EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Explain Beck.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 10-30-2011 04:10:29 PM
So I met some new friends in a class, and they're about my age. (Early/mid 20's)

We chatted a while after class, and the talk went to bands. Seems everyone likes Beck, a band which I've heard of, but hadn't heard their songs before.

So I grab a few albums of theirs, and the lyrics don't seem to make sense in even an artistic way. What's the appeal here? Any really good songs/albums I should try?

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 10-30-2011 04:52:32 PM
Eh, he had one good song, in my opinion.

Also, how do you explain taste in music?

Edit: Reading the title, I totally thought this was about Glenn Beck.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 10-30-2011 at 04:56 PM.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 10-30-2011 05:47:55 PM
There is no explanation for Glenn Beck.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 10-30-2011 08:06:51 PM
Loser is the only song I can remember. And hell, that was back when I was in HS... ain't heard shit since that was "worth a shit" in any sense...
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-30-2011 10:40:23 PM
"Where It's At" was pretty good, too. Like Tarquinn said, you can't really explain taste.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Peter
Pancake
posted 10-31-2011 12:59:32 AM
I liked New Pollution.
And I think it may be less about the lyrics makeing sense as to how they fit into the beat and rythem of the song.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 10-31-2011 11:13:10 AM
"De gustibus non est disputandum" or perhaps "de gustibus aut bene, aut nihil?"
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-02-2011 04:50:56 PM
Beck is to Bowie what Crystal Pepsi is to Pepsi.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 11-03-2011 06:30:20 PM
Gave 'em another try on different albums, same stuff. I can write off one random person's tastes being different, but all three said they liked his style. Guess we're all a little strange.
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: