EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Help me improve my credit!
Gadani
U
posted 12-18-2011 12:49:01 AM
Alright guys, I have a really good credit score but there are a few things holding me back:

1) Length of credit history - I can't do anything about this, I'm only 22 and my (one) credit card has been open since I turned 18.

2) Amount of credit lines - I can do something about this, as I only have one line of credit (my super low-limit credit card).

My question is this: What's the best way to go about opening more credit lines? Should I just wait until I get a mortgage? Should I open a new credit card or three and just rarely use them? Should I take out a loan for nothing?

Thanks for any help.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 12-18-2011 02:01:19 AM
The question is, WHY do you need to improve your credit? Are you getting denied for a car loan or some such?

Pretty much, you don't need a giant bucketload of credit cards or anything to have 'good' credit. One card that you've routinely paid each month and carry a small balance on should be more than enough. You'll get very favorable credit rates and such provided you have a decently paying job.

Unless you need credit for something, don't get more than one card. MAYBE get a gas card and pay it off monthly or something, that should have a low limit. Just don't get a store card (like, say, from Target). Those tend to look bad, from what I've seen.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-18-2011 08:14:38 AM
Rather than getting a bunch of random cards you don't want or need (and which might end up costing you money in fees), just raise the limit on the card you have while continuing to use it responsibly. You could also get one of the gasoline credit cards, if you go to the same brand all the time. Some of them, like Exxon's speed pass thingy, actually make things simpler, and you consolidate your accounting as an extra bonus. Or, the next time you buy, say, a bedroom set for a few grand that you're planning to save up a few months for, you could get a small signature loan through your bank and then pay it off quickly using the money you were planning to save in the first place.

But, really, time and responsibility are the best ways to raise your score.

Another factor can be history with your bank. If you have a good, long-term relationship with your bank, they'll treat you much better when it comes time to sign a loan for a house or car.

Finally, while the credit score is important, for major purchases (house, car) it's just as important to have a good income and some savings. I know it sounds obvious...but the overriding concern is your ability to pay it back, not your credit score. Unless it's abysmally low, it won't disqualify you, but simply cost a few points in interest that you can usually make up for with additional payments. But even if you have perfect credit, no one will loan you the money for a Ferrari on a $20K salary.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Gadani
U
posted 12-19-2011 12:39:20 AM
Oh, well nevermind then. My credit score, like I said, is really good already (I just wanted to make it better, I guess) and I've been with my bank since I was 16.

Thanks guys!

Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 12-31-2011 01:08:05 PM
Or... Stop falling for the man's crap and stop using credit cards all together! A Credit Score is just a measure of how much debt you have. Pay everything off and start saving cash to buy things. After 6 or 7 years you end up with no credit score at all. But guess what? You can probably buy that "thing" you want with cash!

Step 1: save $1000 emergency fund.
Step 2: Debt Snowball (pay off smallest bill first, roll that amount into next biggest, rinse, repeat)
Step 3: Save 3-6 months income (Put it in a mutual fund or something. Somewhere you can access it quickly without paying fees for doing so)

The rest of the stuff can be found here.

He's a religious guy, but all of his stuff works! I've seen people I know pay of 10's of thousands of dollars in debt in no time.

anyway, good luck with that.

nem-x
posted 12-31-2011 01:46:37 PM
Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 01-01-2012 02:47:14 AM
yes, because preparing for emergencies and being able to retire filthy rich is stupid! Let's all wallow in poverty. But hey, we'll have "stuff"!
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 01-01-2012 11:04:23 AM
The part that's terrible is the part where you pay the smallest bill first. If you have trouble remembering to pay bills maybe, but otherwise it is much better to pay the highest interest debt first regardless of the balance. Pick an amount you can budget towards debt every month that is above your minimum payments, pay the minimum on everything but the highest rate debt, and pay the rest of your budget there. Once that is paid off do the same with the second highest interest debt.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 01-01-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-01-2012 12:17:05 PM
Yes, paying things off by balance is financially silly. As Blindy said, your best bang for the buck is paying down the highest-interest debt first.

Also, it's bad advice to avoid credit cards altogether, unless you have no willpower and habitually abuse them. If nothing else, paying for something with a credit card gives you legal recourse if you get ripped off, in some cases, which you won't have by forking over cash. And, properly managed, cards are a smart way to consolidate purchases and keep records of them.

And OBTW, $1000 is sort of a pitiful "emergency fund." I can't think of too many events I'd categorize as an emergency that can be fixed for less than a grand.

Blindy.
posted 01-01-2012 01:43:34 PM
quote:
Bloodsage must read alot of poetry:
And OBTW, $1000 is sort of a pitiful "emergency fund." I can't think of too many events I'd categorize as an emergency that can be fixed for less than a grand.

$1000 is a pretty shitty emergency fund, but it's dumb to have a big emergency fund when you're paying 30% interest on debt. You can use the credit cards as your emergency fund.

The most important thing about getting out of debt is realizing that you can't buy anything new that you don't need until you pay off the things you already bought.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-01-2012 02:29:14 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Blindy. squealed:
$1000 is a pretty shitty emergency fund, but it's dumb to have a big emergency fund when you're paying 30% interest on debt. You can use the credit cards as your emergency fund.

The most important thing about getting out of debt is realizing that you can't buy anything new that you don't need until you pay off the things you already bought.

Tru dat. Gotta prioritize the goals--tough to pay off debt, build an emergency fund, and save 6 mos salary all at the same time (effectively).

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-01-2012 03:24:23 PM
Most people in the States use their credit cards to buy stuff they don't have the money for? Do I get this right?

This use of credit cards is completly alien to me.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-01-2012 03:48:11 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Tarquinn squealed:
Most people in the States use their credit cards to buy stuff they don't have the money for? Do I get this right?

Some people do. Not everyone, by any means.

Blindy.
posted 01-01-2012 08:40:30 PM
quote:
Tarquinn must think they're pretty smart:

I would say that the majority of people in the United States do not understand that the minimum payment will not actually pay off your debt in any reasonable amount of time. They buy a $2000 TV or whatever, then pay 100 bucks a month towards it for 5 years.

A recent regulations change required creditors to print on your bill how long it will take you to pay it off at the minimum payment as well as how long it will take at a slightly higher payment, so maybe some people are getting it now, but I doubt it, because our public schools are terrible and we're prioritizing teaching our kids intelligent design over how personal finance works.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-02-2012 12:01:26 AM
quote:
Blindy. startled the peaceful upland Gorillas, blurting:
I would say that the majority of people in the United States do not understand that the minimum payment will not actually pay off your debt in any reasonable amount of time. They buy a $2000 TV or whatever, then pay 100 bucks a month towards it for 5 years.

A recent regulations change required creditors to print on your bill how long it will take you to pay it off at the minimum payment as well as how long it will take at a slightly higher payment, so maybe some people are getting it now, but I doubt it, because our public schools are terrible and we're prioritizing teaching our kids intelligent design over how personal finance works.

Nice baseless rant, dude. I'd argue the majority probably do understand how credit cards work; it's just not fashionable to put them on the news, so you don't hear about the millions of people who use credit responsibly. I'd also be willing to bet a substantial sum that the vast majority of public schools don't teach ID, nor is it a national priority to add it.

Honestly, other than a warm wet feeling of superiority to a straw man of your own construction, what's the point of drivel like that? Hoping Dorothy will skip by and help you get a brain?

Blindy.
posted 01-02-2012 08:46:51 AM
It's hyperbole, maybe you've heard of it?

The facts are that 15% of the country has a credit score of less than 550, which is pretty hard to get without being completely over extended or missing payments left and right. The average US credit score is 692, which represents a mid to high amount of debt and making payments on time, or a reasonable amount of debt and a few missed payments. Only 13% of Americans have credit scores of over 800.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 01-02-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-02-2012 07:03:58 PM
Of course I've heard of it. Usually, though, it has some sort of point, otherwise it ends up being, well, pointless. It's also almost always a bad idea (along with irony, sarcasm, or puns) when answering a cultural question from someone with a different background no matter how well versed in English or Americana.

Gadani
U
posted 01-02-2012 10:46:25 PM
I have way more than $1,000 in savings. I put away savings (or an "emergency fund") every paycheck. Also I have no debt.

Although I appreciate your trying to help, Norim!

Blindy.
posted 01-03-2012 08:24:04 AM
quote:
Gadani likes to say stupid stuff like:
I have way more than $1,000 in savings. I put away savings (or an "emergency fund") every paycheck. Also I have no debt.

Although I appreciate your trying to help, Norim!

These things effect your credit score. They're roughly ordered by importance.

- Available Credit. It should be high enough to show that you aren't the kind of person who maxes out your credit cards all the time, but not so high that there is a risk you will overextend yourself, or that if you got another line of credit it would put you in that situation.

- Payment History. Don't miss any payments. If you have missed payments in the last 5 years but are in good standing with your creditor, sometimes you can call them and get them to remove the late payment record.

- Average Age of Accounts. The older the better. Brand new accounts will lower your score.

- Number of accounts. You want more than one credit account in good standing. Ideally somewhere between 3 and 8.

- Types of accounts. It's good to have at least one credit card or revolving debt account as well as one traditional loan account (I.E. Car Loan)

- Number of recent inquiries. Every time a creditor checks your credit score, you will take a slight ding for a month or so.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: