Pancake
    posted 03-10-2012 12:54:35 PM
    quote:
    Mortious came out of the closet to say:
    Better than the textures in SWTOR, which are locked on "Medium". The setting also known as "Muddy" and "this is just awful".

Clothing is about the same as SWTOR. If you really want to be annoyed by the shit texturing, look at a cutscene where you can see Shepard's hands. Especially if you can see them in closeup. They look like they were textured on a Commodore 64. They are literally the worst textured objects I've seen in a game in at least 10 years.

(At least Femshep has the problem. Not sure if Maleshep does.)

Vallo, the Second Coming
    Pancake
    posted 03-10-2012 01:09:41 PM
    I've pretty much decided I will never buy a game that I immediately have to turn around and buy DLC for the rest of the game. This is the most bullshit trend in gaming I can remember.

P.S. Good Guy Bethesda:

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
    Kegwen
    Sonyfag
    posted 03-10-2012 02:25:09 PM
    quote:
    How.... Vallo, the Second Coming.... uughhhhhh:
    I've pretty much decided I will never buy a game that I immediately have to turn around and buy DLC for the rest of the game. This is the most bullshit trend in gaming I can remember.

"have to"

Also: what do you think level designers do when a game enters alpha? Depending on the studio, they're either mostly fired (remaining staff help with bugfixes), move on to the next big game, or they work on DLC.

I know most people would rather them move on to the next project, but the perception of malice here is misguided. I'd rather it be free, too, but it's not as evil as Internet people think it is.

Related:
    https://twitter.com/#!/deliciousbees/status/177840901140398080

https://twitter.com/#!/aegies/status/178255111284469762

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 03-10-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Maradon!
    posted 03-10-2012 07:56:12 PM
    Hatred for zero day DLC is another one of those irrational and emotion-driven gripes that is revealed internally inconsistent by even casual analysis.

Nobody would mind the idea of a short campaign and an extra character being a collectors edition bonus. I can say this with confidence because that's exactly what the From Ashes DLC is and nobody has yet complained about that method of delivery.

Take the exact same campaign and character and make it a ten dollar download - half the cost of upgrading to the CE - and suddenly, as if by magic, everybody thinks it's bullshit.

Is Mass Effect 3 somehow incomplete without From Ashes? I have not once seen anybody try to make the case that it is, and yet it's assumed to be incomplete by the people complaining about release day DLC, and in a display of circular logic that would make a creationist blush, the only evidence they offer is the mere existence of release day DLC.

It cost money to produce From Ashes, money above and beyond the development cost of Mass Effect 3. It's content is extra, Mass Effect 3 would be well worth your sixty dollars without it.

There is absolutely no reason why the developer should not charge more for the extra work they've done.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 03-10-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Maradon!
    posted 03-11-2012 03:13:12 AM
    Good graphics are not the draw they once were.

You look at the top selling games of 2011 only the Call of Duty titles put much of their stock in graphics. Portal 2 ran on an eight year old engine, Lego Star Wars is hardly known for photo realism, and pokemon - which occupies two spots in the two 10 - only tries to look better than other pokemon titles.

I don't want to say that good graphics are old hat now, but that is exactly the case.

Anyway weren't you also nitpicking the textures in the dang spiderman movies?

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 03-11-2012 at 03:14 AM.

nem-x
    posted 03-11-2012 04:41:57 AM
    I'm pretty sure that top ten list isn't very accurate
    Maradon!
    posted 03-11-2012 01:12:41 PM
    Two sites agreed on that list but it looks like it was made in September.

One made in December lists:
    1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
    2. Just Dance 3
    3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    4. Battlefield 3
    5. Portal 2
    6. Batman: 
Arkham City
    7. Just Dance 2
    8. Madden NFL 12
    9. Gears of War 3
    10. Call of Duty: Black Ops

Which still largely reinforces my point.

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 03-11-2012 01:40:46 PM
    Just Dance?

Get that shit off my list.

Drysart
    Pancake
    posted 03-11-2012 04:10:26 PM
    quote:
    Maradon! came out of the closet to say:
    Good graphics are not the draw they once were.

Good graphics are not the draw of every game, but when you're building a game that meets these conditions:

1) Is a cutscene-driven drama,
    2) Has pretty thin gameplay, and
    3) Doesn't have a specific less-realistic visual style its aiming for

You've got the perfect storm of 'what the hell were they thinking?' because for a game that hits all three of those points, you'd better have good graphics because your ability to draw people into your cutscenes is what you're leaning on.

You certainly don't want people's attention suddenly drawn to what appear to be pixelated sausages whenever your framing happens to put the character hands prominently in the foreground.

They're not just 'sort of' bad. They're incredibly bad. They literally look like there's a single 64x64 texture mapped onto them. Like the rest of the game is sporting 2005-era graphics, but these hands are 1998-era. That's what makes them stand out so much, because they're so immensely worse than everything else.

nem-x
    posted 03-11-2012 04:20:09 PM
    So apparently you can unlock Javik by just editing one line of code

I don't think this gives you access to the Eden Prime mission where you get him, or have him in his room on the Normandy, but I'm pretty sure that stuff is hidden on the disc too.

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 03-11-2012 05:35:02 PM
    I have to agree with Drysart here, the graphics are horrendous.

Don't get me wrong, at first glance they are GORGEOUS. But then you start to look deeper and discover that the only gorgeous graphics are the faces and ships and walls. Everything else looks like mud slapped on by incredibly lazy texture artists. Case in point; go to Purgatory (the bar on the Citadel) and look over the edge at the main entrance since you go in the VIP entrance. You'll see many blocky, barely-textured, people standing there waiting in line. It's beyond bad.

Oh, and I unlocked the entire Prothean DLC by slightly altering a single EXE file. The character, the mission, everything. Money-grabbing bastards.

Mortious fucked around with this message on 03-11-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Khyron
    Hello, my mushy friend...
    posted 03-12-2012 12:01:28 AM
    I liked the game intensely up until the endings. The endings put a HORRIBLE taste in my mouth.

All 3 games are intensely character-driven. They provide massive amounts of interplay between the characters, character-specific storylines, sidequests, unlocks, upgrades, and generally do everything they can to get you to care about each and every one of your teammates. ME3 is no different; throughout the game are incredibly fun and exciting and funny and sad and touching scenes between you and your comrades that made me enjoy the hell out of it.

Then you get to the end, which gives you a shitty 3-button choice akin to Deus Ex (Though apparently the 3rd choice requires the maxxed-out amount of war assets). Each of the endings is unsatisfying and unoriginal. All the people you spent all the time in all the games building up relationships vanish into the abyss. You never find out what they did after you made that choice, how the galaxy ended up with your decision. You never find out what happened to all the races. You get a cutscene with a different-colored explosion and that's it.

Up until then, I was willing to overlook the graphics, the 'day one DLC', Anderson's running animation, and all the other issues people have been pointing out left and right. But the endings absolutely ruined the entire goddamn game for me.

If you care, here are the 3 endings :

1. Shepherd sacrifices him/herself to take control of the reapers to stop their attacks on organics. The mass effect relays are destroyed but the earth is saved. The normandy crash-lands on some remote jungle planet.

2. Shepherd destroys the reapers and ALL synthetic life (Including the Geth, and likely EDI as well). There's an explosion which it's not shown if he/she survives or not, but probably not since Shep was pretty fucked up before being engulfed in flames. The mass effect relays are destroyed, the earth is saved, and the normandy crash lands.

3. The high-war-asset ending, 'Synthesis'. Shepherd combines all organic and synthetic life to create a new hybrid of the two. All the mass effect relays are destroyed and the normandy crash lands, but when joker and EDI come out of the ship both have glowing green circuitry-looking skin and clothing.

No matter what you do, The fleets are stranded in the sol system, your crew is stranded god-knows-where, and your character is dead.

Khyron fucked around with this message on 03-12-2012 at 12:19 AM.

Tarquinn
    posted 03-12-2012 03:31:48 AM
    Yeah, there's no way to defend the hand "textures" and the running animations. The other stuff you only notice when you actively look for it. Guess they did that so that the weaker consoles can keep up.

We really need the next genration of consoles, or more developers that give a damn about the PC.

Also, "From the Ashes" really does feel like cut content for the purpose of making an extra buck, so I can see where the criticism is coming from.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 03-12-2012 at 03:41 AM.

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 03-12-2012 05:36:11 AM
    I keep looking for "Directed by J. J. Abrams" somewhere in the game.

The lens flares.

Holey moley, the lens flares.

Peter
    Pancake
    posted 03-12-2012 05:55:50 AM
    quote:
    Mortious impressed everyone with:
    Just Dance?

Get that shit off my list.

Thoses games sold like crazy over the 4th Quarter, though I wonder if the number gets padded a bit from the games being bundled with a console, or part of major retailer's promos were you nab a free game, or you by x games and get a gift card deal.

Tarquinn
    posted 03-12-2012 06:24:08 AM
    I was rolling my eyes so hard at the EDI fanservice. It comes complete with cameltoe.

At least Bioware was aware of that, as Jack made an appropiate comment. "Hey EDI nice body, Now you look like a Sexbot instead of a sextoy".

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 03-12-2012 at 06:24 AM.

Bloodsage
    Heart Attack
    posted 03-12-2012 04:42:21 PM
    quote:
    Verily, the chocolate bunny rabbits doth run and play while Khyron gently hums:
    I liked the game intensely up until the endings. The endings put a HORRIBLE taste in my mouth.

Seems to me you may be doing it wrong....

Khyron
    posted 03-12-2012 08:38:42 PM
    quote:
    Bloodsage had this to say about dark elf butts:
    Seems to me you may be doing it wrong....

I can't help it. My femshep was so sexy I just had to lick the monitor every time she was on screen.

Bloodsage
    Heart Attack
    posted 03-12-2012 08:53:54 PM

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 03-12-2012 09:33:40 PM
    I quite like the Prothean. Especially when you introduce him as "the Prothean" and people are all, "oh pleased to meet y.. wait.. WHAT?". A few chuckles are to be had.

The infinite ammo particle beam rifle he adds to your armoury isn't bad either.

Ghost of Forums Past
    Pancake
    posted 03-13-2012 12:49:19 PM
    quote:
    Mortious stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
    Review bombing.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/mass-effect-3/

Not played it yet so I can't comment, but if it's even more dumbed down than ME2 was from ME1 (I loved ME1 to bits) then they can't be far away from the mark.

Also, Day 1 DLC is always money-grabbing bullshit.

In fairness, at least according to their PR team posting to reddit, the DLC thing was more of a logistics issue.

They started working on it as soon as the DVD went gold. Since getting a game published is a time consuming process and making a DLC isn't nearly as much so, they were able to get the DLC out the door before the red tape of publishing a DVD was finished - again, all according to the reddit posts.

quote:
    Drysart had this to say about dark elf butts:

Who the hell are you ? Can you unban the Diadem account?

Khyron
    posted 03-13-2012 03:11:40 PM
    quote:
    When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Mortious said:
    I quite like the Prothean. Especially when you introduce him as "the Prothean" and people are all, "oh pleased to meet y.. wait.. WHAT?". A few chuckles are to be had.

The infinite ammo particle beam rifle he adds to your armoury isn't bad either.

Definitely one of my favorite characters, though I'd have easily shot him through all four eyes just to get Legion back

The gun would be nice if it did damage. Using it felt like I was using a water pistol against most enemies.

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 03-13-2012 09:38:03 PM
    It does stacked damage, and by that I mean the longer you're firing the more damage it does but the faster it uses ammo.

If you're firing continuously and it suddenly goes BLAAAARRRGGGHHHH with a much wider beam, that's when your damage peaks.

nem-x
    posted 03-14-2012 12:49:06 AM
    FF13 still has a worse ending
    Khyron
    posted 03-14-2012 07:06:11 PM
    quote:
    Mortious had this to say about Robocop:
    It does stacked damage, and by that I mean the longer you're firing the more damage it does but the faster it uses ammo.

If you're firing continuously and it suddenly goes BLAAAARRRGGGHHHH with a much wider beam, that's when your damage peaks.

Well then that's part of my problem. I either play Vanguard where I'm charging everywhere raping everything and never firing long enough to get the bonus, or I'm playing Infiltrator and 1-shotting almost everything with the Black Widow. God that sniper rifle is great.

Those two classes are just so much fun.

Bajah
    Thooooooor
    posted 03-15-2012 11:26:58 AM
    quote:
    Those good ol' boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye, singin' this'll be the day that I Khyron:

No matter what you do, The fleets are stranded in the sol system, your crew is stranded god-knows-where, and your character is dead.

I pretty much agree with everything said here (including what I cropped out of the quote). One thing that left me confused was WHY would Joker and your crewmates leave the Sword group and jump in a Mass Relay at the end of the battle, to get caught by the explosion and crash land? Where are they going? WHY are they abandoning Shep? Your romance interest gets off the ship with EDI and Joker (at least in my ending) If they were in your group when you went after the 'teleport beam' to the Citadel, they still get off the ship with EDI and Joker -- how the hell did they get there and why did they leave Shep, too?

I refuse to believe your crew, the people who swear they'll always have your back, would take the eff off.

Bajah fucked around with this message on 03-15-2012 at 11:27 AM.

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 03-15-2012 03:07:00 PM
    quote:
    Khyron said:
    Well then that's part of my problem. I either play Vanguard where I'm charging everywhere raping everything and never firing long enough to get the bonus, or I'm playing Infiltrator and 1-shotting almost everything with the Black Widow. God that sniper rifle is great.

Those two classes are just so much fun.

I'm playing a Soldier because I have no imagination.

I normally go with the particle rifle for close range and a sniper rifle for long range. No need to carry anything else.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
    Are you looking at my pine tree again?
    posted 03-17-2012 07:09:06 PM
    quote:
    Mortious had this to say about pies:
    I'm playing a Soldier because I have no imagination.

I normally go with the particle rifle for close range and a sniper rifle for long range. No need to carry anything else.

Hey, nothing wrong with a Soldier. It's fun to charge in and shoot everything.

The Collector beam gun was my favorite in 2, along with cryo ammo. I'm not far enough in 3 to have a favorite weapon yet. Just about to go to Televen (Yes I finally played the series)

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Khyron
    posted 03-18-2012 02:55:49 AM
    quote:
    Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Cuba:
    Hey, nothing wrong with a Soldier. It's fun to charge in and shoot everything.

The Collector beam gun was my favorite in 2, along with cryo ammo. I'm not far enough in 3 to have a favorite weapon yet. Just about to go to Televen (Yes I finally played the series)

Palavin? The turian homeworld? Or was there another planet that I don't remember called Televen?

All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: