EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: New Tribes tomorrow!
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 11-03-2011 07:48:29 PM
Tribes Ascend (The beta) starts tomorrow. It will be FTP; but if you give them $30 you'll get into the beta, get some in-game perks, and they'll hug a puppy in your honor.

I want it to be good so badly.

My expectations are already too high.

Initial videos make it seem questionable. As in; it's apprently not a perfect re-skin of Tribes 2.

No matter what I'm going to be disappointed.

Either way, I'm going to kick ass until the noobs get decent at it.

Also, the teens saying that this game is an obvious Halo rip-off make me feel old. No matter how much I rant about how Tribes and Starsiege were around long before the X-Box; they are still dumb.

I'll let you know how it is.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Maradon!
posted 11-03-2011 09:11:36 PM
So what exactly is meant by "Free To Play" these days?

Because I was always given to understand that "Free To Play" games were the sort that you downloaded for free and played for free, and were usually financially supported by some sort of item mall.

But I've heard F2P used in reference to games that you have to buy first, then get to play without a monthly subscription.

I think the thing that annoys me the most about item mall games is that they aren't free at all, even figuratively. The truncated little blip of the game you get to experience without buying funnybux is generally as narrow a preview as the free demo versions that moneycost type games nearly always distribute. Worse still, if you weigh out net cost over the long term, freemium games generally weigh in quite a bit heavier than just shelling out sixty bucks for a new title, a tendency which has not passed unobserved.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-04-2011 12:10:03 AM
League of Legends is perfectly fine if you don't spend a dime
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 11-04-2011 07:37:45 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about dark elf butts:
So what exactly is meant by "Free To Play" these days?

Because I was always given to understand that "Free To Play" games were the sort that you downloaded for free and played for free, and were usually financially supported by some sort of item mall.

But I've heard F2P used in reference to games that you have to buy first, then get to play without a monthly subscription.

I think the thing that annoys me the most about item mall games is that they aren't free at all, even figuratively. The truncated little blip of the game you get to experience without buying funnybux is generally as narrow a preview as the free demo versions that moneycost type games nearly always distribute. Worse still, if you weigh out net cost over the long term, freemium games generally weigh in quite a bit heavier than just shelling out sixty bucks for a new title, a tendency which has not passed unobserved.

Detailed responce to this question from the CEO of THQ

edit; DLC is a potential cash cow for companies.

Companies realize that if they got too greedy and charge a high entry point for a game they will have a lower total number of total purchases. This means that there are less people who will potentially buy their DLC.

There is no known sweet spot for how to handle this yet, so companies are still experimenting.

"Free to pay"/"Free to play" is one method of attempting to maxamize a customer base to create a captive audience willing to pay for DLC.

tldr; It doesn't mean anything anymore. Your mileage may vary.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 11-04-2011 at 07:51 AM.

Dave
)_(
posted 11-04-2011 12:06:31 PM
World of Tanks is also 100% free if you want it to be. You can spend money to earn 50% more money and exp or buy a premium tank. But even those tanks have many other tanks of the same class that can be unlocked via normal play.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-04-2011 05:58:55 PM
quote:
Dave had this to say about Duck Tales:
World of Tanks is also 100% free if you want it to be. You can spend money to earn 50% more money and exp or buy a premium tank. But even those tanks have many other tanks of the same class that can be unlocked via normal play.

Most of the Premium Tanks are "not quite full upgrades" versions of normally obtainable tanks. But they're a bit OP in that all XP they earn can be used on other tanks (if you're willing to spend more real cash).

Been enjoying WoT, but only because I have a few friends to play with. We hit a few rounds to get all of our tanks their Double XP For First Victory bonuses then go shoot zombies the rest of the night.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Maradon!
posted 11-04-2011 07:11:13 PM
"Free LoL" is a profoundly different - and inferior - experience from "Always Buying Stuff LoL"

Developers like to play a shell game so you don't quite feel like you're being gimped, but because their pay services have to be compelling, you are necessarily being gimped.

I'd rather pay upfront for a game.

Dave
)_(
posted 11-04-2011 07:25:25 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Most of the Premium Tanks are "not quite full upgrades" versions of normally obtainable tanks. But they're a bit OP in that all XP they earn can be used on other tanks (if you're willing to spend more real cash).

Once you research all of the options and the next tanks for one tank, you can then take any more experience you earn and pay to covert it to free experience that can be used on anything. Somewhere around 5% of all experience you earn converted into free experience even with out paying.

It is a pretty fun game to play with a friend(s) and just play for fun. Just only play for fun and do not worry about grinding up to play in the high teirs, the game play is the same at low teirs.

Dave fucked around with this message on 11-04-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-04-2011 10:23:23 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Dave wrote:
Once you research all of the options and the next tanks for one tank, you can then take any more experience you earn and pay to covert it to free experience that can be used on anything. Somewhere around 5% of all experience you earn converted into free experience even with out paying.

It is a pretty fun game to play with a friend(s) and just play for fun. Just only play for fun and do not worry about grinding up to play in the high teirs, the game play is the same at low teirs.

Yeah, I know that, but the Premium Tanks start out that way, giving you an advantage. Especially if you're buying things like the Type 59. That Chinese piece of shit pisses me off so much.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-05-2011 12:08:44 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Maradon! said:
"Free LoL" is a profoundly different - and inferior - experience from "Always Buying Stuff LoL"

Developers like to play a shell game so you don't quite feel like you're being gimped, but because their pay services have to be compelling, you are necessarily being gimped.

I'd rather pay upfront for a game.

Free LoL is just fine. The things you lose when compared to not-free LoL:

XP/IP boosts: All this does is slows down your rank up to 30. In theory, you'll get the exact same amount of XP/IP if you don't boost on your way up to 30 as opposed to if you do boost. You just get to 30 in half the time and get double the IP on the way up.

Owning more champs: You can still buy champs with IP, and get access to 10 free ones per week. Many of which are completely viable champions. If you find one you really like, you can buy them with IP. Is it as FAST as buying them with RP? No. But you can buy each and every champion with IP if you so desire.

Skins: Totally cosmetic and not at all necessary. Therefore, not 'gimped'. The type of thing that even a paid game would sell as an additional download or some such.

So basically, you'll advance slower, sure. But there are many, many MANY viable champions that you can easily buy with IP, and you'll have 10 to choose from every week. But when you play those champs, you are at no disadvantage if you face someone else who is playing the exact same champ that has bought them with RP.

Many people at work play LoL, are very good at the game, and have never spent any money on it. Really, in the long run, most people use a max of 5-10 champions anyways. I own more because I have a habit of buying many champions, but still only use 5 or 6 of them on any regular basis.

Your experience in LoL is far from 'gimped' if you choose to play it as 100% F2P. It is nowhere near profoundly different or inferior. It is the exact same game with slower progression. And in LoL, the name of the game isn't progression anyways. So really, I don't get how it is 'profoundly different' to play it for free.

Skaw
posted 11-05-2011 12:09:02 AM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about Cuba:
League of Legends is perfectly fine if you don't spend a dime

Team Fortress as well. Unless you really want those cosmetic items.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 11-05-2011 02:57:49 AM
Played it for about 5 hours now.

First impression: It's the great Tribes Combat, not the amazing Tribes Teamwork.

No voice chat really hurts it so far, hopefully they'll add a native mic system.

Everyone gets 2 loadouts to start. Both medium armors; good to learn the basics on. You spend Tribes Gold to unlock other classes like light and heavy armors/roles.

They've added a round-type currency too. You get it by killing enemies, repairing turrets,etc. Spend it on Vehicles and supply drops; or to upgrade your team's turrets.

It feels like it 'could' be awesome, but that's why it's still in beta.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: